PDA

View Full Version : Please sign this!!!!

sarahevans742
03-25-2003, 08:15 PM
Please click here... (http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?AdoptOut&12501)

Thax for signing!;) :D :cool: :rolleyes: :eek: :p :p

tikeyas_mom
03-25-2003, 08:27 PM
I didnt sign because this will not stop puppy mills, it will increase them..

sarahevans742
03-25-2003, 08:33 PM
why do you think that?

tikeyas_mom
03-25-2003, 08:44 PM
because without petstores there owuld be more puppy mills. think about it.. They would get sooo much more buisness.

I also know lotsa resptual pet stores that sell good puppies around here and kittens. I also know ppl who have bought these animals and they turned out great. I dont think it is any use or have a positive ending if petstores are bannded from selling puppies & kittens.

sarahevans742
03-25-2003, 08:46 PM
I guess your right. :):rolleyes:

tikeyas_mom
03-25-2003, 08:51 PM
thanks I think I am 2.. But I am just waiting for someone to come along and debate.. ;)

sarahevans742
03-25-2003, 08:53 PM
by the way, you have a cute doggie. What a cutie!

tikeyas_mom
03-25-2003, 08:59 PM
thank you soo much, she is my angel gurl, micky blue eyes. lol.. I have a shih tzu to he is a cuty there is a pic of him in dog general underneth topic: sits [**pics**] go see. :)

you should make a signature.

sarahevans742
03-25-2003, 09:02 PM
I wouldn't know what to write on it. I have to go. Reply and I will read it tomorrow... buh-bye... If I have time I might be able to go on in about an hour... bye...

tikeyas_mom
03-25-2003, 09:07 PM
write your pets names, maybe some pics or links,, anything :)

Karen
03-25-2003, 09:08 PM
I disagree, Tikeya's mom. People do NOT buy dogs directly from "puppy mills," they are only suplliers for pet stores and chain stores. You can just drive up to a puppy mill and say "I'd like a German Shepherd, please." Puppy mills are disgusting, awful places, and the public ois not allowed near them. How would you think banning pet stores from selling puppy- and kitten-mills products would mean more business for the puppy mills?

tikeyas_mom
03-25-2003, 09:19 PM
Hi karen good point, the pet stores here do not take puppie or kittens from mills, they take them from breeders. Puppy mills are againts the law here, so we dont have to worri about it. good breeders supply our petstores, I didnt know pet stores where you live get there pets from mills. they must not be very good stores, eh?

Karen
03-25-2003, 09:26 PM
Puppy mill owners would not call themselves that, they would call themselves breeders. How do you know where your pet stores get their pups? Would they give you the breeder's contact information if you asked? Are the breeders local or are the pups shipped to them? Do they visit the breeder's homes to make sure conditions are healthy?

I do not visit many pet stores that sell dogs and cats. There is a small pet store, not a chain store, that does near me, but I have not asked where they get their pups. They have a policy that no pup is ever "too big," and they ask a lot of questions of potential owners, that I do know, and the pups in the stores seem healthy and are not in cages, they are in play areas with wodden, not wire floors, lots of soft bedding, and there are often a few puppies out running around the store. So they at least treat the pups humanely, though, as I said, I have not asked where they get them from.

tikeyas_mom
03-25-2003, 09:29 PM
they get them from local ppl, I asked. When the breeders have the pups born they are sold to the petstore ONLY if they are not solf right away in the papers. They are all regested upto date with shots and have tattoos. There is also pet store that sells pets from the shelter, It is kinda a deal thing they have goin on, it is kinda cool. :)

Kfamr
03-25-2003, 09:35 PM
And.... You know they weren't lying, how?

tikeyas_mom
03-25-2003, 09:37 PM
what? :confused:

tikeyas_mom
03-25-2003, 09:38 PM
well when you can see the tattoos .. What do you think??

