PDA

View Full Version : Budgie Question

Tweety_Pie
03-27-2003, 04:50 PM
Hi. I was wondering if all female budgies lay eggs?

Porcy
03-27-2003, 07:02 PM
I had a parakeet and cocktiel who kepted on laying eggs.It seemed like every couple weeks.

Tweety_Pie
03-27-2003, 07:02 PM
Are they supposed to lay eggs?

Porcy
03-27-2003, 07:19 PM
The breeder where I got my cocktiel from said yes,that my bird would be a good breeding bird.I just wanted it for a pet. Parakeet's do lay eggs all the time.but make sure they have those calcium chew bars in the cage.I would leave eggs in there for a few days then take one out at a time.The cocktiel laid 7 eggs one time,rest of time between 3 and 5.

Tweety_Pie
03-27-2003, 07:23 PM
ok because my budgie doesn't lay eggs and she is a girl....and she has never layed eggs.. Do they all lay eggs or only some?

Porcy
03-27-2003, 07:44 PM
Is she by herself?? not all do it.I thought maybe mine was bored or something till I ask the breeder lady.lol-lol

popcornbird
03-27-2003, 09:12 PM
Only a hormonal bird will lay eggs. Most female birds do lay eggs sometime in their life, but it depends on when. My friend's tiel laid her first egg when she was 6 or 7 years old. If the bird never gets hormonal and desire kids, it may never lay eggs. My Muffin is over 3 years old and never laid an egg yet.

Tweety_Pie
03-28-2003, 07:06 AM
so they don't have to lay eggs if they don't want to?

I was worried because my aunt is a vet and she told me about a girl who came in with a budgie and the egg was stuck. so i wasn't sure.. Thank you for answering my question:D

lute
03-28-2003, 12:19 PM
my female budgie is 2 years old and has never laid an egg.

zanzanfergie
03-29-2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Tweety_Pie

I was worried because my aunt is a vet and she told me about a girl who came in with a budgie and the egg was stuck. so i wasn't sure.. Thank you for answering my question:D

yes. they can get stuck. my cockatiel died when an egg got stuck inside her. but that was her first egg, and she was two years old.

popcornbird
03-29-2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Tweety_Pie

They can get stuck if the bird is egg bound. If the bird doesn't have an egg at all, what's going to get stuck? ;) If the bird acts normal and doesn't try to sit and stuff, it should be fine and "egg-less" but if its trying to sit and push an egg out, or sitting in the corner on the cage floor not looking so good, those are signs of egg binding and need to be treated by a vet immediately. I believe your birdie doesn't have an egg for now, so don't worry. If she's acting fine and not trying to lay, she should be alright. Many birds don't lay eggs for years. Someone of the cockatiel forum I'm on has a 13 year old confirmed female bird that has never laid an egg. Some just don't lay. :) To discourage egglaying, you should allow your birds to have daylight (or light) for at least 10-12 hours a day. Darkness encourages laying, so don't let your bird try to go into dark areas, because that will make it hormonal. Don't let them go behind doors and such dark places, If your bird tries to go in a dark place, give it a toy or a treat to distract it from whatever he/she was doing and bring her to a lighted area.