PDA

View Full Version : **UK Men Die in Iraq**

lynnestankard
03-26-2003, 05:14 AM
British servicemen killed in action

Date Number of dead, and names if released Incident Unit
25 March Two: Corporal Stephen John Allbutt and Trooper David Jeffrey Clarke Killed by 'friendly fire' outside Basra Queen's Royal Lancers
24 March One: Lance Corporal Baz Stephen Killed in action at al-Zubayr near Basra 1st Battalion The Black Watch
24 March One:Sergeant Steven Mark Roberts Killed in action at al-Zubayr near Basra 2nd Royal Tank Regiment
23 March Two: Flight Lieutenant Kevin Barry Main, Flight Lieutenant David Rhys RAF Tornado shot down by 'friendly fire' over Kuwait 9 Squadron, RAF Marham
22 March Six: Including Lieutenant Tony King, Lieutenant Philip West, Lieutenant James Williams Two Sea King helicopters collided over the Gulf Royal Navy's 849 Squadron
21 March Eight: Including Captain Philip Guy, Lance Corporal Llewelyn Evans A CH-46 US Sea Knight helicopter crashed killing all on board 3 Commando Brigade

I wanted everyone to know the names of these men who have given their lives in this Iraq War. It's just so sad. My thoughts and prayers are with their grieving familes. I hope God will give them the strength to get through this traumatic time.

This was sourced from the BBC News Web Site.

Lynne

Randi
03-26-2003, 05:54 AM
It is so sad that all these brave men had to to die in this war. :( My thoughts are with their family and friends.

Pam
03-26-2003, 06:08 AM
Lynne thank you for posting these names. We are all praying for their families for comfort at this time. I know the US is grateful for the commitment that the UK has made to this war and feel the loss just as deeply as if they were our native sons. One can only hope that this will be over quickly and all of our brave men and women can hurry home.

jackiesdaisy1935
03-26-2003, 08:12 AM
Lynne, thank you for putting their names on, we pray for their families, we know the heartbreak the families are going through and we appreciate the sacrifice they made along with US troops to save these Iraqi people and make the world a safer place.
Jackie, Perry and Miss Daisy

RICHARD
03-26-2003, 11:17 AM
lynne,

prayers for those men, their families and your country.
thank you for standing with us.

Dakota's Mommy
03-26-2003, 11:34 AM
prayers for those men, their families and your country.
thank you for standing with us.

Yes, Thank You! You're country is great too!

ChrisH
03-26-2003, 04:59 PM
Thank you Lynne for posting the list of our British Servicemen who have lost their lives. Sending prayers for their families and friends.

Chris

KYS
03-26-2003, 05:36 PM
Every morning I e-mail my friend who lives in Staff. England.
(she is my support and helps me relieve my vented up
feelings.)
I pray daily for the brave British and American soldiers
who are risking their lives, and I pray for the families
who have lost their children.
Thank you Britain for being their.

mugsy
03-26-2003, 05:39 PM
Lynne,

Thank you for making all aware of the brave British soldiers who have given their lives in this fight to rid the world of yet another ruthless dictator. Thank you all for standing with the U.S. in this fight. My thoughts and prayers are with all the fighting men and their families as well as those who gave their lives.

carole
03-26-2003, 09:22 PM
so very sad, yes mates we are all in this together. united we stand.

RICHARD
03-27-2003, 01:43 PM
i listened to the joint news conference today by bush and
Tony Blair.

is there any way we can switch leaders every other month??

:)

carole
03-27-2003, 03:10 PM
hey mate sounds a brilliant idea lol cheers

RICHARD
03-28-2003, 09:51 AM
one of the last stories on the network news last night was
the story of a royal marine (sorry had the tv on as background, missed the guys name) who was shot four times in the head.
the picture showed him, helmet on. smiling up a storm.
seems his was in a fire fight when the bullets came his way
all struck his Kevlar helmet, saving his life.

from the BBC broadcast,

an interview with the youngest pilot in the combar arena, i think he was about 6 years from shaving....... he flies a Harrier and was involved in his first combat mission.

god bless the Harrier and Tornado pilots.