Kfamr
03-25-2003, 09:39 PM
I didn't think tattoos meant anything really, Simba has one, he's not a pure bred.

tikeyas_mom
03-25-2003, 09:41 PM
I dint say they were pure bred did I?? They are still the cutest dogs and puppies EVER!!

iwuvsmypuppy
03-25-2003, 09:43 PM
i am not on either side because if you take them away you are sayin" go and get a dog from the Humane Sociaty" or "go and get an AKC dog" and for people who dont have the money for an AKC dog or who cant find a dog with some training that they need for it to have at the HS if you keep them you are saying " we let people come and bond with a dog before they buy it, and so you dont have to risk getting a diseased one somewhere else"

Kfamr
03-25-2003, 09:43 PM
Um, ok.

wolf_Q
03-25-2003, 09:46 PM
What do you think puppy mills are? They BREED, animals, therefore, they ARE BREEDERS. I'm sorry, but no responsible breeder would *ever* sell a puppy to a pet store.

Stopping the sale of puppies in pet stores would DEFINITELY help, it would not help puppy mills. People do not buy directly from puppy mills, like Karen said...the dogs are in awful conditions, the public is not allowed in there.

If they stopped selling puppies in pet stores, puppy mills would no longer have anywhere to supply puppies too. Pet stores could have pets from shelters instead.

I've asked our local pet stores where they get puppies from too. There is no way to find out if they are lying or not, unless you get the actual address information about the breeder, and visit them for yourself.

And I don't know where in the world you are going with the tattoo thing.....what does that matter? Even if they are AKC purebred that doesn't mean they came from a good breeder.

Aspen and Misty
03-25-2003, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by iwuvsmypuppy
have at the HS if you keep them you are saying " we let people come and bond with a dog before they buy it, and so you dont have to risk getting a diseased one somewhere else"

Are you saying the dogs the the HS are diseased? Cause that is such a lie.

wolf_Q
03-25-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by iwuvsmypuppy
i am not on either side because if you take them away you are sayin" go and get a dog from the Humane Sociaty" or "go and get an AKC dog" and for people who dont have the money for an AKC dog or who cant find a dog with some training that they need for it to have at the HS if you keep them you are saying " we let people come and bond with a dog before they buy it, and so you dont have to risk getting a diseased one somewhere else"

What the? :confused: I'm sorry, but that makes absolutely no sense. "Getting a diseased one somewhere else".....the place you are MOST LIKELY to get a sick dog, in my opinion, is from a pet store.

And why shouldn't we encourage people to get dogs from the Humane Society or responsible AKC breeders? Can't afford an AKC dog? Wow, your pet stores must be really cheap then, as all the pet stores here sell any dog, and breed, for AT LEAST $400...if not more.

Kfamr
03-25-2003, 09:53 PM
Dogs from the humane society come in diseased sometimes but they DO NOT adopt them out diseased. they keep them seperated from other dogs or animals until they are fully recovered from whatever they have. Like Nala, she was treated for kennel cough and she had just been treated for it and when she was all better they put her and her littermates out for adoption NOT when they were diseased.

Kfamr
03-25-2003, 09:56 PM
The puppy store that they CLOSED DOWN near here charged $400-$500 just for a little maltese pup, in which they had crust eyes, somewhat matted hair and dry noses 24/7.

tikeyas_mom
03-25-2003, 09:59 PM
well then I guess I bought Tikeya from a backyard breeder. or PUPPYMILL. :rolleyes:..

Where did you get Nebo Wolf_Q??

The spca here sells their pups for 131.00 both female anf male.

Oscar was also from a breeder. a shih tzu breeder, tikeya was from a lady whohad three siberians one male and two females. One female was fixed the other was the mom.

tikeyas_mom
03-25-2003, 10:00 PM
The prices of the puppies at the pet stores here are rediculas. They sell a cross pup for 500.00$ depending on how small it is. :rolleyes: soo dum

Kfamr
03-25-2003, 10:06 PM
I never knew the SPCA sold dogs.

tikeyas_mom
03-25-2003, 10:07 PM
they do here..

