PDA

View Full Version : Air travel for cats - any advice?

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-18-2003, 09:22 AM
Ally may soon have to take her first flight in an airplane!I have bought her a "pet limo" travel cage - enough space to turn around, stretch etc - and it's airline approved.

She has all her shots, and all her paperwork is in place.

She wont be able to travel in the cabin (none of the airlines on my route allow this), so will be in the heated pressurised portion of the cargo hold. Total transit time will be around 18 hours - unfortunately there is no way to shorten this!

I am really nervous about this - she is my first Cat, so I have no previous experience.

I'd really appreciate any advice which will help make her journey more comfortable.

Thanks!:eek:

K & L
03-18-2003, 09:27 AM
http://townnews.atevo.com/resources/tipsadvice/item/0%2C3742%2C2602%2C00.html

emily_the_spoiled
03-18-2003, 10:35 AM
Good luck with the flight!! Please let us know how she did. I have been thinking about taking my cats with me the next time I fly home. But that flight is only about 8 hours, so it is not quite as bad as 18...

Edwina's Secretary
03-18-2003, 10:58 AM
Here's a recent thread about this....

Moving with Pets (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19760)

rosethecopycat
03-18-2003, 11:13 AM
I flew with my RB Milo once. He was in the cabin. It was pretty hard on him, sedated and all. But he did recover. I decided that the long car ride was easier on him, so our return was by car.

As far as the 'under the plane' thing goes, I was never confident with the airlines, that the temperature is maintained. I know that thousands of pets are transported that way, but none of them can tell you how it was. We have to take the word of airline employees.

I'd feel the temp of the carrier by hand and feel the cat right away.

I don't mean to scare you.

Why can't he fly in the cabin?

I'm sure he'll be fine.

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-19-2003, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the advice and the links - I'll check them out today!

None of the airlines which cover our route (Bahrain to Johannesburg via Dubai) will allow animals in the cabin.

I was perfectly willing to fly to Lonon and then Johannesburg, and also to pay full adult fare to have her on the seat next to me. Needless to say the ticket agent looked at me like I was bonkers, but still no dice - she has to travel as Cargo!

Why cant people understand that these are NOT animals, they are our incredibly furry babies!

I have also been advised the following, which seem like good ideas:

"Incontinance pads" in the bottom of the cage to absorb any mess quickly.

Secure a little "pet igloo" - you know the soft ones which look like a little covered bed - into the back of the cage, so she has somewhere to cuddle us and "hide". Needs to be secured to the carrier somehow so it doesn't turn around and get her trapped inside.

I am really in a state about this. I have decided to book her flight a couple of days before mine, so I can take her to the airport myself, without the added stress of all our baggage / kids / golfclubs etc. Then I can also follow her progress by phone from here. My mum will collect her on the other side (she has known my mom since she was a kitten, so that should be OK).

I am more anxious and worked up about this than about any other aspect of the move!

(We have also been experiencing a couple of food shortages here, so my husband decided to drive over into Saudi to get some provisions - he came back with a trunk full of cat food - LOL - and this from the man who "doesn't like the cat", but when he thinks I am out of earshot can be heard saying "come give Daddy a cuddle")

Thanks again for all the advice.:)

Soledad
03-19-2003, 01:36 AM
Oh my God!! I'm going to be doing the same thing with Boo in May. I am absolutely in a state about it as well. There are VERY few airlines that allow you to keep the pet on board.

Let me know how it goes (whenever it happens) so I can know some good tips for Boo. Our flight will be roughly the same length!