PDA

View Full Version : tortoise or not to tortoise?

tikeyas_mom
03-17-2003, 09:44 PM
I want a toroise. But not one that get bigger then me lol. any suggestions on a breed? Thanks

Desert Arabian
03-17-2003, 10:41 PM
Seems like you want every kind of animal.

:rolleyes:

Karen
03-17-2003, 10:50 PM
Most tortoises are small. The only giants are endangered and rare species like the Galapagos tortoises, which you cannot have as pets anyway. Do a search on http://PetoftheDay.com for tortoises that have been featured, and you will learn plenty. This is actually an easy way to learn about all sorts of pets and breeds.

wolf_Q
03-17-2003, 10:55 PM
Although there are some large tortoises, I highly doubt a large one would be available for you to buy.

I thought you said you weren't going to get any more pets?

tikeyas_mom
03-17-2003, 11:13 PM
I know I said no more pets but ahh i cant get enough ..

CathyBogart
03-17-2003, 11:28 PM
Tortioses are a BIG and EXPENSIVE commitment. Odds are a tortoise will outlive you, so they are DEFINITElY not a good impulse pet, especialyy if you are the kind of person for whom the "novelty" of having a pet wears off a few months after you get it.

If you are serious about getting a tortoise please stop by forum.kingsnake.com and look at their tortiose forum. There are a lot of very experienced people there. Ask one of them to walk you through a week in the life of a tortoise owner. Ask a lot of questions before you make a decision.

popcornbird
03-17-2003, 11:37 PM
If you couldn't afford a cockatiel, how are you going to afford a tortoise? I don't know the price for them, but I believe they are expensive and harder to care for than the typical dog/cat/bird/bunny................common pets.

tikeyas_mom
03-17-2003, 11:41 PM
I am not sure how mcuhh one would be to buy. I would get one from this place where I live they have tortoises and the lady owns about 4 of them. I would maybe ask her for one. I was just wondering about them. I am not the kinda person that gets bored of a pet by all means I love my pets and they are going in my will. I will look on that forum :) thanks alot guyz

kingrattus
03-17-2003, 11:56 PM
I don't have a tortoise but I do have a snapping turtle. I got very lucky with him, hes not a picky eater & I created the perfect diet for him. I find it really easy to care for him, but it is alot of work. Cleaning a turtle (shell) with 20 1 inch claws isn't as fun as it seems, its quite painful. & I have to drain his pond every 2 weeks at the most, & he eats alot of food. 1-2 mice every second week & as summer comes, he'll be eating 3-5 mice every 2 weeks. & every mouse costs $1.99+tax...

You need to think long & hard to see if u really want to care for a turtle for the rest of ur life & u'll have to put him/her in ur will.

If I'm lucky I will out live my turtle, their avg age in captivity is 50 yrs, so I'll be approx 70yrs old when he may pass on, & I'm ready for it... but he will be put in my will because I know there is a chance he may out live me.

tikeyas_mom
03-18-2003, 12:00 AM
hey kingrattus. I am just thinking about it, I wasnt going to jump into anything. I didnt know turtles eat mice. wow thats weired. I wonder if toroises eat mice? humm..l

Desert Arabian
03-18-2003, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
hey kingrattus. I am just thinking about it, I wasnt going to jump into anything. I didnt know turtles eat mice. wow thats weired. I wonder if toroises eat mice? humm..l

Snapping turtles eat almost anything that comes within their reach...such as my foot....yes, I got attacked and chomped on twice by a snapping turtle. By his size, my dad said he/she would be around 80 years old. It was huge, and made me pee in my pants and scream like a baby. :D

Um, NO..tortoises DO NOT eat meat, they eat fruits and veggies. Suprised you didn't know that, since you want to get a tortoise. How could you consider, or even think about getting an animal, without even knowing that much about it??

Yes...I'd like a Beluga Whale please...thanks!
Ok, that'll be $25,526.
Will a 10 gallon tank be ok?
I was planning on feeding it mushrooms and slugs, is that ok too?
Yup...it sure is.
Thanks!
Have a nice day!

kingrattus
03-18-2003, 10:02 AM
Like Yellow said, my turtle is a meat eater (but he does love veggys & fruit aswell, but his main diet is meat) & the one u want is a veggy/fruit eater only...

I have 1 thing to say to u.. Thank u for asking about the turtle first & not after u got him, because u & him/her could have been screwed... But if u still want to get one make sure u give it more space then the pet store tells u to. Or maybe u can get one from rescue, that might be best...

but u still need to think a while on it & learn sooo much more about them, cause if their harder to take care of then my snapper, then I wouldn't want one...