Kfamr
03-25-2003, 10:11 PM
MMk.

wolf_Q
03-25-2003, 10:13 PM
A normal breeder is *not* the same thing as a puppy mill, I didn't say that. What I meant by that, is that a pet store can say they got the dog from a "breeder" and it could be a puppy mill. A person who breeds dogs is a breeder. It's a term that can be used loosely. A person who breeds dogs responsibly is also a breeder.

A puppy mill has mass quanity of dogs kept in bad conditions. The dogs are bred every heat, no matter if they are healthy or not.

Yes, I got my dog from a breeder. I know it was not the best choice, but it's what I did. But, it was *not* in any way a puppy mill. I met his parents, and the owners of the dogs. She just had 2 dogs, while it was not wise for her to breed them, she did obviously loved very much and took good care of them. She did ask me questions about what I would do with the puppy...and she has checked up, I've emailed her a few times with pictures of the Nebo boy. Still, I'm aware that it was not the best choice to buy a puppy from her.

Banning the sale of puppies in pet stores will most likely increase backyard breeders, but I think that is at least better then puppy mills, in my opinion.

tikeyas_mom
03-25-2003, 10:14 PM
Wanna see??

tikeyas_mom
03-25-2003, 10:16 PM
that is what I ment. you were seeming like you thought ALL breeders were backyard wolf_Q ...

wolfsoul
03-25-2003, 10:19 PM
Hmmm...

I don't believe in making pet stores stop selling puppies and kittens, but I do believe that mills should be stopped. That's why I believe that a responsible pet store manager should know the people who supply puppies. Who's to say they aren't just backyard breeders? No, that's not so good either, but it's better than a mill. If I owned a petshop, I would visit every breeder and inspect their animals and living quarters...if I did not like what I saw, then I would not get my animals from there and I would spread the word to all other places.

Unfortunatly, most petshops are blinded by consumer consumption and couldn't care less :(

But I just don't understand why the puppies and kittens shouldn't be there, and yet other animals can...there are sooo many mills for rats and gerbils and mice, and they don't seem to be mentioned. :(

They do sell dogs at our spca, but the petshops here take waaay better care then their dogs then they do...the SPCA here is terrible :(

wolfsoul
03-25-2003, 10:23 PM
I got Timber from the petshop
Samuri from a backyard breeder
And Leather's breeders had a wierd situation lol...Her father's owner was a proffessional breeder and owned a kennel because Leather's father was a champion conformation showdog...But her mother was a german shepher who was owned by a backyard breeder lol...It was an accidental pregnancy, but I'm not sure if the dogs were intentionally put together or what :confused:

wolf_Q
03-25-2003, 10:24 PM
No, that's not what I meant or said. I don't think all breeders are bad. And not all breeders are puppy mills. There's a big difference.

tikeyas_mom
03-25-2003, 10:25 PM
yes the pet shops here where me and wolf_soul live is wayyyy better to their animals then the spca. they are groose and stinky and dirty, eww ... -sick- The dogs are all cages up. you arnt allowed to go behind the fences even oif they are for adoption. grrrr.... I still do lol...

kingrattus
03-25-2003, 10:25 PM
I've seen too many crapy petstores & prices that went through the roof!!... the pet store I got Max from 9 yrs ago (closed down after the hubby died) only sold puppies that were given to them free & would sell the pups from 10-25 dollars canadian. The puppies were clean & healthy... they were displayed off & on throughout the day.. they had a nice pen they stayed in & when not displayed or at night they were put in the back room to run free (which was large enough to allow 20 large dogs play with ease).. but now the new pet store r horrible!! they r locked up in tiny boxes, most of the time with no friends, even thought there were other pups in diff boxes.. & they sell these mutts for 400.00 bucks!! or they were lying to the customers.. buy this pup, its a pure black lab, yet it has a huge & I mean a huge white star on its chest & white paws & white on the tip of its tail... there is no way that puppy is pure!! I know some labs have a small white star, but nothing should be on their paws or tail!!

If u want a dog, go to the shelter, there r many dogs looking for a good home & many come house trained

tikeyas_mom
03-25-2003, 10:27 PM
good point king rattus, but I have to disagree somewhere along the lines of shelter dogsd need homes. So do pet store dogs! hat makes them any less of a pet?

