PDA

View Full Version : Going outside?

Barbara
03-21-2003, 03:09 AM
I have a question: I see all these kitties going outside with a leash and a harness and Filou and Tigris say Why can't we go. I tell them it is because they never would accept a harness. Did anybody of you start with the harness and leash after the cats were adult? And what are your experiences?
On one hand I think my 2 would enjoy nature out there, on the other hand I am sure it would be a very rough start with a leash....

03-21-2003, 03:47 AM
A question Barbara: do your cats wear a collar? If not, this it what you have to start with first!! They have to get used to this before they will accept the leash!
Some cats are easier to teach than others! Sydney f.e. never wanted to walk on a leash; he just dropped to the floor, and didn't move an inch:rolleyes: ; Maya is not kean on it either, but Inka loves it!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-21-2003, 10:10 AM
Barbara, I would suggest buying one of those harness things like Edwina wears. Start with one for the both of them if the harness will accomodate their size differences to keep the cost down if it turns out they don't accept it. Try putting it on them in the house while they are in familiar surroundings. Let them wear it for awhile, even if they hunker down and don't move at first. Like Edwina, they might just find something that interests them and they will forget the harness is even there. Just let them where it a couple of times to see how they react. If they stay hunkered down for hours on end, well, that might be a problem. But I think they will soon forget it's there. Then all you need to do is attach the leash and venture out, and once you do that it's pretty much guaranteed there be so much to look at, sniff at and check out that the harness will be the least of their problems.

I think Kelly, NoahsMommy, tried this procedure with Basil, but I don't remember how it went. And Lut's idea of starting with the collar is a good one too.

Tubby was a little terror and had no problem with his collar when I first put it on. Peanut was a little skeptical, but once she got outside she forgot all about the collar since her nose was going a million miles a minute. ;) :D

Good luck and please keep the camera handy if you decide to try it. :)

moosmom
03-21-2003, 04:21 PM
I never really broke Moo in on a ferret harness. I just put it on him and went. He's a very laid back and mellow cat. LOVES people and being the center of attention.

I put Maya Linn in a harness and walked her around my livingroom first. Then we went outside. It didn't take long.

I would suggest the latter method. Get them used to the harness first. Then the rest is a cake walk :D

All Creatures Great And Small
03-21-2003, 05:08 PM
I don't know, I just put the harness on him, opened the door, and let him do whatever he felt like doing! He didn't have any problem with the harness and leash, but he was a little intimidated by his sudden freedom, and not too sure where he could/should go. He was 2 years old when we first took him out on the harness. Even if they just lay there and refuse to move, it's still nice to get them out in the fresh air.