PDA

View Full Version : Attention Ladies!!

moosmom
03-27-2003, 07:19 PM
I know alot of you are young and haven't gone through it yet. But I was wondering if any of the women members either have had or now get hot flashes?

I had a hysterectomy 4 years ago, and I have to say that I have never experienced such bad hot flashes until recently. :eek:

Does anyone know of anything that will help them? It gets very embarassing when I start sweating like a pig and have no control over it.

Soledad
03-27-2003, 07:28 PM
Eeeek. My mom has been going through this. I know that she started to take an herbal or soy based estrogen (just something from the supermarket) and it helped things. She also became very irritable and depressed, so watch out and go to the doctor if things get serious.

Porcy
03-27-2003, 07:30 PM
Here I am, lol-lol I'm 57 yrs.old been going thru it,mine should be stopping soon I hope.Was on Prem-pro its the pill for the change,but stoppd it cuz they found out now it can cuz heart-attachs,etc. so now I'm having them mostly at night while trying to sleep,Its terrible feeling. Now I'm taking over the counter,pill its a herbal one called ""New Phase"" Its seems to work but not like prem-pro pill I was on. This is suppose to last for 10yrs. I'm in my 8th. Hope you find relief,if you do let me know what your taking.

micki76
03-27-2003, 07:34 PM
Oh boy!! Whew! After my hysterectomy I had them! Horrible ones! I also had night sweats and a hyperactive thyroid, which makes you hot & sweaty, but you also loose weight :) . I take the prescription medication called Estratest. I had a complete hysterectomy (removed everything) so uterine cancer isn't a risk. I'm actually considering one of the natural supplements though, at the suggestion of my Dr. You may want to try one of those, they're soy based and supposedly much healthier and safer than the synthetic estrogens.
I'm a real witch without my estrogen, so I have to have something!

Rachel
03-27-2003, 07:38 PM
I think I may have had one, but not really sure if is was one or not. I have been very fortunate in that respect. I had a bit of depression, but nothing to speak of and my appetite seemed to have increased, but for the most part I sailed through the big M unscathed.

Porcy
03-27-2003, 07:47 PM
What your over it??

slick
03-27-2003, 07:48 PM
I think you've all gotten the hint my now. I turned 50 last year and have been suffering with all the symptoms for the last 1 1/2 years. There are lots of internet sites out there with good advice but my only advice is....

carry a fan with you at all times :eek:

I've tried the Progesterone cream, the Dong Quai, the Oil of Primrose and nothing helps me at all. Mind you, I have not had a hysterectomy so I don't know if there is special medication for that.

I am able to deal with the hot flashes and weight gain, but what's bothering me is the lack of sleep. I'm lucky if I get 4 hrs a night. I am the talk of the office but there are about 6 of us here that are all going through the same thing. Staff meetings are hilarious because we are all fanning ourselves through the whole "boring" meeting. LOL Wish I could be more helpful.

Porcy
03-27-2003, 07:50 PM
Thats my Biggest one No sleep.

anna_66
03-27-2003, 07:58 PM
I started when I was 21 (I know, I'm weird:rolleyes: ) Almost all the women in my family have gone through it early. And lucky me, I hardly ever had my menstrual cycle, at all.
I found the night sweats to be the worst, I'd wake up, and my clothes were just ringing wet, I had to get up, take a shower & put all new clothes on. And the worst...I wasn't a very nice person:eek: After I finally got on some estrogen (I now take Estratest HS and Prometrium), Mark said he couldn't belive the change in me. Guess he must have really loved me:o

micki76-I also had a hyperthyroidism (small world!) and just last year took the radioactive iodine pill to disolve my thyroid. And now I take Synthroid as a replacement.
Did you get tremors bad? That & the sweating was the worst for me. That's how I found out I had it, I almost passed out at work & they took me to the hospital.

Soledad
03-27-2003, 08:01 PM
OMG, Anna. I've never heard of anyone getting it at 21. That must have been soooo difficult!

