PDA

View Full Version : Running Loose Around The House!

liongirl81
03-13-2003, 05:41 PM
Hello, i was wondering i have 2 big dogs but they are 2 years old and still in crates, i want to know how do you know when they are able to stay out and be able to walk about the house without destroying it. If i let the St. Bernard out at night he is fine he just sleeps on the kitchen floor no pronlems but the last time i tried the both of them (american bulldog and St. Bernard) big mistake they destroyed the place. It seems i will only be able to have one out or the other any suggestions? \not to mention leave the little chihuaua alone the bulldog loves to tease her Please help!

Cincy'sMom
03-13-2003, 05:51 PM
The biggest thing is knowing your dog's temperment and judging for yourself when they are ready. There is no magical age. Sadie was "uncarted" about 7 or 8 months when we starting giving her the house, Cincy was over a year.

Once you think your dogs are ready, do it gradually. Leave them out when you take the garbage out, or take a short walk around the block, maybe even just stand outside the door if you think that is all they can handle without tearing things up. Go back in and praise them for being good. Slowly increase the time you are gone. Never punish them for being bad, they will associate your coming home as a bad thing.

Also, if you think the the bulldog will hurt the chi don't take a chance! Give your chi a place to hid where your bulldog can't get to him, or keep them in different room, even if they are not crated.