PDA

View Full Version : *Stand Up For America Rally*

lynnestankard
03-21-2003, 10:09 AM
I have just received this by email from my daughter Diane in Chicago. Her friend at work showed it to her and she thought I'd love to see it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Last week, the Shelby County Alabama Legislative Delegation hosted a "Stand Up for America Rally." More than 1,200 people attended including featured speakers Chief Justice Roy Moore, Adjutant General Mark Bowen and Alabama State Auditor Beth Chapman.
This is a copy of Mrs. Chapman's speech, which resulted in five standing ovations, tremendous applause and an encore. It's a short read and well worth it. I hope you enjoy it as we continue to "Stand up for America!"
> >
> > Stand Up for America Rally Speech By: Beth Chapman

I'm here tonight because men and women of the United States military have given their lives for my freedom. I am not here tonight because Sheryl Crowe, Rosie O'Donnell, Martin Sheen, George Clooney, Jane Fonda, Janine Garafolo, or Phil Donahue, sacrificed their lives for me.
If my memory serves me correctly, it was not movie stars or musicians but the United States Military who fought on the shores of Iwo Jima, the jungles of Vietnam, and the beaches of Normandy.

Tonight, I say we should support the President of the United States and the U.S. Military and tell the liberal, tree-hugging,
Birkenstock-wearing, hippy, tie-dyed liberals to go make their movies and music and whine somewhere else. After all, if they lived in Iraq, they wouldn't be allowed the freedom of speech they're being given here today. Ironically, they would be put to death at the hands of Sadam Husssein or Osama Bin Laden.

I want to know how the very people who are against war because of the loss of life, can possibly be the same people who are for abortion?
They are the same people who are for animal rights but against the rights of the unborn.
The movie stars say they want to go to Iraq and serve as "human shields" for the Iraqis. I say let them buy a one-way ticket andgo.

No one likes war. I hate war! But the one thing I hate more is the fact that this country has been forced into war-innocent people have lost their lives - - and there but for the grace of God, it could have been my brother, my husband, or even worse my own son.

On December 7, 1941, there are no records of movie stars treading the blazing waters of Pearl Harbor.

On September 11, 2001; there are no photos of movie stars standing as "human shields" against the debris and falling bodies ascending from the World Trade Center. There were only policemen and firemen - -underpaid civil servants who gave their all with nothing expected in return.

When the USS Cole was bombed, there were no movie stars guarding the ship - where were the human shields then?

If America's movie stars want to be human shields, let them shield the gang-ridden streets of Los Angeles, or New York City, let them shield the lives of the children of North Birmingham whose mothers lay them down to sleep on the floor each night to shelter them from stray bullets. If they want to be human shields, I say let them shield the men and women of honesty and integrity that epitomizes courage and embody the spirit of
freedom by wearing the proud uniforms of the United States Military.

Those are the people who have earned and deserve shielding!

hroughout the course of history, this country has remained free, not because of movie stars and liberal activists, but because of brave men and women who hated war too. However, they lay down their lives so that we all may live in freedom. After all -"What greater love hath no man, that he lay down his life for his friend," or in this case a country.
We should give our military honor and acknowledgement and not let their lives be in vain.
If you want to see true human shields, walk through Arlington Cemetery. There lie human shields, heroes, and the BRAVE Americans who didn't get on television and talk about being a human shield - they were human shields.

I thank God tonight for freedom - - those who bought and paid for it with their lives in the past - - those who will protect it in the present and defend it in the future. America has remained silent too long!

God-fearing people have remained silent too long! We must lift our voices united in a humble prayer to God for guidance and the strength and courage to sustain us throughout whatever the future may hold.

After the tragic events of Sept. 11th, my then eleven -year-old son said terrorism is a war against them and us and if you're not one of us, then you're one of them.

So in closing tonight, let us be of one accord, let us stand proud, and let us be the human shields of prayer, encouragement and support for the President, our troops and their families and our country. May God bless America, the land of the free, the home of the brave and the greatest country on the face of this earth!

IN GOD WE TRUST

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I hope this doesn't cause another row - it's not meant to do that - but hopefully give a little peace to the familys of the military men and women. IN both USA and UK.

Lynne

gini
03-21-2003, 10:34 AM
Lynne, thank you for sharing this with us.

