PDA

View Full Version : Paw licking

slleipnir
03-25-2003, 09:47 PM
Josie's been licking her paw a lot and its looking kinda..raw? or something..Shes been holding it up a little like not walking on it..should I not let her lick it? Or does that help it heal?? If its not any better soon I'll get something to put on it. She's done this before..

aly
03-25-2003, 09:56 PM
I would try to stop her from licking.

Does she have allergies?

Kfamr
03-25-2003, 09:58 PM
Simba used to lick his paws alot, when he starts i just say "what are you doing?!?" And he stops. I'm not too sure, but i think he has allergies.... maybe Jo does too..?

kingrattus
03-25-2003, 09:58 PM
have u been walking her on salty roads or sidewalks?? the salt use to bother Max to the point he was licking his paws so much they were bleeding... now we wont let him on the sidewalks unless he was his botties on or if we wash his paws afterwards... try the booties thing... but wash his paws right now & but some medicated cream on them & tape a sock to his leg (put the tape on the sock & not his fur)

slleipnir
03-26-2003, 07:31 AM
That could be it, the salt, or maybe allergies, I don't know :confused: It seems to be a little better today

kingrattus
03-26-2003, 11:38 AM
u live in canada, the alergies don't start for awhile yet... trust me I'll know when they start up.... I know the island doesn't use salt on their roads, but they use sand, which may have a bit of salt mixed in it... but I'm sure some of ur neighbours use salt or even ur parents... don't let his paws get too bad... another thing I learned is that if u bath ur dog once a month during the winter, their paws r much nicer looking & every 3 months during the summer periods, unless ur dog goes swimming then its evey month to every week...
when Max goes out for a swim I have to bath him right after or the chances of him getting beaver fever is very high... & soooo many dogs in town die of beaver fever

primabella
03-26-2003, 02:23 PM
I saw on a show this dog who licked her paws continously. She ended up irritating the skin and it became an obsession for the dog. Try and stop Jo even though it might not be this serious.

Mickey licks his paws after he's come inside and they are a bit wet. (even though we dry them off :rolleyes: )

iwuvsmypuppy
03-26-2003, 04:02 PM
i like the booties idea i have a friend whose dogs licks her paws but it is because she has allergies> just keep Jo's paws clean and go from there

wolfsoul
03-26-2003, 08:02 PM
I read that licking the paws or legs is a sign of anal problems, so watch out! :eek: (Not sure what the paws and legs have to do with anal problems...:rolleyes: )

micki76
03-26-2003, 09:44 PM
You need to stop her from licking her paws whether it's from allergies or something else. She'll most likely end up with either a raw paw :rolleyes: or an infection. Allergies are most often triggered by food so whether or not it's allergy season probably makes no difference. Chester has bad allergies to food and some inhalents, so I know from which I speak (he went for his monthly allergy shot today :) ) . It can become an obsession and they can lick the hair off and then the skin, leaving it a raw, open breeding ground for infection.