KYS
03-25-2003, 10:28 PM
wolf_Q , that's cheap compared
to the puppy's being sold in the Pet shop in
the Mall where I live.
Try $950.00 and up. :(
You can get a good Pet quality puppy from
a reputable breeder for less. :)
MOST Petshops buy their pups from puppy mills
in the "U.S." Their has been a movement to
educate people against buying pups from Pet shops,
and to try to pass laws to close down or at the
very least regulate with strict provisions commercial selling of animals. (which is hard to enforce)

Their are fewer and fewer Pet shops in my area selling
dogs, than there were 15 years ago, because
of educating the public.

I saw a special on puppy mills where a reporter and a vet
took a undercover video camera and possed as buyers.
It was disgusting to see how these dogs were kept.

wolf_Q
03-25-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
good point king rattus, but I have to disagree somewhere along the lines of shelter dogsd need homes. So do pet store dogs! hat makes them any less of a pet?

No, that does not make them any less of a pet. Many wonderful, well-loved dogs are bought from pet stores. And I do not think anyone who buys a dog from a pet store is a bad person or anything like that. I'd probably be tempted to get a pet store puppy if I found a husky.....that's the exact reason I refused to visit any pet stores when I was looking for a pup, lol.

BUT, buying a dog from a pet store supports those who breed them in puppy mills. You may be saving one pup, but just making room for another one to take it's place. The whole point is, if nobody bought dogs from pet stores, the puppy mills would not be breeding any more dogs to sell to pet stores. Adopting a dog from a shelter saves it from being put to sleep, and makes room for another dog who needs a home.

And KYS, I've seen pups for $950 and up also...really, $400 is pretty cheap for a pet store pup.

wolfsoul
03-25-2003, 10:43 PM
At Total pet, the puppies are sold anywhere from 40-500 dollars. The small dogs are always the most...Timber was only 100 dollars :) But it was kinda sad, cuz she was the first picked from the litter, and nobody bought the other puppies for a reeeeally long time, and soon the price was lowered to $40...

Petcetera only takes puppies from the shelter, which is good I guess, but it would be better if they took adults....puppies are easy to sell at shelters, but older dogs aren't always. :(

tikeyas_mom
03-25-2003, 10:45 PM
with the small little kenel they have in pet cetera, ha like hell thed be able to fit a adult dog in it..

Kfamr
03-25-2003, 10:48 PM
Canadian and America SPCA's must be way different then. It's like the two are complete opposites[sp?] Pet stores here are like hell, and SPCA's and Humane Society's are like heaven.

tikeyas_mom
03-25-2003, 10:51 PM
humm...??

Kfamr
03-25-2003, 10:54 PM
"Hummm?" what?

wolfsoul
03-25-2003, 11:03 PM
Here the petshops smell normal, and are really clean. Although they do use pine shavings which bothers me...

At the SPCA, it smells terrible!!! You don't even have to be in the doors before you smell the stench of stinky animals and god knows what...:eek:
They only bathe the dogs, and only pay attention to the dogs and the rabbits. But it's still not enough.

One time I was in the stall with a large german shepherd with hip dysplasia, and you could tell he was in alot of pain, and it was really sad. An employee came in and proceded to try to put drops in his ears. The dog pulled away and was awfully resistant and reluctant...so the employee just gave up and left :mad:

I can't wait until I can volunteer there...The small animals are in such horrible shape...The rats are very dirty...you can see the dirt in their fur! It's discusting..they house them alone, and when you put your hands in the cage they bite you...:(

We don't have a humane society here, and I don't really know what it is...It's just a shelter, like the SPCA? :confused:

tikeyas_mom
03-25-2003, 11:07 PM
the shelter here does spay you animals and neuter them befor you buy them but you still have to pay for that. You also had to fill out an application to adopt a dog or anypet, And you would only get a what if? I say humm.. because I wonder why the countrys are so different..

wolfsoul
03-25-2003, 11:10 PM
They don't spay or neuter the rats though :( Maybe they do if you ask though, i'm not sure :confused:

wolf_Q
03-25-2003, 11:15 PM
the shelter here does spay you animals and neuter them befor you buy them but you still have to pay for that. You also had to fill out an application to adopt a dog or anypet, And you would only get a what if? I say humm.. because I wonder why the countrys are so different..

