PDA

View Full Version : drivers ed

wolfsoul
03-12-2003, 10:22 PM
has anyone here taken drivers ed? i wanted to know if i should take it next year....we already did course selection, but i am allowed to quickly switch....my stepmom said she will teach me to drive, but will i be missing out on anything? i heard that u have to learn the cars parts and stuff, and thats the thing im not looking forward to...any opinions would be greatly appreciated. :)

Nomilynn
03-12-2003, 10:34 PM
With BC's newer driver's liscence laws, I would recommend Driver's ed, especially if you can take it through school.

Brie
03-12-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by wolfsoul
i heard that u have to learn the cars parts and stuff, and thats the thing im not looking forward to

That's what you need to know, ya' know, besides driving (which is the easy part).

I'm assuming your female (I'm sorry if I assumed wrong) but, mechanics will totally take advantage of a woman who walks into a repair shop. It happens all over the world. You take your car in knowing A, B and C, but, because the mechanic can get away with it, the sell you D, E and F as well, because they know you'll never ask any questions or ever know the difference!
I think everyone should know the basics. How to change a tire, how to check your oil and other fluids, how to change your oil, what most of your cars parts are called.

Women really need to break the stereo type that were oblivious when it comes to cars. Know what you're doin'! You'll appreciate this later in life when you're livin' on your own! Right now it sounds like a joke and a waste of time. DO IT, take the class! I wish they required it here in California!

slleipnir
03-13-2003, 07:50 AM
I took it. It's worth it..I don't know about where you live, but here, it lowers your insurance and stuff if you take it :rolleyes:

Brie
03-13-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by slleipnir
it lowers your insurance and stuff if you take it :rolleyes:

Do anything you can to lower your insurance. Cause if you ever get a ticket or an accient (your fault or not) and your insurance company finds out about it, your insurance can sky rocket!

My husband and I pay $255 and some change every month for insurance. (that's a LOT for insurance)

lovemyshiba
03-13-2003, 01:03 PM
I had to take it in high school, and it was kind of a joke, but our insurance was lowered because of it. We did the book stuff, with tests and stuff, but when it was time for the driving, the teacher (who was also the football and track coach, and a friend of my stepmother, and I babysat his kids sometimes--small town), just basically took me around to run his errands--McDonalds for lunch, post office, bank, etc..
I would take it if I were you, you can learn a lot.

Desert Arabian
03-13-2003, 03:15 PM
I am taking it this fall through school. It costs $200, but if you go to a private driving place it is around $500.

I saw the text books that we have to use, and they are huge...or should I say fat. At least 400 pages. :eek: :eek:

I can't wait 'til I start...I already am a pretty good driver on the backroads and town roads up by our cottage. I am more afraid of fellow drivers...since many are so wild and aggressive, at least around here they are.

Kfamr
03-13-2003, 03:21 PM
I don't want to ever drive. So many people have died in my school in car accidents this year and it's really scary.

wolfsoul
03-13-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
I don't want to ever drive. So many people have died in my school in car accidents this year and it's really scary.
eep thats sad :(

alright, i guess i will take it :D
personally i'm afraid to drive as my uncle let me drive his car up the driveway last year and i almost crashed lol..i'm terrible at it..:rolleyes: I'm glad that it lowers your insurance though...that's a definate bonus! :D thanx!

iceyshiver21
03-13-2003, 08:11 PM
I did, I found it very informing, its more than just learning to drive, it the other stuff like how to avoid drunk drivers and things that your mom might not be able to teach you.

**Even though I HATED the Drivers Ed teacher because he whistled everytime he said an "S" and it gave me huge headaches after 90 mins. of that class!

COCatMama
03-13-2003, 08:12 PM
I took driving lessons, approx cost $700.00 GRRR and I FAILED my road test. RIP OFF.
Anyone in/around Surrey BC do NOT use A-1 driving. I talked with one of the truck drivers at work and he used to be a driving instructor, he recommended AAA (or Triple A) Easy park based out of Langley.
Young Drivers is a rip-off apparently, verrryyyy expensive.

Nomilynn
03-13-2003, 08:15 PM
My bf took young drivers. Yes, it's the most expensive but he said it was worth every penny. Tips he learned in that course has gotten him out of several dangerous situations that he would have panicked in otherwise. I wish now that I had taken YD.

wolfsoul
03-13-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by iceyshiver21

**Even though I HATED the Drivers Ed teacher because he whistled everytime he said an "S" and it gave me huge headaches after 90 mins. of that class!

lol..like gopher on winnie the pooh :p

COCatMama
03-13-2003, 08:17 PM
I heard from that driver that YD deliberately will keep telling you you are not ready for the Road Test, even if you are, so you will keep giving them money.
Also, I called them after flunking my test, and they will not allow you to just pay for one hour at a time like ALL the other schools will, you have to pay for like 3 hours!!!

slleipnir
03-13-2003, 08:19 PM
personally i'm afraid to drive as my uncle let me drive his car up the driveway last year and i almost crashed lol..i'm terrible at it..

The first time my sister was backing out of our driveway, she crashed into our neighbors garage :rolleyes: lol, shes a great driver now :o

iceyshiver21
03-13-2003, 08:24 PM

lol..like gopher on winnie the pooh :p

OMG!!! YES!!

weiner_teddy
03-13-2003, 08:59 PM
I have taken Driver's Ed in my Freshman year of High School, even though Iv'e only been driving about a year, I have learned alot! You learn alot of valuable information in that class, and yeah, I agree with you there Katie (on Mr. Irsfeld's whisteling!)

wolfsoul
03-13-2003, 10:25 PM

OMG!!! YES!!

lmao..
hey what kind of dog do u have? the dog in ur siggy is very unique looking...very cute! :)

Dakota's Mommy
03-14-2003, 03:12 PM
I had to take it but it was offered at the schools because it was a requirement to get your license at 16 years old. I really don't remember it that much though since it was about 5 years ago. Wow, it's hard to believe that I've been driving that long!

iceyshiver21
03-14-2003, 04:10 PM

lmao..
hey what kind of dog do u have? the dog in ur siggy is very unique looking...very cute! :)

Annie is a Basset Hound/ New Foundland :D Shes a big sweetie.

wolfsoul
03-14-2003, 07:02 PM

Annie is a Basset Hound/ New Foundland :D Shes a big sweetie.

wow thats an interesting cross! :) shes adorable!

iceyshiver21
03-14-2003, 09:04 PM
Wolfsoul I love your sig. I was gonna pm, that but I didnt have time, Its so cute!! :D

wolfsoul
03-14-2003, 09:06 PM
Wolfsoul I love your sig. I was gonna pm, that but I didnt have time, Its so cute!! :D

thanx! :) I was hoping someone would make a comment lol..it's the first pic i've ever had in my sig! :D That's my rat Frisco ;)

iceyshiver21
03-14-2003, 09:15 PM

thanx! :) I was hoping someone would make a comment lol..it's the first pic i've ever had in my sig! :D That's my rat Frisco ;)

HEHE what a cutie!! Kinda reminds me of my rat Meesee, :D I might put her in my next sig. :p

wolfsoul
03-14-2003, 09:34 PM

HEHE what a cutie!! Kinda reminds me of my rat Meesee, :D I might put her in my next sig. :p

ooh! i would love to see Meesee! :D