PDA

View Full Version : Lent

marysmerrycats
03-20-2003, 07:23 PM
how many people are giving something up for Lent?
I have given up, soda, and pizza!...and Im craving both LOL

mugsy
03-20-2003, 07:33 PM
Geez, do you have a death wish?? hehehe I don't give up anything, because I know I don't have enough will power, but I do follow the no meat Fridays.

NoahsMommy
03-20-2003, 07:35 PM
I'm not Catholic, but I am fasting soda until Easter as well.

Soledad
03-20-2003, 08:03 PM
I miss Lent! I always gave up whatever was most precious to me because my mom used to tell us the story of Jesus in the desert with such detail, that I knew I should honour it. I was a very devout little girl, surprisingly enough.;)

popcornbird
03-20-2003, 08:08 PM
I'm confused! What's Lent? :confused: Anyone care to explain? :)

mugsy
03-20-2003, 08:10 PM
If you miss it, you should participate. I don't see why you shouldn't, even if you are an atheist, look at it as a character strengthener!! lol

Soledad
03-20-2003, 08:11 PM
Agnostic, really. But every now and then I get nostalgic, and will hang out in Catholic churches. I just LOVE the smell and the feel, just the peace of being inside the church.:)

I guess I could still do it. But aren't I late?

mugsy
03-20-2003, 08:13 PM
Nah...just consider yourself a late bloomer!! ehehehe

Karen
03-20-2003, 08:35 PM
Popcornbird, Lent is a period of time in the Christian calendar of 40 days (not counting Sundays) before Holy Week. Holy Week starts on Palm Sunday, (which commemorates Jesus' ride into Jerusalem) include Maunday Thursday (which commemorates the Last Supper), Good Friday (the crucifixion) and East (the ressurection). Lent echoes the 40 days Jesus spent in the wilderness, when he was tempted by the devil, and had to consider the ultimate sacrifice of his life. The actual days vary each year, because it Holy Week coincides with Passover, celebrated by the Jewish faith, and that's based on an older calendar..

So for this period of time, Christians often "give something up" to honor Jesus' sacrifice. Many Catholics don't eat red meat on Fridays during Lent, as one example.

popcornbird
03-20-2003, 08:46 PM
Oh I see! What do people normally "give up?" Can you give up anything, or it has to be something in particular? Thanks for explaining!

Soledad
03-20-2003, 08:47 PM
I always thought it was best to give up something you'd truly miss or to break a bad habit. I thought it meant more when it was something you'd truly miss.

Too bad my brothers didn't think so, they always gave up asparagus.:p

Karen
03-20-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
Oh I see! What do people normally "give up?" Can you give up anything, or it has to be something in particular? Thanks for explaining!

I'm not Catholic, so I'm not sure for strict Catholics, but you can just choose something yourself, usually something you enjoy, so it is a "sacrifice." It's a personal choice.

popcornbird
03-20-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Soledad

Too bad my brothers didn't think so, they always gave up asparagus.:p

LOL :eek: :eek: :eek:

mugsy
03-20-2003, 09:25 PM
Actually it's not just red meat, it's all meat exept fish.

ASPARAGUS!!?? lol.

I can never decide what I want to give up and then I end up not giving anything up because I can't seem to make a command decision.

Cincy'sMom
03-20-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Karen

I'm not Catholic, so I'm not sure for strict Catholics, but you can just choose something yourself, usually something you enjoy, so it is a "sacrifice." It's a personal choice.

Good explaination. In Catholic grade school we were alwys told you didn't have to give something up per se, but make some sacrifice. It could be giving up something or it could be doing something extra

marysmerrycats
03-20-2003, 10:45 PM
this is the first time in a few years I have given up something, and it is nice to be doing so...even though I would love to sink my teeth into a large pizza right now and wash it down with soda!
Popcornbird, yes Karen is right, it can be anything that you want it to be, whatever would be a sacrifice to you...like pizza is to me lol. I thought about giving up the computer for Lent but I just couldn't!

popcornbird
03-20-2003, 10:47 PM
All of you who do observe Lent, I know EXACTLY what you can "give up." It would be the BIGGEST sacrifice! PT! LOL! :D

J/K ;)

andrea_NMAggie
03-20-2003, 10:57 PM
I decided to give up "sweet" and "salty" snacks between meals. At work, in my office, it seems like there are always goodies to eat...and I've gotten into an awful habit of snacking during the day. Figures that during the first week of lent, we would get "treats" of jelly beans, m&m's and donuts... I was being put to the test!!! I've held out so far, with only one mis-hap...I had ONE hershey's kiss yesterday shortly after I had a minor emotional breakdown.

Twisterdog
03-20-2003, 11:05 PM
I'm not Catholic, but I don't think it matters. Jesus fasted and prayed for forty days, so it pertains to all Christians. The Bible says WHEN you fast and pray .... not IF you fast and pray, so I always felt Lent should be a Christian observance and not just a Catholic one.

At any rate ... I'm not Catholic, but I try to observe Lent every year.

And this year .....

DRUMROLL PLEASE ......

I QUIT SMOKING!!!

After fifteen years of a pack and a half per day ... NOT an easy task! :D :D :D

NoahsMommy
03-20-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Twisterdog
I'm not Catholic, but I don't think it matters. Jesus fasted and prayed for forty days, so it pertains to all Christians. The Bible says WHEN you fast and pray .... not IF you fast and pray, so I always felt Lent should be a Christian observance and not just a Catholic one.

At any rate ... I'm not Catholic, but I try to observe Lent every year.

And this year .....

DRUMROLL PLEASE ......

I QUIT SMOKING!!!

After fifteen years of a pack and a half per day ... NOT an easy task! :D :D :D

Amazing!!! That is so wonderful....I'm proud of you Twister Dog!!!

I couldn't agree more with your statement above. That's why I wanted to do it this year. :)

anna_66
03-21-2003, 08:10 AM
I gave up smoking:)

Good luck to all of you who have given up something for Lent, I know how hard it must be, but you can do it!!

lynnestankard
03-21-2003, 08:17 AM
Well done Twisterdog - you and Anna both giving up at the same time - you could use each other as 'buddies' - you know when one gets the urge to light-up they phone the other!!

Most of my friends give up chocolate for Lent - I couldn't do it this year and feel a total fat-freak - but I do need chocoate!

Lynne

03-21-2003, 10:35 AM
I used to save up all my sweets in a box during Lent, as a child:rolleyes: . As an adult now, I am supposed to refuse yummie things during this period; but, I do not follow this rules! I don't like to be forced into anything. If I give up something or refuse a sweet, it is by my own choice, and not because others expect me to!! I also don't force my children to do it.

NoahsMommy
03-21-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by lut
If I give up something or refuse a sweet, it is by my own choice, and not because others expect me to!!
I think its a personal choice, just like religion. I don't know anyone that is giving anything up...except for those here, becides me. I did it for personal reasons...