PDA

View Full Version : Fern's story

jenluckenbach
03-13-2003, 06:06 AM
Fern was adopted in May 1997. I was told she'd be shy. This, as I learned over time, was an understatment. But when the foster mom brought her to me and I held her and she curled up into a little ball, I was hooked. (she was about 1 year old at the time)
She was brought in to the shelter as a stray, so no background was available, but she came home with me (together with Rutherford, who was adopted on the same day)
Miss Fern hid behind the bed....days....weeks.....months.... You could not approach her without her running.
The only time I managed to touch her was at feeding time. I taught her to be tolerant of my hand as I placed her food bowl down. This is how we made our progress.
There is no way I can recall or write about all her milestone, but suffice it to say that it took her 4 YEARS to venture onto my lap.
When we moved to this house, which has 3 floors, you could gauge her progress with which floor of the house she resided on. At first the 3rd floor was her haunting ground. She'd sleep in the beanbag chairs and eat up in that room. Then she progressed to the 2nd floor. She took up sleeping in the middle bedroom (now the mouse room). Then the day finally came when she moved her sleeping area to our living room. First it was behind a chair, then it was on the loveseat (we don't sit there) and now she is right up on the back of the sofa with my husband!
But the reason that this all comes to mind is what she has been doing this week. She actuall ASKS (you can see it in her eyes) for me to sit in my chair so she can come up for her "pets".:D
Fern.....you were worth every minute.

Vio&Juni
03-13-2003, 06:21 AM
Reading news about Cataholic's Minnie lately made me think about Fern. I am glad she's asking for pets now. Great news!

Barbara
03-13-2003, 06:46 AM
I also thought about Minnie. Jen it is great to see what love and time can do:)

kimlovescats
03-13-2003, 09:11 AM
Oh, Jen .... that is such a beautiful, and encouraging story! Thanks so much for sharing it with us!!! I know how thrilled I am already with my 3 semi-feral kittens... they've come such a long way already with me! It feels so great!!! :D

catmandu
03-13-2003, 09:37 AM
Great News Jen! I also thought of minnie and my own Cat , The princess who is still shy after 10 years , not with me , but theother cats , especially the males who chase and tease her.It takes a lot of love and Patience , but it is well worth it!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-13-2003, 10:44 AM
Awww...such a wonderful story. I'm so glad she's finally feeling like she belongs, and has even learned how to ask for pets (it's funny, that's what I call it too). :) :)

And since I don't have the memory of you, Jen,;) which one in your signature is Fern? :)

Prairie Purrs
03-13-2003, 12:42 PM
Bless you for your patience!! One of mine (Bob) wouldn't come near me for a couple weeks after being neutered (not that I blame him :( ), and I was afraid he'd never let me pet him again. I'm glad your little girl is getting so comfy with you after all this time!

2kitties
03-13-2003, 01:08 PM
This is a wonderful story. You're so very wealthy to have an emotional investment like Fern.

ChrisH
03-13-2003, 02:47 PM
Jen, that is a wonderful and encouraging story,:) thanks. Bless you for being such a patient and loving cat miowmie.

Chris

mruffruff
03-13-2003, 03:17 PM
Jen, you give me hope!

I have 5 mostly feral cats in my spare room (and outside pen) that I can't touch. Each is in a different stage. One of them
I've had since September and she still runs from me except when it's feeding time. I've been wondering if it's a lost cause, but I guess I'll give it another few years! :D

Only one of the total of six has turned the corner and rubs against my legs, begging to be petted. She was a violent feral until SHE decided not to be.

Your patience has been rewarded in the best possible way.

Mary

batgirl1980
03-13-2003, 03:59 PM
Aww thats soo cute. I"m glad she's finally come around to see how wonderful pets are ! Congrats on winning her over! :)

And which one is her in your sig?

NoahsMommy
03-13-2003, 04:42 PM
Jen,

I love the name Fern...so when you or Wayne bring it up, my ears perk right up...or should I say eyes? ;)

What a wonderful story. I'm so glad you were patient with her, allowing her to come to you in her own time. Many people couldn't do that...I'm so glad you did.

You're a perfect kitty meowmee!

Yes...which one is she?? I'd love to see her picture. :)

jenluckenbach
03-13-2003, 05:58 PM
FERN
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid34/p01e57a139013553cc330d1229cb1dbb6/fd37b9de.jpg

batgirl1980
03-13-2003, 06:04 PM
Aww she's sooo cute! Definetely worth all the patience in the world for that face! :)

NoahsMommy
03-13-2003, 06:15 PM
Awwwww! Fern!!! I love her....she's a gorgeous girl and SO worth the wait. ;)

Steffi N
03-13-2003, 07:11 PM
Isn't it wonderful what patience and love can do.

Nomilynn
03-13-2003, 07:19 PM
She's such a beauty :)

marysmerrycats
03-13-2003, 11:46 PM
thats wonderful and what a sweet story! I hope someday Louise will trust me like that.

jenluckenbach
01-15-2004, 05:50 AM
A shameless BUMP :o

Barbara
01-15-2004, 08:11 AM
Tigris who can't be exactly described as shy took seven years before he came to people's lap.
So Fern did very well:)

Lallypop11
01-15-2004, 11:27 AM
What a beautiful story, you are a blessing to the cat world. :D