I also have problems with my thyroid. It's enlarged, but not underactive yet. I suspect with time I'll get to know the joys of synthroid as well.:rolleyes:

tatsxxx11
03-27-2003, 08:02 PM
:eek: You guys are scaring me!!!!!!!!!!!!:D Actually, I had a friend who was suffering terrible hot flashes. She and her husband would pick me and my husband up for an occasion, us in the back. 30 degrees out AND SHE OPENED ALL THE WINDOWS IN THE CAR!! OMG!!!!!!! She'd yell back......."Too cold for you guys???????? I guess!!:rolleyes::D

kingrattus
03-27-2003, 08:08 PM
several months back I was getting horrible hot flashes caused by 1 of several reactions I was having from a bladder infection med... & I didn't even have a bladder infection :mad: I was only on the meds a few hours & I felt like I couldn't move & them I it felt like my skin was on fire & I started to sweat like a pig... I'm only 20 & I hope I don't get anymore of them... they were so anoying :rolleyes:

but I didn't even know u could take anything for hot flashes.

moosmom
03-27-2003, 08:08 PM
When I first had the surgery, I was put on a hormone replacement therapy patch. It did nothing for the hot flashes. And I do have trouble sleeping. Getting to sleep as well as staying asleep. I finally stopped all hormones (I did research on it and found out it wasn't what doctors thought it would be).

The night sweats are the worst. Especially since Moo sleeps in my arms under the covers. Boy does he ever put off heat!! :eek: The next thing I know, I'm stripping off layers of clothes, sleeping with the ceiling fan on. And you say they last for 10 years?? :eek:

Porcy
03-27-2003, 08:12 PM
You really can't help it.You need to feel cold air,if not your ready to strip the clothes off.I use a fan blowing on me everynight even in the winter,Poor hubby is freezing, lol-lol can't help it.Plus you start to feel claustrophobic in a way if you don't get air fast.

Edwina's Secretary
03-27-2003, 09:27 PM
I have a terrible time getting to sleep and staying asleep. People suggest maybe it is "my age, my hormones." So I went to the doctor about a year ago. This would be great in a way. It would explain my bad moods and depressions, the sleep problem, any weight problem, etc. And...it could be "fixed." The doctor drew blood. A week or so later when I arrived home my husband told me there was a message for me from the doctor on the machine. With an odd grin he stood there while I listen. When it ended with the doctor telling me my hormones were perfectly normal my husband smiled even bigger. "So", he said, "no excuses, you're just a plain b@#$&!"

We still laugh about. It would have been such a good excuse!

ramanth
03-27-2003, 09:49 PM
The Lupron I was put on for my Endo created HORRIBLE hot flashes. :(

The Lupron is not in my system anymore, thankfully.

I hope yours pass soon Donna. They are not fun. :(

All Creatures Great And Small
03-27-2003, 10:58 PM
Anna - I can relate to the early menopause thing - I had my tubes tied when I was 36, and went instantly into menopause after that. Periods just stopped cold, and I had the classic symptoms.
My doctor (who performed the tubal ligation) refused to acknowledge that it could be menopause, so I had to go see another doctor (a woman), who prescribed estrogen and progesterone for me. We also tried some testosterone, but that didn't work too well - my hair got very oily and my acne got worse, so I stopped before I grew a beard (LOL).
After I had been on the hormone combination for a few months, the hot flashes went away and my moods levelled out. I'm still taking hormones daily, even though there are supposed to be risks, but I want to stay "young" for a few more years yet. The way my doctor explained it, the added risk of heart attacks or breast cancer is very minimal, and I decided that I couldn't be miserable like that for the rest of my life.

When I got the hot flashes, it happened at work a lot, and of course, I had to get a bizarre version of them: my whole face wouldn't turn beet red, just MY NOSE and the sides of my ears. I started referring to myself as "Rudolph"! My entire head would break into a sweat, and I would feel like I had a horrible fever.
And yes, Anna, my husband must have really loved me too, because I was EVIL crabby (yes, even more than I am now, if you can believe that :rolleyes: ).

So after I had been on the hormones for TWO YEARS, my regular Dr. asked me who prescribed them and why I was on them, and when I insisted AGAIN that I was in menopause, he ordered some blood tests and then informed me that yes, I was. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Gee, thanks for the news flash, Doc!

lynnestankard
03-28-2003, 05:09 AM
OMG - We're leaning on an open door here aren't we - he he he!

Yes when I started the 'M' word - I thought I was going to die!!
Sweating like a stuffed pig - and the hot flushes (that's what we call 'em here in the UK) were terrible.
Waking up in the night - soaking wet, with enough heat to generate for a city!!
Off I toddled to see the doc., to have it confirmed - was there any doubt!!!?? So I decided there and then - I'm going on HRT - NOW!
And for 7 years I've been great - then three weeks ago an a check-up visit the doc., decides - I should come off HRT! HELP!!
I know there is a slight increase in the chance of breast cancer while on it - but it really helps prevent oestoprosis in later years, seeing as I suffer with arthritis this was one reason for keeping me on HRT. He did warn me - I might slip back into 'M' symptoms for some time - HUH........................so here I am 7 years down the road and back to sweating, flushing, not sleeping etc etc. All I can hope is - it won't last long!
So I carry me fan everywhere, thank God Don is so patient when I open all the windows and declare to all and sundry 'There's no air in here'!!
Lying on top of the bed is back in fashion - no sissy duvets for moi!!
I've got my HUGE electric fan ready and as soon as the temp., is over 70 degrees - on it goes.
Sandra - Are you sure I wasn't your friend - that's just what I'm like in the car!!
Porcy - That's it - claustrophobia!! Awful feeling.:eek:
Donna - What Pandora's box have you opened here!!!?

The Pet Talk 'M' Support Group is now in session!
;) ;) :rolleyes:

Lynne

Cataholic
03-28-2003, 07:41 AM
This is very interesting to me. I am 37 (Anna, we are the same age!!), and I have-maybe twice weekly- incredible night sweats, and have for a really long time. I have three sisters, and of the two I have spoken to about this, BOTh get them. Now, my older sis, Jenna, is probably in periM, and she is like you guys...20 below, and windows open in the car. My younger sis- Jess, gets warm easily, too. BUT, I freeze all day long...it is just at night. I don't know what my point is, but, to also look at other things besides M. For instance, what do you sleep in? And under what? I MUST have my bedroom windows opened year round. Cats love it, and the utility company loves it, but, nothing like sleeping in clammy clothes...also, caffeine does it to me.....

marysmerrycats
03-28-2003, 08:35 AM
Donna
do you take hormones? have you gone to your dr?

moosmom
03-28-2003, 08:46 AM
Hi, my name is Donna and I'm menopausal!! :rolleyes:

I call them "Power Surges". And no, I'm not on hormone replacement therapy. I was in the beginning but stopped them. I haven't been to the doctor in the past year because I moved and I am no longer employed so I don't have any insurance.

My best friend's mother went through early menopause. I was told that it's hereditary. I started taking calcium supplements when a woman told me she had a bone density done. Her doctor said that her body was literally draining all the calcium from her bones. She went on calcium supplements soon after.

I don't have mood swings really. I've been on an even keel pretty much. The problems falling asleep and staying asleep are the biggest pains in the butt, along with Power Surges.

So, I guess that's all part of being female UGH :mad: Guys should go through HALF of what we do. I'm sure they'd stop complaining.

robinh
03-28-2003, 08:48 AM
I'm 49 and had to have a total hysterectomy in October, 2001. Right after surgery they put me on the patch, but we found it really didn't help with any of the symptoms. After that lovely experience, they put me on Cenestin a soy based hormone. Since I started it I haven't had many hot flashes and I sleep pretty good. The only time I do have problems is when I'm under stress and the doctor said that was normal. When I saw her this week, she said I could increase my dose during those times. I told her that since my surgery, I've lost my dad, served as his executor, became the trustee of part of his estate, lost my furbaby Peach and turned 49. I figured that was about as stressed as I could be and since it seemed to be working OK - I'd just stick with what works.

