PDA

View Full Version : Question...

Aspen and Misty
03-23-2003, 04:54 PM
One of our dogs was recently shaved and the spot has been iratating her. She will scratch at it and has just broken the skin and it bled, not alot, but it bled a little. I wiped it off with a paper towl and some water. Is there anything I can do to make it less itchy?? Or even to make her more comfortble?

Ash

oodlesofpoodles
03-23-2003, 05:03 PM
It more than likely Razor Burn, You can try some neosporin or Hydrcortizone. Keep it Clean. even though it may not look bad the pooper could get a secondary staph infection. When using peroxide just remember it not kills the bad bateria but also kills the good bateria. Good luck.

Aspen and Misty
03-23-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by oodlesofpoodles
It more than likely Razor Burn, You can try some neosporin or Hydrcortizone. Keep it Clean. even though it may not look bad the pooper could get a secondary staph infection. When using peroxide just remember it not kills the bad bateria but also kills the good bateria. Good luck.

Thanz, I put some neosporin on it. I rubed some lotion made for babies on teh spot on saturday it helped for about 10 or 15 mins but then she went back to scratching it?

Ash

oodlesofpoodles
03-23-2003, 05:32 PM
Try the hydracortizone then. It has a steriod to stop the itching in the cream. Or if you have any dermalone or animax or vetalog cream.

Aspen and Misty
03-23-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by oodlesofpoodles
Try the hydracortizone then. It has a steriod to stop the itching in the cream. Or if you have any dermalone or animax or vetalog cream.

Can you get them at the grocery store or like kmart or something? I don't think anything else is open today and I hate to see her to have to deal with it another night.

Ash

iwuvsmypuppy
03-24-2003, 03:05 PM
all i know is too use some neosporin or something of the type i dont really know what else to do

kingrattus
03-24-2003, 11:07 PM
put a t-shirt on her & socks on her back paws... it'll help keep the sore from getting dirty & also help it from being scratched with her nails... when Max gets bitten by black flies, he wants to chew & scratch himself... I put jean shorts on him & it heals real quick & of course I put medication on it as well... but try the clothing... & its also super cute to see ur dog in clothing & even cuter when its dino boxers... hehe

Dixieland Dancer
03-25-2003, 06:41 AM
The itching should only last a few days until some of the hair grows back in. However, during those few days, the itching is rather intense and very bothersome for the pup. You can do the cortizone cream (if the dog is not licking the spot too) as mentioned above. Any over the counter kind is sufficient but make sure the dog does not digest it by licking it off.

I prefer to just use a regular household item such as petrolum jelly (vaseline) to moistureize the spot until the itching subsides. If they do lick you can try to put a piece of clothing on to act as a barrier or you can use a elizabethian collar for a few days. They are wonderful for keeping dogs from chewing but don't do much for itching.

Aspen and Misty
03-25-2003, 02:42 PM
Thanx she seems to not be itchign to much any more. Her nails are real long though so I think that might of been thr porblem. She won't let me near them so I can't clip um but she's going in this friday to have them clipped. Till then I will watch her and might have to use the clothin sugestion. O I put some on that nightand it worked great!

Thank you so much every one!
Ash

tikeyas_mom
03-25-2003, 03:35 PM
yes put some anti itch cream non toxic on her spot, then put a cone on her head so she wont lick it :) it should heal up better that way :)

CamCamPup33
03-25-2003, 04:21 PM
the same thing happened to my sisters dog.. he wouldnt stop like going and biting at the place it was irratated.. so she put some neosporin and some benedrill on it and it went away?? i dont know how but i know it probably made him feel better...