PDA

View Full Version : I didn't think it was funny at all...

COCatMama
03-18-2003, 11:37 PM
when i got into work this AM, the boss and the lady I work with were laughing at something on her puter, so i had a look-see. It was a 'joke' commercial for Nokia or something, featuring a cat toy tied to a ceiling fan (fan is on) and a cat jumps up and grabs the toy and is swung around and around and around yowling, and finally lets go and goes SMACK against a wall. you kinda see the cat run away but they never say if he is okay or not. Anyway, the people at work were howling with laughter, and i didn't even smile. I didn't think it was remotely funny!!! and I have a pretty good sense of humour.
:mad:

aly
03-19-2003, 01:08 AM
I am assuming it was fake, right???

marysmerrycats
03-19-2003, 06:19 AM
I certainly hope it was fake, but that doesn't make it in any better taste! what's wrong with those people! maybe they would like to go for a "spin" on a fan?:mad:

Pam
03-19-2003, 06:30 AM
:mad: :mad: No, not funny at all!

neko1
03-19-2003, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by marysmerrycats
what's wrong with those people! maybe they would like to go for a "spin" on a fan?:mad:

That's what I was thinking, those jerks:mad:

COCatMama
03-19-2003, 08:55 AM
it looked real to me....
:mad:

moosmom
03-19-2003, 08:59 AM
I find the whole thing in VERY poor taste. Look at the kids who try and imitate wrestling moves. Who's to say they wouldn't try something like that. UGH!! Stupid, STUPID PEOPLE!!!! :mad: :mad:

COCatMama
03-19-2003, 09:05 AM
I agree, the people at work think I am "weird" because I am a vegetarian and stuff :mad:

All Creatures Great And Small
03-19-2003, 09:51 AM
I just don't understand why it's always cats who are the butt of these tasteless jokes. You never see stupid bumper stickers or commercials talking about dogs, cat, rabbits, rodents, or any other pets, but cat-bashing apparently is just OK. Where I work, the book department had a calendar for sale last Xmas called "101 Ways To Kill A Cat", with idiotic cartoon drawings of various methods, like a giant slingshot aimed off a cliff. I was FURIOUS and fired off an e-mail to the buying department, insisting that they pull it from the shelves immediately because it was OFFENSIVE, not in keeping with our family-friendly philosophy, and really tasteless considering the season. They responded that since no one else had complained, they wouldn't be pulling it. http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/sauer/angry-smiley-030.gifhttp://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/sauer/angry-smiley-030.gifhttp://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/sauer/angry-smiley-030.gif Oh, and I also had to endure being ridiculed by co-workers as being "overly sensitive" and "having no sense of humor".

I think cats should be protected under the "hate crime" laws just like other persecuted minorities.............

iceyshiver21
03-19-2003, 12:43 PM
Somtimes people have the worst taste in whats funny....

RockyRoad
03-19-2003, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Lalania
I agree, the people at work think I am "weird" because I am a vegetarian and stuff :mad:

Same here! We studied food and nutrition in H&CS, and everyone was like "What kind of retards would do that?!" and "Animals are stupid!" when we hit onto vegiterianism. A lot of people do know I'm a vegiterian, and my friends' parents give me looks when I tell them.
I REALLY wish that we could have an education program on animal abuse in schools, just like we do for drugs. More people in my school NEED to know about animal abuse. There was some idiot boys who did something horrifying to a bird somewhere on L.I., and it was in the news. One of the girls in my english class did a presentation on it, and half of the class started howling with laughter!!! It was a CRUEL and SICK thing that they did -- I am not saying it because I do not want to upset bird lovers, and all animal lovers. Almost 3/4 of my school think declawing is good! :mad: :mad: Even some of my friends! So I explained to them what exactly makes it so cruel. They just said "So?!" It really disappoints me that less people in our generation-at this age-don't care about abuse, and think it is "entertatining". I've known kids who shot their dogs with paintball guns, trying to pretend they are hunters. That is truly making a mockery out of some hunters, for I do know a hunter who has a kind heart for animals.

Back to the commercial thing- That is so cruel. It is horrible how people can do that. :mad: :mad: I hope they used a fake cat, but fake or real, it still gets across the same message. It's no different from the Quizno's commercial (which sadly, I see almost four times a day, and I don't watch TV that much). :mad: :( :mad: What jerks.

bluekat
03-19-2003, 04:31 PM
:mad: Oh please, that is so not funny, just STUPID and idiotic! Very bad taste in what's funny! yeah, i think they'd like to try for a spin, the poor kitty could have gotten hurt too!
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

COCatMama
03-19-2003, 04:35 PM
I've been a veggie for 13 years now :D

weiner_teddy
03-19-2003, 06:35 PM
No thats not very funny at all, I hate to see any animal get hurt, they have feelings too!

Jessica12345
03-19-2003, 06:38 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad:
agh!
:mad: :mad: :mad:

NoahsMommy
03-19-2003, 06:56 PM
It's sad. It just shows how low people's moral are....
everything is "funny" and we need to have access to "everything"...nothings sacred anymore. :mad:

Very sad.

I wonder if those who create this crap are people who's significant others chose the cats over them. I know my hubby has said repeatedly "You love those cats more than me." (uh, yeah! ;) )

COCatMama
03-19-2003, 09:38 PM
oh heck ya i'd choose my pet over some guy.

kohala
03-19-2003, 10:43 PM
The insensitivity of people where cats are concerned is probably based in fear. It's amazing how many people who (claim to) love big dogs hate and fear little kitties!! I think feline independance threatens some people's sense of control and power. Fear is a typical reaction, and unrecognized (subliminal?) fear is common.
The comments about animal abuse education (along with drug abuse, etc.) was an excellent idea. I have learned over the years that to get your agenda looked at, you sometimes have to consider the perspective of the people you want to look at your idea.
Considering that most people who grow into abusers, murderers, rapists, etc., of humans (spouses, children, etc.) often start out by tormenting animals. It would be nice to think you could promote animal abuse programs on their own merit, but by bringing in the relevance to human social concerns, you probably could get a more positive response.
We should start a movement, or find out if one is under way. It's a marvelous idea!!!

BTW - FLS - I was searching for a thread you might have started about Kelsey - anyway, my condolences, honey. RIP, sweet Kelsey.

COCatMama
03-19-2003, 10:59 PM
I love cats, and always have and they are NOT independent as people think they are. They are just as much in need of our company and love as a dog is. My landlord's cat loves me, if he sees me outside he comes running up meowing for some lovin' :)

Kfamr
03-19-2003, 11:08 PM
I don't think it would be funny.:eek:

kohala
03-19-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Lalania
I love cats, and always have and they are NOT independent as people think they are. They are just as much in need of our company and love as a dog is. My landlord's cat loves me, if he sees me outside he comes running up meowing for some lovin' :)

I agree, Lalania - Grasshopper Shadowcat Magicat is my living proof!!;) But there are an amazing number of people who perceive them that way, and subconsciously (just my opinion, obviously) fear and therefore abuse them. Pretty sick individual, that could harm any living being - and VERY sick commercial - it would have p'd me off royally had I seen it!!!!