PDA

View Full Version : Neuter Frisco ?

wolfsoul
03-18-2003, 08:52 PM
I'm thinking about getting Frisco neutered...I'm tired of dealing with his aggressive tendencies :( It's too much to deal with...

Does anyonew know the statistics on neutering rats? I pretty much just want to know the chances of him becoming a little more docile and calm...

If I can't neuter him, I'll have to put him down because if he ever attacked my brother, my mother's boyfriend will kill him with his bare hands :( Putting him down will be much better than him suffering that way...

Desert Arabian
03-18-2003, 10:51 PM
I got Fred and Oscar neutered, and it cost $163. They still "beat" the $%&# out of each other, and they are still just as manly, even though their "bits" are missing, lol. :p. The reason why we got them neutered, is so they could live with the ladies- and not make any kids.

They take out the testicles, and leave the scrotum. They do not suture it back up, it closes on its own. You should keep them in a cage with newspaper, and change the newspaper daily. Shredded newspaper, that is.

If I can't neuter him, I'll have to put him down because if he ever attacked my brother, my mother's boyfriend will kill him with his bare hands Putting him down will be much better than him suffering that way...

WOAH! HOLD ON CHARLIE....WTF???? IF THE RAT BITES YOUR BROTHER KEEP IT AWAY FROM YOUR BROTHER. DO NOT PUT IT TO SLEEP FOR DEFENDING ITSELF...TAKE IT TO THE HUMANE SOCIETY. THE ANIMAL SHOULD NOT BE KILLED BECAUSE ITS OWNER CAN'T PUT UP WITH ITS AGGRESSION. KILLING AN ANIMAL DOES NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM. I AM SO SICK OF READING POSTS BY YOU STATING THAT IF YOU CAN'T DO SUCH AND SUCH..THE ANIMAL WILL BE KILLED...DON'T HAVE PETS THEN. GGGGGGGGRRRRRRR! IF YOU WANT A PET, GET A CHIA PET OR A ROCK...YOU'D PROBABLY WANT TO KILL THAT TOO FOR SMASHING YOUR TOE WHEN YOU DROPPED IT.

wolfsoul
03-18-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover

AM SO SICK OF READING POSTS BY YOU STATING THAT IF YOU CAN'T DO SUCH AND SUCH..THE ANIMAL WILL BE KILLED...DON'T HAVE PETS THEN. GGGGGGGGRRRRRRR! IF YOU WANT A PET, GET A CHIA PET OR A ROCK...YOU'D PROBABLY WANT TO KILL THAT TOO FOR SMASHING YOUR TOE WHEN YOU DROPPED IT.

:confused: I never once said that my animals will be killed, save from this post :confused: this is the first post I have ever mentioned putting down one of my animals...
I DO keep my brother away from my rat, but my brother also gets home an hour and a half before I do, where he is apparently free to go into my room :mad: even though he is not allowed :mad: GRRR LITTLE BROTHERS ARE PAINS!!! :mad: :rolleyes:
I never said that I wanted to put down Frisco...But I may be forced to...my mother's already told me to just whack him over the head and kill him :mad: and says that one day she will, and I'm not unbelieving of that :( I'm afraid that not getting rid of his insistent aggressive behaviour will give her a reason :( A bad reason, but whatever...I nevr said I am putting him down, just if I can't get him neutered I may have to...but I AM getting him neutered, so no trouble there :) I was only stating..
We don't havea humane society in Kelowna...we do have an SPCA, but I would NEVER take him there....It's absolutely discusting in there! You can smell it like a mile away :eek:
And I don't want to be responsible for getting other people hurt anyways...which is why I want to get him neutered... NOT PUT DOWN...NEUTERED...

Desert Arabian
03-18-2003, 11:16 PM
If your mom hates the rat so much, who is paying for the neutering, and what if he bites your brother after he gets neutered?????? Did ya think about that at all??????

I'd rather take my pet to a stinky building, and have its life spared...than kill it. You wouldn't be responsible if it bit the new owner, so you can't worry about that. Is there only one Humane Society in the area?? Can't you take it to a different one??

which is why I want to get him neutered...

That might not solve the problem. Just because his testicles are missing doesn't mean he can't bite and act aggressive.

wolfsoul
03-18-2003, 11:26 PM
I'm paying for the surgery...
I'm not putting him down..
I only said that if I didn't fix him that I would be forced to put him down...
So I'm fixing him...
I asked for advice on neutering and statistics which I am seemingly not getting...
I know that fixing may not solve the problem, but my mother doesn't...

PS I also need info on diseases that may cause behavioural changes in rats...Frisco never used to be like this :( And he attacks for no reason that I can figure out
:confused:

Desert Arabian
03-18-2003, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
I asked for advice on neutering and statistics which I am seemingly not getting...

Wolfsoul, did you not see it? I gave you some advice, its right here:

I got Fred and Oscar neutered, and it cost $163. They still "beat" the $%&# out of each other, and they are still just as manly, even though their "bits" are missing, lol. . The reason why we got them neutered, is so they could live with the ladies- and not make any kids. They take out the testicles, and leave the scrotum. They do not suture it back up, it closes on its own. You should keep them in a cage with newspaper, and change the newspaper daily. Shredded newspaper, that is.

