PDA

View Full Version : Hello & Intro to my crew!

Anakins mom
03-15-2003, 08:29 AM
Hello!

I just found this site today while I was looking for information about cats in general. I have been looking for a good place for awhile that wasn't about pure-breds...as all my cats have a history! (So do most of my crew come to think of it!)

So here is a bit about my crew:
Anakin: Neutered male GSD - 3 1/2 years old. Black & Tan. From a breeder.

Hannah: Spayed female GSD - 7 years old. Black & Red. From a BYB

Naomi: Spayed female cat - 12 years old. Shorthair. Gray/blue with white bib and mittens. Rescued off the side of the road one day before an ice storm.

Ember: Spayed female cat - 5 years old. Shorthair. Calico. From a litter of a feral barn cat I tried to capture.

Indy: Spayed female cat - 10 months old. Shorthair. Calico (tiger). Found on Independence Day 2002. Had been thrown out on the side of the road in a sack and escaped the sack.

Mystery: Neutered male - 3 years old. Longhaired. Solid Gray/blue Dropped in our yard by a coyote pack that came through and decimated a feral cat colony at the farm down the road from us.

Asia: female - 6 weeks old. Medium coat. Looks like a Siamese or Birman kitten. Not sure if she is blue or seal point yet. Rescued from a friends old barn cat female. The queens milk had dried up and one of Asia's siblings was lost. I brought Asia home at 4 weeks. She is doing great.

Bunz: - m/f? - 5+ years - white shorthaired New Zealand/Lop cross. Adopted our house rabbit privately.

Tony: Traditional gray male Cockatiel. 13 years old.

Mai-Lee: Female Pacific Parrotlett. 11 year old.

Lacey: Female Pearl blue Parakeet. - 9 years old

Stevie & Peri (Short for Peridot): m/f? 12+ years old - Both wild caught. Rescued Peri from the back of a pet store. They were not going to sell her as she is crippled from her capture and transport.
Bought Stevie before I knew you shouldn't buy wild caught parrots. Commited to keeping them happy and healthy for the rest of their natural life with me.

Almost forgot Stony and Shinook!

Stony: Gelding - 27 years old. Tennessee Walking horse. A friend talked a guy into giving me Stony as he was injured and needed a long layover to heal.

Shinook: Mare - 18 years old. Grade Welsh Pony. A friend of mine purchased a semi-blind TB gelding and the people gave her Shinook for a companion for him. She was pretty sick and minus all of her hair from the withers to her tail. They never contacted my friend about Shinook and my friend nursed her back to health. Shinook had foaled at 3! :mad:

My friend never had time to work with her. I purchased her at 7 untrained and very feral. It took me three years to train her, but you would never know now that she was once near death and feral.

That's my beloved critter crew. I have a hubby, Joe, who puts up with all my critters. Three grown children, Josh, Jer & Karissa (She is still living at home). And my first grand child, Keerah!

I look forward to getting to know you and your fur-kids.

Ann
03-15-2003, 08:32 AM
Wow, that's one big family you got! :)

You wouldn't happen to have pictures of them, would you? ;) If it's one thing we all love it's seeing the darling faces of other's pets!

Oh and BTW, you gotta add a little slash when ending the code tags. Like this: [/B]

Welcome to Pet Talk :)

sasvermont
03-15-2003, 08:43 AM
Oh my gosh. I think you qualify for a ZOO permit!

Welcome to Pet Talk. I think you will have fun here!

I have one cat! You will be bored with me!!!!!

Have fun and again, welcome to Pet Talk!

Sas and her Miley girl

P. S.

Amy, I just now re-read your post. Wow, you should go and get a license. It sounds as though you are able to cure the lame and fiesty ones and then walk them through their retirement years. All these pets sounds like a full time job to me! Bless your soul. And bless your husband for being so supportive!

You are one KEWL critter caretaker, for sure! I am so darn impressed. I know you didn't join here to impress anyone, just share, but I cannot get over how many strays and half glued together pets you gave a home to....and then they live happily ever after!