As you know there are protests all across the globe against America's actions in Iraq. Some of the countries protesting are ones that we have given millions upon millions of dollars in aid.

Those dollars represent my own, most Pet Talker's and the nation's hard earned tax dollars.

I can only pray that this war will result in much greater understanding between nations and ultimately peace for that entire region.

That is a pretty big prayer isn't it?
But anything is possible with God!

lynnestankard
03-21-2003, 11:41 AM
Amen Gini.

I'm anti-war but now their in there these people must be supported.

Lynne

lovemyshiba
03-21-2003, 11:47 AM
That's a great speech. I always found it ironic how all of these famous people are all for speaking about how awful it is, but I don't see any of them suiting up and heading over there. Another thing, is that they have way more money that all of us combined, shouldn't they be offering some sort of financial aide for these people--after all, they can afford to.
Thanks for sharing it, I too, am against war, but now that our troops are over there, I am behind them 100 percent.

Chinadoll
03-21-2003, 12:00 PM
Thank you!
I just printed that out to send to Joey. He thinks it'll be any day now that he leaves the base in CA and goes overseas. Whatever anyone's thoughts are of the war, our troops need support.

RICHARD
03-21-2003, 01:51 PM
right up the street here (lost angeles, ca)
they have had the street in front of the Kodak theatre
closed for 6 days to make sure that there are no security breeches for the oscars......

now, since some actors have condemmed the war effort and the
government, why are they afraid of a terrorist attack??

i'm so glad martin sheen is the president... lmmfao.

mugsy
03-21-2003, 02:01 PM
RICHARD!!! I'm with you, if they can't support us and bad mouth their own country, get your own security and YOU pay for it.

Oh well, I am all for the war effort since it was obvious that Saddam was not going to leave willingly. Mike and I were watching today at lunch (he brought lunch in today for me) and watching the bombings and he was pointing out things that I would never have noticed, like the fact the the bombs were ALL concentrated in one area. He said they were laser missles where they are totally precise in their targets, which made me feel a little better. I surely don't want to see anyone killed, so the fewer casualities the better.

Thank you for sharing the speech Lynne, it was very good!!

RICHARD
03-21-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by mugsy
RICHARD!!! I'm with you, if they can't support us and bad mouth their own country, get your own security and YOU pay for it.

Oh well, I am all for the war effort since it was obvious that Saddam was not going to leave willingly. Mike and I were watching today at lunch (he brought lunch in today for me) and watching the bombings and he was pointing out things that I would never have noticed, like the fact the the bombs were ALL concentrated in one area. He said they were laser missles where they are totally precise in their targets, which made me feel a little better. I surely don't want to see anyone killed, so the fewer casualities the better.

Thank you for sharing the speech Lynne, it was very good!!

FIRST OF ALL,
don't 'be with me'- i'm trouble all the time.

mike, it's guys like you that make the rest of us look bad.....brought her lunch, it's friday......thanks!

the JDAMS, GBU and TLAM missiles are a pretty awesome set of weapons systems..

mugsy
03-21-2003, 02:33 PM
And that would different for me how??? lol

I'll let Mike know when I get home! hehehe NOW....he also brought my best friend at school a sandwich too and SHE got a kiss!! And just for Richard....it was from Mike! ehhehe

NoahsMommy
03-21-2003, 02:48 PM
Lynne,

That's a wonderful speech. I've always hate seeing these stupid celebrities acting as though their very presence is more important than anyone else's. I mean come on, people know who you are because you can pretend!! So can children....

I'm praying hard for those fighting for the right thing. I was so sad to hear about the casualties in the malfunctioning helicopter. :( May God bless and be with thier families.

Ann
03-21-2003, 02:50 PM
I do not intend to "cause another row". I just want to say my opinion. I'll make it short.

Originally posted by lynnestankard
I say we should support the President of the United States and the U.S. Military and tell the liberal, tree-hugging, Birkenstock-wearing, hippy, tie-dyed liberals to go make their movies and music and whine somewhere else. After all, if they lived in Iraq, they wouldn't be allowed the freedom of speech they're being given here today.

One sentence she is telling the *insert "derogatory" names here* to get out of the USA, and the next one she is bragging about the freedom of speech allowed in the USA. That so doesn't make sense to me... Am I the only one who sees that hypocrisy in that?

