PDA

View Full Version : Who is talking about Pet Talk?

Paul
03-12-2003, 01:42 PM
   A lot of people are visiting Pet of the Day today. Many of them are taking a look at Pet Talk. A newspaper, magazine, or TV show must be mentioning Pet of the Day today. At least I believe it is an offline source. Does anyone know who is talking about us?

Paul

Former User
03-12-2003, 01:51 PM
Can't you check it out from your admin panel?
Maybe your site is Site of the day somewhere? :confused:

popcornbird
03-12-2003, 01:55 PM
Are you just wondering this, or is it true? I suppose maybe someone advertised your site on their's or something. :confused:

Barbara
03-12-2003, 02:22 PM
I have thought sometimes that IF I would write a PhD thesis I would write it about PT but no I don't:D

Logan
03-12-2003, 02:24 PM
Not sure, Paul, but a new member who posted on Pet of the Day stated that she got the link from another site because of some issues about today's POTD, who is such an adorable hamster!!! :) Just wonder if maybe that is where a lot of the traffic is coming from.

Karen
03-12-2003, 02:31 PM
Paul mentioned to me that it seems to be an OFF-line source, as people are typing "pet of the Day" into all the search engines, not hitting PetoftheDay.com directly. So if anyone sees it in a newspaper, or hears it on TV or radio, let us know!

:) to a PhD thesis on PetTalk! :)

catland
03-12-2003, 03:42 PM
I was wondering too. We've had a lot of guests today. Maybe one of those guests can become a member and let us know?

popcornbird
03-12-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Karen
Paul mentioned to me that it seems to be an OFF-line source, as people are typing "pet of the Day" into all the search engines, not hitting PetoftheDay.com directly. So if anyone sees it in a newspaper, or hears it on TV or radio, let us know!

:) to a PhD thesis on PetTalk! :)

Just wondering, how do you know if people are coming directly, or by a search? :confused:

zippy-kat
03-12-2003, 03:55 PM
I do know that it appears in a book but for the life of me I cannot remember the name... something like "Top 100 websites for all Pet Lovers."

I don't have this site bookmarked at work and usually search via Yahoo for it, rather than typin' in the address.

if you find out anything, let us know!

Randi
03-12-2003, 04:01 PM
Here's the link to that site, Zippy. ;)

http://www.100topcat.com/

zippy-kat
03-12-2003, 04:12 PM
That's not the one, Randi -- but what a neat link!!

This was an actual book... and encompassed more than cats. I saw it in Hastings and then again in Barnes & Nobles.

Paul
03-12-2003, 05:05 PM
   Popcornbird, when you click on a link some web browsers send the URL you clicked on to the new website.

Paul

popcornbird
03-12-2003, 05:07 PM
Oh I see. I normally search instead on typing the address. Don't ask me? I don't know why. :rolleyes: Just a habit. LOL

marysmerrycats
03-12-2003, 06:26 PM
Karen & Paul

If I find out or hear anything I will let you know, but, I wonder, could you do news search and type in pet of the day? I know you said it is an offline source but you never know, maybe it will be mentioned anyway, so you could find the source?

popcornbird
03-12-2003, 06:33 PM
I searched and found nothing. I don't know if many sites are chosen to be on the news, so if PT ever gets that honor, that would be SO cool! (Of course PT definitely deserves that honor!) :p Maybe it was just a coincidence and lots of people were searching for a pet site..................or maybe some pt'ers were referring the site to their friends and they decided to check it out! LOL! Maybe we can ask BigScot who just joined why he searched for PT. :confused:

furfinfeatherbabies
03-12-2003, 06:35 PM
I found out about Pet of the Day through a magazine.

I was at my mom and dad's house and hanging out with my lil sister and we were looking through a stack of old AMERICAN GIRL magazines and in their "All Pets Issue" they had a small article about cool pet websites and Pet of the Day was listed as one!

-Allie

iceyshiver21
03-12-2003, 06:41 PM
I have it on my website but, i know thats not where there finding it although i knida wish my site where this popular Hehehehe :p
I can look..

*LabLoverKEB*
03-12-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by furfinfeatherbabies
I found out about Pet of the Day through a magazine.

I was at my mom and dad's house and hanging out with my lil sister and we were looking through a stack of old AMERICAN GIRL magazines and in their "All Pets Issue" they had a small article about cool pet websites and Pet of the Day was listed as one!

-Allie

That's exactley where I found this site!:) ;)

zippy-kat
03-12-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird
I doubt pt would be on the news

I think that's a bit offensive.

