PDA

View Full Version : Question for Rottie or anyone who might know...

AdoreMyDogs
07-30-2001, 10:12 PM
I would like to get both the Therapy Dog title and the CGC titles for Graham but I am not finding any information that obvious mixed breeds could get the CGC title. Does anyone know if a dog has to be a purebred? I did a search for Canine Good Citizen and found a few hits, one being an AKC site but I found it to be confusing. As I read over the requirements for the test, it stated that the dog has to be a purebred, but yet, later on it stated that anyone could qualify, mixed breeds or purebreed. I have not found any other sites on CGC titiling, or any more info that helped me.

Please fill me in if anyone has info. I would appreciate it. I will continue to search the web more tomorrow from a different browser so maybe I will get some better hits.

Thanks.

ShepherdLover
07-31-2001, 07:45 AM
You can have a mix get a CGC for sure! It's not an offical AKC title, like the CD is. That's why mixes can get the title.

Good luck on getting it! But I'm sure Graham is a Canine Good Citizen.

Rottie
07-31-2001, 03:56 PM
Yes, mixes can earn a CGC. Good luck with Graham if you do go for it. Graham is such a good boy! :)

AdoreMyDogs
08-01-2001, 08:16 AM
Thanks I appreciate the help. I now am on the search for a group who provides the test.

tatsxxx11
08-01-2001, 05:17 PM
Leslie, check the topic I just posted on "Canine Candy Stripers" on "general." I think you'll find it right up your alley! Two organizations listed can help give you info. on the therapy aspect of your question. As for the CGC and other titles, I've been hunting around as you have! Very confusing!! Good luck with Graham. I know he would be absolutely wonderful in either program. (Animal assisted activity or animal assisted therapy!) Hugs to the "star!" What a sweetheart he is!

ownerof3dogs
08-03-2001, 07:13 PM
I was wondering if there were any other titles a mix breed can get?

Rottie
08-04-2001, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by ownerof3dogs:
<STRONG>I was wondering if there were any other titles a mix breed can get?</STRONG>

Mix breeds can NOT earn any titles (besides CGC) in AKC events (which I personally think is a stupid rule).

There is a registry called the United Kennel Club (UKC) which allows mixed breed dogs to compete and earn titles in all of their events except conformation (the beauty contests). http://www.ukcdogs.com There are also several other ones like the Mixed Breed Association of America (or something like that, can't remember the exact name). :)

ownerof3dogs
08-04-2001, 10:43 PM
Thanks Rottie. I think it is stupid too that they can't titles. I would love to earn them. I guess I'll just have to wait till I get a Doberman(My dream dog)

Rottie
08-06-2001, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by ownerof3dogs:
<STRONG>Thanks Rottie. I think it is stupid too that they can't titles. I would love to earn them. I guess I'll just have to wait till I get a Doberman(My dream dog)</STRONG>

You can still get titles in UKC. Check out their web site. http://www.ukcdogs.com/

Go to http://www.ukcdogs.com/forms.html to download the form for a Limited Privelege where you can register any dog (including mixed breeds) so that you can compete and earn titles. You can also find the rules for obedience from the home page.

Everybody starts in Novice which is some pretty basic stuff, heel on leash, a figure 8 around 2 posts, stand for a quick examination, recall over a jump (the jump is the height of the dog at the withers or shoulder blades), heel off leash, sit stay for 1 minute, and a down stay while the next dog is doing their heeling.