Originally posted by gini
As you know there are protests all across the globe against America's actions in Iraq. Some of the countries protesting are ones that we have given millions upon millions of dollars in aid. Those dollars represent my own, most Pet Talker's and the nation's hard earned tax dollars.

But those tax dollars also come from the tons and tons of Americans that are against the war.

RICHARD
03-21-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Ann
I do not intend to "cause another row". I just want to say my opinion. I'll make it short.

But those tax dollars also come from the tons and tons of Americans that are against the war.

you are right......there are tons and tons of dollars that come from people who object to the war.......

but after those dollars leave our wallets the government spends them as they see fit, BFVs, M1A1, A-1O, JDAMS, NVG, F-117,
B1.... i abbreviated the weapons we bought with our tax dollars to keep my answer short.

NoahsMommy
03-21-2003, 03:00 PM
Most American's (most people) are against the act of war. Its happening, we can't do anything about it now.

Please, everyone, this thread was put here (in my opinion) to show patriotism, something to make us feel good about, in a sad situtation.

There are ton of other threads where you can talk about how stupid/wrong/immoral war and every politician is. Please leave one open for patriotism....

micki76
03-21-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Ann
One sentence she is telling the *insert "derogatory" names here* to get out of the USA, and the next one she is bragging about the freedom of speech allowed in the USA. That so doesn't make sense to me... Am I the only one who sees that hypocrisy in that?

Apparently. Please stop. Just please don't say anything if you can't say something nice.

sammi
03-22-2003, 03:49 AM
Thank you for posting that lynnestankard .

Soledad
03-22-2003, 04:32 AM
Why is it that people slander Susan Sarandon, Jeanene Garofolo and company for expressing their freedom of speech, but then extoll the virtues of conservative actors and entertainers?

I find the practice of boycotting and slandering entertainers with liberal views disgusting and unpatriotic as it is seeking to silence those with differing opinions especially when everyone's claiming that we're fighting for freedom!

Why don't all those conservative hawks and entertainers enlist if they want to war so badly. At least the liberals care about the lives of the soldiers by demanding more thought and consideration for their lives than the cavalier cowboy-esque actions of our government officials, most of whom have NEVER served themselves.

I know that things aren't being specifically directed at people here on PetTalk, but think a little bit before you go posting generalisations about those who are pro-peace. There are many on here who are, and I don't think anyone needs to feel attacked these days.

Cincy'sMom
03-22-2003, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by cheetahgirl
I hate when people call any country the greatest country on the face of the earth. We are not God that we can decide. God knows which country is the best, not us humans. The whole world belongs to God. The whole world is equal. No land is better than another.

I'm not sure God "knows" any country is best. It is like saying one religion isthe only one that is right. I think God judges us as individuals, not as countries, political divisions, or religions.

mugsy
03-22-2003, 05:58 AM
Soledad,

I dislike the Susan Sarandans because they are so blatantly anti-American, when they live in America. Like was said earlier, the actors (both conservative and liberal) seem to think they are much more important than they really are. I consider and discount WHAT people say not WHO says it and it just seems that a lot of people in Hollywood are of the opinion that their opinion is worth more because of who they are.

Also, I defend their right to say what they say to the end, but I defend my right to say how I don't like what they have to say. You're totally right, we, in America and in many other countries around the world, have the right to speak as we choose (as long as it doesn't cause civil unrest).

I just wish that people all over the world would rally together now to support Britain and the U.S. so that this war could be over quicker and things can get back to some sense of normalcy. I understand the anti-war sentiments, and I'm not asking that they go out and do the rally for America thing, just keep the protesting quiet until things are settled, because, let's face it, their protests are not going to stop this war now.

Have you ever wondered what this world would be like if it were run by dogs and cats and other pets?? Somehow I think it would be a lot more civilized.

At this point, I hope all people around the world will rally for their country. And I hope all believe that they live in the greatest nation in the world for them!

ChrisH
03-22-2003, 07:45 AM
...........I just wish that people all over the world would rally together now to support Britain and the U.S. so that this war could be over quicker and things can get back to some sense of normalcy. I understand the anti-war sentiments, and I'm not asking that they go out and do the rally for America thing, just keep the protesting quiet until things are settled, because, let's face it, their protests are not going to stop this war now...............

Thanks Molly, you said what I feel.

