PDA

View Full Version : Dogs that survived the Titanic sinking

weiner_teddy
03-13-2003, 07:12 PM
Did you know that three dogs survived the sinking of the Titanic? Two escaped on lifeboats and one was a hero!

Two lapdogs, a Pomeranian owned by Miss Margaret Hays of New York and a Pekinese owned by Henry Sleeper Harper of the publishing family, boarded early lifeboats in the arms of their owners. The boats were so empty that no one complained!

The first officer's large Newfoundland, Rigel, stayed behind with the ship. He was swimming in the icy waters after the sinking, desperate to find his master.

At the same time, the SS Carpathia was speeding to the scene to search for survivors. In the darkness, no one saw that a lifeboat was in its path and the passengers were too weak to exclaim.

Rigel swam between the lifeboat and the SS Carpathia, barking continuously. Finally, the Captain heard Rigel and ordered all engines stopped. The dog then guided the lifeboat through the night to safety.

Once on board, Rigel seemed physically unaffected by his ordeal. He stood with paws on the rail barking in futility for his lost master until he was taken below for food and medical attention.

Isn't that amazing, it's a really neat story! What do you think...?

RockyRoad
03-13-2003, 07:19 PM
Wow, that's really interesting! I never knew that, and I've done tons of research on the Titanic. Thanks for the information.:)

moosmom
03-13-2003, 07:21 PM
That's amazing! The Titanic Archive Exhibit is in Michigan until September. My best friend is coming to visit me next month and we're going to see it together.

That's amazing that there were actually canine survivors of that tragedy.

COCatMama
03-13-2003, 07:44 PM
poor Rigel :( but cool story ;)

iceyshiver21
03-13-2003, 08:08 PM
HEY!! I finelly read that email, that you sent me on this!! Took me awhile but I got it :) :D This is a very interesting story, that sadly is to unknown.

Ann
03-14-2003, 07:30 AM
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing :)

bluekat
03-14-2003, 07:47 AM
Poor Rigel....but great story! i never knew that dogs survived, thanks for sharing! i enjoyed it:)

ramanth
03-14-2003, 08:33 AM
Wonderful story. :) Brave Rigel.

Originally posted by moosmom
That's amazing! The Titanic Archive Exhibit is in Michigan until September. My best friend is coming to visit me next month and we're going to see it together.

That's amazing that there were actually canine survivors of that tragedy.

Donna, some friends, my sister, and I plan to see this exhibit sometime soon. When are you going? Maybe we can all go together. :D

*edit* sorry for the quadrupal postings (I deleted the others). The board went down as I was replying.... guess I got impatient and hit submit a wee too many times. :o

Dakota's Mommy
03-14-2003, 02:42 PM
Wow, that's really cool! I've never heard that before, thanks for sharing!

Desert Arabian
03-14-2003, 03:01 PM
Cool story. I never knew that...learn something new everyday on Pet Talk. :D

Of course it was a Newfy that swam and barked at the ship...that's what they were bred to do...swim in fridged water and save people. :D :D

marysmerrycats
03-15-2003, 11:30 PM
that IS very interesting, thanks for the story! where did you read that? I have a couple books on the titanic and did not know
about that!

wolfsoul
03-16-2003, 12:46 AM
That's really neat! :)

onehorsey9
02-13-2007, 04:41 AM
Did you know that three dogs survived the sinking of the Titanic? Two escaped on lifeboats and one was a hero!

Two lapdogs, a Pomeranian owned by Miss Margaret Hays of New York and a Pekinese owned by Henry Sleeper Harper of the publishing family, boarded early lifeboats in the arms of their owners. The boats were so empty that no one complained!

The first officer's large Newfoundland, Rigel, stayed behind with the ship. He was swimming in the icy waters after the sinking, desperate to find his master.

At the same time, the SS Carpathia was speeding to the scene to search for survivors. In the darkness, no one saw that a lifeboat was in its path and the passengers were too weak to exclaim.

Rigel swam between the lifeboat and the SS Carpathia, barking continuously. Finally, the Captain heard Rigel and ordered all engines stopped. The dog then guided the lifeboat through the night to safety.

Once on board, Rigel seemed physically unaffected by his ordeal. He stood with paws on the rail barking in futility for his lost master until he was taken below for food and medical attention.

Isn't that amazing, it's a really neat story! What do you think...?

That dog was so brave and newfoundlands are adorable, i do feel sorry for him loosing his master though!

borzoimom
02-13-2007, 05:02 AM
Wow- that is an amazing story!! Thank you for sharing that!

critter crazy
02-13-2007, 06:06 AM
Wow Awsome story!!! :eek:

Laura's Babies
02-13-2007, 07:49 AM
And some people call them "dumb animals"! :rolleyes: