PDA

View Full Version : How many languages can you speak?

primabella
03-27-2003, 03:06 PM
Just curious. I can speak English, French and some Italian, although i understand Italian much more than I can speak it. How 'bout you guys? :)

wolfsoul
03-27-2003, 03:23 PM
I can speak perfect english, lol I'm so talented :rolleyes: But considering that's the only language I was brought up with...heh heh
I can speak some french, but I suck at it lol...I dropped out of french this year so I'm sure that didn't help :p
Here's the one phrase I can remember: "voulez-vous couchez avec moi ce soir?" It doesn't help that it's from a really catchy song and that it's slightly profain :p lol jk

jenluckenbach
03-27-2003, 03:43 PM
English
and
cat
and a bit of mouse, too

The Cat Factory
03-27-2003, 05:31 PM
Just English! Oh, I can sing a song in Swedish!

marysmerrycats
03-27-2003, 05:36 PM
English

I know a few words in Italian, just 2 or 3
and about the same in Spanish

I'm getting pretty good at cat, but I'm afraid I'm a bit rusty in dog language! maybe someday I will be able to brush up on it:)

I congratulate anyone that can speak and/or write in more than one language!

anna_66
03-27-2003, 06:58 PM
English

Originally posted by marysmerrycats
I'm getting pretty good at cat, but I'm afraid I'm a bit rusty in dog language! maybe someday I will be able to brush up on it:)

Hey Mary, my 3 said they would be happy to help you "brush up on it":D
And your cats, they could teach me a thing or two, I don't know any cat language:p

micki76
03-27-2003, 07:38 PM
English, some spanish and dog. :)

tatsxxx11
03-27-2003, 07:55 PM
My parents are Swedish and Norweigan, so I grew up hearing that all the time (though they tried not to speak in front of the kids) and am fairly fluent. I took German for four years in H.S. and in college; not too bad in that, but rusty. My husband is Japanese..can understand a lot, but that's something I'd really like to study and learn. I did take a course in A.S.L as I had many deaf patients in the recovery room and knew it would be a great comfort to them after surgery, to be able to communicate easily with someone.

tatsxxx11
03-27-2003, 07:55 PM
Oooooooooooh, Ooooooooooooooh, I SPEAK DOG TOO!!:D And Cat!!:) I don't always speak "husband, though!:rolleyes:

slick
03-27-2003, 08:09 PM
English is my first language. When I was in my 20's I did speak a strange language when I was drunk at a party.....:D

Fortunately, I've grown up since then. I also speak cat and dog very well.

babolaypo65
03-27-2003, 08:22 PM
English is my native language

I am fluent in American Sign Language (a certified interpreter)

I speak Spanish well enough to survive in a spanish speaking country

and I know enough French Sign Language to survive for the most part in the deaf community in France.

and about a 50 word vocabulary in Indo-Pakistani Sign Language.

next goal is fluency in Mexican Sign Language (used only in Mexico).

kingrattus
03-27-2003, 08:27 PM
good in english & I can speak, write & understand basic french... but mostly understand, since it was my first language for my first 3 yrs until I had to switch to english ... which has screwed up both languages for me... I use to speak Oger & bee (don't ask)...

Logan
03-27-2003, 08:35 PM
I speak English, cat, dog and bird...........that's about it.. :o

wolfsoul
03-27-2003, 08:41 PM
ooh! I speak some animal languages as well! Except wolfdogs. They show no emotion and I get confused easily lol.

lovemyshiba
03-27-2003, 09:57 PM
I speak English and I took a lot of French in high school and college--I can still read it, but I would be lost if I were in a conversation with some French people.
I can speak and understand dog, but I'm still working on understanding SHIBA INU!!!!!!!!!!!

Crikit
03-27-2003, 10:56 PM
I speak, somewhat perfect english...at times I do have a slight speech impediment however, a couple of words in french...that's all I can remember from school. A few words in Japanese, but I would like to learn more of it. I know a couple of songs in latin. But other then that I can speak dog.

wolf_Q
03-27-2003, 11:28 PM
English...and Doglish, lol. I took German for 2 years in High School, but I don't remember much. My brother can speak fluent German, and sometimes I can pick up what he's saying, but that's about it.