Chris

babolaypo65
03-22-2003, 08:17 AM
ANN:
I am sorry you are leaving for a while. I have always benefited from your posts. Its my personal opinion that hearing different perspectives is good. And, hearing perspectives from outside the US is also good.

I am posting my opinion here. I normally do not post my political opinions on pet talk. I apologize for posting it in the "wrong" thread.

I had not read the thread folks are referring to. I now have. I wish I hadn't. I dont find it patriotic at all. I find it demeaning, insulting, and depressing. It did not make me feel patriotic at all. As you intelligently pointed outl etters that insult liberals, that make fun of people, do not bring our country together. Letters that stereotype and lump people together, are not patriotic. Nor do they make pet talk a friendly place for people from other countries, or with other beliefs.
Now, before the flames begin:
Many, many members of my family are in the US military. My ex boyfriend, who i love dearly, is IN IRAQ IN THIS WAR. Front line. We are in a war. I support the troops. It is their job. I am NOT unamerican because I didn't think attacking Iraq was a good idea. I am not unAmerican because I chose to speak against the war prior to its start. I am AMERICAN. I support my troups for doing their job.
My country was founded with freedom of speech as one of its tenets. It is my right. It is my responsibility. Susan Sarandon is not "unAmerican" for stating her opinion and using her fame to state her opinion. Just as Oliver North isn't UnAmerican for using HIS fame to get HIS opinion out. Being American does not mean agreeing with everything your leaders say and do. If that is someone's definition of America, then, wow, their high school civics book had their countries confused.

I am a patriotic person. I love my country. I am also liberal. Liberals are not unpatriotic. Liberals are not a homogeneous group.
The wearing of birkenstocks, and one's opinions about abortion have absolutely nothing to do with one's opinions about this particular military effort.

Now, that said, I do believe that I should stop speaking out against the war now that it has begun (for the time being). I also believe that Susan Sarandon and others should. MOST have. I also believe that the writer of that letter should stop criticizing those who were against the war. and belittling them. We all should.

supporting our troups is a positive thing, insulting and belittling others is not. telling others they can not have their own opions is not. Support the troups.

Cataholic
03-22-2003, 08:36 AM
I get soo confused about this issue of war. Does someone really wake up one day and say, "I WANT to go to war, and have my countrymen and women die for no cause at all"? While peace is nice, and a way better idea, it just isn't possible, is it? It has been 12 years now....how much time to you give someone? I don't think someone really wants war/supports war, but, instead, supports the rationale for war/the necessity of war.

I don't want anyone to die, ever, and certainly not for the wrong reason. But, we are at war, the decision has been made, and the troops deserve our support, and prayers.

There seems something ironic about complaining of the freedoms we, as Americans, enjoy so much, but, not wanting to step up to the plate to ensure its continuation, or to see it happen for others.

God bless the troops, all sides/colors/nationalities, and thier families.

mugsy
03-22-2003, 08:49 AM
Well said Jo. Freedom's never free.

jackiesdaisy1935
03-22-2003, 09:14 AM
Since this is supposed to be a "Stand Up For America Rally" that's what I'm going to do. Of course we Americans are proud of our country, American means that we are English, Arab, Jewish, Indian, Swedish, German, Swiss, African, Mexican and many, many more nationalities all living together to form this great Nation. The soldiers are not just American, their families come from many different lands and they are proud to fight in this war to free the Iraqi people, just as we were freed many years ago.
Would you rather not have a war and let the people of Iraq live many more years in poverty and under this brutal dictatorship?

From what I hear it seems the British and American soldiers are doing everything possible to keep the city in tact, keep bombing away from the cililian population, at their own risk they are trying to help the people of Iraq to be able to have a decent life. Is there anyone on here who thinks the people of Iraq are happy in the life they are living now in fear of their life or their family's lives perhaps if they said the wrong thing they would be tortured or executed.
Why not give our men and women a break, realize their unselfishness in being in a country far away from home to help the Iraqi people realize a dream of a free nation.

I am very proud of our Country along with the British who have taken on this monumental task of ridding that country of a barbaric dictator. God Bless England and God Bless America
Jackie, Perry and Miss Daisy

gini
03-22-2003, 09:36 AM
Has anyone else heard of the grassroots movement to put yellow ribbons on your car, home, trees, to show support for our troops?

RockyRoad
03-22-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by gini
Has anyone else heard of the grassroots movement to put yellow ribbons on your car, home, trees, to show support for our troops?

We have a yellow ribbon on our car to support them. Our long-time neighbor and friend Christine's son Bill is overseas. She doesn't know where he is exactly though. Today my mom & I are putting up yellow ribbons on some of our trees to support the troops. :)

momoffuzzyfaces
03-22-2003, 12:21 PM
Thanks Lynne! That said a lot of what I feel.

One thing I've always wondered about. Why do Peace rallies often end in violence? Sounds countradictory to me.

What are they fighting for? They are trying to give people the right to make a phone call, ask a simple question and not have your husband murdered, chopped up, and delivered to you in a box just because you asked when he would be home for dinner. True story.

I'm very pro-America. We may not always be right but we are trying. Two of my great great plus grandfathers fought in the American Revolution and every male in my family has been in the service. My Dad in WWII, my brother in Vietnam and all my cousins and uncles and grandfathers. I now have a cousin in Kuwait. Don't tell me how senseless war is.. I know it is but sometimes it's needed.

Chinadoll
03-22-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by babolaypo65

Many, many members of my family are in the US military. My ex boyfriend, who i love dearly, is IN IRAQ IN THIS WAR. Front line. We are in a war. I support the troops. It is their job. I am NOT unamerican because I didn't think attacking Iraq was a good idea. I am not unAmerican because I chose to speak against the war prior to its start. I am AMERICAN. I support my troups for doing their job.
My country was founded with freedom of speech as one of its tenets. It is my right. It is my responsibility.

I agree with you. Right or wrong, oil or no, whether we should be in Iraq at all really isn't my concern. My one and only concern is supporting our troops. Bless them for having the courage to do a job so many would not.

Soledad
03-23-2003, 01:21 AM
I don't see how people continuing to voice their preference for peace has anything to do with if they respect the armed forces. There is just no correlation.

People are continuing to gather for peace to make their voices heard across the world. They are saying "we did not support this from the beginning, and now that it has started we still oppose it." No one thinks it will end the war. Many people have gathered here in NZ at peace gatherings. It is a place for everyone to gather and reflect on the reality of war. It is a somber occasion, where no one discusses politics, but gathers to find strength with other people. Why is that so threatening to people?

I don't think there is any excuse for the way liberal celebrities are being treated. It's a rude and immature way of trying to silence them and making them fall into line. No one is doing this to conservative celebrities. It is wrong to use your power to silence others, even if you want to call it freedom of speech or expression.

I like how suddenly everyone is compelled to "respect the position and authority of the Presidential office" nowadays, but in the Clinton years everyone was free to call the president a rapist, a sex addict, a murderer and God knows what else.

It's just hypocrisy.

Soledad
03-23-2003, 02:34 AM
I just love how people can have signs saying that protesting and using your freedom of expression/speech is equivalent to terrorism.

http://www.msnbc.com/c/0/144/771/inline/030321_protestss_03.jpg

mugsy
03-23-2003, 03:36 AM
Mike and I were planning on going to the rally, but, he had to work Friday night and couldn't get up in time for us to go. However, we listened to the report on the local radio station. I guess that there were over 20,000 people there (Geez that's just about the population of Auburn, the town where the rally was) and that at 11:00 am the highway going to the Kruse Auction Center was bumper to bumper traffic. No violence, just speeches and singing. Glenn Beck (who I hate to admit, I am not familiar with) spoke and Sandy Patti sang.

babolaypo65
03-23-2003, 10:49 AM
For me there is a correlation.
My own PERSONAL decision to refrain from protesting now that the war has begun has to do with my wish to make things easier on the families of those who are there, and easier on the soldiers who may have to go. I believe these people have a lot of stress right now, and I choose to not do something that I think adds to their stress. I remember during the 1991 gulf war it was hard on my friends and family who were military members (some there) to hear people protesting about something that wasn't really their choice any more. A friend's son was there and it upset her a lot to see people protesting while her son was there.