Yellow, r u sure it was a common snapping turtle? cause Aligator snappers get to approx 100yrs in the wild & in captivity... if my memory serves me right Commons in the wild live under 50 & in captivity avg out to 50 yrs... but I still don't care how long he'll live, he's going in my will...

... but I have a midterm to do so I gotta study, chat more about this later

wolf_Q
03-18-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover

Um, NO..tortoises DO NOT eat meat, they eat fruits and veggies. Suprised you didn't know that, since you want to get a tortoise. How could you consider, or even think about getting an animal, without even knowing that much about it??

GREAT post YLL, I completely agree.

luckies4me
03-18-2003, 12:37 PM
Actually a lot of tortoises eat meat, sulcatas and my turtle Lucky eats meat all the time...well not all the time but probably about once a week. A lot of tortoises also LOVE crickets!

Lucy doesn't eat crickets but she does get some ground beef/chicken tenders once in a while, as well as Innova dog food, fresh fruits and veggies, grass, hay, flowers, cactus, etc.

They do have very specific dietary requirements and are a long time commitment. I have had Lucy for 7 years, and she is about 40 years already. I am not sure how long she will live but she's pretty healthy now so I am keeping my fingers crossed. :)

They need either an artificial or natural sunlight, a Vitamin D supplement as most of the time Vitamin D is lacking in the diet, and can lead to brittle bones etc. A calcium supplement is also a good idea. They need regular soaks, as it helps them digest food and keep them hydrated. Lucy gets a soak once a week in the summer as she has the heat from outside to help her digest her food...actualy Lucy is a he so I need to stop calling him a she lol.

They need to be dewormed every few months, and parasites CAN kill them. You need to keep their shells clean,, as well as take care of their skin. There is reptile oil on the market which is good for keeping their shells and skin in good condition.

tikeyas_mom
03-18-2003, 12:52 PM
thanks luckies4me that was a helpful post about the turkey slices. :) I posed here about tortoises because I was thinking about getting one and I wanted to know about them. I would NEVER acctully get one without knowing EVERYTHING!!! trust me.. but thatnks for be a bit worried becsause I would have done the same thing if I never new the whole story :) .

kingrattus
03-18-2003, 01:38 PM
lucky: They need to be dewormed every few months, and parasites CAN kill them
------------------------
do u know if that goes for all turtles??? because thats something I never heard of... do u know where I can find out, cause I've had Axle for almost 3 yrs now & he's never been dewormed or anything... I might make a vet appointment for him if he needs to be dewormed or needs soime form of vacctionation... I've never even thought of all this for a turtle before... thanks for bringing it up... & please post back asap I really want to know ur answer

tikeyas_mom
03-18-2003, 03:08 PM
yes good point I would like to know to .

Desert Arabian
03-18-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by kingrattus
Yellow, r u sure it was a common snapping turtle? cause Aligator snappers get to approx 100yrs in the wild & in captivity... if my memory serves me right Commons in the wild live under 50 & in captivity avg out to 50 yrs... but I still don't care how long he'll live, he's going in my will...

... but I have a midterm to do so I gotta study, chat more about this later

Yuppers, I am 100% positive it was a common. We don't have alligators in Wisconsin. My dad pulled it out of the water to have a look, it looked like this: (of course we put it back in the water).

http://www.nps.gov/wica/images/Snapping%20Turtle.jpg

Come to think about it, the turtle was about that size too. Its shell was completely covered in moss. Ok, so maybe it wasn't 80- but it had to be pretty old, it was huge.

Thanks, Wolf_Q! :)

kingrattus
03-18-2003, 11:14 PM
The best way to tell its age is by its weight, after its a couple of years old, for every pound it weighs is its age. Doesn't count for the ones in captivity, they get a much better diet & therefor grow much quicker.

& yeppers thats a common snapper alright :) looks like a dirty version of Axle... heheh

tikeyas_mom
03-18-2003, 11:49 PM
I called the petstore and they said they arnt getting any turtles intull early august and that they are $50.00 each :)

kingrattus
03-18-2003, 11:57 PM
thats alot of money, I think their cheaper out here

tikeyas_mom
03-19-2003, 12:14 AM
the turtles I called about are not tortoises they are just common lil swimming turtles that live in the water most of their lives. they only grow about the size of you palm.

CathyBogart
03-19-2003, 12:20 AM
I called the petstore and they said they arnt getting any turtles intull early august and that they are $50.00 each :)

Turtles? Isn't this thread about tortoises?

