PDA

View Full Version : With all this talk about Soft Paws........

jenluckenbach
03-14-2003, 02:30 PM
.....now I've got to try them. Sheesh, the last thing I need is to be doing is putting false nails on 13 cats,:rolleyes: But since I can order them rather inexpensively through one of the grooming shop's distributors, why not? I did not know the correct size though, it is hard to judge with the size chart they print in the book, so I just ordered Kitten size (for little Kim), some small and some medium. None of my cats seem to have the REALLY large claws. So, with so many cats to chose from, I figure they will all get used. hee hee. Should get them next week.

Can anyone who has actually used them tell me ANYTHING about them?

NoahsMommy
03-14-2003, 02:33 PM
Jen,

Noah and Oliver wear a large...so you may want to reconsider not ordering any large.

Noel and Basie wear a medium

I think Olivia will be a large or medium....

They work really well! With Oliver trying to get out of his room, he claws at the screen we put up and NO damage!! They're great!!!

wolflady
03-14-2003, 02:41 PM
Looks like more people are jumping on the Soft Paws band wagon that Marius started! :p LOL LOL LOL ;)

I've been using them for years. Once your cats get used to them, the caps can last up to a month (about the time it takes kitty to shed their claw sheaths). If they swallow them, no biggie...it will just pass right though. Marius has never swallowed them before though. Kitty can still retract his/her claws. "scratching" behavior is normal and they don't hinder balance or agility at all. Basically, the only noticable thing will be fashionable nails (if you opt for colors) and no pain when kitty makes bread or anything else they might scratch! LOL :D

All in all, I just love them. I have not had a single problem with them and Marius.
Funny, Kelly...I have been putting size small on Marius ever since I discovered them, because the other sizes just looked so big on that size chart! :eek: I wonder if I should go up a size? He's a 15 pound cat! :eek: What do you think??!! :eek: ;) :o

jenluckenbach
03-14-2003, 02:45 PM
Wolflady 1) if it works, why switch? (size)
2) A co-worker wondered if it in any way "ruins" the cat's nails, over time? She related it to how our nails would become damaged if we wore fake nails all of the time.

NoahsMommy
03-14-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by wolflady
Kelly...I have been putting size small on Marius ever since I discovered them, because the other sizes just looked so big on that size chart! :eek: I wonder if I should go up a size? He's a 15 pound cat! :eek: What do you think??!! :eek: ;) :o
Karen,

The vet said the if they are too small, they come off a lot quicker. How long does Marius usually go before you have to reapply? Our vet said that if they are done correctly, with the right size, they can last up to three months! Cool huh?

Jen...did you get my PM? Did it help at all?

Randi
03-14-2003, 03:02 PM
I'm thinking of getting some for Fister!! Don't you think blue will go well with his orange? :eek: I wonder what size I should get. :confused:

I'm in the process of tearing down our wall paper - Fister started (luckily only in our corridor), so I may as well try them before we get some new up. What do you think?

jenluckenbach
03-14-2003, 03:05 PM
Kelly, yes I did and it was great. I was just looking for extra opinions now.

Randi, Yes, blue would be perfect!

NoahsMommy
03-14-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
Kelly, yes I did and it was great. I was just looking for extra opinions now.

Randi, Yes, blue would be perfect!
Oh good! Can you believe how much we paid???

Randi, I agree. Noah is getting blue too....great color match. ;)

Edwina's Secretary
03-14-2003, 03:36 PM
blue too....great color match

"we sing for the blue and gold...whose team will win this game... you go....fight, fight, fight"

Must be spring fever...I'm getting so silly....

jenluckenbach
03-14-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy

Can you believe how much we paid???

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
(one for each of the 5 cats.)

kimlovescats
03-14-2003, 09:53 PM
How much do these things cost???

AmberLee
03-14-2003, 10:05 PM
I asked for them at a pet supply store today and was told they don't carry them because they are bad for the cats... their nails tend to get infected more easily. I was astonished. Can anyone address this issue: have your cats had nail problems since you started using them?

:( :confused: :eek: :confused:

NoahsMommy
03-15-2003, 04:34 AM
Jen....we're having to pay for three of them to be put on. Basil we'll do at home...Noah gets his on at the groomers. Its still alot of $$$.

Kim, they only cost about $19.00 for a package of 40 nail caps, two tubes of glue and applicators. They should last for about 4 months-6 months. We are paying to have our new vet (READ: we're finding out that they are more expensive) put them on our cats because they aren't used to having their paws touched like that....that, and we are babies. ;) We can apply them a few at a time, just not initially. Babies.... :rolleyes:

Ann
03-15-2003, 04:53 AM
Sorry for being so clueless but; what is "soft paws"? I must have missed the original thread talking bout them...

jenluckenbach
03-15-2003, 05:08 AM
I thought the advertising said 4 - 6 weeks (But I could be wrong), and all things vary. I also wondered about possible side affects.

03-15-2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Ann
Sorry for being so clueless but; what is "soft paws"? I must have missed the original thread talking bout them...

here is the link, Ann :A soft paws poll (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22477)
and here is more info : Soft paws (http://www.softpaws.com/about.html)

Ann
03-15-2003, 08:21 AM
Thanks Lut :)

That is some pretty weird stuff... LOL, perfect for the fashoinable cat though ;)

catmandu
03-15-2003, 09:34 AM
I have thought of soft Paws , but with my cats being active and my failing eyesight and bad back , I would have more luck trying to jump off the roof and fly!

jenluckenbach
03-15-2003, 04:47 PM
I asked my vet about side affects to soft paws and she did not seem to think there was anything negative about them. So I am going to be trying them as soon as they arrive. I may need to adjust the size I use next time, but time will tell. I have no experience.