PDA

View Full Version : who here clips their cats claws?

Rocky'smomma
03-17-2003, 08:56 AM
or do you just let the vet do it? I myself have never attempted to do it, and the vet has recommended for me not to...just wondering if I am the only one here who just lets the vet do it..?

Cathy5
03-17-2003, 09:10 AM
I'm like you. I just can't bring myself to do it even though I've been shown how to do it. I get the vet to do it and he doesn't mind or question me about it.

Anakins mom
03-17-2003, 09:41 AM
I clip all of my cats claws...usually just the front need it. I am seriously thinking of trying the 'soft claws' though.

Cathy5
03-17-2003, 09:45 AM
How do those soft claws work? Do you buy them at cat supply stores? I wonder if cats are bothered by them.

03-17-2003, 09:49 AM
I do it! Isn't easy though...:rolleyes: ! Little Inka hates it, so she always thanks me with a series of new scratches on my hands:eek: :eek: :eek:

sasvermont
03-17-2003, 10:18 AM
Well, my guys were so tame that when it came to nail clipping, it was easy. The best time to do it is when they are sitting in the sun, relaxing. Miley is a bit more difficult than Graemer was.....but even so, I do the front and the back. It is the back claws that do such scratching on the cabinets and wood fronts to desks etc. Just grab the little devil in a death grip and start clipping. The more often you clip the easier it is on everyone!

Clipping is not an art, it is a science! Ask your vet or groomer to show you how to do it if you are afraid.

Sas:)

HayleyRosie
03-17-2003, 10:36 AM
I clip Hayley and Mandy's claws myself. I find that I needed to clip Hayley's claws very often when she was younger. Now it seems like I can go longer before clipping time. Hopefully Mandy will be the same. I got a friend to show me how to do it before I tried myself.

Russian Blue
03-17-2003, 10:47 AM
I have always clipped them on my own. I'm really lucky with Nakita, she actually purrs when I cut them. I think when you start training a cat early on (by handling their paws, massaging them etc) they will be more easily accepting of the clippers.

I also clipped the nails of the cat I had with my family. This was harder since this Siamese didn't want them cut. It took two people to cut them - I would hold her while my mother would cut the nails.

Actually, I've never known anyone who took their cat to the vet to clip the nails till I came on the internet and read stories like yours.

;)

Ally Cat's Mommy
03-17-2003, 10:53 AM
I clip my cat's claws myself. I was a bit scared at first, as she is my first cat, but now we have both got used to it, it goes pretty well.
Here are a couple of things which may help:

TIP 1: If your cat is still quite young, then wait until she is lying on your lap and you are both relaxed, then gently "massage" her paws so her claws "slip out". I knew I wouldn't have time to get Ally to the vet for clipping, so when she was still small I started doing this - so now she associates the feeling with a cuddly / relaxing time in front of the TV. and not only with clipping.....

TIP 2: I tried the proper claw clippers, but I found them difficult to manage. I use a pair of normal (human)nail clippers, and only take off the very tip, so they don't split or anything.

2kitties
03-17-2003, 11:35 AM
I let the vet show me how, and now I'm doing it myself. Rocky doesn't mind, but its always a showdown with Taz.

jenluckenbach
03-17-2003, 01:58 PM
I clip my own. (but then again, I do it for a living, I darn well better now how...hee hee) And I still have one cat who it intimidated by being held closely so I let the vet do it for me on his first visit. Hopefully he will trust me in the future.

2kitties
03-17-2003, 02:05 PM
Rocky's Mama! I know you. I can tell by Fluff's picture. It's me, 2kitties, from Purrfect Paws

Rocky'smomma
03-17-2003, 03:06 PM
Hey!! what's up?? :)

slick
03-17-2003, 03:17 PM
Thanks to the burrito wrap, I do trim Max's nails, front and back. Because he has a short attention span I have to do it in two sittings. But he gets treats afterwards. :D

neko1
03-17-2003, 05:02 PM
I also clip claws where I work, so I have no problems.

My cats are really easy. I just plop them over onto the floor and clip away. They don't move. I taught them all when they were young to not move during clippings.

bluekat
03-17-2003, 05:52 PM
You don't clip your cat's claws? i let the vet do it whenever we go, but we do clip them every weekend. They get too long after awhile, and a bit sharp. BTW, thanks for reminding me, i just remembered tht i forgot to clip them this week, lol! Well, its pretty hard to clip their claws, they always try to bite me. My dad holds the cat while i clip. it makes it easier than just one person doing it!:)

krazyaboutkatz
03-18-2003, 12:23 AM
I've tried to clip their nails myself but didn't have much luck. Now I take them to a groomer to have it done. I take them about every 6-8weeks. They are angels at the groomers but not with me. I'm not sure how my new cat Cirrus will be though.

L. Wayne
03-18-2003, 05:07 AM
last week I took Fawn in for a nail clipping to the vets. She said
that sometimes it is a two-person job. I have yet to find an easy way to do it myself since none of my cats like to have their nails clipped without a struggle.

Miss Meow
03-18-2003, 03:10 PM
We do ours every three or four weeks. I prefer to take a little bit off but do them often so it keeps them in the habit of getting their nails trimmed.

Jasmine is good and only takes one person. Mini used to be a devil and needed to be wrapped in a towel with two people and plenty of scratches, but now I wait until he's looking for attention and pet him while I do one at a time. Takes longer, but it's less stressful for all of us. I do Tabasco while he's asleep :) and Pickles is one claw at a time while I'm petting him. Luckily I don't usually need to do the back feet as I'd be there all day!

moosmom
03-18-2003, 04:05 PM
I also clip all my cats claws. I usually make it the same night I torture Moo with a bath. Which reminds me, tonight's the night Stinkboy gets a bath - P U!!!!

I usually put them on the floor between my legs (gives me more control). I cross my feet so they can't slither out backwards through them. Once I get on a roll, nothing can stop me.

I've been cutting my cats nails for over 8 years and have become a real pro.