PDA

View Full Version : Health problem for kitties, please read.

rg_girlca
03-17-2003, 08:30 PM
I saw this article in Woman's world that I thought I should share with you in regards to clumping litter.

Experts caution that using litter that clumps could be harming your cat's and your own health!
Scoopable litter clumps because of a substance called sodium bentonite, which acts like an expandable cement, swelling to 15 times its size when it gets wet, explains Minnesota toxicologist Carl Hornfeldt, Ph.D. Cats often lick themselves after using the litter box, ingesting litter dust. Inside them, it expands, gradually causing respiratory and digestive problems. In fact, a study at the Hennepin Center for Poison Control in Minnesota shows that not only can cats be slowly poisoned, but so can humans who regularly breathe in the dust!

Your stay-safe solution: Most veterinarians say the old-fashioned kind is safer and cheaper for all cats.

Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Your opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.

boscibo
03-17-2003, 09:01 PM
Here is an article (http://www.lisaviolet.com/cathouse/litter.html) I read not too long ago. I only use clumping litter in one of my four boxes, so I am not going to worry just yet.

03-18-2003, 08:27 AM
Oh my !! We have that type of litter in all 3 boxes...!
Should I change now??? It is so easy to scoop out the" poop"... , and that is a good thing for someone with a bad back like me ...:confused:
What do the others think here?

jenluckenbach
03-18-2003, 02:51 PM
Since I am not one to panic right away I will say that I have probably used clumping litter for at least 15 years and have not seen any health related problems associated with it. But that is one person's experience.

jenluckenbach
03-18-2003, 02:53 PM
p.s. I have heard that it is better to NOT use it for the younger kittens though, as they tend to get themselves wet at times (you know, playing in water etc) and you wouldn't want it sticking to your little kitten.

Russian Blue
03-18-2003, 03:04 PM
When I picked Nakita up, the breeder requested I do not use clumping cat litter till she was a year old. Since kittens sometimes like to play in the litter and get use to it, they may ingest some which is not healthy.

For most cats it is fine. If you do a google search on the internet you will fine other articles stating the problems of ingestion of the litter.

BastetsMum
03-19-2003, 05:11 AM
I was told also not to use clumping litter for a year with Bastet until she was old enough not to directly *sit* when doing her business.

I use it now and I have seen no negative effects.

smokey the elder
03-23-2003, 07:39 AM
I have used clumping litter for 12 years for my adult cats and have never had one problem. I do not use it for my kittens that I foster until they've been spayed, and I recommend to the new families that they do the same when they adopt a kitten. I think the risk is overblown. JMHO.