You are an angel!

Anakins mom
03-15-2003, 08:44 AM
Thanks Ann. It is going to take me a bit to get used to the format of the BB.

I went to hit reply for adding links to my pics under this topic and hit 'new topic'.

This is when my 'age' catches up with me! ;)

Anakins mom
03-15-2003, 08:46 AM
Hi Sas,
Hubby calls us a zoo...I keep telling him we are a small farm! ;)

I won't be bored...I have been wanting to find 'cat people' to nosh heads with for over a year. I belong to a couple GSD BB's...but when you have a cat question you need to find cat people!:cool:

rosethecopycat
03-15-2003, 08:53 AM
Hi, welcome.

Come on over to the cat side and sit down and type a while.

I have two beasties:

Snowy- Male Lilac point siamese 2yrs.

and

Mr. Jones - Tuxedo boy 3 yrs.

:p

rosethecopycat

Anakins mom
03-15-2003, 09:08 AM
Hi! A lilac point! Wow! I hope to be owned by one someday! :D
We had a tuxedo girl years ago. We think she was stolen from our yard. :( No cats allowed out of the house unless they have their harness and leash and are accompanied by a human.

I'll be over in a little while...today is grain day for the horses. Have to get to the feed store for their supplies!

I am soooo excited to have found this BB and I have sooo many cat questions!

popcornbird
03-15-2003, 09:50 AM
Welcome! WOW! You have a lot of pets! I would love to have that many! :) I have two sweet cockatiels, Popcorn and Muffin, that you can see in my signature. Tell us about your pets, and I'd love to hear about the birds! Maybe you can post pics for us to see you fur/feather gang sometime too! :D

RockyRoad
03-15-2003, 09:56 AM
Wow, so many critters! Welcome to Pet Talk!:)
I have a GSD named Lady who is turning eight TOMORROW, a Tabby Cat named Sally (who is turning eight in about a month), a Lop Rabbit named Floppsy (who will turn four October 8th), Kelsey, Mooka, Bubbles, Popcorn, Ocean & Aqua are my Beta fish (who will be turning one on all different days). I also have tons of fish in our five fish tanks, including Squidward the Lion Fish. :D
Hope you like it here!

Anakins mom
03-15-2003, 10:00 AM
Hello & Wow! They are beautiful! I used to have a pearl hen, named Pearl and a lutino named Sunny. They were rescues. Lost them both to old age we are assuming as there was no way of knowing their age.

Those are really beautiful pictures of Popcorn & Muffin!

Anakins mom
03-15-2003, 10:05 AM
Cool! My Jer and Karissa used to have Betas. Jer had quite an aquarium when he was a teen. He keeps a Beta now. My son Jer is in the Air Force.

Your lop is beautiful. We used to have a male lop with similar markings. He was Jer's house rabbit and his name was Thumper.

Is Floppsy your first house rabbit? A friend of mine had one of her lops live to be 16! :eek:

I'm liking it here already and I still have soooo many posts to read! :eek:

popcornbird
03-15-2003, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Anakins mom
Hello & Wow! They are beautiful! I used to have a pearl hen, named Pearl and a lutino named Sunny. They were rescues. Lost them both to old age we are assuming as there was no way of knowing their age.

Those are really beautiful pictures of Popcorn & Muffin!

Thanks! Popcorn's the lutino and Muffin's the pearl. They are both just a little over 3 1/2 years old and I've had them since they were 3 months, so they are definitely beloved members of the family! :)

lovemyshiba
03-15-2003, 10:36 AM
Welcome to Pet Talk!!
What an impressive fur family you have!!!! And bless your hubby for putting up with it.
I have two dogs, Kito, a Shiba Inu, and Abbey, a beagle mix--I would like to have more--but I have that stubborn husband!!!!
I'm sure you will find a lot of wonderful advice here, and plenty of fun!!

