PDA

View Full Version : Diet tips that helped me to lose over 85 pounds.

jenluckenbach
03-27-2003, 05:40 PM
First I'd like to say that this is a lifestyle change. Not something that you do just to lose some wieght and go back to what you've been doing. NO....it doesn't work that way. I gained myself up to a size 24 doing that. I learned to eat right and am down to a size 12 and have been for over 2 years.

1) prepare to use sheer willpower. After a while it will become second nature, but not at first.

2) Always choose no-fat or low fat alternatives for fattening foods.
......ex) fat free mayonaise, skim or 1 % milk, 97% fat free ground beef...etc.

3) THINK FIBER! (whole grain)
......ex) whole wheat bread (and check your label. They WILL try to fool you. Not all wheat bread is WHOLE wheat bread), Brown rice instead of white rice and cereals with fiber not just sugar

4) Eat your vegetables!!!!! very important. Believe it or not it is the innocent veggie on your plate that fills you up. I found this out buy trial and error.

5) Eat fruit too. and not the kind packed in sugary syrup either.

6) Don't drink your calories. Read that bottle of soda or fruit drink to see how many calories you could cut out just by choosing diet soda or sugar free drink mixes.

7) Bulk up a sandwich.
......ex) a typical sandwich for me: Whole wheat bread, 1 slice fat free cheese, a few slices of low fat cold cuts (like healthy choice), a layer of raw spinach (which is much more nutritious that lettuce)and a layer of sprouts (broccoli sprouts are PACKED with vitamins!)
A sandwich like this (vs one with just meat ansd cheese) will really fill you up

8) Don't fry. Bake, broil or roast.

9) Chose lean meats, poultry or fish (if you eat meat)

As I remember more of the things that helped me I will gladly post them and feel free to ask specific questions. I am NOT an expert, but I am living proof that it can be done. Best of luck to those who need to try this.

NoahsMommy
03-27-2003, 05:48 PM
Because I have to continously watch what I eat, I can attest to Jen's tips above. I eat like this every day.

My only suggestion would be to stay away from anything claiming to be the low-fat version....only because it takes a whole lot of chemicals to make it that way. This is just my preferance...I'm kind of wierd when it comes to additives. (Actually, my food sensitivity test proved that I have adverse reactions to them.)

If you like Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia or Chocolate Brownie, they make a frozen yogurt version that is amazing and less than half the fat.

Great advice on the fiber thing...fiber fills you up and is so healthy for most people. :)

popcornbird
03-27-2003, 06:27 PM
85 pounds?!?!?! :eek: :eek: :eek:

If I lost that much, I would be no more! ;)

LOL! :) Thanks for the tips! We do eat a pretty low-fat diet, but I have to admit, while we always have both whole wheat and white bread in the house, I almost always go for the white bread. :o My mom tries to get me to EAT the whole wheat, but I love white. I guess I'll have to sacrifice it for a while and eat the whole wheat. I don't eat much red meat or rice. I prefer a tortilla type of bread we make at home which is 80% whole wheat and chicken. I do eat lots of veggies these days, but by force. I like cooked veggies but not raw. As a child, I would always take the salad out of my plate. I hated it. Now I'm in my teens and I guess I realize that I NEED those veggies. LOL I don't eat a lot. Sometimes when my parents are out and no one reminds me to eat, I forget to eat breakfast AND lunch. I know, not good, but that's me. I forget about eating. :rolleyes: I'll try to improve my diet and increase my exercise. Thanks!

What about exercise? Did you workout a lot or you just changed your diet and lifestyle? :confused:

Oh and BTW, I tried drinking 1% milk and nonfat (which my mom drinks) but it just disgusts me. :( I looks like white water. I go with 2%. :p

anna_66
03-27-2003, 06:35 PM
Mark had to change his eating habits because he had high cholestrol (sp?), and we did the exact same thing you did! I went from a size 13 down to a size 5, but now I've leveled off at a 7. And I'm happy with that, it's just I need to tone up, exercise:rolleyes: This is the thing I hate the most!

They also say fiber helps you loose weight, so eat as much as you can. And don't forget, drink lots and lots of water!!!

Nomilynn
03-27-2003, 06:37 PM
For a lot of people the carbs are the killer. They break down into sugar, which translates to fat! They also make you feel really sluggish and tired. However, carbs are my favourite also! So taking the whole wheat route is the best option :)

Oh Pops.. I used to drink 2% milk but now I feel like I am drinking a glass of cream when I drink it!!!! UGH!! When I was diagnosed with diabetes, the docs told me - cut out 2%!!!! they wanted me to go straight to skim, but I couldn't do it. I eventually got used to 1%, then when I moved in with a friend, I got used to skim. Now I can't bear to drink anything in else, not even on cereal!! I do use 2% for baking though.

I've just joined a gym, and even after only two workouts, I feel a difference. The first day my heart was going crazy, but today I was much more able to keep it in target range. Exercise, when you are able to do it, really does help!!! That's something I've tried to avoid all my life, but I'm already feeling better! :)

slick
03-27-2003, 06:46 PM
Oh boy....do I ever need to lose weight. However as the saying goes, it's not what you are eating....it's what's eating you and if you don't feel good about yourself inside, all the dieting in the world isn't going to help. It's just something I'm working on.

tatsxxx11
03-27-2003, 07:10 PM
Speaking as a nurse, I say GOOD FOR YOU, Jen!!!:) Those are good tips not only for those looking to lose weight, but looking to choose a healthy lifestyle! For those who don't need to lose wt. or may even need to gain wt. like myself, greater volumes of healthier foods is the way to go! You deserve a BIG round of applause, Jen!! Good for you! Noah's Mommy, great advice!

And might I add:

7-9 servings of fruits and veggies...That's right! But, a serving is only about 1/2 cp! 1 8oz glass of OJ is "two servings" of fruit! A nice sized mixed salad at dinner is around 3 servings; maybe 4!

25 Gms. of fiber. And don't be fooled by "wheat bread vs. white." Most "whole wheat" breads have no more nutrional value, or GMs. of fiber, than white. Look for a lot of the Peppridge Farms breads like Country Oat and Nine Grain, and Branola. A whopping 3 Gms.per slice! One medium sized bowl of Post Raisin Bran and you're 1/3 of the way there for the day. And beans, beans, beans! Throw em in your salad!:D

Lo fat, no fat does NOT mean low calorie! Don't over indulge!

Soledad
03-27-2003, 07:13 PM
Tats,

What do you think of the Atkins Diet?

AmberLee
03-27-2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11
Lo fat, no fat does mean low calorie! Don't over indulge!

Sandra -- I think there's a typo in your last sentence! Don't you mean "does not (or not necessarily?) mean low calorie"?

At least that's the impression I get from a lot of food labels. Drat the manufacturers! :rolleyes: :eek:

Rachel
03-27-2003, 07:24 PM
Jen, I agree with everything you have said. The only thing I would add, which helps me, is to plan ahead what you are going to eat at a given meal. Don't wait until you get hungry and then decide. If you have your mind prepared for a certain thing to eat, you are more likely to follow through. The one thing you mentioned that I have not been able to switch to is the brown rice, but I totally agree about the 100% whole wheat. We buy the Butternut variety at Sam's Club. It is tasty but two slices will really fill you up. Sometimes only half a sandwich is enough.

My noon meal is generally a salad. I am very curious what other people put in their salads. This is what I have in mine.

Baby spinach, or Romaine, or Red leaf lettuce
Green onions
baby carrots, cut up
sliced radishes
Tomatoes
sliced mushrooms
sliced almonds
and if I have one, slices of avacado
Fat free Western dressing

tatsxxx11
03-27-2003, 07:41 PM
Good for healthy, younger people wishing to loose a few extra pounds...BUT, I've done a lot of researching, spoken with cardiologist, nephrologist friends, etc. and it is just NOT the diet to choose for those who have a real weight issue rooted in a lifetime of poor eating habits. You do lose the wt., and quickly! And if you're ready to adopt a completely new approach to eating after you've lost the wt., i.e, keeping the calories down, uping the fruits and veggies, exercising, etc. great. But few take that route, return to their old eating habits and the pounds return...just as fast! The diet is not only inherently, incredibly, high in fat and cholesterol, as well, the physiological impact is to put the person in a false diabetic state...ketoacidosis. People actually test their urine with Ketodiastix to see if they're "purple." As a nurse, this makes my hair curl!! It puts a tremendous strain on the kidneys. There is a lot of debate in the medical community re: the negative impact of this diet. But, when one can achieve the same desired effect, losing wt., while at the same learning healthy, lifelong eating habits, I feel that's the preferred way to go. As with most "fad" diets, there's a hook that lures you in. With Atkins, it's the idea of eating as much as you want of mayo, butter, eggs, cheese, meat!!! But I have heard from friends that it isn't long before the patina wears off and the dieter, sick of eggs without the toast, prime rib without the baked potato, begins craving fruits, veg's, pasta, etc. It's always what you can't have that you want!:D The most successful dieter I ever met was a woman who just slowly cut back on her portions. She didn't deny herself anything, just cut back. It was a slow, almost imperceptable loss. But over the period of a year she lost over 50lbs., had totally revamped her approach to food and has kept the wt. off for 5 yrs. now! People wonder why the French, whose cuisine/daily diet includes cheeses, rich sauces, great breads, etc. do not suffer the high rate of obesity/heart disease seen in other western countries!!! Well, they don't eat half a wheel of a cheese at a sitting.:D They indulge in and enjoy their favorite foods, but not in the volume as some other cultures. Personally, I love the mediterranean based diets...Greek, Middle Eastern, etc. SO full of flavor, veggies, fruits, tasty meats in smaller portions, salads, nuts and legumes...As the ancient Greeks said, "Everything in moderation!" I think that's the way to go. Don't deny yourself, just cut back. And exercise!!! Even if it's a short walk in the morning and evening to start! It all adds up!:) And Soledad, I made your banana bread last night! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't think this is the thread to tell you how much I ate!!:D It was wonderful! Thanks so much for the recipe!

