PDA

View Full Version : Bassett's visit for soft paws

Nomilynn
03-19-2003, 05:53 PM
Hi everyone. Bassett had her soft paws applied today. I'm glad I did it at the vet first because they were able to give me some tips about how to keep the glue under control and everything :)

Bassett was very well behaved for her capping. I did find out some info though that I thought I would share.

The tech who put Bassett's caps on said that at first she thought soft paws were great, but now she really doesn't like them. Too often, the cats are ok for the first couple of applications, but after two or three, they get really agitated and scared having to come to the vet. She also said that most cats don't have their nails last 4-6 weeks; she said in her experience it was more like 3. Also, she said that more often than not, the kitties nails become unhealthy under the cap all the time, and so I should watch to see if they nail becomes what she called "red and raw" and painful. She said that her experience with soft paws hasn't been all that good, but that's only her opinion. However I thought what she said was good info so I wanted people to hear about it :)

So far, Bassett has tried to rip them off, and when she first walked in them she was flipping her feet around. I think she's sleeping somewhere right now so that's a good thing :)

NoahsMommy
03-19-2003, 06:20 PM
Naomi,

Very good advice...thanks for sharing it, I'll have to watch our cat's nails.

One thing you can do to get her used to them is play with a toy where she has to reach and grab for it. I did that with Noel and she got used to them much quicker.

Noah had his put on yesterday. He was upset...but happy to see mommy after he was done. He has no idea they are on either....and...because his fur on his feet is so fluffy, you can barely see them. :D Cutie!!

Are you going to re-apply them at home? We figured that we can do it while they are sleeping, one at a time. That way, they wont be scared.

Nomilynn
03-19-2003, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the toy-tip :)

Yep, now that I've been shown how to do it, if I decide to continiue with the soft paws, I'm going to do it at home from now on :) But I didn't want to do it alone the first time and mess something up :p

NoahsMommy
03-19-2003, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
But I didn't want to do it alone the first time and mess something up :p
That's exactly why we have the vet do it too. It really helped to see how they held them and how to get their claws out.

aly
03-20-2003, 04:10 PM
Shiloh would be so pretty with red nails. But she doesn't really need them. I guess I can hope she gets really destructive so I can throw some on her :D :D

wolflady
03-20-2003, 04:31 PM
:D
LOL LOL How fun! Lots of kitties getting Soft Paws caps!! Marius has been wearing them for years, and I have never had a problem. That's good advice though, and I'll be sure to keep an eye on his nails. His caps on average last about 4 weeks, then they start shedding off one at a time. I actually usually wait until 3 or 4 from one paw fall off before I reapply, so his nails are always sharp and healthy looking. I always clip the tips of his nails before I apply the new caps. Everything has been working great for us for a few years now, so I hope you both have nothing but good experiences with your soft paws applications as well.

I have never had it done at the vet's office before, so I'm curious how they do it! :D LOL I think you'll notice that they may shed their first application of Soft Paws quicker than normal, but once they get used to it, it will be a pretty consistent monthly routine!

**hugs**
Karen