What kind of turts/torts are thay getting? $50 is a remarkably good price for something that is captive bred. Make sure they aren't wild caught or farm raised animals.

shais_mom
03-19-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by wolf_Q

I agree with YLL and Amy.
Good thing we aren't flies or crickets. We would probably be made into pets :rolleyes: or pet food

tikeyas_mom
03-19-2003, 12:33 AM
I will ask and make sure. I Want a tortoise more then a common turtle becuase they dont need to be in water constantly. There is a place where i live it is a plant store and the lady that owns it owns 3 tortoises and they are a fair sise. She has them at the store all the time in this pond thing. I love them sooo muach. I am gunna ask if I can buy one of her torts off of her for 100$, I asked if I could have one last year and she said no because she was to attached to them. but I hope she'll reconsider. I love thoughs tortoises. I wouldonly buy 1 she could keep the other 2. That sounds fair hey? but if she says no again I do understand because I probibly wouldent want to sell it once I got attached, then I'll buy a common turtle or I just wont but a reptile. :cool:

wolf_Q
03-19-2003, 12:38 AM
There is a place where i live it is a plant store and the lady that owns it owns 3 tortoises and they are a fair sise. She has them at the store all the time in this pond thing. I love them sooo muach. I am gunna ask if I can buy one of her torts off of her for 100$, I asked if I could have one last year and she said no because she was to attached to them. but I hope she'll reconsider. I love thoughs tortoises. I wouldonly buy 1 she could keep the other 2. That sounds fair hey?

Ok, I have 3 dogs, if somebody asked me to sell them one and I'll still keep 2, that's fair right? Because there's still two? Even though they are *all* my beloved pets and I wouldn't sell *any* of them?

If the lady loves her tortoises, let her keep them....they'd be much better off with her anyway...

kingrattus
03-19-2003, 12:39 AM
$50us is like $70can here thats insane!!! the avg turtle here is about $10 & their captive bread. But that was when u were able to buy tutles (2 1/2 yrs ago), now their illigal to sell/buy.

tikeyas_mom
03-19-2003, 12:48 AM
I know what you mean. they are illegal here as well. But why do ppl still have them? I dont know.

As for her keeping her turtles. I think it is very fair if she turns down my offer then I'll leave it @ that.

CathyBogart
03-19-2003, 01:00 AM
Turtles are illegal in Canada?!?!?! WHY?! That's so sad.

What about other reptiles? They're okay right? *alarmed*

Erm....and there are plenty of land turtles as well, just FYI. :)

shais_mom
03-19-2003, 01:42 AM
I know what you mean. they are illegal here as well. But why do ppl still have them? I dont know.

As for her keeping her turtles. I think it is very fair if she turns down my offer then I'll leave it @ that.

What part of this aren't you getting??
You are asking someone to SELL THEIR PETS???
If this is the regard/respect you have for people you don't deserve a pet.
Where in the world makes you think it is OK for you to ask her to buy her tortiouses AGAIN when she said she was already attached to them??
Not getting it at all.
WHAT would YOU do if someone came up to you and said Nice Dog Buy it for $100.00??
Mike and Molly have 20 dogs are you going to ask them to buy one of theirs b/c "it is fair they have 19 more?"
Shows your maturity level.

popcornbird
03-19-2003, 01:46 AM

If someone came to me and asked if they could buy one of my birds, they would never hear the end of it. I believe no one has the right to ask someone if they can buy their PET, just because someone else likes them. :rolleyes: That is SO hurtful. That's almost like someone coming to you and asking if they can buy your brother. Her pets are her family, and you DO NOT go and ask if you can buy them. How would you feel if someone asked if they could buy your Tikeya or Cheeko? That question is just inflamatory itself. If someone asked me that, I would never have ANYTHING to do with them again.

CathyBogart
03-19-2003, 01:55 AM
I've had offers on my bearded dragon, Alielle. I'm always flattered, and I take it to mean that I raised her well. Some of the offers were really surprising too. Not bad for a runt I got at a major discount, eh?

http://www.ophiophobia.net/~wolfchan/images/dragon/alielle16.jpg
http://www.ophiophobia.net/~wolfchan/images/dragon/alielle17.jpg

Tell me she's not beautiful!

luckies4me
03-19-2003, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by kingrattus
lucky: They need to be dewormed every few months, and parasites CAN kill them
------------------------
do u know if that goes for all turtles??? because thats something I never heard of... do u know where I can find out, cause I've had Axle for almost 3 yrs now & he's never been dewormed or anything... I might make a vet appointment for him if he needs to be dewormed or needs soime form of vacctionation... I've never even thought of all this for a turtle before... thanks for bringing it up... & please post back asap I really want to know ur answer