That is kind of informative.

wolfsoul
03-18-2003, 11:35 PM
I apoligize, I forgot about that lol.. :)
163 dollars? :eek: The cheapest I could find here was 65 dollars, so I guess I'm lucky lol..
The others were between 75 and 90 dollars, but I wouldn't take Frisco there because those were assumed prices from employees who guessed that they were the same cost as cats :eek:
Other places don't take rats or just laughed at me :( We don't have many rats around here lol..

tikeyas_mom
03-19-2003, 12:10 AM
omg Jord I am soo sorry about you mom she is such a cow. I think you should take your rat to the spca rather then put him down. Or give him to me. lol. I'll take him if you havwe a cage a crap. Then you could see him whenever you wanted. :D.. or if thats not an option put an add in the courier news it's free. Good luck :( dont put him down though.

wolf_Q
03-19-2003, 12:17 AM
I DO keep my brother away from my rat, but my brother also gets home an hour and a half before I do, where he is apparently free to go into my room even though he is not allowed GRRR LITTLE BROTHERS ARE PAINS!!!

Get a keyed lock for your door. Or some sort of lock for the cage. Your brother is probably the one making the rat mean..probably teasing the poor thing.

I hope you take him to be neutered, and it helps. And even if it doesnt help, please keep him, and just keep your brother away.

CathyBogart
03-19-2003, 12:30 AM
Have you gotten rat food for your rat yet? Also, if he's living alone that may be the source of his aggressive tendencies. Rats are very social and always do better in same-sex pairs. If he's by himself please get him a male friend so that he's not alone.

Neutering is, IMO, totally and completely worth every penny. Even if it doesn't alter his temperament it will extend his lifespan. My neutered boy did calm down quite a bit after the surgery, at least in my eyes. I didn't have anyone around to confirm it at the time, but he seemed much more mellow overall.

Here's a link to a recipe for a homemade rat diet if you still need it:

http://www.ratfanclub.org/diet.html

Or you can go to www.goosemoose.com/rfc and ask Suebee for her recipe, it's supposed to be easier to make.

tikeyas_mom
03-19-2003, 12:36 AM
she has two males. frisco is mean to the other male. I think your brother might be causing your rats temper and agression. how old is he? your brother?

CathyBogart
03-19-2003, 01:09 AM
Ah, a pair of boys is good...Sorry if I sounded irate about that.... ^_^

It is very possible that your brother is carusing his aggression. My girls are both very nasty if you put your hand near the bars of the cage while they are inside. Both were teased through the bars of the cage by an ex-coworker of mine before I brought them home. If I take them out they are playing and bruxing and perfect, but watch yourself while the cage is closed with them inside....

luckies4me
03-19-2003, 01:47 AM
Sometimes the best thing for an agressive rat is to have it put down, especially if it is NOT neutered. The best thing for the animal would be to put it to sleep, where it could at least die peacefully, the way they are meant to.

But first try neutering, although you do need to know the risks involved. The safest age for neaturing is around 2 weeks of age, after that the chance of bleeding to death etc. goes up. How old is the rat? Age in ratties is something you always need to consider before they are put under anesthesia.

Some rats are just agressive, or cage agressive as Wolfchan said. Since it sounds as if he was the only one growing up, that is why he does not like other rats. Do not buy a rat unless you are willing to get a friend of the same sex, it can literally drive them crazy from lack of socialization, and with you in school and without a friend, he is probably very lonely.

Before you get any animal you need to do your research. You diet is off, which also may be contributing to his mood swings. I would go to the RFC and ask for advise. Good luck!

wolfsoul
03-19-2003, 01:07 PM
The padlock idea is a good one, thanks wolf_q, I'll try that :)

I couldn't find any rat food :( And when I asked what it consists of before, no one answered me... :( But I just replaced last weeks food yesterday, so I will tell you what I put in their food box:
Rice cakes, muffets, bran, rice, swirly pasta, oatmeal, bread crusts, whole wheat crackers, unsweetened granola, dog buiscuts, and I also have a bag of seeds (with no corn or alfalfa) and I give them yogurt in the morning and they get veggies during the day and in the evening (yesterday I gave them half a baby carrot each, a tiny piece of brocolli and a tiny piece of green pepper (Icarus only likes the carrots though)) and I give them a piece of meat..yesterday they got smoked turkey :D lol

It is true about Frisco not liking Icarus :(...I thought when I was getting Icarus I was getting Frisco a friend...I waited the proper two weeks of quarantine, and introduced them on neutral ground with their scents covered and all the nessecary things that I read about...But Frisco didn't even give me a warning...no raised fur or anything, he just lunged...He ripped off all of the skin on Icarus's shoulder, and you could see his muscle and some bone :( They were making steady progress and would sleep together only beside the computer, when my mother ordered that they were not to be by the computer...So now they don't exactly like eachother..

Sometimes the best thing for an agressive rat is to have it put down, especially if it is NOT neutered. The best thing for the animal would be to put it to sleep, where it could at least die peacefully, the way they are meant to
I agree. If I gave Frisco up and he attacked someone, he would most likely be put down anyways :( But I am going to neuter him before I do anything else.

This was my ultimatem: Put down or neuter.

My brother is almost five. I don't think that he's mean to them, but he does drive ME crazy when he's around Frisco...When my mother isn't home, I let Frisco run around (Shhh don't tell ;)) and Dawson (my brother) follows him around the entire time! :eek:
I think that Frisco may be jealous of Icarus...He never ever had aggressive behaviour until the day Frisco and Icarus met :(

I hadn't even thought age, thanks for bringing it up Luckies4me...Frisco was a year old on February 28th... I guess this means bad chances? :(
Now I want to put up the pics of his birthday party *sigh*
Anyways, Luckies4me, I sent you a pm, but I hevn't checked to see if youv'e sent anything back, so I will look right now..
Thanks for everyones help, don't worry Jynnelle, I'm not going to put down Frisco :)

luckies4me
03-19-2003, 09:27 PM
If he is a year old that can very well be why he acting that way towards the other rat. It does sound as if neutering will help him. Keep us updated. :)

wolfsoul
03-20-2003, 07:41 PM
well when I got Icarus, Frisco was eight months...do they act that way at that age as well?