PDA

View Full Version : What happens when a dog eats chocolate??

purrfectpaws
12-07-2001, 05:16 PM
Hey you guys, came home from doing some christmas shopping and LuLu got into some chocolate candy bars. In addition to doing the pet mats I am also a dealer for Cherubs-N-Chocolate and I do the personalized candy bars, like for birth announcements, etc. Well I have about 50 bars for when I do shows and stuff and she must have pried open the box and ate about 4 or 5 candy bars. All milk chocolate (Hersheys). So now what!!! I really can't tell but I could put together 3 wrappers and I don't know if there was more. What a little stinker. I swear her stomach is made of steel but I don't know what to do now. Wait and see what happens ??? Her stomach looks a bit distended!!! What do I do???

tatsxxx11
12-07-2001, 05:26 PM
Call the vet immediately!!!! Especially if you think her stomach looks distended! How much does she weigh? Milk choc. is the least toxic of all types, baking the worst. I think the literature states that it takes a lb. of choc. to seriously make ill a 50 lb. dog. But DO NOT please, take any chances. Call the vet or the emergency poison hot line for animals NOW!! Souraya just went through this recently. I'm going to try and find the post, as well as the phone number to the poison hot line. Please call!! Here's the Natl. Animal Poison Hotline Number...Non-Member Number 1-888-232-8870

[ December 07, 2001: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]

Gepansy
12-07-2001, 05:31 PM
You should call the vet A.S.A.P.
I have heard that it only takes a certain amount of chocolate to kill dogs and/or cats.
But I'm not sure the amount of time it takes.

Karen
12-07-2001, 05:43 PM
I hope by now you're at the vet. If she isn't throwing up, she should be! Hope all is well by the time we hear from you again!

zippy-kat
12-07-2001, 06:15 PM
Crossing my fingers and sayin' a prayer that LuLu is going to be ok!

lbaker
12-08-2001, 07:39 AM
Back in the 70's my mom made some reefer brownies for some of my musician friends and my not very smart Irish Setter (is there any such thing as a SMART Irish Setter :rolleyes :) climbed up on the dining room table and ate them all....I totally freaked and called the vet RIGHT AWAY. Turned out OK, luck of the draw :confused: an angel :confused: hope things are OK now with this dear. NEVER leave "no-no's" on counters or such...is LuLu OK now :(
laurie

tatsxxx11
12-08-2001, 07:45 AM
I'm very worried about LuLu! Hoping that no news, is good news. Please update us! Paws crossed!!!

jackiesdaisy1935
12-08-2001, 09:09 AM
Oh Carla, I hope LULU is O.K., just by chance I just posted an article about pets and chocolate on my community, it says to call the Vet, then induce vomiting if he tells you to do so. Please, please let us know how she is.
Jackie

*LabLoverKEB*
12-08-2001, 02:19 PM
Oh Carla!!! How awful! Poor LuLu! I hope she's ok!!! I would call the Vet!!

Sadie once got into some of those Dove Chocolates... thank goodness, she was ok!

Hugs and kisses,
Sarah & Sadie*

purrfectpaws
12-08-2001, 10:16 PM
Oh my gosh,
I am so sorry for not getting back to you all sooner. No news is good news, right? Yes, LuLu is alright and she is doing just fine. She has not thrown up at all and her tummy is normal. Whewwwww.....got a scare there for a minute. Thanks for all of you for responding so quick and shame on me for not getting back sooner to all of my pettalk buddies. LuLu is in the clear!! Thanks for crossing your paws.
I told you she has a stomach of steel.
Carla

delidog
12-09-2001, 06:30 AM
sorry that i did not see this sooner...but i am so glad that lulu is o.k...all our pet talk friends had great response...chocolate is bad...i hope that you have hidden all your goodies by now!!!! the deli dog

purrfectpaws
12-09-2001, 10:47 PM
Actually, LuLu got into this box that was in my closet and pried open the smaller box that had the chocolates in them. Not only does she have a great nose but a stomach of steel.
I have heard that is does take quite a bit of chocolate to make them sick but I have fixed that problem and moved the candy way up high on the shelf.
Thanks again to all of you that responded. It feels so nice to have you all care.
Carla