PDA

View Full Version : that was what?

RICHARD
03-12-2003, 11:42 AM
o.k.,
now that we figured out that we make mistakes in OUR kitchens-
it's time to share your stories on the 'weirdest thing i have ever
eaten'

you remember that wonderful day on vacation, doing 'as the Romans do' when you stop for a bite to eat, order the local delicacy and find out that it's _________.

(you don't have to be on vacation.....it could have been that school friend that invited you over for some home cooking-that
dish that you couldn't pronounce- that you ate to be polite....)

All Creatures Great And Small
03-12-2003, 11:50 AM
When I went to visit my sister in England, she invited my husband and I to come along with her to a semi-formal dinner at her college. The planned menu was some sort of chicken dish, and she assured us that these meals were usually really delicious and reasonably priced (which in England is a rarity). Well, about halfway through serving, the kitchen realizes they are running out of chicken, so they slapped together something at the last minute for the last of us to be served. This dish comes to the table filled with what looked like spaghetti sauce and these grayish black, rubbery things in the sauce. I asked the server what it was, and she said "cuttlefish". Well, I had to be brave and try it, but I could NOT gag down these pieces of "fish" - they tasted like old sea water and had the consistency of rubber tires. Turns out "cuttlefish" is their quaint term for SQUID. I am not a huge seafood lover in the first place, I'm a fairly picky eater,
so I went hungry that night - I was looking around the table to see if anybody had a dinner roll they didn't finish :D

I almost never find myself in weird food situations, because I am so picky and paranoid about food! I'm one of those who always has a contingency plan of backup food :D

zippy-kat
03-12-2003, 11:58 AM
My first thought was school/caffeteria food! :eek:
I've ate shark before...don't like it but then again, I'm a pretty picky eater.

My number one 'food' pet-peeve is letting your fork/spoon/knife touch the table (at restuarants, etc). That is just soooo grossssss to me! They don't do anything but SWIPE the table with a cloth... now how many germs have you just exposed that fork too? *shudders* (can we say obsessive/compulsive? or maybe that just anal retentative! lol)

Tanya&Fritz
03-12-2003, 12:00 PM
Goat's intestines :D

Barbara
03-12-2003, 12:11 PM
Sliced raw sea cucumbers in Singapore.

Fishhead curry in Singapore.

Turtles in Singapore (I did not even go in the restaurant where they had only turtle dishes. And live turtles that would be killed for them.)

(BTW I love Singapore cuisine...for 99,9 percent of it I forget all other cuisines).

Cooked calf's foot (a wabbling mass of bone and jelly) in France.

Raw sundried fish in Indonesia.

wolflady
03-12-2003, 12:12 PM
LOL LOL Interesting topic!

I'll admit, I'm a pretty adventureous eater. I'll try just about anything.
Shark is actually pretty good...it's not fishy and has a similar consistancy to pork chops. Swordfish is quite good, and yes, I've even had alligator. Of course it was fried...so that pretty much must deaden any taste it must have had! :rolleyes: LOL LOL

OK, but who really likes haggis?? :eek: Really? Don't be shy! LOL Yuk!! LOL LOL :p

Here is a funny from when my sisters and I were little though...
Growing up with my 2 older sisters, we had a dog named Misty. Well, Misty would always go nuts for her jerky treats. I mean, they look like beef jerky that people eat, so my sisters and I thought it would be a good :eek: idea to try one. We tried the milkbones too...because Misty just went crazy for them and we wanted to know why! Yuk...it was mighty dry and really didn't have much taste! :o Has anyone else dared to try their dog/cat treats?? :o
When my husband was in the air force, he was over at one of his buddy's places and they had beef jerky. They gave him a piece and he ate it...not really thinking much of it, other than it seemed a little more dry than normal. Turns out it was the dog's beef jerky! LOL He ate several pieces! :eek: LOL LOL

TheAntiPam
03-12-2003, 12:17 PM
I'm not particularly adventurous either when it comes to food - but I always think "Who was the first brave person that ate this?" or "Who had the idea to cook this thing?"