The UK (and the world) should be VERY VERY proud of the these RAF pilots...they fly the dirtiest mission profiles and pretty much get no recognition for it.

tatsxxx11
03-28-2003, 02:07 PM
Thank you Lynne for posting this; and how timely. Just this morning, when I heard that yet more Brits had been killed or held POW, my heart sank. I wanted to post here my personal thanks to you, your nation and your brave, selfless sevice men and women for their incredible support and their service. You Brits are ALWAYS there for us and I hope you know that Americans do and have always admired you for your courage, your dedciation and your unfaltering friendship. And I agree with Richard...can we borrow Tony Blair every now again??;) No matter your feeings on the war, he truly has the strength of his convicions. Thank you Britain, from the bottom of our hearts! And Australia and New Zealand!!...(Canada, we still love you:))

Soledad
03-28-2003, 02:31 PM
The New Zealand government does not support the U.S. in this. They are sending no troops, just humanitarian aid.

Australia is sending troops, though.

tatsxxx11
03-28-2003, 02:53 PM
Just meant thanks for being a good friend; not necessarily supporting the war:)

Soledad
03-28-2003, 03:29 PM
Ah, right. :)

But actually, America and NZ have had some major rifts recently. There was a bit of the cold shoulder to NZ after it wouldn't allow ships with nuclear weapons in its waters. After that, the US wouldn't talk to or deal with NZ. It's only been in the past couple of years that the two countries have been on talking terms. And the PM pretty much blasted Bush the day he declared war.

So, it's a bit of a troubled relationship.;)

mugsy
03-28-2003, 03:40 PM
Oh well, to each his own. At this point you either support the war or you don't and the countries that don't, just don't, so leave them alone...forever.

tatsxxx11
03-28-2003, 04:01 PM
Oh, I'm such a sappy optimist!:D My glass is always half full! This world is so complicated, it's amazing we all get along as well as we do! I think all natl. leaders such be forced to visit the Dog House as Pet Talk at least once daily. I'll just bet they'd iron out their differences in no time flat...just like ALL OF US!!:D

mugsy
03-28-2003, 04:19 PM
Don't be so sure, most of them aren't as bright as the members on Pet Talk! lol

ChrisH
03-28-2003, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Sandra
........And I agree with Richard...can we borrow Tony Blair every now again?? No matter your feeings on the war, he truly has the strength of his convicions.
:) :) You are so right about Tony Blair though Sandra, he really believes that what he was doing, and has done, is the right thing to do. When I saw him on a TV programme (a while before the war began) talking one on one with ordinary people, no set up stuff, explaining the whys and wherefores, not arguing, just explaining, to me his sincerity really shone though. I admire him greatly.

Originally posted by Richard
The UK (and the world) should be VERY VERY proud of the these RAF pilots...they fly the dirtiest mission profiles and pretty much get no recognition for it.
Thank you Richard.:) And we are very proud of them, as of all our servicemen and women.

And a big thanks to you all for the kind words and good thoughts about them, and of us as a nation. I for one am very proud to be called a friend of the USA and to have the USA as a friend to us!

Chris

carole
03-28-2003, 07:51 PM
that may well be true soledad, but that does not mean that many new zealanders including myself are not behind usa, we think of them daily, and we are not responsible for our governments decision on this, however soledad, dont u think enough young men are dieing needlessly why send more to their graves.

carole
03-28-2003, 07:54 PM
from a females perspective tony blair is not bad looking either, sure beats bush there, just joshing with yas, but yes he is a strong man.

carole
03-28-2003, 08:13 PM
soledad and everyone else u are aware nz has a frigate patrolling in the area right now, and nz army special forces are also unofficially there.
nz is not equipped to fight high tech war, and therefore would only result in hindering your troops and would probably result in more casualties, we are there in the capacity we can be.
as i said before why send more young men to their early graves.

Soledad
03-28-2003, 08:35 PM
Yes, Carole, but the frigate that NZ has is only under command of Operation Enduring Freedom. It is not their to assist with Iraq.

The government and people of a nation are almost always separate. And while the government has had riffs with the US, most Kiwis are very fond of the US.

NZ would not send SAS or specialty troops to Iraq because it did not believe that diplomatic means were exhausted. This is something that most Kiwis agree with.

(I work in Parliament - I hear this stuff all day!)

carole
03-29-2003, 12:50 AM
point taken, yes most kiwis are very fond of the us of a, and i believe no matter what they would assist nz if we were under attack even though we have been nuclear free for some years now.
well working in parliament u would have an insight more so than me to what really goes on, i value your opinion, just dont want my fellow friends in the us to think we are not behind them because believe me most people i know are and genuinely care about what is happening over there and to them and their families.

carole
03-29-2003, 12:59 AM
i was just thinking about the ice cream thing, and wondered if u like our chocolate, surely u must say yes, i think we have awesome chocolate here, i have tried australian and american and only hersheys come close to our chocolate i think, anyway just wondered what u think, crunchie bars are my favourite.