Anakins mom
03-15-2003, 10:42 AM
Oh! They are so sweet!

My brother has an Akita/Shiba Inu cross that he found at a rescue. We have a Beagle/Brittany Spaniel cross that has been staying with us since she was rescued by my oldest son's best friend. (He used to live with us too!) He and his fiancee and their Doxie are moving to Texas at the end of the month and Ellie will be moving with them.

I am going to miss her. But she adores Brendan and she will be very happy to be reunited with him.

iceyshiver21
03-15-2003, 10:44 AM
WOW!! Thats great, We love getting new members, and you have such a BIG family, I know you'll Like Pettalk, mostly all of us here are obsessed with it!! :p Its a great place and where else can you brag constently about your wonderful pets!!

I have-
five dogs- Buck, Bishop, Dutchess, Annie, and Odie
four Cats- Memow, Peppi, Ozzy, and BLueberry
a rat- Messee
Two Horses- Soni De and Spike
and at last, but not least two rabbits- Nelly and Emily

]WELCOME TO PETTALK!!!

Tina
03-15-2003, 11:27 AM
Hello and Welcome!! I'm sure you will really like it here.:)

My gang:

3 Dogs- Ginger 1 year old female Miniature Pinshcer mix.
Oscar 4 and 1/2 month old male Miniature Pinscher/Miniature Poodle/Terrier mix.
Ruff-7 and 1/2 male turning 8 years old next month he is a Collie/Spitz mix.

3 Cats- Gus 2 and 1/2 year old male Tabby.
Fuzzy Wuzzy- 1 and 1/2 year old female black/white medium haired.
Ozzie-11 month old male he is black. He looks like he is wearing mittens.

2 Birds- BirdBird 6 year old female Grey Cockatiel and Feathers 1 and 1/2 year old female Parakeet.

1 Guinea Pig-Wiggy Pig 5 month old male.

1 Rabbit-Hershey 2 and 1/2 year old Dwarf.

3 Chickens- Henny Jenny,Henny Penny and Ruby Red 2 year old Rhode Island Red Hens.

ChrisH
03-15-2003, 11:50 AM
Hello and welcome to Pet Talk!:) You have quite a pet family there! I just know I am going to love hearing more about them, and seeing the pictures too?!:)

Chris

Anakins mom
03-15-2003, 11:52 AM
Wow! This is great finding and meeting other pet owners!
I am soooo glad to learn that I am not the only multiple pet home!

lynnestankard
03-15-2003, 12:44 PM
WOW Amy - that is one HUGE menagerie!!

May I wish you http://pages.prodigy.net/bestsmileys1/emoticons3/welcome1.gif to Pet Talk. It will be great to hear and see all your animals!!

Oh I have three cats Bagel, Ketchum and Dan.

Lynne

micki76
03-15-2003, 12:49 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk!!!
I'm Micki and have Chester (Toy Fox Terrier) from a byb (I know better now) and Millie (Jack Russell X) from a rescue org. Unfortunately, there won't be any small animal additions, as they are terriers through and through. :rolleyes:
I'd love to see pics of your gang!

Anakins mom
03-15-2003, 03:36 PM
Hello Lynne and Micki,
Nice to meet you. Cute pups Micki. :) I posted pics under a different thread here in general. I hit the wrong button and it started another topic ... oh well, I'll get the hang of the buttons eventually!

RockyRoad
03-15-2003, 03:43 PM
Cool! My Jer and Karissa used to have Betas. Jer had quite an aquarium when he was a teen. He keeps a Beta now. My son Jer is in the Air Force.

Your lop is beautiful. We used to have a male lop with similar markings. He was Jer's house rabbit and his name was Thumper.