I am not "threatened" by the protesters during the war, I have just chosen for myself to stop. Each of these decisions along the way is, or rather should be, personal.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Soledad
[B]I don't see how people continuing to voice their preference for peace has anything to do with if they respect the armed forces. There is just no correlation.

mugsy
03-23-2003, 12:12 PM
You know it's funny, I don't remember a lot of protesting during Desert Shield/Desert Storm. Odd, isn't it, what you remember and what you don't.

babolaypo65
03-23-2003, 12:46 PM
You're right. I was not very precise with my post. There weren't "a lot" of protesters. There were some. Especially relative to this time, one couldn't say there were a lot.

mugsy
03-23-2003, 01:10 PM
I would definitely say that this war is A LOT more controversial than Desert Storm. I just hope that the veterans don't get treated like so many did after Vietnam....that really sucked. I actually dug out a pin that I had during Desert Shield/Storm that has a yellow ribbon on it and says "Unitil they all come home."

Twisterdog
03-23-2003, 06:05 PM
... they are so blatantly anti-American, when they live in America

I agree with this. These actors and actesses have their jobs and their millions of dollars because the live in the USA. There is probably no other country, or very few, in the world today where they could have acheived that fame and wealth ... and have the freedom of speech and freedom of press they do here.

I am a single parent. I went to college, I own my own business. I own my own home, and several vehicles. There are very few other countries in the world where I could have achieved this degree of success, being a single woman. In many, many countries I would have been killed long ago for some of these actions. Make no mistake about it, people .... the freedoms you have today in the USA are precious indeed. Do not take them for granted.

If you live in America, or you live in a country that gladly snaps up millions of dollars of foreign aid from America ... IMO, you should stand behind our troops, and be supportive so this can be over as quickly and painlessly as possible for all.

And, I believe that if one hates the USA and it's policies soooo much ... then perhaps one should move to another country, eh?

Soledad
03-23-2003, 06:07 PM
Oh, so if someone believes that their government is wrong, they are unpatriotic and should move somewhere else? They shouldn't bother to state their opinion or create change or anything. No, that would be anti-American.:rolleyes:

Twisterdog
03-23-2003, 06:20 PM
Oh, so if someone believes that their government is wrong, they are unpatriotic and should move somewhere else? They shouldn't bother to state their opinion

I never said that. I said that is someone HATES the USA and it's policies, then yes ... perhaps they need a new homeland. Why would you want to live somewhere where you are miserable, where you hate the country and where you disagree with the very principals it stands for?

I did not say one should not state their opinions .... but I do feel that anti-war protesters should take the high road at this time and give it a rest. People's husbands, sons, brothers, friends are on the front lines right now. I think the last thing these family members need to see is someone belittling our troops and screaming "No war!"

NO ONE likes war. NO ONE wants to die in a battle. NO ONE wants to drape a flag over a loved-one's coffin. It is not a matter of people being pro-war or anti-war, period, the end. It's not that simple, and anyone who thinks it is is very naive. EVERYone has a line, that when crossed, means war to them. There IS something that EVERY war-protester WOULD fight and die for. It's just that different people have different thresholds. NO ONE is a total warmonger or a total pasifist. Nothing is all black, or all white. Whether or not someone happens to think that this cause and this time was right or wrong for this war .... nevertheless, the war is here upon us, and I believe we need to support our troops and save our complaints for when this is over, and everyone is safely home.

Soledad
03-23-2003, 06:22 PM
I guess I'm having a hard time seeing where you differentiate America-haters from people who disagree with the war.

I don't believe Susan Sarandon hates America and everything it stands for. She just wants certain things to change. How is that anti-American??

Twisterdog
03-23-2003, 06:23 PM
P.S. Soledad ... I can see that you and I are going to have a lot of fun and good debates on this new board. :D Now we just need to get Lalania back here, too. :)

Twisterdog
03-23-2003, 06:30 PM
I guess I'm having a hard time seeing where you differentiate America-haters from people who disagree with the war.

Oh, you know what I mean ... you know the kind of people I mean. The people that have nothing good to say about the USA, ever, no matter what. (My sister is a prime example of this, BTW.) They don't like the president ... ever, no matter who he is. They don't like congress, they don't like the taxes, they don't like the political decisions ... no matter what they are. They are quick to say that America does this wrong, and that wrong, that the USA is a big bully, etc. etc. etc. Everyone knows someone like this ... after a while you just want to say, "Then why are you here?"

And .... just as a little food for thought ... have you ever seen me say anywhere that I necessarily ageed with the premise or timing of this war? Hmmmmmmm.........

And I wasn't speaking specifically of Susan S. Actually, I have no idea what she even said. I was just speaking of the genre of "We-Hate-The-USA-But-Won't-Leave-Because-We've-Got-It-Better-Here" whiners in general.