You might want to check with your doctor to see if there is anything they can do. Trouble I've found is that male doctors don't see these symptoms as a problem (because they've never lived through them) and tell you to tough it out. That's why I found a female doctor - she understands.

moosmom
03-28-2003, 08:54 AM
I had a female OB because I figured if anyone would know what I was going through, she would.

It turns out that she was totally ignoring the symptoms I had regarding fibroid tumors. I had awful, painful periods. I finally went to another doctor for a second opinion (a male OB). He sent me for an ultrasound. It was then that they found a cluster of fibroid tumors (up till then I was having them removed every couple of years). I was 45 at the time and knew I wasn't planning on anymore kids so I had the hysterectomy. I do NOT miss the monthly aggravation at all! That's the price to pay.

ILoveMyAbbyGirl
03-28-2003, 08:58 AM
This doesn't include me, sorry. I would help if i knew how. Sorry :(

Edwina's Secretary
03-28-2003, 09:25 AM
I received this (timely!) from my cousin today.

M & M 's

The Woman's Survival Kit

At the first sign of hot flashes eat the RED one.

Eat the ORANGE one to minimize depression.

The GREEN one calms your frustrations, when you want to be left alone.

If you feel a headache coming on eat the PURPLE one.

The BLUE one reduces bloating.

You can eat the"BROWN" ones ANYTIME!!

If all symptoms occur at the same time,
Eat the WHOLE BAG!

moosmom
03-28-2003, 12:04 PM
Chocolate! I LOVE it! Unfortunately the caffeine in chocolate can cause fribroids. And although all my plumbing is gone, I still get them in my boobs :eek: I told my surgeon that I'm having a right bust reduction (they seem to show up in my right boob) by the teaspoonful. :D

They told me I should avoid caffeine. Give up coffee, chocolate and diet soda :confused: ?? NO WAY!!

marysmerrycats
03-28-2003, 01:08 PM
early menopause, LOL how about 36?! thats how old I was when I had a hysterectemy! will be 6 years ago in Sept.

mruffruff
03-28-2003, 03:14 PM
Ah, Yes! I remember it well.

I managed to sweat my way through menopause without any help. Once I knew why I was being more bitchy than usual, ....and crying for no reason,...and dripping buckets in my bed.... I did OK.

My co-workers might think otherwise, however. Fortunately I didn't have a significant other to upset.

Only took 5 years though. Like that's not enough!

Mary

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-28-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by ILoveMyAbbyGirl
This doesn't include me, sorry.

Not to worry, sweetie, it will include you...someday. :D

Talk about timely! I was just going to ask you guys something about this, and here's the thread, already started with a lot of my questions answered already. :D

Hi, my name is Debbie, I've just turned 41, and I think I'm allergic to my hormones, but more than likely I'm just in the early stages of menopause (is that periM? or preM? :confused: ).

This is a really long story, but I'll make it short. I'm somewhat like Cataholic in that all day long at work I have my heater on under my desk because I'm freezing. And when I first crawl in bed at night I'm fine with all the covers on. Somewhere around midnight or so (depending on Tubby's night wanderings) I wake up and cannot get back to sleep until I turn the ceiling fan on and throw all the covers off. I finally get back to sleep, and when I wake up around 5:00 am, I'm freezing again because the fan is going and I've got no covers on me! :eek: This morning I realized I was subconciously trying to snuggle up with Tubby for the warmth. :D Only a couple of times have I woke up and been in a full sweat. It's more like something wakes me up and I just can't get back to sleep because I'm warm. Terry thinks I'm crazy. "The windchill is 20 below and you want the fan on!??!!" :rolleyes: He doesn't ask anymore, just rolls his eyes and turns it on. :)

I guess I need to go home and ask my mom about when she went through it because I remember her briefly mentioning it once, but don't remember any details. I know she did not take hormones and had a heart attack, and my Aunt (the one that just got the cat, my mom's sister) did take hormones and has no heart problems what-so-ever. I don't know if she's still taking the hormones since that last report came out. I was already to take the hormones because my family has a history of heart disease, but now it sounds like I shouldn't - once the time comes that is.