Kater
03-28-2003, 12:44 AM
I speakka da English! :p English is my first language and I've studied Mandarin Chinese in school since the seventh grade. I took the year off though, since I didn't take the placements tests right away when I entered college. Next fall I will be in Chinese 301 though. I hope I still remember as I was (am?) nearly fluent. Eeek, now you got me worried. Wish me luck!!!!!;)

Kfamr
03-28-2003, 01:02 AM
English and I can curse you out in Spanish, that's about it. :o

Vio&Juni
03-28-2003, 06:19 AM
Romanian is my native, I can speak Russian almost as good - 99%, YOU can judge about my English - I studied it in the University - English and French Language and Literature, so I speak French too. I can understand pretty well German, too shy to speak with Germans though. I can speak Italian, not very well, but I wouldn't starve in Italy and even better - Spanish. Of course, having Ukraine so close and so many Ukrainians living here, it makes it impossible not to know anything in Ukrainian.
So, it's 8!

Dakota's Mommy
03-28-2003, 09:30 AM
Well, I'm really good at English, at least I'd like to think so. Anyways, I guess I also speak Bark or Dog or Whatever you call it. I took French in high school but I really don't remember much if any. I am hoping to learn Spanish soon though because a lot of my friends around here are Hispanic and they speak it sometimes. I'm hoping they'll teach me, I'm also thinking about taking a Spanish class to learn. It's just something I've always wanted to do since high school (what perfect timing to make that decision, when I have to pay for it) and now that I'm around friends that use the language, I'd like to learn even more so!

Randi
03-28-2003, 09:48 AM
Danish is my native language, and I speak english well enough to get by. ;) I understand swedish, norwegian and some german and spanish. I'd like to be fluent in spanish, I can read more than I can speak though.

03-28-2003, 10:00 AM
Dutch is my native language. I also speak fluently French and English. I speak German too, but NOT fluently, and my vocabulary is really "small"(but I can read, understand and write it perfectly).I learned some Spanish 18 years ago, but I forgot most of it!! Of course, I also speak 3 Dutch dialects (local Dutch) fluently: West-Flemish, Lochristi Flemish, and Antwerp Flemish.
Enough?? (wow, Viorica, you have the record here!!)

Vio&Juni
03-28-2003, 10:09 AM
Well, Lut living in Europe - a place where there are so many nations, so many cultures and so many languages - makes you learn it. But this is why Europe is GREAT, right?

03-28-2003, 10:23 AM
RIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cataholic
03-28-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by anna_66
English
And your cats, they could teach me a thing or two, I don't know any cat language:p

OH, girl, you will, you will. You have 3 hours in the car with me on Sunday. I will have you speaking cat, or getting windburn on top of my car!!!:D :D

TheAntiPam
03-28-2003, 11:35 AM
I speak English and cat, and sometimes I can speak "construction". The guys at the job sites seem to have a language all their own!

I also speak "computer geek". Scary! :eek:

iceyshiver21
03-28-2003, 01:23 PM
I can speak only one.....MINNESOTAN!! I never relized we have an accent till I watched a movie that had minnesotan people in it. I forgot what it was called.

wolflady
03-28-2003, 01:35 PM
I so much admire people who can speak multiple languages fluently. How cool is that? I wish I could!
Well, I speak English (dialect: Hoosier...I'm originally from Indiana, and my hoosier dialect slips out every now and then).
I do speak (read, write) Spanish, although I'm getting a bit rusty since I'm not keeping up with it. I really need to keep up with it or I'll forget. I translated our e-commerce application into Spanish for our spanish-speaking customers! :D

I am learning Hindi and some Telugu...but have a long way to go to even be remotely good at it! :rolleyes:

Of course I speak cattish fairly fluently:D

jenluckenbach
03-28-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
I can see that those who only speak English add the doglish/catish, etc. to add to the languages. :p:p:p LOL
very true!!! It is embarrassing knowing only English. I took French in school for 7 yerars and I could read it but I could not speak it. I am in AWE of anyone who can learn other languages fluently
And Viorica.........8!!!!!:eek: :eek: WOW !!!!