I'm not sure about turtles, as I have never personally owned a turtle, I have only had tortoises. Since I have an endagered species with a permit, I HAVE to take him in every year for a complete physical exam and deworming. I am not sure what the parasites are though. I know you can go to Kingsnake.com and they have a tortoise section....they should be able to let you know. I know one parasite and that is "sacharids" or something like that. They can also get these freaky worms that live in the heart, but not heart worms. They also invade the lungs as well. I wish I knew exactly what they were called but I don't. I'm sure you could find out though. If you are worried just call your vet and they should let you know. :)

tikeyas_mom
03-19-2003, 11:02 AM
WHAT would YOU do if someone came up to you and said Nice Dog Buy it for $100.00??

actully lol someone came up to me and asked if I wanted to sell Tikeya my siberian husky so $1000.00 yuppers 1 thousand dollers. I said no. I was quite flattered actully. I think it it great that someone would be willing to pay that much for my sib they thought she was so perfect. And she is and shess ALLL mine.

I asked a store klerck if the tortoises were for sale then the lady said She didnt quite no if the manager would be willing to sell them. She said I'l have to talk to her my self. :)

RockyRoad
03-19-2003, 11:23 AM
Tikeya, you have a lot of pets. Why do you keep wanting more? First you wanted a bunny. You got it. Then you wanted another bird, then more hamsters, then rats, mice, and now a tortise?! Why don't you enjoy the pets you have instead of getting more and more? :rolleyes:

I want a bird. Well, let me just ask you if you want to sell Cheeko to me. You'll still have your other pets, so that's fair, right?:rolleyes:

That is all I will say, I'll get off my soapbox now.

BTW~ Wolfchan, Alielle is beautiful! :)

tikeyas_mom
03-19-2003, 11:43 AM
I would be rather flattered if anyone asked to buy any of my pets.

I wouldent sell them to them but I sure would feel flattered.

I had a bunny it died.

I have 4 hamsters I am not getting ne more ... I said in previouse posts No rats or mice or whatever eles.

I said I am keeping the runt. :)

I aslo have wanted a tortoise for a long time and so has my mom. whats so bad about me having pets.

:???:

I dont see anything wroge with it? If someone loves and takes care of the animal and does lotsa research about that aniaml then there is no harm :)

shais_mom
03-19-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by FloppsyLadySally89

Tikeya, you have a lot of pets. Why do you keep wanting more? First you wanted a bunny. You got it. Then you wanted another bird, then more hamsters, then rats, mice, and now a tortise?! Why don't you enjoy the pets you have instead of getting more and more? :rolleyes:

I want a bird. Well, let me just ask you if you want to sell Cheeko to me. You'll still have your other pets, so that's fair, right?:rolleyes:

That is all I will say, I'll get off my soapbox now.

BTW~ Wolfchan, Alielle is beautiful! :)

Very true and Very insightful Britt. You HAVE learned a lot since coming here. I am proud of you!! (altho I DIDN'T do anything to help you! ;)

So someone asked you to buy Tikeya, and you said no. So YOU were in the same position that this lady is in?
Am I correct in understanding you want to buy them from a PetStore? Is this person the owner of a PetStore? Well, I understand that she SHOULD sell them. But if this is a private person, which you made it sound like, than you have no right to ask for her pets.
Just trying to understand.

tikeyas_mom
03-19-2003, 12:19 PM
they own a plant store

popcornbird
03-19-2003, 02:38 PM
If they own a plant store then those are HER pets. You don't ask to buy them. :rolleyes:

RockyRoad
03-19-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by shais_mom

Very true and Very insightful Britt. You HAVE learned a lot since coming here. I am proud of you!! (altho I DIDN'T do anything to help you! ;)

Thanks! :)

Desert Arabian
03-19-2003, 03:03 PM
What part of this aren't you getting??
You are asking someone to SELL THEIR PETS???
If this is the regard/respect you have for people you don't deserve a pet.
Where in the world makes you think it is OK for you to ask her to buy her tortiouses AGAIN when she said she was already attached to them??
Not getting it at all.
Mike and Molly have 20 dogs are you going to ask them to buy one of theirs b/c "it is fair they have 19 more?"
Shows your maturity level.

