PDA

View Full Version : BAD!!! You have to check this out!!!

NoahsMommy
03-20-2003, 03:07 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Oh my gosh! Go to www.google.com and type in your phone number and area code...

Your name and address will be revealed, as well as anything on the web with your information!!!!

This is horrible!!!!!!

I'm calling my phone company right now to get my phone number unlisted...of course, after the fact!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Kfamr
03-20-2003, 03:14 PM
wow... even had my dad's name and all.

NoahsMommy
03-20-2003, 03:23 PM
Yea! My mom's number is UNLISTED and their names came up!

Ours was complete with a map. Great!!!

sasvermont
03-20-2003, 03:27 PM
It doesn't bother me as I have known about reverse directories for some time. I wonder how it works with social security numbers? Now that is a worry. I shall try!

Ugh. Good thing I have nothing to hide!

RockyRoad
03-20-2003, 03:29 PM
I typed in mine, and it came up with some lady's info. Weird. But that is a total invasion of privacy. :mad:

03-20-2003, 03:29 PM
It is not working for me! GOOD!!!!!:rolleyes: :D :D

Kfamr
03-20-2003, 03:40 PM
it doesnt come up anything aobut us though? just out adress which can be located on alot of sites and our numnber can too {like Karen got my number from switchboards.com or something ]

Sara luvs her Tinky
03-20-2003, 03:55 PM
mine is coming up as a "not valid" search.. thank goodness...
How unfair that they display all your information like that!!:mad:

Dakota's Mommy
03-20-2003, 03:56 PM
When I put in our phone number, ours did not turn anything up. However, ours is a new number (as of last July) and it's in military housing! However, my parents number brought up my dad's name and address but that was it!

Jessica12345
03-20-2003, 03:59 PM
hehe! they have our old addres from before we moved a few months ago:p

but that is horrible!

:mad: :mad:

popcornbird
03-20-2003, 04:31 PM
Haha. We're not even on it! :p

Didn't work for me. It changed the area code and gave someone else's info. :D

jenluckenbach
03-20-2003, 04:35 PM
I typed it in like this:
123-456-7890
would that be the right way to enter it ? because it came up with nothing, which is good!

NoahsMommy
03-20-2003, 04:37 PM
Yea...that's how it works.

I'm glad it isn't very consistant. Its scarey having your name, phone number and a map to your house online....eep! :eek:

neko1
03-20-2003, 05:59 PM
It gave me the same info as my phone book would so I'm not worried. I guess it's because I have no web information that it doesn't bother me.

marysmerrycats
03-20-2003, 06:28 PM
how did you find that?
I have heard about things like this , that are out there in cyberspace, all kinds of info for anyone that knows how to get it...scary!

catland
03-20-2003, 06:35 PM
it only gave us the reverse directory information. But we don't list our address in the phone book and use our initial instead of our first name.

Then I typed in CATLAND and found some really fun stuff!

sisterdog
03-20-2003, 08:13 PM
Haha. It came up with the reverse directory stuff, but listed my last name the same as my partner's instead of my own.

Karen
03-20-2003, 08:45 PM
When I wanted to reach KayAnn one day, and wasn't sure she'd get an email in time, I was able to find her phone number because I had her name and address from the Christmas Card list from two years ago. I might have even been able to get it the old-fashioned way through an operator, but I found a few matches on Switchboard.com, and guessed right first try! I had to explain to KayAnn's Dad, who was a little (justifiably) suspicious just who I was, but that's okay. That's just how dads SHOULD be when a stranger calls asking for their kid! :)

We use that Google feature at work somtimes, when people give us a phone number, but no address, and we need to mail something to them. It's far easier than phone tag. It is also handy, just like reverse phone directories, when you've written down a phone number, and later can't remember whose it is!

Jessica12345
03-20-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Karen
when you've written down a phone number, and later can't remember whose it is!

I do that *a lot*! :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes: lol

AmberLee
03-20-2003, 09:16 PM
Hmmm. Mine showed my initials, city, state and zip.

My parents had all their info though, AND also listed them as providing tennis lessons for one of their cities largest parks and rec departments! I wonder if that's why Mom's been driven buggy by wrong numbers? (Dad doesn't answer the phone except once in a blue moon :rolleyes: :p )

Ann
03-21-2003, 04:10 AM
Didn't work for me either, guess it only applies to USA residents.

However, I don't think it's Google's database. I think it's Yahoo's online phonebook or whatever it's called... It's quite useful actually, my boyfriend couldn't remember his grandma's phone number over in the states so he just looked it up there by searching for her last name.