I'm glad I wasn't around for the invention of lots of dishes!!! :eek: :eek:

RICHARD
03-12-2003, 12:28 PM
turtle soup in mexico

cow tongue at a 'friend's house'- would you like to stay for dinner? yeah, let me call my mom....

the worst part was sitting down and having the tongue plated up in front of you.....i love the rule that says, 'the guest should get the first serving......"

Brain tacos.
dad come home from a party with tacos that taste pretty good.
the meat is a bit like liver, but tasty none the less..

the worst part is that the 'meat' was bad.....i would have never known that they were 'brains' for the simple fact that both my dad and i got totally sick from the experience-he went to the hospital, i went crazy. lol!:eek:

Barbara
03-12-2003, 02:18 PM
Last year they published a cookbook here: All the recipes were on the basis of cat food and cat treats. And it was only semi-ironic. They said: Try it and your guests won't be aware.
I never tried. Filou would say: Now if you eat my food I absolutely must have yours!

Logan
03-12-2003, 02:26 PM
Baked Rattlesnake!!! It was just a taste.....I was a camper and my counselor offered it to me. I was too young to know better! :p

03-12-2003, 02:35 PM
This story is still being told to everybody in our family who plans a trip to the USA :rolleyes: :D ! It really happened to us !!

In 1983 , my husband got the chance to come and work at the American devision of his work . He got the chance to come to the St.Louis - devision for almost 2 years ! ( he works at PriceWaterhouseCoopers , but in '83 , it was still Deloitte Haskins & Sells) .

So ,before we took of to St.Louis , we made a trip on the East coast of the USA . It started at Boston . After visiting Harvard University , we were really hungry . So we decided to eat a pizza . We went into a pizzeria and ordered two "large" pizza's . The man behind the corner looked at us as if we were nuts , but didn't tell us why . Then they brought us the pizza's ..:eek: :eek:
They were HUGE !! The diameter was at least 60 cm !! They almost didn't fit on our table !! At first we panicked , but then we noticed a bin just behing my hubby's chair . So we started eating ! The employees kept watching us and laughing about "how will those guys eat that much pizza ??" .
Ha ha , we really had them !! everytime we noticed that noweone was watching us , we threw a few pieces in the bin . After 20 minutes , all the pizza was gone !!
OH my , you should have seen the look on their faces when they noticed we had "eaten" it all !!! :D :D :D

Edwina's Secretary
03-12-2003, 02:48 PM
I will try almost anything, I've had goat, fish cheeks, squid, eel, kidneys, even haggis. But the most....shall we say notable.... was last year in France.

It was late at night, we had had a long day, trouble finding our B&B, etc. We went to a restaurant in the neighborhood. I asked the waitress if she spoke English. She said "a little." It was pretty obvious those two words about covered her English vocabulary. Lamb was on the menu -- I adore lamb. So I ordered it even though I had no idea of the preparation.

She presented my plate and took off the dome. Oh my. The smell...the sight. After a long pause in the conversation there was discussion around the table -- brain or intestine??? All I knew was there was an anus on my plate.

The waitress came up with her other two words of English..."No like?" Well...no naive, unpolished American for me! With tears in my eyes I choked down a few bites of ....sheep tripe.

Daisylover
03-12-2003, 02:55 PM
For some reason I can't remember now I tried blood sausage while on a trip in York, UK....... Now I wonder what the heck was I thinking?!?!?!?!!!!!! ;)

RICHARD
03-12-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
All I knew was there was an anus on my plate.

The waitress came up with her other two words of English..."No like?" Well...no naive, unpolished American for me! With tears in my eyes I choked down a few bites of ....sheep tripe.

tripe is stomach, pretty 'close' to anus, but not quite.
then again, being in france is pretty close to being on FEAR FACTOR, so........

a fantastic Mexican soup, made from tripe, is menudo.

which is quite funny because the boy band named Menudo
was tripe...
go figure....

