PDA

View Full Version : my cat Sunny

judymin61
03-19-2003, 02:13 PM
I am writing to see if anyone has any insight to this problem I have. I have two cats. One 3 and the other is 1. My oldest cat has no problem whatsoever with other people around. My other cat Sunny is absolutlly terrified of other people. Terrified is an absolute understatement! I wouldn't say, if he was abused when he was a kitten, but I have had him since he was 8 weeks old. The lady I got him from was, from all apearances, a sweet woman. As a matter of fact when she went to get him for me, he was terrified of me. As a matter of fact she was sad to give him up as she said he was her favvorite! She is right, he is incredibly affectionate! Someone comes over and sheer panick sets in! I can't figure this out as my other cat is so laid back. There is anything I can do?

jenluckenbach
03-19-2003, 02:55 PM
There is a distinct possibility that the cat was not properly socialized as a kitten. They need to be handled by humans VERY early. You may never make him a social butterfly. I have a couple of "no-see-ums" myself. There is no way that these cats are going to allow other humans to see them. I do not know why, but I accept them as they are. If your cat is good with you, and the family he lives with, and is not suffering in any other way, you just might have to let him hide when there is company.
Sorry I do not have more suggestions, but if you do find an answer, I may need to listen to that advice myself.

judymin61
03-20-2003, 10:07 PM
Hi, thanks for your reply. It is a mystery why he panicks. About the only person he is ok with besides me is my boyfriend. I can't say that it is a huge problem, it's just that it's a shame cause I know people would fall in love with him as he is such a clown and such a sweet guy and did I forget handsome:cool: ? Oh well if we love them I guess we must accept their foibles!

catland
03-21-2003, 01:40 PM
You could be describing my Sidney who is six years old. He used to be totally terrified whenever someone came by. It was as if he lost all ability to be domestic and was reverting to his wilder instincts. But we have showered him with affection, and it is paying off. He will never be a laid back, friendly kitty to others, but if we have visitors, he can actually begin to warm up to them after an hour or two. He'll even allow others to pet him.:D

When we got him from the shelter, his little bio said "needs a lot of TLC" - so apparently they could tell that he was under-socialized. He is not a lap cat, but is very sweet. He loves to be petted and have his chin and head scratched. He'll sit on the back of the couch right next to us.

So there is hope. Just accept him for who he is and shower him with love.

smokey the elder
03-22-2003, 08:40 AM
If someone complains about not seeing a kitty who is very affectionate with you, point out that "we didn't get him for you.:p " The vast majority of my cats vamoose when visitors come over. Cats in general are very choice about their friends. Of course there are some like Diva and RB Smokey who are attention hogs!:D

judymin61
03-24-2003, 12:44 AM
This is a short note to all those who have replied, thanks! I would also like to thank those who will ad further replies, as I cannot thank each individually, although I would like to, if there are more responses I think it would take up to much space. So, one big thankyou to all!

krazyaboutkatz
03-30-2003, 05:34 PM
Welcome to pet talk judymin61. :) You'll find that the people here are great. :) I also have a male cat named Sunny. He's almost 3 years old and half aby and half tabby. He seems to be very afraid of men. I adopted him when he was 8 months old so he may have had a very bad experience with a man. I'm glad that your Sunny is very affectionate with you. I'd also love to see some pictures of him hint hint. :)

judymin61
03-30-2003, 06:36 PM
Hi krazyaboutkatz!
Thanks for your request to see pictures (I have received other requests). I would love to send pictures, however, I do not have a scanner but should aquire one by April or May latest! So, hang in there gang, as I love seeing your pictures, you will soon be seeing my two cats! Thanks for the welcome, and I would like to say, my Sunny looks like yours.

carole
04-01-2003, 10:38 PM
yes lexie is a little like that too, terrified if people even walk by on the roadside, but she can be ok sometimes, just waltzed in whilst my girlfriend who she does not know and did not worry, but she is really scared of my 21 yr old son, and he has been nothing but nice to her, cant explain it, i dont know her full history so who knows, but good point , u got the kitty for your family no one else, anyhow i have social phobia myself so i can understand where kitty is coming from seriously.