Soledad
03-29-2003, 05:56 AM
To be honest, I haven't noticed anything about the chocolate. When I do eat chocolate (which is somewhat rare) I usually eat Godiva or Ghiradelli, both of which are really good, top of the line chocolates.

I'm not a good chocolate expert! Sorry!! :)

kohala
03-29-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by carole
from a females perspective tony blair is not bad looking either, sure beats bush there, just joshing with yas, but yes he is a strong man.

Ahhhh - so I am not alone in noticing Tony Blair is one fine looking man!!

tatsxxx11
03-29-2003, 09:26 AM
Yes, Maam!!:D

kohala
03-29-2003, 09:35 AM
I have such mixed feelings as I read these posts and keep deleting my replies. But I want to post my observations about the British soldiers who have lost their lives, as it hit me hard when I first heard it on the (American) news. They stated that four Americans, and they ID'd them, and EIGHT brits, which they left at that. I found it insensitive of our press to so casually mention the loss of British soldiers (twice as many as we lost) in such a throw-away manner. We are trying to watch BBC but he often isn't home early enough, as we only seem to get one broadcast for half an hour in the early evening (thank you, PBS), so I will have to access it online and print out for Dadcat, the computer-phobe.
As an infantryman in VietNam, who saw a great deal of "hand-to-hand" combat, he has given me a great deal of insight into the news, these days.
My condolences and heartfelt empathy to the people of all other countries, especially the Brits, who are in this thing with our country, for better or worse.
As I stated, I have mixed feelings, but once committed to an action, I will support all troops who are being sent there. BTW, we lost our first corpsman from the Naval Hospital where I work. When you work with military medics, you get a unique perspective on the military. I am also a veteran.

gini
03-29-2003, 11:00 AM
For every Mother or Father that has lost a son or daughter in this war, I grieve with them. For every son or daughter that has lost their life in this war, I grieve because they will miss all of the things we love in this life. They will never see their children grow up - and their children are now missing a beloved parent.

Lynne, thank you for posting the names of the UK soldiers that have lost their lives. Their names and ranks should be posted in our newspapers along with our own as Kohala pointed out.

Sometimes the media makes me scream!

I have been so sad since this war started. Every day when I hear about new deaths I am saddened even more.

But we are in this war - regardless of your position - and I feel it is important that we let all of our servicemen - regardless of their nationality - know that we support them.

My neighbor and I are putting yellow ribbons out - and we hope that we can encourage our entire block to do the same.

In the meantime I can only pray for the souls of so many young men and women cut down in their prime - robbing our future of their gifts and accomplishments.

I also pray that the loss of their lives has not been in vain and that we will stick with this.......and be sure that all Iraqi's can be free and Saddam is replaced with good leadership for Iraq.

RICHARD
03-29-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by ChrisH

Thank you Richard.:) And we are very proud of them, as of all our servicemen and women.

And a big thanks to you all for the kind words and good thoughts about them, and of us as a nation. I for one am very proud to be called a friend of the USA and to have the USA as a friend to us!

Chris

I had a chance to talk to a tornado pilot (love airshows)
when he brought the plane to the west coast....
the funniest thing was when he walked away you could not
tell he had two huge brass ones :eek: he probably left them in the cockpit. :)

kohala
03-29-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
I had a chance to talk to a tornado pilot (love airshows)
when he brought the plane to the west coast....
the funniest thing was when he walked away you could not
tell he had two huge brass ones :eek: he probably left them in the cockpit. :)

:cool: :D :cool: :D ;) :D :cool: :D :cool:

RICHARD
03-31-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
one of the last stories on the network news last night was
the story of a royal marine (sorry had the tv on as background, missed the guys name) who was shot four times in the head.
the picture showed him, helmet on. smiling up a storm.
seems his was in a fire fight when the bullets came his way
all struck his Kevlar helmet, saving his life.

i saw the pic again and wanted to let everyone know this lucky
guys name!!!!

Royal Marine Eric Walderman from the British Army's 40 Commando

RICHARD
04-03-2003, 02:10 PM
just saw a great pic of a british soldier sitting on the shoulders of
a statue of saddam as it was being taken down..

thanks again England!!!!!

you guys rock!!!!!

kohala
04-03-2003, 08:02 PM
Had a great experience on the phone with a business counterpart in Canada today - after we finished our business, she added how much she personally supported our troops in what was going on. It really warmed my heart, being as I work for the Naval Hospital, which she (being as she works for a particular Canadian Hospital I was doing business with) understands very well.
Very refreshing.