Edwina's Secretary
03-12-2003, 03:33 PM
Lut...your story of large reminds me of when I was at college. I was very, very thin and didn't eat very often (too lazy!) but when I did....

Once in a while I would go to the Union for these donuts. Very like Krispy Cremes today. I would buy six donuts and two cartons of milk.

One day I realized these two men in suits were laughing at me and betting. They took a table by me and watched. One was sure I was meeting someone.

He lost as I proceeded to eat all six donuts and drink both cartons of milk!

Wish I could still do that today!

jenluckenbach
03-12-2003, 03:39 PM
I think I am going to be ILL. (Too bad there isn't a GREEN smiley)

Desert Arabian
03-12-2003, 03:44 PM
Some kind of odd things I have eaten: (It's nowhere near as sick as intestine, brain, or squid.)

Snapping turtle soup
Raccoon
Coyote
Bear
Elk
Buffalo
Earthworm/Nightcrawler (friend dared me to eat one)
Rabbit
Squirrel

Nothing too icky....

Turns out "cuttlefish" is their quaint term for SQUID.
:confused: Cuttlefish and Squid are two entire different species, Ma.:confused:

Cincy'sMom
03-12-2003, 03:54 PM
I like to try the most unusual thing on the menu when we go out to eat. I don't know that anything I've tried is too far out there, but I've tried Alligator, Ostrich, Quail, Squid, etc.

One of my favorite, lunch sandwhich that I also get strange looks for is grilled cheese and Peanut butter. Another favorite of both Ralph and I is Peanut Butter and Jelly Pizza :)

zippy-kat
03-12-2003, 04:04 PM
This reminds me of a story Zippy's Mother should tell as it happened to her....

:D Our family had gone to dinner. Dad and I had ordered a side of popcorn shrimp to split... Dinner came & went but the plates remained. The waitress brought dessert. (but wouldn't take any of our plates for some reason?! lol) Mom --who had ordered apple pie/ice cream-- took my sis (still fairly young at the time) to 'powder her nose.'

I was just sittin' there mindin' my own bizniz when I spotted it.... :D

Mom returned to her place, scooped a bite (of course I'm snickering at this point). Mom, chews... then promptly spits it out into her napkin!!

I had laced her pie w/ shrimp! So I'm bettin' mom's answer would be shrimp 'n vanilla bean ice cream!

(*picks halo up off of floor* I couldn't help it... it matched perfectly...same color.... same texture... and dad was there...he helped! so much for grown-ups bein' role models! lol)

Desert Arabian
03-12-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Cincy'sMom
One of my favorite, lunch sandwhich that I also get strange looks for is grilled cheese and Peanut butter. Another favorite of both Ralph and I is Peanut Butter and Jelly Pizza :)

There was a girl at Camp last summer who loved honey, peanut butter, and ketchup sandwhiches. :Running to the bathroom:

Speaking of ketchup, when I was little I used to mix ketchup in with my mac n' chesse. So nasty when I think back on it now.

Miss Meow
03-12-2003, 05:50 PM
I am relative unadventurous compared to the rest of you :), but my friend Kiwi Rob has been doing a lot of travel to China recently and is moving there soon. I asked him about his culinary experiences:
-------------------------------
Peking Duck, Steamed water cress and pine nuts, Huanan pidgeon, Xi'Ian chilli yabbies, deep fried whole fish in blackbean sauce, dog and honey sausage, goose feet, baked chilli fish with pepper corns and noodle soup.

That be the good stuff! Many amounts of not so good stuff that the locals keep forcing upon you like, Ducks brains, goose liver (raw), fish eyes steamed, marinated tripe (raw again), clear fish soup, milk that is brown in colour, coffee' made from the brown milk, the local yoghurt and skewered lambs testicles.

That be the bad stuff.

RICHARD
03-12-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Miss Meow
skewered lambs testicles.

That be the bad stuff.

now, if you can tell me anything GOOD about skewering lamb testicles :eek: i'll put china on my "to-go-to" list. until then,
it's on my 'do later' list.........;)

slick
03-12-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Miss Meow
skewered lambs testicles.

MMMM MMMMM!! Admit it, you gotta have balls to eat that stuff!!! :D :D

weiner_teddy
03-12-2003, 06:18 PM
I was recently on vacation to the Dominican Republic and we went to go eat at the buffet they had there. It had so many different choices, so I took these one noodle looking things and I ate some, they tasted a little fishy to me, so when someone finally told me, I had eaten squid!!!:eek: YUCKY!!!:(

Miss Meow
03-12-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD
now, if you can tell me anything GOOD about skewering lamb testicles :eek: i'll put china on my "to-go-to" list. until then,
it's on my 'do later' list.........;)

I've already asked Rob to do cancel the China project and take a project in Tuscany, Spain, Northern India, somewhere, anywhere with different food!!! Then I MAY visit :)

wolflady
03-12-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
I think I am going to be ILL. (Too bad there isn't a GREEN smiley)

http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/sick.gif

LOL LOL ;)

wolflady
03-12-2003, 06:25 PM
http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/sick.gif

Since we're on the topic of strange food, I just had to include this very funny article from The Wave. It's a little long, but definitely worth the read! I was crying from laughing so hard at some of these descriptions! :D
This is just for fun, and not to offend anyone...

The Mission:
The Bay Area is home to people of all races, creeds and colors. This can present cultural challenges as well as rewards for each of us. But this much is true: One thing and one thing only unites us as world citizens—the pursuit of snack.

To understand a people's snack is to understand their way of life, if not the very fiber of their culture. The world of snack is vast as the firmament above, but our mission as Ambassadors of Snack had to begin somewhere, and that somewhere was the tranquil blue seas of the Pacific Rim. However, we had, like, fifty bucks, so we settled for Chinatown and Japantown. This is a document of our journey into greater cultural understanding. And by that we mean HORRIFYING DESCENT INTO MADNESS!

The Journey:
Our first challenge was acquisition of snack. You would think that, as Ambassadors of Snack, we would be welcomed with open door. You would be wrong. We felt regarded with suspicion and hostility. Our requests to photograph our journey were met with requests to leave immediately. We assumed that this must have been because every store we went to was involved in the illegal sale of the glands of endangered species for the purpose of giving people boners. Or not. We'll never really know. We don't speak any Asian languages. This is probably why we flunked Regular Ambassador School. Had we studied harder we would have realized that this perceived hostility was actually a warning...

The First Law of Snack requires that snack be consumed with drink. To comply, we bought a bottle of something from a Chinatown liquor store. It came in a green bottle and was pretty much the only thing the guy behind the counter would let us buy. Everything else we brought to the counter got taken away from us. This was not rude behavior, but rather an attempt to prevent us from making a horrible mistake.

Fifty bucks buys a lot of snack, and that's not necessarily a good thing. We took about a thousand pages of notes. For your convenience we've condensed our research into the following categories: Item Name, Country of Origin, Fish Based, Inscrutability Quotient, Looks Like, Tastes Like, Fear Factor and Research Comments.

Here are the Snacks, in the order that they were tasted:

Item Name: Kasugai Peanuts and You
Country of Origin: Japan
Fish Based: Yes
Inscrutability Quotient: Mild
Looks Like: Kix cereal
Tastes Like: Slightly shrimp-like Kix Cereal
Fear Factor: Low
Research Comments: Despite the
promises made by the package, there wasn't a drop of you in this stuff. A lawsuit is pending.