And you should have to pay for the spay/neuter. I may be wrong, but I think you may be confused between "buying" and an "adoption fee." Most shelters have adoption fees, which goes to spay/neuter the dog, as well to help the other dogs in the shelter.

I think it's good to fill out an application for any pet. That means they are trying to adopt the pets out to responsible people, not just anybody that walks in the place with money...like a pet store would do.

wolfsoul
03-25-2003, 11:19 PM
The S.P.C.A. here gives you a cheaper price if the animal is already fixed. I think it ends up somewhere in the $60 dollar range...I'll look it up right now...
They actually just recently started the filling out of applications...they never did before...:(

tikeyas_mom
03-25-2003, 11:21 PM
I think the application thing is good to . but I think it is unessary fo them to come to your house and inspect, they used to do that along with the application filled out. :rolleyes: .. they dont do it any more though. I think that it is good they make you pay for the fixing as well I mean geeze it is your dog. lol ..

wolfsoul
03-25-2003, 11:35 PM
I went onto the site and it says that the dogs that are already spayed or neutered are $40 plus a $8 lisence fee.

tikeyas_mom
03-25-2003, 11:37 PM
makes sence

Brie
03-26-2003, 12:20 AM
they get them from local ppl, I asked. When the breeders have the pups born they are sold to the petstore ONLY

Just because their local people doesn't mean they have good breeding practices.

sarahevans742
03-26-2003, 10:12 AM
I think that stopping puppy mills reduces the amount of dogs and cats being killed because they have no home. If you are a responsible breeder, and you have homes for all of the puppies, then that should be ok. But puppy mills, for one, treat their puppies like dirt, and they don't care at all for them. If more people in the world would just spay or neuter their dogs, and puppy mills are stopped, then I think that reduces the amount of dogs being killed, and more dogs are happily owned.

:)

CamCamPup33
03-26-2003, 11:22 AM
well then I guess I bought Tikeya from a backyard breeder. or PUPPYMILL. ..

Me too.. I bought cami from petland.. and we got all of the papers on where to contact the breeder and the names and everything.. I dont think they should stop pet storez from selling the pups.. this is a really good debate! tikeyas_mom you made really good points in here too. i agree totally with tikeyas_mom

ramanth
03-26-2003, 11:49 AM
At a mall in Canada, a pet store was selling MIXES for $800.

Why on earth would a "responsible breeder" breed mixes.

Perhaps the puppies at the store near you come from reputable breeders, but sadly that is not always the case.

I got Kia from the local Humane Society. It is indeed Heaven compared to local pet shops.

aly
03-26-2003, 04:23 PM
I signed. I completely think that pet stores have no business "selling" puppies and kitties. Handing them money and them handing you a dog or cat, no questions asked, is SCARY. Why can't they do what Petco and Petsmart do - have adoption days with local rescues and shelters. An application process is CRUCIAL and very necessary. I don't care if its a breeder or a shelter, you better know where that animal is going.

I am taking high offense to the things said about shelters. There are good shelters and there are bad shelters. Please don't make blanket statements about all shelters. The shelter I work at takes better care of our animals than most people take care of their own pets.

CamCamPup33
03-26-2003, 04:42 PM
thats true but it depends... because you can't say that all of the pet stores are bad because some do supply you with the exact name of the breeder.. The phone num and so on.. So i understand that you can't be too sure on getting your puppy at a pet store because of puppy mills but ask questions to the people who work there. I feel horrible because i didnt help a pet in need at the animal shelter but yet i dont because i helped a pet in need at the pet store.. So im not against it at all because either way your helping a pet have a loving family..