AMEN! AMEN! AMEN! AMEN! AMEN! AMEN! AMEN! AMEN! AMEN!
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/aktion/action-smiley-033.gifhttp://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/aktion/action-smiley-033.gifhttp://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/aktion/action-smiley-033.gif

Desert Arabian
03-19-2003, 03:33 PM
I will ask and make sure. I Want a tortoise more then a common turtle becuase they dont need to be in water constantly. There is a place where i live it is a plant store and the lady that owns it owns 3 tortoises and they are a fair sise. She has them at the store all the time in this pond thing. I love them sooo muach. I am gunna ask if I can buy one of her torts off of her for 100$, I asked if I could have one last year and she said no because she was to attached to them. but I hope she'll reconsider. I love thoughs tortoises. I wouldonly buy 1 she could keep the other 2. That sounds fair hey? but if she says no again I do understand because I probibly wouldent want to sell it once I got attached, then I'll buy a common turtle or I just wont but a reptile. :cool:

Wait a second, before you even attempt to ask this lady to buy her tortoise (which is extremely stupid), aren't you going to hit the internet and books and do a month or more of research?? You can't plan the buying, before you do the research.

but if she says no again I do understand because I probibly wouldent want to sell it once I got attached, then I'll buy a common turtle or I just wont but a reptile. :cool:

Or...how about don't get anymore pets at all. That is a wonderful idea... I like that one the best!

CathyBogart
03-19-2003, 06:09 PM
Thanks YellowLabLover

I would definitely recommend at least a month or two of research. Have you gone to the kingsnake forums like I recommended? They can give you the pros and cons of tortoises and walk you through a day/week/month/year in the life of a tortoise owner.

Also, what kind of turtle is this "Common water turtle" you mention? I know of no aquatic turtles that stay palm sized, and the only inexpensive aquatic turtles I see are Red-Eared Sliders.

Please please PLEASE wait awhile and do a lot of homework before you decide to do this.

tikeyas_mom
03-19-2003, 06:19 PM
I would never buy any pet without knowing every single little detail about them and there species and breed. I wont be getting one or even attempting to get one with out knowing every single detail...I wont be getting it till augest anyhow. That is like 4 months away 4 months of research . Who would buy a pet without knowing everything about the species?. Not me

CathyBogart
03-19-2003, 06:26 PM
You still didn't answer my question. :P

What kind of turtle is it!?!?!?!

Jessica12345
03-19-2003, 06:29 PM
I would never buy any pet without knowing every single little detail about them and there species and breed. I wont be getting one or even attempting to get one with out knowing every single detail...I wont be getting it till augest anyhow. That is like 4 months away 4 months of research . Who would buy a pet without knowing everything about the species?. Not me

You didnt know everything about cockatiels when you bought cheeko:rolleyes:

but im glad you learned your lesson!:)

tikeyas_mom
03-19-2003, 06:41 PM
You didnt know everything about cockatiels when you bought cheeko

I didnt "BUY" Cheeko, my mom got him from a gurl who didnt want him anylonger due to him being to noisy. :mad: Donbt get on my case about that, it doesnt have ANYTHING to do with tortoises.

:mad:

<You still didn't answer my question. :P

What kind of turtle is it!?!?!?!> by wolfchan..

I just know it is a tortoise I dont know what breed it is. I havent seen them for almost a year because they lady has the store closed uring the fall and winter.

And if you are talking about the turtles at um the pet store "I have no clue what type they are" the owner doesnt either he just said he'll know when he gets them shipped in, in August .. :)

Jessica12345
03-19-2003, 06:57 PM

I didnt "BUY" Cheeko, my mom got him from a gurl who didnt want him anylonger due to him being to noisy. :mad: Donbt get on my case about that, it doesnt have ANYTHING to do with tortoises.

sorry!:rolleyes: And even after you *got* him.. you didnt do much research.

and LIKE I SAID.... im glad you are checking now.

but forget it. I didnt mean to get you mad or start a fight.

tikeyas_mom
03-19-2003, 07:03 PM
I am glade i have done research now as well. I am sorry I got mad I just get very touchy about ppl not thinking I take good care of my pets. .. . Cheeko wasnt MY bird anyways he was my moms . My mom was the one that didnt do any research. I was only like 11 years old when we got him. I was still a young child. but I am getting your point. We didnt have ther internet by the way intill lats year so we were kinda bloacked off from viewing any helpful sites. We did have 1 library that had some stuff but I dont trust books because I own 4 hamsters and I know ALOT about them, most books on hamsters say it is alright to house more then one hamster syrian together, they also say it is ok you have whire wheels, when it isnt.

CathyBogart
03-19-2003, 07:07 PM
I know what you mean about books, I can't tell you how many I've seen that recommend pine or cedar shavings for rats. It disgusts me. :mad:

tikeyas_mom
03-19-2003, 07:15 PM
I am soo glade you notest that. ALL hamster book say pine cedar bedding for hamsters to. it is horrid. I dont think i have seen one book that has said Use Aspen or carefresh bedding.. :rolleyes: