PDA

View Full Version : I'm joining a gym tomorrow..

Nomilynn
03-17-2003, 07:54 PM
Tomorrow I have an appoinment to join "Curves." I talked to my doctor about it and he said it was a good choice for me. Does anyone else belong to this gym? I gained 9lbs in the past year, on top of all the weight I gained right after my grandma died. I really need encouragement not to quit! I HATE exercising but I really feel like I'm unhealthy and I'm always tired.

Anyway, I might do my first full workout tomorrow too. I'll let you know how "painful" it is LOL :D :D

babolaypo65
03-17-2003, 08:13 PM
congrats.
i know you know this but go easy the first week. you have the best chance of succeeding at developing a gym "habit" if you dont do too much the first week.

try books on tape at the gym (on the walkman). they get me going at least four days a week!

lovemyshiba
03-17-2003, 08:33 PM
good for you!!!

I never have the discipline to stick with the gym. Be careful on your first day--last year I joined and went with a friend of mine who had been going--I had to take a week off after the first day, because I was in so much pain:rolleyes:

popcornbird
03-17-2003, 08:54 PM
I'm exercising a lot these days too. Its better to lose weight and be healthy at a young age because it gets difficult once the teen years and early 20's are gone. Its so hard now, I can't imagine how hard it will be when I'm older! :eek: I don't go to the gym though. I feel much more comfortable doing it at home. We have a treadmill, and an exercise bike, and also a weight lifting bench, dumbells, an exercise ball, and these stretching rope things (don't know what they are called) but they help in tightening the muscles. I have pretty much a mini gym at home. :D My mom's been exercising vigorously because of doctor's orders for the past 2 months. So far she lost 12 pounds by working out for 1 1/2 hour everyday on the treadmill. I'm still lagging behind. Its hard with school, but I'm trying. I did lose 5 pounds, so its a good start. Good luck and wish me and us all luck too! :D

slleipnir
03-17-2003, 10:34 PM
I don't belong to that gym, but I do go. I use to go last year, but it didn't last long, I REALLY hated it. I've been at it this time for like 2 weeks so far (not a lot, I know :rolleyes: ) but I'm liking it this time. The ppl there are really nice and make up a thing of what you have to do to get results you want...I probably didn't like it when I did it before because all I did was the bike and such..but I'm doing diff stuff this time for about an hour each time..the time flys by actually lol.

I hope it goes well for you, I'm sure it will :]

wolfsoul
03-17-2003, 11:24 PM
I've been to the gym once in my life lol...:rolleyes: I would like to go, but it would be alot better on my conscience if it was free :p I wish I could lose some wieght :( My aunt whos visiting from Langley told me how skinny I am compared to last year, but I'm only taller :rolleyes: I just want abs! :o lol

NoahsMommy
03-17-2003, 11:28 PM
That's wonderful!!! You'll feel so great after your workouts. Here's a tip: It takes two weeks to start a new habit. Hopefully after two weeks, your body will WANT to go. :)

I need to start my yoga again. I love it! :)

neko1
03-18-2003, 05:56 AM
I've heard nothing but good things about Curves. I've just started doing Pilates and man, my abs are killing me!!

Rachel
03-18-2003, 07:44 AM
*Good on you!* (I love that Aussie saying.)

All I know about Curves is that they seem to be opening up everywhere and that must mean that they are doing a good business and that must mean that they have found a program that people like. I too am an exercise at home person, but if you have the determination to go to a gym, having a knowledgable person there to advise you will be a real benefit. Don't be looking to lose weight straight off though, in fact initially you may even gain some...you know...muscles weigh more than fat. But if you stick to it and watch what you eat, you will see results. (That watching what you eat is the tough part).

anna_66
03-18-2003, 08:39 AM
I love going, but unfortunately have noone to go with:(

Good Luck, and like everyone said, take it easy at first;)

Ann
03-18-2003, 09:08 AM
Good luck to you! I would like to do something like that, but just like Anna I have no one to go with :( I have an old exercise bike though and I bike 10 km on it every other night... I need to keep losing weight unless I want health problems again >_<

Edwina's Secretary
03-18-2003, 09:37 AM
I go every day except Friday to Jazzercise at a local public gym. I had no one to go with but I have made terrific friends in the class and it makes it so much fun. It has become such a habit I get edgy about NOT going!

Have Fun!

HayleyRosie
03-18-2003, 10:43 AM
Naomi there is a Curves gym in our area and I have been meaning to join. Too bad we couldn't go together. I guess us living on oposite ends of Canada would pose a problem!

03-18-2003, 12:12 PM
I envy you, Naomi!!! My doctor says (orders!! demands!!) I have to get rid of at least 22 pounds. I am trying really hard by following WeightWatchers' instructions. But as I am getting older, it just doesn't work that easy anymore:( :( ! I'd love to go to an exercise club like you, but I'm forbidden to do any exercise but cycling...!:mad: Success, Naomi!!

Dakota's Mommy
03-18-2003, 03:12 PM
Congrats and way to go! Brian and I were just talking about me possibly joining a gym or at least going to a gym while he is gone because I'm afraid of being lazy while he's gone and gaining weight. Of course, with my 3 girls, I highly doubt that I'm going to have any time to be lazy, we'll just have to see.

Anyways, I'm proud of you for taking those steps. Keep us informed and we will keep you in a mind set to keep going!

Nomilynn
03-18-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by HayleyRosie
Naomi there is a Curves gym in our area and I have been meaning to join. Too bad we couldn't go together. I guess us living on oposite ends of Canada would pose a problem!

Sadly, it would!!

It was a really neat place. I was suprised at how little there was in the building.. very few machines. Also, the range of people there was really cool - there was one person there who looked younger than me, and there was a lady who was I guess in her late forties joining at the same time I was. It was also REALLY cold in there - they have very good air conditioning :) I wasn't exercising yet so I was just sitting still :) On Thurs I go in for measurments, wieghing, and a body fat reading (that will be the disheartening part!!!) and my first full work out. It's only half an hour, three times a week, which is nice because it won't take up a whole bunch of time.

I also have no one to go with, but because of how this particular progam works, it doesn't really matter. It's all individual and you couldn't really work out WITH someone anyway. Also, the trainers are so nice and friendly it's like I've made a friend just by walking in :)

These posts are helping me keep pumped up - thanks everyone!!

slick
03-18-2003, 03:52 PM
I've been watching the Curves ads on TV and have been meaning to call...but...procrastination.....

As you probably noticed, I need to lose at least 50 lbs. Since turning 49 and starting the "change" I've put on a lot of weight in the last year.

I used to be a regular Jazzerciser but around here now the classes don't start any later than 6pm. I usually don't leave work until 6 or 7 so what good does that do. I have a workout room and swimming pool in my condo so I try to get at least 4 swims a week if I can.

Want to now more. PM me with costs if you feel comfortable doing that. You've just inspired me....as you've done before :D

Good luck!!

Cataholic
03-18-2003, 03:53 PM
Yippee! A gym goer...I think you will like it. I rarely go with anyone, sometimes Lillycat, when I can drag her along. But, I like going by myself (No, mom, I am not saying I don't like it when you go...) cause it is all about me!! So, congrats. There is something to be said for that Nike commercial, "Just do it!".

Nomilynn
03-20-2003, 09:12 PM
Whew!!! Just got back from my first workout and I feel like jello!!! It must be working!!

Slick - this week they are doing a promotional thing where the join-up fee is waived if you bring in a bag of groceries. I think it is at most Canadian locations. That is $200 bux off!!! :eek: And then it's only $40 per month after that for a year :)

It's great fun! :) But don't go if you are really tired hehe :D

Barbara
03-21-2003, 04:55 AM
I am going to dance classes (twice a week) for ten years now. I did nothing before because I thought, gym was boring. I had to start with some gym however because neither the coordination nor the fitness you have is enough for dancing.

I remember how hard the first weeks were. I always was exhausted. Now I have seen so many girls joining our group and giving up after the first time or the first 2 times. They miss a lot of fun.

So start slowly but stick to it. You will love it:)

BTW: Losing weight does not all come from the gym. Muscles can be heavier than fat. But the shape of the body is better and it is fun to see what your body can do.