Soledad
03-23-2003, 06:31 PM
I know you're trying to be nice, but I don't find it fun to see so many Americans with such un-American ideals. It makes me very sad.

Soledad
03-23-2003, 06:33 PM
I guess I'm just not seeing the same Americans you are.

The Americans I know who are against the war are all smart, active people who love their country and want it to live up to the ideals and values that it professes to possess. They are active in their communities, churches, schools and local governments. They are just normal people who want to see how they can make this place better.

Twisterdog
03-23-2003, 06:49 PM
The Americans I know who are against the war are all smart, active people .....

And I repeat ... I'm not necessarily talking about everyong who is opposed to the war. I'm talking about people who seem to be opposed to every thing, every decision, every move the USA makes, ever.

And I repeat ... have you ever seen me say anywhere that I necessarily agreed with the premise or timing of this war? Hmmmmmmm.........

All I'm saying is that the war is here, right now. Protesting it now is only going to make people that are already hurting and worried feel worse ... people with loved-ones in Iraq. Why? I'm just saying that, IMO, no matter what your initial feelings were about this war, just give it a rest now until it's over. Then voice your opinion where it REALLY counts ... at the voting polls.

mugsy
03-23-2003, 09:03 PM
Soledad, my problem with S.S. is that she blatantly made statements that were aimed at attacking the American government. In my opinion, it went beyond questioning, but, you know what they say about opinions! ;) :p

I also have a problem with Natalie from the Dixie Chicks standing in front of an audience in London saying she was ashamed to be from Texas because that's where Bush is from. Sorry, but she should have kept her mouth shut, at least for right now. I know she has the freedom of speech, but there is something to be said for time and place.

In all honesty, who in their right mind, would say that they LIKE war. I think that Bush did what he felt that he needed to do and that's to take out of control an evil dictator. Do I think oil (aka the almighty dollar) had something to do with it? Yes I do, but, do I think it was the driving force in this decision? No, I don't.

RICHARD
03-24-2003, 12:50 PM
the whole thing boils down to having a freedom to speak and the responsibility that goes along with it.

protestors have the right idea, but don't have the brains to execute their plan, lying down in the streets and engaging the
cops are real intelligent ways of letting your thoughts be known.
also tying up the judicial system is another bright idea.

one thing that makes me laugh is the constants in their
"parrotry" (another pet reference...)..

war is not the answer.
no blood for oil (funnier yet as the 'stars' arrive in stretch limos to the oscars!)
we want peace, we want it now!!! like DUH.....
who doesn't want peace now???
invade washington! (on hollywood blvd some rocket scientist spray painted this on a building being remodeled.)

puke for peace......NOW there is a truly original idea!!!!
eat broccoli and tomatoes and beets before you go....next someone will try to take pics, make a book out of it and sell it under the pretense that its 'war art'...

peace protest that erupt into violence......oxymorons perpetrated by morons..

i love the USA, i just have problems with the people who THINK
it's o.k. to use their freedom of speech so irresponsibly.

think fast, hippy!

oodlesofpoodles
03-24-2003, 02:20 PM
I would definitely say that this war is A LOT more controversial than Desert Storm. I just hope that the veterans don't get treated like so many did after Vietnam....that really sucked. I actually dug out a pin that I had during Desert Shield/Storm that has a yellow ribbon on it and says "Unitil they all come home."

Amen, as I posted in another thread, many years ago I can remember going to the airport to pick up my father, oh so handsome in his uniform. Standing proud, wanting to see his family that he hasn't seen in 18mths. He looked tired and worn. but there he was, the greatest man in the world to me, my hero, my protector, my father. As he picked me up to hug me and kiss me, some person came up and spit in his face and called him a baby killer. This was done to a person that went and fought for the freedom that we so dearly love. the war was Viet Nam. My father still alive today, is still my hero, my protector and most of all still the greatest man in the world to me. You see I am very lucky to have my father, he was an M.I.A. missing in action for 6mths found in an hospital with no memory of who he was half of his mouth missing due to being shot. I dont want war as no one does. But I support the soldiers and our President during these hard times. My prayers are in my heart for all .

Dakota's Mommy
03-26-2003, 10:45 AM
Yes, thank you very much for sharing that! It really touched me! Thanks!