PDA

View Full Version : Nails Clipping

petspoil
07-31-2001, 03:56 PM
Just wonder how often do you clip your dogs nails? Do yours make a fuss over it? All of mine will struggle and wriggle, making it very difficult to cut their nails. Don't know if they act like this because they were hurt before at the groomers. :confused:

jackiesdaisy1935
07-31-2001, 05:10 PM
Petspoil, our Schnauzers are the same way, they don't like their feet touched. My husband manages to do Perrys, but we have to take Miss Daisy to the groomer because she hates to be groomed and her nails cut too.
She is pretty good with this groomer who has done her since she was a baby. I think it's a thing with Schnauzers.
We do them whenever they get groomed which is about six weeks
Jackie

Pam
07-31-2001, 05:44 PM
We have always had poodles and done all of the grooming, and nail clipping was always just part of the package. They pretty much all took it in stride. Then again after having the clipper rolling over your body, a little nail clipping is a day at the beach! :D

shais_mom
08-01-2001, 12:17 AM
I used to take Shai to a groomer who did it for 3 dollars b/c when I first got her I couldn't get her to let me do them. That must have gotten her used to it b/c now she lets me do them w/ dog trimmers. My challenge is trying to do Kylie's nails. They are getting soooo long and I can't figure out a way to "hogtie" her so she will let me do them, its just the back ones, but she fights me like a hellcat!!!!! Go figure!!!

Daisy's Mom
08-01-2001, 12:24 AM
Daisy seems to sense when I am just THINKING about getting out the nail clippers and she goes into hiding! She absolutely hates having her nails clipped. Mom has to hold her down and pet her and tell her what a good girl she is while I have to struggle to hold her kicking paws still and chop the nails! Because this is such a struggle, I only do it maybe once a month or even every other. I hate doing it because I am always afraid of cutting them too short. Some of her nails are black so I can't see the quik... it just freaks me out!

Pam
08-01-2001, 06:07 AM
Staci, I find a cat's nails are a whole different story! :D I can usually do Trevor's when he is fast asleep. By the time he gets really awake I am done. Andy is another story. Though he is smaller than Trev he is a wiry little guy and wakes up when he hears a pin drop. It takes two people to do him...one holding him and one clipping!

Snowy's Mommy
08-01-2001, 08:55 AM
I took Snowy to my vet to get his nails clipped--let me tell you-I was standing with my vet, watching and petting Snowy, when he let out a scream that I swear sounded human!! It was so frightening! Then, he was so upset that he pooped right on the floor (he was being held by a nurse by her chest while the vet clipped, I think my vet was a bit surprised at that......) Needless to say,I am not sure when he will have his next clipping.

MHMama
08-01-2001, 09:06 PM
Ricky's Vet does his nails for free anytime I think they might need them. He always says to just call them up and see how busy they are. If it is a slow day, they take him right in, clip his nails and we go on our way. Ricky isn't thrilled by it but he pretty much takes everything in stride. Especially when he knows that when we leave the Vet's office, he can go to PetSmart and ride around in the shopping cart. He loves that.
http://wsphotofews.excite.com/037/FR/LF/lA/ul75692.jpg

Tanya&Fritz
08-02-2001, 07:27 AM
I've never clipped any of my dogs nails. The groomer has always done it for us. Rocky was THE WORST! It took 3 people to hold him down :eek:

3-greys-and-a-mutt
08-02-2001, 07:36 AM
In our house, nail trimming is a two-person job. I hold the greyhounds, and Joe cuts. Buddy and Boo aren't bad with it, they just try to pull their feet away, and roll over - they'd rather have us rub their bellies than trim their nails. Paula, on the other hand, is a rather skittish dog, and we made the situation worse because one time, over a year ago, we accidently cut the quick on a nail. Not only did it hurt her, but it bled for about a half-hour (now we have a styptic pencil). To this day, if she sees the clippers, she runs to the back of a crate and makes herself as small as she can. I have to coax her out, and then hold her securely while Joe trims her nails as quick as he can. She trembles the whole time, and her nose drips like a faucet. We make sure they go outside right after the procedure, and then get a nice treat.
Pup is a little black dog with jet black nails. She is under a year-and-a-half old, and she is not out of her puppy squirmy stage. We have tried to get her nails but we don't have enough hands! (It took three people to give her a shot at the vets' recently - and she's under 20 pounds!) I pay five bucks each month and take her to SuperPetz, where they have experience with squirminess. One minute, and they're done! It's worth the five dollars for me!

aly
08-02-2001, 09:21 AM
Reece is great when I cut his nails. He's great with everything. I love my little boy so much :) I just trimmed Lolly's nails for the first time yesterday. It freaked her out bad but she did stay pretty still besides the shaking. The one thing she did was lick me behind the ear the WHOLE time. I'm serious, I was dripping! :eek: She was licking fast and furiously. I took her to the shelter the other night during Reece's obedience class. She got to sit with my friend Alyssa in her office but she yelped the whole time until I came back. I really couldn't adopt her out if I wanted to now. Don't worry, I don't want to!

ownerof3dogs
08-03-2001, 06:59 PM
I cut all three of my dogs nails. They are so good about it. They roll over on to their backs so its easier on me.
I cut their nails about once a week to once every other week.