tatsxxx11
03-27-2003, 07:42 PM
:D:D:D Thanks Pauline!!! Wishful thinking???? I stand CORRECTED!!!:)

Soledad
03-27-2003, 07:47 PM
"And Soledad, I made your banana bread last night! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Yay! I was hoping someone would. I made it a couple of days ago, and let's just say there's not a crumb left. :D

tatsxxx11
03-27-2003, 07:52 PM
And why WOULD there be????;) Ok, keep em coming Soledad...! More recipes, that is! Only for special occasions, of course! (Like when I'm hungry and wanting something yummy!:)) I am going to have the last piece right NOW! Thanks, friend!

AmberLee
03-27-2003, 11:07 PM
Wow, there are some great ideas here.

One tip that helped me (several diets ago) is rather than put dressing or syrup (low cal of course) on your salad/breakfast is to have a little bowl and dip a forkful in at a time. It coats the item rather than drench the item and you get all the flavor much fewer calories. (Well, that sounds a lot more complicated than it really is.... )

Writing down everything I eat BEFORE I eat helps me a lot too.

Thanks for the tips, all! Keep 'em coming.

Note: I was on the Atkins diet in the 70s and lost a lot of weight, but it was hard on my health and I gained it all back plus when I was off the diet. :( :mad: :rolleyes: Just as Sandra stated... I have higher hopes for the Weight Watchers regime.

shais_mom
03-28-2003, 12:38 AM
Those are excellant tips Jen!!
And congratulations! What a role model! :)

Kater
03-28-2003, 01:02 AM
My nutrition advice is GO VEGAN!

Soledad
03-28-2003, 02:14 AM
When I went vegan my poo turned all weird and gooey. Not only that, but I gained weight. All my friends had the same experience. Blech.:(

Kater
03-28-2003, 02:46 AM
I'm sorry you had that experience, Soledad. My guess would be that you didn't have a properly balanced vegan diet, maybe you forgot fibrous whole grains? There is also an adjustment period because your body will go through changes including a lengthening of the intestines, but if you were vegetarian before then....I don't know if there would be much change. Anyway, I want to assure Pet Talkers that not all vegans have this experience. I don't appreciate unfair representation of the vegan diet. For example, I think all these recent articles about vegan mothers deficient in B12 giving birth to children with defects are disproportionately represented. There are well thought out vegan diets and not so well thought out ones.

If you cut one thing out of your diet make it trans fatty acids or anything labeled hydrogenated. Among the most important dietary changes in protecting arteries is avoiding foods that contain trans fatty acids! Recently the FDA asked the National Institute of Medicine to study trans fatty acids and come up with a “daily allowance” number that could make its way onto food labels. That report found that NO LEVEL of trans fatty acids is considered "safe." If you eat any commercially prepared foods, particularly baked goods, chances are you are getting a fair amount of TFAs in your diet. Read your labels! They have recently required labeling of trans fatty acids if present.

Soledad
03-28-2003, 02:55 AM
Sorry if I misrepresented things. There are a lot of misconceptions about veganism.

I was a vegetarian prior to being vegan. I was a vegetarian for two years. When I went vegan, I did it in a very researched and well-thought out manner. It did not agree with me. And it did not agree with my other friends who tried it (for a minimum of 3 months and a max of 6 months). But that was just us three.

However, anyone who is going to go vegan. You need to do A LOT of research. You will also have to deal with shopping at new places and thinking about your food A LOT more (it takes something similar for any kind of dietary lifestyle change). I also don't think that it's right to be pregnant and vegan. Sorry.

