PDA

View Full Version : Oh the smell of....

Cookiebaker
03-27-2003, 06:42 PM
*COW Manure???* :eek::eek::eek:

Today was soo gorgeous that on my way home from work I had the windows rolled down. I had forgotten the smell of a farm in the early spring...and yes,...it was enjoyable. :o I'm loving this springtime weather. Anybody else??

moosmom
03-27-2003, 06:48 PM
Cookiebaker,

I used to live in the country. The smell of cow manure was so bad I couldn't leave my windows open. But, that's the price we pay for fresh fruits and veggies, right?

Yes, I am definitely enjoying the weather. It was in the high 60's today in Michigan.

Come on summer!!

RICHARD
03-27-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Cookiebaker

Today was soo gorgeous that on my way home from work I had the windows rolled down. I had forgotten the smell of a farm in the early spring...and yes,...it was enjoyable. :o I'm loving this springtime weather. Anybody else??

LOLOLOLOL...

my experience was a tad more sedate, walking out of the house last night i caught the gentle scent of a jasmine plant somewhere on the premises..just a hint, wafting on the breeze, i inhaled and thought to myself,

'that plant is gonna overpower the whole freaking neighborhood on a few months!!!':eek: :eek: :eek:

Andie
03-27-2003, 06:52 PM

Ah yes! The smell I'm not gonna be able to get away from for months! (the farmers around here use it on their fields) As for if I'm ready for spring, I guess I'm as ready as I'll ever be. I'm ready for the warm weather (too bad the temps are gonna crash this weekend 48 as a high) I just hate the rainy weather that is spring (and summer and fall) LOL

anna_66
03-27-2003, 06:53 PM
Let's see "Cow Manure" VS "Jasmine plant", sorry Anna, but I have to go with the Jasmine, I despise the smell of a farm:p

But I do enjoy the fresh smell of spring:)

marysmerrycats
03-27-2003, 07:11 PM
eeeeww! when I saw the post title, I thought it would be some GOOD smell, LOL:eek:

The Cat Factory
03-27-2003, 07:33 PM
Ewww! Yuck! I hate the smell of Cow Manuer!

lovemyshiba
03-27-2003, 09:52 PM
There's a dairy not far from where I work, and the other day you could smell it in the parking lot--not a refreshing smell, but it does mean spring is here!!!!

Cookiebaker
03-28-2003, 05:23 AM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
There's a dairy not far from where I work, and the other day you could smell it in the parking lot--not a refreshing smell, but it does mean spring is here!!!!

Yes, that's more towards what I was meaning. I had forgotten what the outdoors smelled like, driving to work everyday with the windows up tight. I have spring fever sooooo bad!!! :rolleyes:

lynnestankard
03-28-2003, 05:36 AM

I was another thinking - oh goody nice smells i.e. bread baking, coffee, bacon frying, lavendar and what do we get? POO
Thanks Anna!!:D :D
BTW - I mowed the lawn yesterday and the smell here was much nicer!!!
(as she crawls off - moaning and whimpering - 'oh my back'..............................!!!)

Lynne

jenluckenbach
03-28-2003, 05:49 AM
I have been inhaling the outdoor air a lot more deeply lately, now that the weather is warming up. Just the simple fact that it is not COLD is a pleasure to me. But even without flowers or farm, it smells quite good. Welcome SPRING !!!

sasvermont
03-28-2003, 06:31 AM
I live between two farms with cows, fields and pits .... needless to say, spring is in the air. When I first moved here my eyes would water from the air stinking with the scent of cow manure but now I recognize that it is a sign of spring and then summer! The other issue here is the cluster flies. They live for only a couple of days ... stay high in the windows and house parts... the cats like to eat the live ones! Ugh.

Where is that Easter bunny?

SAS

Cataholic
03-28-2003, 09:06 AM
POOH? Nope, can't say I enjoy it...but, I see your point...

Dakota's Mommy
03-28-2003, 09:43 AM
LOL, I can never say I loved that type of smell, but I do love the smell of spring with the flowers blooming, etc. Especially when I was living at my parents and my bedroom window went into the backyard where most of mom's flowers were. Wow, especially that tree right next to my window that when a nice wind came through the window, I got the smell full strength. Ahhhhh!

03-28-2003, 10:05 AM
COW MANURE ???

How about PIG MANURE ??? Smells even more yuckie:eek: :eek: :eek:

But it is like someone said: anything for some good veggies, hey:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Vermontcat
03-28-2003, 01:18 PM
We have it here too. It is part of the joy of living in cow country but I prefer it to city smells and pollution.
But I really don't mind the smell of a horse barn!;)
http://monyscurry.com/cowani.gifhttp://monyscurry.com/ko.gif http://monyscurry.com/ko.gif http://monyscurry.com/ko.gif http://monyscurry.com/ko.gif http://monyscurry.com/ko.gif

wolflady
03-28-2003, 01:39 PM
LOL LOL LOL
I know what you mean! I used to think my sister was nuts because she liked the smell of cow manure "on the wind". She would say "ahh....the fresh country air!" LOL :eek: LOL

But yes, I do love the scent of spring. Richard, I was sitting by our open back screened door petting the stray kitty that has moved into the backyard, and it was breezy and smelled like jasmine tea! It smelled so nice!! :D

Where I live in Gilroy, CA....I get overpowering garlic smell quite often! I do live in "the garlic capitol" :eek:!

RICHARD
03-28-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by wolflady

Where I live in Gilroy, CA....I get overpowering garlic smell quite often! I do live in "the garlic capitol" :eek:!

i want to go during the garlic festival......garlic ice cream!!!

Desert Arabian
03-28-2003, 03:26 PM
Hey Cookiebaker, you think the smell is bad in New Hampshire, um, come to Wisconsin "America's Dairyland". LOL!!! :D :D :D That's all you smell here. :p

ramanth
03-28-2003, 03:40 PM
LOL!!!! Growing up in the country, I always took the smell of manure for an approching spring. :D

It doesn't smell that great, but you learn to live with it. :)

I've cleaned a few horse stalls in my day. ;)

wolflady
03-28-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
i want to go during the garlic festival......garlic ice cream!!!

LOL LOL
Don't forget the garlic wine!! :eek: LOL ;)

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-28-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by wolflady
She would say "ahh....the fresh country air!"

Exactly!!! That's what we always said. :D I'm not a farm girl, but I am a country girl having grown up in Northern WI surrounded by fields that the farmers just loved to spread with fresh manure. Actually, plain old manure isn't bad, the old fashioned way, but this liquid manure they have these days is horrendous! My mom walks 5 miles every morning and she says when the farmers have just spread the fields, she has to undress in the basement by the washing machine before coming upstairs because just in that 5 miles the smell will get so embedded in her clothes that if she comes in the house with them on, the house will reek for days! :D

One of the first times I brought Terry to my parents, as we got further North we could get wiffs here and there and the one time I said "Aaaahhhhh...fresh country air." He, being born and raised in Chicago, looked at me like I had lost my mind and said "What are you talking about? It smells like cow s.... to me." :rolleyes: ;) :D