PDA

View Full Version : My old cat

Blackjack
03-17-2003, 09:37 AM
My cat is getting old and he has lost teeth and his one ear is getting dirty all the time. I'm not gonna take him to the vet since we put in alot of money in him. So what can i do myself to make his teeth better and should I just keep on cleaning his ear like I have been???

Anakins mom
03-17-2003, 09:50 AM
I know that you don't want to go to the vet. But I would take your senior cat in to make sure he isn't suffering from gum disease and an ear infection or ear mites. Both can cause alot of pain and discomfort.

He should be able to eat a good quality soft canned food or a good quality soaked dry. But if his gums are in pain he might refuse food and you would risk him losing weight. Senior animals often have a hard time regaining weight once lost...so keep an eye on him. He should also be checked for diabetes and thyroid problems.

Russian Blue
03-17-2003, 10:57 AM
I'm really sorry to hear that you refuse to take your cat to the vet.

I think if he already has lost some teeth it would mean dental problems or some other dental related issue. As Anakin's Mom mentioned, he may soon refuse to eat because of the pain or discomfort. I don't think brushing his teeth will help at this point since gum disease happens over a long period of time. Plus, the ear condition could be a number of things which should not be evaluated by us online. Your cat really needs to see a vet.

If your not going to take a cat to the vet when he is in need of medical guidance please don't consider taking on another animal into your household. It's really not fair to the animal to be cut off at such an age, because so many medical conditions are age related and should be looked after.

Would you consider looking for a low cost vet clinic in your area?

jenluckenbach
03-17-2003, 11:36 AM
I find it unfortunate that your beloved pet, who gave you the best years of his life, is not worth a vet visit in his senior years. Senior pets almost always need more medical attention than young animals do (people too, for that matter). Didn't you consider this when you got him in the first place? Problems like the ones you mentioned (ear and teeth) do not go away on their own. They will only cause more pain and suffering as the days turn into weeks. Reconsider taking the cat to the vet or find someone else who will care for him properly.

slick
03-17-2003, 03:23 PM
Why won't you take him to the vet?? It just doesn't make sense!! Just because he's old doesn't mean he has to suffer and not get medical attention!!:mad: Do you just not care about him????

When the teeth start to go it can cause an infection that can get into the kitty's blood stream and cause all kinds of problems. It can affect the kidneys and other vital organs. Why would you not care enough to take him???

Forgive me for sounding harsh to a newcomer. Have you had the kitty all his life?? If money is an issue then perhaps you can find a organization in your area that can help you?? Or maybe your vet will let you pay off the bill in installments? There are other options.

Rocky'smomma
03-17-2003, 03:49 PM
Take him to see the vet...I just don't understand why you wouldn't want a professional to look at him just because he is old....Please do the right thing hon...have a professional check him out.. :)

catlady1945
03-18-2003, 02:01 PM
Pet care can be very expensive. I have spent nearly $1000.00 on my 19 yr. old cat in the past year. She has hyper-thyroidism but otherwise she is very healthy. I went to the vet two weeks ago for her shots, blood test, and medication and the bill came to over $200.00. Sometimes, the financial aspect of elderly animals can be a problem.

krazyaboutkatz
03-19-2003, 12:37 AM
Please reconsider and take your cat to the vet. I feel that this is the only way to provide the proper treatment for an older cat. I know that you said that you took him to the vet a few months ago, this is in another thread in cat health, but he may need some other kind of treatment now. Like I said before, please please take him back to the vet.

moosmom
03-19-2003, 09:44 AM
If your not going to take a cat to the vet when he is in need of medical guidance please don't consider taking on another animal into your household. It's really not fair to the animal to be cut off at such an age, because so many medical conditions are age related and should be looked after.

What Russian Blue said!!