My mom first heard about pet talk through one of the 'bigger' morning shows -- "Good Morning America," I believe. No, it wasn't a breaking headline but still... they throw in fun stuff every once in awhile. :)

Brie
03-12-2003, 11:44 PM
I know I followed a link here from another message board about a month ago. The dog of the day was a really cute puppy. A boxer who's owner was jogging him several miles a day. There was a huge uproar on the other messageboard about that, so I came to see what it was all about.

www.craigslist.org <<-- they have a great pet section (two different area's)... be warned if you mention breeding our buying from a breeder, you'll get your head bitten off. :rolleyes:

zippy-kat
03-12-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by popcornbird

I don't see how you saw it offensive if you real the whole sentence.

Ok, maybe offensive wasn't the word I was looking for.. perhaps blunt and limited are better word choices.

I'm not suggesting you meant malice, PCB but it was rather...well,
in my interpretation, I took it to be sorta rude. Lots of sites make the news -granted more are geared towards medicine, engineering, etc. Personally, I'd welcome a lighthearted site to be featured amongst the gloomy war-heavy news.

I wouldn't worry about it, it was just my interpretation of your post--others might not have read it that way. :)

marysmerrycats
03-13-2003, 02:27 AM
so the mystery continues...

several months ago, under the name toughCookie I posted a thread, titled how did you hear about pettalk? or something like that, can't remember the exact words, but when I did a search for it I could not find it...does anyone remember that thread?
maybe we could get that going again for the newer members?

Barbara
03-13-2003, 02:58 AM
In Germany there has been published a book about cat websites, about 2 years ago. Catoftheday was in there and this is how I learned.

Randi
03-13-2003, 03:46 AM
Is this the thread you mean, Marysmerrycats?

How did you find Pet Talk (http://64.246.0.213/talk/showthread.php?threadid=8081&highlight=find+pet+talk)

ParNone
03-13-2003, 05:33 AM
I got this in my email yesterday from "TheStraightPoop":

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
THE STRAIGHT POOP ®
Your Free Weekly Guide to the Best of the Web about Dogs
©2003 Dog Breeders Online Directory, Inc.

IN THIS ISSUE Number 149 March 8,

1. The Straight Poop Featured Web Site
2. The Straight Poop about Dog Health & Nutrition
3. The Straight Poop about Dog Activities and Training
4. The Straight Poop guide to Dogs in the News
5. The Straight Poop Featured Dog Humor
6. The Straight Poop Featured Dog Video
7. The Straight Poop Featured Rescue or Assistance Site

11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 111111111111111111111111

The Straight Poop FEATURED WEB SITE

Want to see a fabulous collection of dog pictures? Go to Dog of the
Day,
click on "Previous Dogs", and then click on "By Image" for any month
you
choose. You'll see 30 or so thumbnails, and clicking on any of them
gives
you a full size picture and the dog's story. Lots of fun to visit.

Link: <http://www.dogoftheday.com/>
AOL: <a href="http://www.dogoftheday.com/">Fetch Link</a>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's an eList and looks like I got subscribed to it, just by
researching dog breeds at Breeders.Net.

Par...

Vio&Juni
03-13-2003, 06:36 AM
Well, I found it by typing cat and click search through Yahoo. I loved it and I guess many found it this way too.
I am also VERY curious to know the answer.

Jessica12345
03-13-2003, 09:16 AM
I have seen it on many websites about peoples pets. They ussually have it on their site because their pet was once POTD.:) I had been coming to the DOTD part, but i never really noticed the pet talk part! :eek: lol :p

ramanth
03-13-2003, 10:10 AM
I have a link at Kia's site to Pet Talk and Dog of the Day. :)

If you are recognized at a high traffic website or in a magazine.. congrats!

Corinna
03-13-2003, 10:26 AM
I found it a couple years ago through a link from ART BELL . It was one of his daily links. peeked in for a year before I regestered.

marysmerrycats
03-13-2003, 11:35 AM
Randi
no that is a poll done by casper and kitty. but thanks.
am I crazy? I know I started the thread...?

catland
03-13-2003, 11:48 AM
Looks like Parnone has the best lead yet on this mystery.

Paul, do you know if the dog sites were in more demand yesterday?

Nomilynn
03-13-2003, 12:38 PM
Mary - I remember your thread too, and I've also searched, and can't find it. So if you are crazy, so am I!! :D

lynnestankard
03-13-2003, 12:42 PM
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10197&highlight=How+did+you+find+Pet+Talk]

Mary - is this it?

Lynne

marysmerrycats
03-13-2003, 01:48 PM
Lynne
no thats not it either. but thank you ! I pm'd Paul about it, anyway its no big deal, I just thought it would maybe solve the mystery. but sounds like Parnone might have...

Naomi
thanks, at least I know I didn't dream it now LOL!