Is Floppsy your first house rabbit? A friend of mine had one of her lops live to be 16! :eek:

I'm liking it here already and I still have soooo many posts to read! :eek:

Floppsy lives outside, but only because her breeder instructed us to keep her outside (she was born and bred outdoors).
My aunt's outdoor Lop lived to be fourteen (I guess Lops live long lives!). :)

Jessica12345
03-15-2003, 03:45 PM
A warm welcome to PT!:) Thats quite a big family you got yourself!:eek: lol. I have a sweet cauique bird named Tiki and 2 dogs named Jordan and Jewels. You can see them in my sig. I would love to see pics of your crew- expeically your birds- sometime.:) Cant wait to hear about and see your wonderful pets!;)

Karen
03-15-2003, 03:45 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk! I have one little brown bunny, Miss Hoppy, That's her in my avatar. Hey, where is your zoo? You put Western MA, as in 413? I grew up in Central MA, but live near Boston now, where people think anything west of 128 is Western MA! ;)

You've got quite a gang there - you're sure to fit in well here!

Jessica12345
03-15-2003, 03:47 PM
Im in western MA:D

Anakins mom
03-15-2003, 04:07 PM
Yep...I'm in the 413 area code. Monson.
It is a couple towns over from Sturbridge, MA which is considered central MA.

Vermontcat
03-15-2003, 09:10 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk !!!
It looks like you are going to be a great addition here with all your wonderful pets!:)
It is nice to see a new person from New England too!
Did you say you posted some pictures somewhere? I'm going to take a look around for them now.
I have a cat Samantha and a parakeet T-bird. I also love horses and riding too.

aly
03-15-2003, 10:36 PM
That is quite a crew!!! Can I come over and play? :D :D

WELCOME to Pet Talk! I hope you stick around. I'd love to hear more about your babies :)

Karen
03-15-2003, 10:46 PM
Yep...I'm in the 413 area code. Monson.
It is a couple towns over from Sturbridge, MA which is considered central MA.

Yep, I know where that is! We used to drive to a butcher in Wales, "Hey Mister Butcher" who would usually have a big knuckle-bone or some other extra large bone put aside for our St. Bernard! :) I grew up in North Oxford, where Dad still lives with the current St. Bernard!

*LabLoverKEB*
03-15-2003, 11:30 PM
Welcome to Pet Talk! I'm sure you'll love it here! What a big family you have! You wouldn't happen to have pictures, would you? Pet Talkers love pictures! lol!

What are the addresses to the GSD bulliten boards? I have a very good friend with a GSD!

I am Sarah, and I have a Black labrador Retriever, named Sadie!:) ;)

wolf_Q
03-16-2003, 02:03 AM
WELCOME to Pet Talk!!! It sounds like you've got a wonderful bunch of pets there! I can't *wait* to see pics (especially of the GSDs!)

I'm Amy...I have 3 dogs:

Reggie is a 10 year old schnauzer
Smokey is a 17 year old poodle
and Nebo is an almost 10 month old siberian husky--you can see him in my siggy!

Again, WELCOME, and I hope you enjoy it here! It's addictive! :D

03-16-2003, 05:02 AM
W E L C O M E TO PETTALK !!!!

http://www.xmission.com/~emailbox/clipart/catsonfence.jpg
to use L.Wayne's words : you have quite a "menagerie"!!!
He he, we love petlovers here!! And, a serious warning: PT is addictive :eek: :eek: :D

Oh yep, about my menagerie:
2cats, Maya(calico) and Inka , 1 cat at RB , Sydney
1 bunny Billie
1 guinea pig Jasper
uncountable fishes in our pond

this are Maya & Inka!
http://users.pandora.be/bernardgabriels/images/samen.jpg

Feel free to pay a visit to my home-page! it's filled with pics of my pets!! Don't forget to sign my guestbook!!
You can also see my cuties in my signature & avatar!

Anakins mom
03-16-2003, 07:59 AM
Wow Karen! I don't live far from there at all. I am right on the Monson, Wales and Stafford Connecticut border. After the butcher shop closed it was a plant nursery. But the nursery closed too. Hubbies oldest sister is out in East Douglas. Not far from the Oxfords at all.