My problem with veganism is that a lot of the kids that tell you to go vegan do so because they have the time, energy and resources to do so. I disliked it when my vegan friends would say that everyone should go vegan and discount the fact that it takes a lot of time, energy and money. It's simply not feasible for your average family.

popcornbird
03-28-2003, 02:56 AM
I would die if I became a vegan. Vegetarian is one thing, but vegan? No way.......................

That would mean no eggs and milk and cheese right? Where do you get your protein then? I believe humans need some form of animal protein (not much but we do need it), so I would never ever become a vegan. I can't live without cheese or eggs or especially milk. Vegetarians still get animal protein from dairy products and eggs etc. I believe the only source of protien for vegans would be lentils or soybean. I could definitely not survive on that. :p

Kater
03-28-2003, 04:05 AM
That would mean no eggs and milk and cheese right? Where do you get your protein then?

I get protein from ALL the whole plant foods I eat. Protein intake needs to be considered both in terms of quantity and quality. How much protein we need is determined by weight as well as activity level. I know exactly how many grams I need per day. However, I had no clue before I became vegan and actually took charge of my nutrition. There are nine amino acids identified as "essential" and it is not possible to get all of these from just one plant source. My dietary protein comes from vegetables, legumes, tofu, tempeh, seitan, veggie "meats", nuts, seeds, soymilk, grain milks, grains & fruits.

This site depicts the "Actual Food Pyramid" : http://www.vegsource.com/articles/milk_pyramid.htm

Meat-eaters often eat twice as much protein as recommended by the RDA. Diets too high in protein provide excess amounts of the sulfur-containing amino acids methionine and cysteine. These amino acids, most concentrated in animal foods, increase loss of calcium! Animal protein raises blood cholesterol level, while plant protein lowers it. Animal protein also comes along with saturated fat and cholesterol-- both well linked to chronic diseases, especially heart disease.

For me, veganism forced me to become much more aware of what I put into my body. While I was skeptical about getting all the nutrients I need on a vegan diet, I have found that I can very easily obtain them. If anyone wants to know more or has any questions please feel free to PM me!

Jen, I have yet to congratulate you on taking control of your health and making significant changes! CONGRATULATIONS! I wish you continued good health!

Vio&Juni
03-28-2003, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11
It's always what you can't have that you want!:D

This is the biggest problem with diets!!!!

The most successful dieter I ever met was a woman who just slowly cut back on her portions. She didn't deny herself anything, just cut back. It was a slow, almost imperceptable loss. But over the period of a year she lost over 50lbs., had totally revamped her approach to food and has kept the wt. off for 5 yrs. now! People wonder why the French, whose cuisine/daily diet includes cheeses, rich sauces, great breads, etc. do not suffer the high rate of obesity/heart disease seen in other western countries!!! Well, they don't eat half a wheel of a cheese at a sitting.:D They indulge in and enjoy their favorite foods, but not in the volume as some other cultures.

A friend of mine (Moldovan) was in NYC before Christmas (not his first time, btw). He was SHOCKED!!!!! of the size of the portion :eek: :eek: :eek: It was even bigger than his previous times in US! And it was at least five times bigger than in Moldova. Also, tasteless. (I hope no American will take it as an offend).
Actually, this is how I lost some weight too, just eating a bit less. Also, less salt, less sugar, less fat. I still eat meat (I don't even hope to become a vegetarian :( ), even pork, but mostly of animals fed with healthy food. I HATE additives, I try to eat only natural food. I may be wrong and it is NOT proven scientifically, but I think this is what can change the structure of the body (like those poor birds they feed with all kind of hormones to have them big in 2 months).
My fridge is always empty, this way I avoid a midnight snack ;). I cook for every meal just enough for us three.
AND EXERCISES, EXERCISES AND EXERCISES AGAIN. At least a 15 minutes walk in the morning and the same in the evening. It's not only for weight and look, it's for heart, for lungs, for stomach, for yourself.

PayItForward
03-28-2003, 09:04 AM
as i now feel so unhealthy !!

I am meant to be on a healthy eating plan but I'm not as good as you guys.

I have lost 27 pounds over the last 7 months but I have a lot more to lose (not saying how much. it's too much to think about)

I'm trying to exercise more (my bugbear), food wise I am slowly changing my eating habits.

My aims are :-
:Smaller portions
:Lower fat if possible
:Small amount of food I crave for i.e. Salted Cinema popcorn. As if you told me i could never eat that popcorn again, I would go mad.
:Eating more fruit & veg

But some days I eat too much or don't exercise but I'm slowly getting better and I can't/won't eat wholemeal bread. But I make my own white bread and low fat pitta bread at home, no additives

Oh and I have wrote a database, in which I note down daily, all food consumed, my weight/body fat ratio and any exercise completed.
This shows me how on track I am.

Well done Jen, what an achievement

03-28-2003, 10:09 AM
Great tips, Jen!!
In fact, this is what WeightWatchers recommend too!
Congrats on what you've achieved!! CHAPEAU!!!

Cataholic
03-28-2003, 10:25 AM
Jen,
You are truly a role model...proving that it doesn't take some fancy schmancy lifestyle to improve your health. If I remember correctly, you didn't go hog wild on exercise, either, did you?

I have picked up probably 20 pounds in the last two years...and really feel it! I was doing some looking around at various diets (and really, whatever you choose to call it, it is a diet..even if it is chips and burgers...that is just an 'unhealthy' diet). I picked up the Zone book...well, after my girlfriend, her boyfriend and my brother talked it up, and was amazed at the information in it. Even if you don't follow it, it is really an eye opener as to what constitutes a carb! Like, all fruits and veggies? How many of us hold the thought that as long as it is a fruit or a veggie, it is a 'harmless' snack/meal, etc? I know I did! I thought absolutely nothing of eating an entire can of peaches (even packed in own juice) for dinner, and thinking, "well, that might have not been balanced, but, it was 'good for me'" . Not anymore.

Tips that work for me? Think before I eat. Portion control, portion control, portion control. Pack your lunch. I now pack a weeks worth of lunch on Sunday night. I am ready for the week, no more running out of the house sans lunch. Cook/freeze on Sundays. Then, pop your dinner in the fridge the night before, and you are ready by the time you get home from work. Pay yourself first....exercise wise. If before work isn't an option, then pack your clothes up, and change at work, and stop somewhere on the way home and walk. I have NEVER gone to exercise, and said to myself afterwards, "I feel worse". BUT, I always feel worse by not doing it...hmmmm

Rachel
04-01-2003, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by Kater

If you cut one thing out of your diet make it trans fatty acids or anything labeled hydrogenated. Among the most important dietary changes in protecting arteries is avoiding foods that contain trans fatty acids! Recently the FDA asked the National Institute of Medicine to study trans fatty acids and come up with a “daily allowance” number that could make its way onto food labels. That report found that NO LEVEL of trans fatty acids is considered "safe." If you eat any commercially prepared foods, particularly baked goods, chances are you are getting a fair amount of TFAs in your diet. Read your labels! They have recently required labeling of trans fatty acids if present.

I have been seeing more and more information about this and was amazed to find out that even dry breakfast cereal can contain this. Dry cereal is the mainstay of our breakfasts and of the six varieties we had on hand, three contained the words *partially hydrogenated* in the ingredients. Trying to stay clear of this stuff is going to be a challenge.

2kitties
04-01-2003, 11:22 AM
I just love to eat. All the time, all kinds of things. There's almost nothing I wouldn't do to enable myself to endulge in pizza. Not to say I do that all the time. I try to keep it to weekends. Although I try to eat relatively healthy and take necessary vitamins and herbs, I am not very good at dieting.

But I am a firm believer in a healthy body and increasing metabolism. It's not just good for weight problems, but it will help us all live longer, healther, happier lives.

I work out at least an hour 5 days per week. Then stay active on other days. I train in kickboxing, yoga, pilates and I run. I weight train twice weekly. I realize that not everyone has time for that much. But it is so important that I think everyone should FIND at least a half hour of cardio three times weekly. Just for heart health.

Yoga and pilates have made a huge difference in how I feel. I was a dancer for 12 years growing up and, as an adult, I missed the tone and flexibility. I'm slowly regaining that and feeling like a whole new person.

It takes a little while to get into your excercise routine. And, if you don't stick with it for at least 6 weeks so you can see some results, you are likely to quit. But, if you get over that hump, it will become your favorite time of day--- especially if your gym happens to have a steam room and a day care center!

2kitties
04-01-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Cataholic
Pack your lunch.

Pay yourself first....exercise wise. If before work isn't an option, then pack your clothes up, and change at work, and stop somewhere on the way home and walk. I have NEVER gone to exercise, and said to myself afterwards, "I feel worse". BUT, I always feel worse by not doing it...hmmmm

Amen to all that Cataholic!! Packing a lunch is the easiest thing I can think of to make a big difference!

And another amen to the excercise change at work. I always go from work. If I get home, I'll get busy and won't go. It always makes me sleep better at night as well.

Reward or bribe yourself to excercise. When I lose my motivation, I buy myself some new workout clothes/shoes. I get excited to wear them. If you aren't a shopping horse like me, try my other trick. It tell myself I that if I finish the workout, then I can sit in the whirlpool or steam room at the gym for 20 minutes. Bribery goes a long way with me.;)