So what you guys are telling me is what I have to look forward to is more sleepless nights and being even hotter at night than I already am? Sheesh, I think God could have done a little better job when he was creating all this female hormone stuff. :rolleyes: ;) :eek: :D :D

Edwina's Secretary
03-28-2003, 04:28 PM
One of the reasons I married my husband....he likes the window open at night -- all year round! A friend wanted me to do some alterations and went in our room to change. (This was in December!) The window was open and the ceiling fan on (as it is 24/7.) It was 62 degrees. She was appalled. Good sleeping!

The very THOUGHT of flannel sheets is horrifying to me. I have already put the winter blanket away.

Needless to say...Edwina LOVES to sleep on me. I make a great furnace!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-28-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
I have already put the winter blanket away.

Me too, and again Terry thought I was losing it. :D

Porcy
03-28-2003, 06:13 PM
I think this thread is GREAT.Now I don't feel so alone,sweating to death and losing sleep.Does anyone know For Sure if it really does stop aftr 10 years. I hate this.

lynnestankard
03-29-2003, 03:16 AM
It better had Porcy!! :D

Last night we went to our usual Friday night line dancing club - I haven't been doing any dancing since the accident - but love to go along and see friends - - - - and blabber!!
Anyhoo - last night they played one or two old dances from waaaay back when - so we all got on the floor and had a real good laugh - trying to remember them - with my brain, no chance.
So I did two dances and went off to sit down and gulp a cold drink and FAN myself like a lunatic!! D'you know at least five KIND people told me I looked flushed - or - a little red in the face. YEE GODS!! How tactful is that!:D :mad: :D Course Don and our friends thought it was simply hilarious - IT SHOULD HAPPEN TO MEN!!!!:eek: :( :confused: :p
Sorry - rant over - I want my HRT back - whimper!!

Lynne

03-29-2003, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by lynnestankard
IT SHOULD HAPPEN TO MEN!!!!:eek: :( :confused: :p

Lynne

he he, that is soooo right!!
I only discovered this thread this morning!
How interesting and what a great idea to talk about it here!

I have those hot flashes regularly. Sometimes I have to get out of my bed 3 times to change clothes!! I am not sure if it is my menopauze, because those shots for my back have this side-effect too! (cortizone)
If it goes on like this, I will have to have my blood tested!

ChrisH
03-29-2003, 06:02 AM
Suffered as you all did until I went on HRT around 6 or so years ago. It did the trick and I am quite happy to stay on it until the doc says no more!:)

Chris

Pam
03-29-2003, 02:07 PM
Watching my mom go through menopause scared the c*** out me. She would cry at the drop of a hat and even my dad told me to tread lightly around her. Fortunately I didn't have too much trouble at all. In actuality the years preceding the Big M were worse (I think they are now called the peri-menopausal years). That's when I had the hot flashes but they were fortunately all at night - and yes I can relate to waking up soaking wet. In fact before that I was always cold at night, turning the electric blanket way up while hubby kept his side way down. When I had the night sweats we were more or less on the same page for the first time! :) Unfortunately that was around the time that he began his thunderous snoring which ultimately was my undoing. I was having enough trouble staying asleep and then sleeping next to someone who sounded like a jet taking off was more than I could bear. These days I feel fine hormonally and never did need medication or HRT, but I wish there was a pill I could give him to be quiet at night! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Thank goodness there is a spare bedroom. :rolleyes:

moosmom
03-29-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by lynnestankard
IT SHOULD HAPPEN TO MEN!!!!
Lynne

I wish!! It darn well BETTER end after 10 years :mad: It already SEEMS like 10 years. I've got another 6 years to go. UGH!! :mad:

Porcy
03-29-2003, 07:49 PM
Lol-Lol One thing is the people that are stll on HRT aren't you afraid of what they found out about it now. I would be on it still but thnking back everytime I had my blood pressure read it was low like 46.48 that was the bottom number ad always felt cold day and night. It felt so good though.Lol-Lol