PDA

View Full Version : Claw question

2kitties
03-17-2003, 10:25 AM
I'm just wondering, do the cat's shed their claws? I was clipping Rocky's yesterday and noticed that there were "shards" on the underneath of them. I don't know how else to describe it.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

03-17-2003, 10:33 AM
Im not sure I understand you correctly. Well, about my cats' claws: I regularly find "old" claws on or near the scratch posts! it is normal for cats, as they renew their claws !

HayleyRosie
03-17-2003, 10:45 AM
I also find "shells" from Hayley's claws on her scratching post.

2kitties
03-17-2003, 10:46 AM
That's what I thought. I just noticed that it was almost as if his claws were peeling. Sort of the way my fingernails do.

Do you think that is probably normal or is there some nutrient he isn't getting. His bloodwork was fine last vet visit- 3 months ago.

I worry too much.:rolleyes:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-17-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by 2kitties
That's what I thought. I just noticed that it was almost as if his claws were peeling. Sort of the way my fingernails do.

I'm not really sure, but I would say it's normal. Every now and then I'll find one of Tubby's claws (don't know what Peanut does with hers) and it looks kind of "shardy" too. I've never really analyzed his nails, but it seems they get kind of old and cracky, then he sheds them. And no, I haven't kept the ones I've found, have you Lut? ;) :D