PDA

View Full Version : The perfect breed!

TollSettFK
12-11-2001, 10:44 AM
My brother is looking into a dog and here r his requirements: Small ( 35-40 pounds, about 20 inches high)Very Loyal, Medium energy level ( NOT hyper, but NOT a couch potato) not to willfull, easy to train, very smart, and under 800 dollars from most breeders. ( not toooo rare, if ya know what I mean)

jackiesdaisy1935
12-11-2001, 10:50 AM
I would suggest a STANDARD SCHNAUZER, I understand they weigh about 35 to 40 pounds, extremely loyal, excellent watchdog, no shedding, very smart, medium energy level.
Jackie

DoggiesAreTheBest
12-11-2001, 11:17 AM
How did I know that Jackie was going to suggest a schnauzer! He! He! :D (Just playing with your Jackie!)

I am sorry I don't think I have any suggestions. Not too familiar with energy level of mid sized dogs. I just wanted to tease Jackie.

12-11-2001, 11:52 AM
I would say golden retreiever...Oops
they are usually 80 lb range and pretty
active....well, I tried, heh heh heh :D :D

aly
12-11-2001, 12:35 PM
When you get a puppy from a breeder, you don't always know what you're getting into personality-wise. If he checks the adult dogs at rescue groups or shelters, he may find just what he wants in a mixed breed. There are several pure breds that would meet his qualifications, but I feel he'd be taking a chance with a puppy because you can't always tell their temperaments when they're really young.

That's just my opinion though.

[ December 11, 2001: Message edited by: aly ]

ilovehounds
12-11-2001, 12:48 PM
A German Shorthaired Pointer :D

Dog Breed Info - German Shorthaired pointer (http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/germanshorthairedpointer.htm)

Its a little bigger then what he has asked for but, from the description this breed is a good choice.

TollSettFK
12-11-2001, 05:11 PM
Thanks!

Rottie
12-11-2001, 06:34 PM
My two suggestions would be either English Springer Spaniel or Keeshond. :)

Pam
12-11-2001, 08:27 PM
Three guesses what I'm gonna say! :D A standard poodle of course! Bella is about 35 lbs. right now, just about 20" at the shoulder, easy to train, smart, etc. Ha! Did I miss anything? :D Oh and she doesn't shed! The downside of that is all poodles must be groomed approximately every 4-6 weeks. If you don't do it yourself there will be fees for grooming to consider.

ShepherdLover
12-12-2001, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Rottie:
<STRONG>My two suggestions would be either English Springer Spaniel or Keeshond. :)</STRONG>

That's what I would suggest, too!

sammi
12-12-2001, 02:32 PM
I think the best would be a plain old lab mutt mix! Of course it won't match what he wants but then again it makes life more interesting!

jackiesdaisy1935
12-12-2001, 06:02 PM
Souraya I don't think there is any doubt in anybody's mind that I am the Schnauzer Lady. ha ha but you will be surprised to hear that in all these years we have had a Black Cocker Spaniel named Shadow, a Boxer named Duke, a Bassett Hound named Charlie, two Doxies called Hilda and Maggie, a Mini Poodle called Pierre, a Rottweiler called Kate, three Schnauzers, Kona, Miss Daisy and Perry, a hampster named Joe, a kitty called Baby, various crabs, and bugs in jars., and I spoiled them all, loved them and none of them ever considered me alpha and would'nt mind me at all, I sure hope Carrie doesn't read this. :D I'm just a pushover. The Schnauzers appeal to me because of their obstinance and independence :D :D
Jackie

yorkster
12-13-2001, 04:15 PM
I would say a Lab mix also. I have a B. Collie/Lab mix, and she is active, but not too active. She is quite mellow in the house, but really goes for it outside. I think the Lab mellows the B. Collie out a bit.
She is also VERY loyal to me- I think that is maybe the Collie in her.