Jessica12345
03-26-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
The puppy store that they CLOSED DOWN near here charged $400-$500 just for a little maltese pup, in which they had crust eyes, somewhat matted hair and dry noses 24/7.

poor little maltese! glad it shut down.:(

anna_66
03-26-2003, 05:25 PM
Yes, I did get Roxey from a pet store(at a mere $600:rolleyes: ), and that was before I knew anything about puppy mills. Now I would never get one from there. Sure, they give you papers with the breeders name on it and the registration #'s of your puppy & the parents, but what does that tell you? Nothing! How would you even go about finding these breeders? Plus, most pet store chains have a 1 yr guarantee-so what, the pup get sick after a few months & you take it back:confused: I can't even imagine, I get attached after only a day or two! They never know what type of home these dogs are going to. We stopped in a pet store in Ky at the mall & was looking at a mastiff puppy-they wanted $1200 and that was on sale:eek: We said no, we were just wasting some time, but she really tried to pressure us into getting this female mastiff. She even went as far as to tell us that we could breed her and get our money back on the sale of the first pup:mad:
Anyway, I just wanted to have my say.

Oh & btw...I signed

tikeyas_mom
03-26-2003, 10:17 PM
posted by anna_66:
Yes, I did get Roxey from a pet store(at a mere $600 ),

WOW :eek: $600.00 thats alot, I got Tikeya * my pure bred siberian husky, in pic below* for a mere $250.00...

You payed alot.. Petstores over charge I think as well.

wolfsoul
03-26-2003, 11:19 PM
Leather was free :D and she's purebred and has a champion father :D Lucky..

tikeyas_mom
03-26-2003, 11:29 PM
Wolfsoul I wanna see pics of your other dogs, Leather ect..

wolfsoul
03-26-2003, 11:39 PM
I know lol...I need my recharger first though :( My mother still won't lend me some money! :mad: I'm paying 15 dollars, my stepmom is too, and then my mom needs to pay 20 or so...I told her I would do anything to get it but noooo...I did the dishes and vacuumed today for nothing! :(

CamCamPup33
03-27-2003, 10:43 AM
LOL!!! aww.. its okay.... :( :)

tikeyas_mom
03-27-2003, 10:49 AM
omg, your moms is a bum.. Kick her for me

Logan
03-27-2003, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by aly
I signed. I completely think that pet stores have no business "selling" puppies and kitties. Handing them money and them handing you a dog or cat, no questions asked, is SCARY. Why can't they do what Petco and Petsmart do - have adoption days with local rescues and shelters. An application process is CRUCIAL and very necessary. I don't care if its a breeder or a shelter, you better know where that animal is going.

I am taking high offense to the things said about shelters. There are good shelters and there are bad shelters. Please don't make blanket statements about all shelters. The shelter I work at takes better care of our animals than most people take care of their own pets.

I totally agree with Aly!!!

sammi
03-27-2003, 11:59 AM
I also agree with Aly.

tikeyas_mom, Whats with the tatoo? LOL I can't tell if its on your back or your butt - what is it of? I don't mind a tatoo, so not slamming you.

CamCamPup33
03-27-2003, 12:16 PM
tikeyas_mom, Whats with the tatoo? LOL I can't tell if its on your back or your butt - what is it of? I don't mind a tatoo, so not slamming you.

LMAO :D i thought it was her back....??? Well thats funny.. i lyk it it's nice tikeyas_mom!! what is it a dragon? :confused:

wolfsoul
03-27-2003, 02:23 PM
Yes, it's on her back. I like it! It's very cool..I wish I had one, but they cost so much money and I'm afraid of needles lol

tikeyas_mom
03-27-2003, 02:30 PM
I m terrified of needles .. :eek: I wouldent even let the doctors put in a IV in my hand lol. Getting a tatto isnothing like getting a needle. ... . it isnt on my but.. it is on my back. it is a dragon.

anna_66
03-27-2003, 02:34 PM

You payed alot...
Yes, we did, waaaay too much. When I said "mere $600" I was being sarcastic. I would never get a pet store pup again.

wolfsoul
03-27-2003, 02:42 PM
Well, atleast you got Roxy, and all is well, right? ;) She's a beautiful dog, and I'm sure she has a great personality! :D