Barbara
03-28-2003, 02:42 PM
German which is my native language, French (I come from 6 miles away from France sorry for that), a little English, Italian, a little Spanish, few Japanese and Latin.

Well Lut: if you talk about Vlaams dialects: I can understand most Austrians, Bavarians and few of the German Swiss dialects:D

tatsxxx11
03-28-2003, 02:50 PM
OK, Europe, you've got it all over us! With so many nations in such close proximity, you're blessed to be exposed to so many languages!! It's very impressive to learn how many languages European's have mastered. Then again, I'm from N.Y., but speak fluent "NJ," "Massachusetts" and a little "Connecticut!":D (Working hard on "California"...now that's a foreign language!)

primabella
03-28-2003, 02:59 PM
Wow Viorica! My math teacher keeps bragging about how he knows 6 languages. Well, someone beat him :p He's also Romanian...

I also understand some Doglish but Bird language has me completly lost. Like now, they're sqwacking and sqwacking :confused: :p

Jessica12345
03-28-2003, 03:14 PM
English and just a few spanish phrases....

also dogish and birdish:p

ellensy
03-29-2003, 09:37 AM
i can speak English, Fukien, Mandarin, Tagalog (that's the native language here) though i'm not a native here ;) and oh, Doglish and soon Catlish too :p

Desert Arabian
03-29-2003, 09:44 AM
I speak English, of course, and I am taking German right now in school- I know how to speak some German.

I also speak Catlish, I meow at Dudley, and he meows back (it's funny!). From time to time, I also speak Ratten, to talk to my rats. LOL!. :p

babolaypo65
03-29-2003, 10:38 AM
Fargo??? (the one about the murder near brainard...)
I loved that movie!
My family moved up to Wisconsin and i just love the accent!

Originally posted by iceyshiver21
I can speak only one.....MINNESOTAN!! I never relized we have an accent till I watched a movie that had minnesotan people in it. I forgot what it was called.

jenluckenbach
03-29-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by ellensy
i can speak English, Fukien, Mandarin, Tagalog (that's the native language here) though i'm not a native here ;) :p
WHERE???

neko1
03-29-2003, 03:39 PM
Just English, and of course cat and some dog, and animal hospital language.:)

Cookiebaker
03-29-2003, 03:48 PM
I took 9 years of Spanish. When I was in college, I was a nanny to some children, and the youngest ONLY spoke/understood spanish. It was a great learning experience. However, I haven't practiced or thought in Spanish for almost 6 years now, and I have lost a lot of it!! :( I would love to take a couple of college courses to refresh, but I don't exactly have the time/$ for it now.

babolaypo65
03-29-2003, 03:58 PM
If its Tagalog my guess is the Phillipines....

Originally posted by jenluckenbach
WHERE???

Riku
03-29-2003, 08:52 PM
I can speak:

English
Some Spanish
Some French
Some German
Some Japanese
Draconic
Dragon

HoRsELUvR
03-29-2003, 08:56 PM
I speak:

English
Pig Latin
Ubbie Dubbie
some Spanish

Vio&Juni
03-31-2003, 02:06 AM
HOW COULD I FORGET ABOUT CAT LANGUAGE?!
We have long conversations with Juni and she seems to understand me :D

03-31-2003, 02:22 AM
OMG, how could I forget my favorite language ...!
CATTALK !!
I guess I speak this fairly well, because my cats react to my "catwords" !!! And they do NOT react when my hubby tries to, he he :p :p

Barbara
03-31-2003, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by Vio&Juni
HOW COULD I FORGET ABOUT CAT LANGUAGE?!
We have long conversations with Juni and she seems to understand me :D

This is not because your cat language is so good but because Juni is purrfect in "Human-lish":D :D :D

Vio&Juni
03-31-2003, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by Barbara
This is not because your cat language is so good but because Juni is purrfect in "Human-lish":D :D :D
Actually, Barbara, both Juni understands Humans-lish and I speak Cat Language :)
Sometimes, when I meow and mrrow and purr in Cat, I think: "God, if people could see and hear me now, what would they think?":D :D :D
At least, Juni doesn't react like I'm out of my mind :)