Item Name: Fragrant Limp Fish
Country of Origin: China
Fish Based: You bet!
Inscrutability Quotient:
Most inscrutable
Looks Like: Tiny, oily fish
Tastes Like: Tiny, oily, salty fish
Fear Factor: More than a little scared
Research Comments: Despite its tiny, oily, fishy nature, not entirely unpleasant.

Item Name: Prepared Poly Fish
Fish Based: Hell yes!
Inscrutability Quotient: Quite suspicious
Looks Like: Sesame fish cracker
Tastes Like: Satan's wrath
Fear Factor: This terrorized our minds.
Research Comments: Gaze not into the abyss, lest the abyss gaze into thee. Nothing could prepare you for prepared poly fish. Stay away.

Item Name: Selected Food (Yes, this is really the name. There wasn't even a list of contents. No clues. Nothing. Unless you count the +2 dragon of a** kicking on the package.)
Country of Origin: Probably China, as China is known for its a**-kicking dragons.
Fish Based: Unknown
Inscrutability Quotient: Very, very mysterious
Looks Like: (Evil) dinosaur brain
Tastes Like: Incense
Fear Factor: Been more frightened
Research Comments: Immediate taste evaluation ranged from ''cardamom and doom'' to ''pipe tobacco'' to ''wet dog''. Serve at your next not-fun-bad-tasting-things-party.

Item Name: Kaisen Hamburger
Country of Origin: Thailand (Although packaged in Japan. Makes you wonder...)
Fish Based: Depends on whether or not ''bream'' is a fish. (Didn't do so well in ichthyology school either.)
Inscrutability Quotient: Incredibly crafty
Looks Like: Crème brulee...
of death!!
Tastes Like: Fish hamburger...
of death!!
Fear Factor: None
Research Comments: Do any of you know if bream is some kind of fish?

Item Name: Selected Food #2
Fish Based: Unknown
Inscrutability Quotient: Guilty until proven innocent
Looks Like: Salted ginger
Tastes Like: Salted a**
Fear Factor: Please hold me
Research Comments: Finally, a snack with the pleasant smell of industrial cleaner, that also sucks all the moisture out of your mouth!

Item Name: Winner Mountain
Luncheon Meat
Country of Origin: Holland. (We were deceived by the Chinese look of the wrapper .)
Fish Based: Not that we're aware of
Inscrutability Quotient: Treacherously deceptive
Looks Like: Cat food
Tastes Like: Pork-based cat food
Fear Factor: None. Cat food is familiar, comforting, even
Research Comments: Why a Chinese snack food sold in Japantown was made in Holland will forever boggle the mind.

Item Name: Say Natural! Roasted Crabs
Inscrutability Quotient: Moderately diabolical
Looks Like: Sesame-coated miniature crabs
Tastes Like: Stale, dead miniature crabs
Fear Factor: Rhymes with scary
Research Comments: Maybe you're not supposed to eat it, like, it might just be decorative or something.

Item Name: Camembert
Inscrutability Quotient: Shady
Looks Like: String cheese
Tastes Like: Jarlsberg that's a little bit off
Fear Factor: Mild
Research Comments: If you've ever eaten cheese and thought, ''This is pretty good, but man, could it use a thin layer of cod!'' consider your prayers answered.

Item Name: Makanan Kering ''Dried Food''
Fish Based: Probably not
Inscrutability Quotient: Abomination
Looks Like: Matchsticks
Tastes Like: Wood
Fear Factor: Initially negligible
Research Comments: The reason this stuff tastes like wood is because it IS wood! That's right, it's f*cking wood! Somebody in China is packaging kindling as FOOD! No kidding.

Item Name: Almond Fish
Country of Origin: Taiwan
Fish Based: Yes (!)
Inscrutability Quotient: The motivations behind this sort of thing are incomprehensible.
Looks Like: Dried minnows and almond slivers
Tastes Like: Lake Michigan
Fear Factor: What have I done to deserve this?
Research Comments: Would rather eat wood.

Item Name: Selected Food #3
Fish Based: No
Inscrutability Quotient: See selected food #2
Looks Like: Selected Food #2
Tastes Like: Selected Food #2 with sulfur
Fear Factor: After Selected Food #2, fear is relevant
Research Comments: Smells of liver and ginger. Tastes like fireworks, but not in a good way. High probability that it actually IS dragon.

Item Name: Instant Natural Jellyfish
Inscrutability Quotient: Very inscrutable
Looks Like: Entrails
Tastes Like: Seaweed salad.
Fear Factor: May NOT pee in pants
Research Comments: The front of this package features a friendly pink jellyfish. He's licking his lips in delightful anticipation of eating his brethren, or perhaps even himself. We don't even want to know what's going on over there.

Item Name: ''Medicinal'' Stew
Country of Origin: Mostly China
Fish Based: In a manner of speaking
Inscrutability Quotient: So inscrutable that we're not really comfortable discussing how inscrutable it is.
Looks Like: A very fatty broth with chunks of luncheon meat, cubed prunes and a dried seahorse garnished with wood.
Tastes Like: See above.
Fear Factor: Death would be a release.
Research Comments: We brewed this ourselves after getting the recipe from a meterman in Chinatown. In China all metermen are actually doctors. You probably didn't know that. That's why you're not an Ambassador of Snack. Only one of us actually tried the broth. He was curiously silent for a long time before saying, ''It is by sheer force of will that I am not vomiting right now.''

Item Name: Cream Collon
Inscrutability Quotient: ''With a name like 'Cream Collon' it's got to be inscrutable!™''
Looks Like: A cross section of a colon
Tastes Like: A mini eclair
Fear Factor: Surprisingly low
Research Comments: The first good thing we tasted all night. We fought for the bag, as it was the only thing restoring our will to live.

Item Name: Lao Xiang Huang
Inscrutability Quotient: Way inscrutable
Looks Like: Foil-wrapped cylinders
Tastes Like: Tamarind fury. Someone's gone too far.
Fear Factor: Creates a morbid interest in your immediate fate
Research Comments: Approached with caution as we read the packaging: ''In all the foods you seleit, [sic] she...'' She what?! Went crazy? Had the flesh flayed from her bones? Engaged in unholy congress with Cthulhu? No matter, as soon we would know and indeed share her fate.

Item Name: Fran
Inscrutability Quotient: How could something named ''Fran'' be inscrutable?
Looks Like: Pocky
Tastes Like: Strawberry Quik on a stick. Hey! That rhymes!
Fear Factor: How could we be afraid of something named Fran? (This kind of attitude will invariably lead to a terrible end).
Research Comments: In a word, Frantastic.

Item Name: Kiss Mint For Etiquette
Inscrutability Quotient: More like curious.
Looks Like: Gum
Tastes Like: What you would get by mixing BENGAY and suntan lotion with Juicy Fruit
Fear Factor: Maybe. If you're a total WUSS!
Research Comments: The packaging contained a sticker with a picture of a friendly dolphin. The accompanying text implored us to ''Take it easy with the animal healing.''

Item Name: Chelsea Yogurt Scotch
Inscrutability Quotient: Very. Yogurt and scotch together?
Looks Like: Neither scotch nor yogurt.
Tastes Like: See above.
Fear Factor: More incredulous than fearful.
Research Comments: The packaging read: ''Chelsea is the candy with traditional Scottish flavor. Please enjoy its superior taste.'' We didn't even know the Scots were so crazy about yogurt. Thanks to the fine folks at Meiji, we've done a lot of growing up today.

Item Name: Prune Candies
Country of Origin: China-ish
Fish Based: No...?
Inscrutability: High
Looks Like: Dog treats. Or maybe hashish
Tastes Like: Something you would eat after you had smoked so much hash that you ate everything in the house, and you had just finished the last of the dog treats.
Fear Factor: Much, much lower than it should have been.
Research Comments: I'm going to go out and make an enemy just so I can somehow trick him into eating this.

