PDA

View Full Version : Do cats see reflections?

slleipnir
03-20-2003, 08:00 PM
My mom called me up today all panic like telling me to go over because the cat was attacking her or something..so I went and I guess the cat would hiss at her whenever she got up. It seemed to me that something spooked her, and when that happens they don't really think about who their putting their anger/fear out on, right? My mom got a new entertainment center a week or more ago and the shelves close over with a glass door which the cat kinda jumps up on paws at etc. Thats what seemed to freak her out, I don't get it, I didn't think they could see refections without a scent? Poor kitty :[

rosethecopycat
03-20-2003, 08:16 PM
Snowy loves to sit in front of a floor mirror and A) admire himself B) watch what's going on in the background through the mirror.
He also see's himself in the bathtub but has no reaction to his shadow or any shadow.

NoahsMommy
03-20-2003, 10:30 PM
Oh yes!!! Noel thinks there's another kitty in there. In fact, everynight, after we turn the lights out (and turn thier night lights on ;) ) she is up on the sink looking for her friend/lover/whoever. Its so cute. She stands on her back legs and just stares. She get down in the sink and stands up again.

Too cute! :D

marysmerrycats
03-20-2003, 11:04 PM
yes they do see relections! and when my cats look at theirs, its so funny!

Barbara
03-21-2003, 03:01 AM
Of course they see reflections. When they were little Filou and Tigris tried to attack their reflection in the mirror or to walk around but now they have learned that it's not real.

On the other hand they still go crazy for light reflections in an empty bath tub or for reflection you produce with the glass of your watch at the ceiling or the walls.

03-21-2003, 04:03 AM
None of my cats react when I put them in front of a mirror :confused: :confused: !

slleipnir
03-21-2003, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by lut
None of my cats react when I put them in front of a mirror :confused: :confused: !

Mine either, till now :confused:

HayleyRosie
03-21-2003, 06:03 AM
Hayley is afraid of her reflection in the mirror. Mandy don't give any response.

catmandu
03-21-2003, 09:51 AM
i bought a mirror as a Christmas gift fo a friend , and the cats were so funny . Joseph would peek around to see if that Grey and white cat was there , and then try to swat him. The Siamese spent hours runninguoto the mirror to see themselves. I am looking for a inexpensive one they had so much FUN!

Russian Blue
03-21-2003, 10:12 AM
It took a long time for Nakita to adjust to the french doors in our living room! Especially in the evening when there are 'evil reflections' lurking in the doors!

Everytime she approached the living room her back would go up and she would do the I'm not scared of you cat dance. It was hysterical! In the beginning, she was so scared she would refuse to come into the living room in the evenings.

She eventually got over it. But every so often, the reflection will catch her off guard and she'll go back to doing the scard cat dance!

:D

Chinadoll
03-21-2003, 10:23 AM
From what I read, cats do see a reflection, but they don't have the capacity to realize that it is their reflection. Don't know if that's trueor not. The only cat who plays with a mirror is Bixby. He'll paw at it, I think he thinks it's another kitty. But what amazed me was one time when he had his back to me, he was staring at the mirror and I was looking at his reflection in the mirror only to realize that he was staring at *my* reflection in the mirror. When I tilted my head to the side, he tilted his head to the side. It was so cute.

lynnestankard
03-21-2003, 12:17 PM
I'm sure they see reflections - but not necessarily in a mirror!
All three of mine love to sit on the window sill at night - curtains open - dark outside - and they appear to to stare at their lovely selves!!

Lynne