PDA

View Full Version : Heyoka the wonder dog

Glacier
03-11-2003, 05:21 PM
I am begining to think that the smartest thing we ever did was adopt Heyoka!

Heyoka has been here since just before Christmas. His first day here, he decided that Kayleigh was going to be his buddy. Kayleigh is a mal-mix who has always had to live on her own here as she is dog aggressive and food protective. The vet bills were out of control so Kayleigh got her own space. Heyoka goes to visit her every chance he gets. Now when Kayleigh sees him coming, she play bows and woos. They spend hours wrestling and playing. She has never growled at him, there has never been so much as a bared tooth. In the spring we plan to build them a divided pen--divided for when Kayleigh is eating and open at other times so they can play.

Now in the last week, Heyoka has made Bandit his new project. Bandit is a siberian who's been with us for 18 months. We are this fourth home, the others were all abusive to him. Bandit has always been alone and not terribly well socialized to other dogs. He just doesn't speak dog well. He tries to play and comes across as aggression to the others and he gets beat up. Bandit spends his days on a trolley tie-out where he can see the other dogs, but can't get hurt. I am not working this week so I have been outside spending lots of extra time with the dogs. At least three days in row now, Heyoka has been playing with Bandit--real playing, wrestling, running, wooing. It's freaking adorable! I've never seen Bandit play with another dog like this.

Add to all that, Heyoka came here knowing his basic obedience commands & housetrained, he is cat tolerant and reliable off leash. How someone else could have let him go is beyond me, but we will be forever grateful to the softhearted by-law officer who just couldn't put him down. (He was three weeks past his euth date when we got him!)

ChrisH
03-11-2003, 05:54 PM
What a wonderful story! What a wonderful dog! Please give Heyoka a big huggyhug from me!:)

Chris

KYS
03-11-2003, 07:45 PM
I agree, what a wonderful heart warming story.
I can see why you are so blessed that Heyoka
came into your life.

micki76
03-11-2003, 09:03 PM
There are guardian angels in all kinds of forms for all kinds of creatures. I think you have one there. Great big hugs to Heyoka!!:)

ramanth
03-12-2003, 09:57 AM
WAY TO GO HEYOKA!!!!

Definately a dream come true. :D

Pics I say! Pics! :D ;)

robinh
03-12-2003, 11:21 AM
My thought or first impression is - Heyoka knows where home is! :D How wonderful for both of you!

Some dogs can't be trained by one person, but learn every command without trying from someone else. I think they get a connection or bond that just works!

Would love to see pictures of him alone or with Kayleigh or Bandit. He sounds like a great dog!

primabella
03-12-2003, 02:25 PM
give heyoka a hug from me! what a cutie :)

anna_66
03-13-2003, 10:07 AM
I'm glad he's finally starting to get along, and glad that you took him in:D