Item Name: Happy Easy Going
Inscrutability Quotient: Mildly terrifying
Looks Like: Foil-wrapped coffee stirrers
Tastes Like: Every other piece of foil-wrapped bullsh*t we've forced ourselves to eat during this project.
Fear Factor: Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to fish products.
Research Comments: You should be suspicious of packaging that requires tools to open.

Item Name: Happy Yellow Creature Snack (Our translation)
Inscrutability Quotient: Shut up. Just shut up.
Looks Like: Some kind of screwed up Asian biscuit.
Tastes Like: Salty, sweet, vaguely Cap'n Crunch-like
Fear Factor: What is fear?
Research Comments: High probability that this is Cap'n Crunch's evil twin. Must get message to Cap'n Crunch!

Item Name: UHA
Fish Based: No, although the cartoon character on the package is sporting scuba gear.
Inscrutability Quotient: Very high, as the package gives you no clue as to what's inside and the name is the sound one makes when punched in the stomach.
Looks Like: Frosted gum drops
Tastes Like: The sourest thing in the entire world
Fear Factor: None. Scuba diving gumdrops are fun.
Research Comments: Seemingly harmless, this was the only thing that actually got spit out.

Item Name: Disco Robot Snack
(Our translation)
Country of Origin: Japan (where else?)
Inscrutability Quotient: High. The inconsiderate ba***rds didn't put a word of English on the entire package! Who do they think they're dealing with?
Looks Like: A small package of M&Ms. And a disco robot.
Tastes Like: M&Ms (We didn't eat the disco robot).
Fear Factor: None. At worst, this candy was going to turn us IN to disco robots, which is something we'd been trying to achieve anyway.
Research Comments: ''Domo arogato disco roboto''

Item Name: Disco Robot Snack #2
Country of Origin: Japan (duh)
Inscrutability Quotient: See Disco Robot Snack #1
Looks Like: A totally a**-kicking disco robot™ with Pez pellets
Tastes Like: Bad Pez. But the disco robot kicked a**.
Fear Factor: High. THIS disco robot had obviously come to eat Pez and kick a**, and we'd just eaten all his Pez.
Research Comments: I AM DISCO ROBOT #2 SURRENDER YOUR PEZ OR GET YOUR A** KICKED.

Item Name: Carbonated Ramune Drink
Inscrutability Quotient: High. We don't speak Japanese and therefore had no idea what Ramune is.
Looks Like: A large Roll-On applicator
Tastes Like: Flat 7-UP
Fear Factor: Extreme. Considering the difficulty we had opening the bottle, we were pretty sure it was going to either explode or kill us.
Research Comments:Finally getting this bottle open was a high point in our careers as snack ambassadors. It took about an hour. We don't want to give it away, but the trick involved getting the glass marble to drop in to the bottle. (Note: Smashing the bottle is cheating.)

Item Name: Pocari Sweat
Country of Origin: Indonesia
Inscrutability Quotient: Ominous
Looks Like: Generic Pepsi can
Tastes Like: Sweat (not ''sweet'')
Fear Factor: None at all. Really. We've been waiting our entire lives to drink sweat from a can. We only regret that more of our friends couldn't be here to drink sweat with us.

Research Comments: Aaagh!!
Most of the things we ate were god awful. All of us got sick, some of us worse than others. Through these shared hardships, friendships were damaged, probably irreparably. But friendships come and go. The saddest thing is that as Ambassadors of Snack, we ultimately failed. We had set out to achieve greater cultural understanding, peace and harmony through snack. In the end, we merely confirmed whatever snack prejudices we already secretly held.

LOL LOL ;)

jenluckenbach
03-12-2003, 07:34 PM
http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/sick.gifhttp://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/sick.gif http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/sick.gif http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/sick.gif http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/sick.gif http://pages.prodigy.net/rogerlori1/emoticons/sick.gif