I am lovin' seeing all these pictures of your pets! I keep scrap albums of my pets and gardens. Non-pet people and non-garden people think I am a bit eccentric. But they are such a part of my life and each of my pets has some 'history' as to how they came to be with us.

I used to have a senior Morgan gelding, two senior pony geldings, a Standardbred mare and a blind pony mare too. Plus we used to have chickens. I re-homed the Ben, the morgan to a 4-H family that loved him so much they adopted another senior morgan mare. My senior ponies died of old age and my Standardbred mare died from complication to her sinuses from her years on the track. Our little blind pony mare is now the faithful companion to a POA mare one town over.

I kind of 'fell' into senior horse and pony rescue for a couple years. It was nice to give them a safe place to be until they crossed over the Rainbow Bridge.

I have lost two of my dogs to Degenerative Myelopathy and one to Addison's Disease. We lost two of our cats too...they escaped out the door and were never seen again. (We have coyotes, fishercats, hawks and owls in our area the prey on cats.) I am a real nut about being careful not to let the cats out!

I also used to take in unwanted birds...I used to have quite a few cockatiels, parakeets and anther Senegal Parrot. I was able to re-home many of them and the older ones lived out their years here with us.

Here are some links to other GSD BB's:

The German Shepherd Dog Webring BB (http://www.gsdring.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi)
This is the first BB I ever joined. The rules are strict because there has been some bickering over the years. But it a really good place to learn about GSDs.

The German Shepherd Web Board (http://www.germanshepherds.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi)
This BB is ok...some nice knowledgeable people and a very active rescue area. Lots of bickering between some folks there. So I don't post often. I just keep an eye out for people who have problems with their dogs health like I have had.

German Shepherd Dog Ring Working Dog Forum (http://www.gsdring.com/forums/index.php)
This BB is for people with working German Shepherds. Very strict board...but great for information about working Shepherds.

GSD Health Registry (http://pub13.ezboard.com/bgsdhealthregistry)
This is a very new GSD BB specifically for people to post the pedigrees of dogs that have been diagnosed with problems that could be genetic in nature. Pretty strict format. Pedigree posts are closed once entered. (Which is good as then they cannot be hacked.) People who strongly believe it is time to get our heads out of the sand about all the sick GSDs are the ones who are voluntarily posting their dogs pedigrees.

The GSD Lounge (http://pub143.ezboard.com/bgsdlounge)
A fairly new BB. Pretty nice people there.

*The above two BB's are 'ezboards' if you aren't all ready a member of the 'ezboard' community you will need to join. I suggest you join with a 'global account' as then you can join other 'ezboard' communities. If you join with a 'local' account you can only access the one bb you join. Here is the link to join 'ezboards':

Welcome To ezboards! (http://www.ezboard.com/intl/en/index.html)

*Whew!* Took me a bit to get the links working!

Anakins mom
03-16-2003, 08:41 AM
Here is a link to the post with links to pics of my crew!

Picture! Coming up! (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22649)

anna_66
03-16-2003, 08:47 AM
http://pages.prodigy.net/bestsmileys1/emoticons3/lmkbubblfsh.gif
Sounds like you have alot of wonderful animals, I only wish I could have 1/2 that many! I can't wait to hear about them all, and hopefully see some pictures:D
If you love talking about your animals, you've sure come to the right place!!!
I am Anna, owned by 3 dogs (L-R: Roxey~Siberian Husky, almost 2 yrs; Angus~Rottweiler, 11 yrs; and our latest addition, Huney~Chow, we think she's around 2 now, but not sure, she was dumped and we rescued her.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid49/pbcce81bd0049359ce4ff9b2651d89e32/fcb40a9a.jpg

Anakins mom
03-16-2003, 09:14 AM
Thank you Anna...your fur-kids are gorgeous!
Angus looks great for 11! Does Roxey have blue eyes? Glad you saved Huney. Drives me nuts when people dump animals. I live pretty far out in the country and it happens alot out here. :mad: