PDA

View Full Version : bunny questions...

Aspen and Misty
03-11-2003, 02:40 PM
(He was just nuetered) When can Julian be back on his shredded paper bedding? The vets said not to let him on it cause the paper is dusty and could get into his cut thingy. Also, is it bad for him to eat ALOT of paper, he still eats his normal food but he loves paper and eats it all the time. One more question, Julian runs circles around our feet, do you know why he would do this? It doesn't bother us and gives us a few laughs but I was wondering if he is trying to tell us something???

Thanx,
Ash

tikeyas_mom
03-11-2003, 03:27 PM
him running around your feet is nothing to worrie about, he just is excited to see you and he wants to play :)..

He should just have flat news paper in his hutch for now because it could get cought in his cut.

It is ok if bunnies eat paper. Mine did all the time and she was fine. Just make sure that your rabbits poop are normal every doy ok :)

aly
03-11-2003, 03:30 PM
Have you checked out the FAQs on this site? They seem to be very good (I'm not claiming to be a bunny expert but I believe they give good advice on there)

http://rabbit.org/faq/index.html

Heather Wallace
03-11-2003, 04:35 PM
When bunny was spayed i just used news paper in her hutch.

Maybe Julian is saying ' give me food'. I know Millie does that when she is hungry.

zippy-kat
03-11-2003, 04:38 PM
Actually, running by running circles around your feet, he is saying, "My what sexy feet you have. I want to breed them." Ash, remember (before you rush to buy him a friend) he will still be able to impregnate a female for 6-8wks after his neuter. I imagine that he'd still "feel that old feeling" (ie have his breeding instinct) as well. Additionally running circles around your feet can mean that he is very bonded to you; it's a sign of affection.

If the vets say don't do it, don't do it. Not until his 'cut' has healed.

Eating LOTS of shredded paper can be bad. You need to be wary of the ink (ie make sure it isn't poisonous). It can also cause a blockage if it "wads up" and doesn't digest. As you know, bunnies can't throw up, therefore 'blockages' are more serious. Sophie was a big-time paper eater but she never ate a bunch at one sitting. It was always a nibble here, a nibble there. Just watch him. If he eats more than you think he should, put less shredded paper into his cage/litterbox.

Aspen and Misty
03-11-2003, 05:05 PM
Thanx everyone!

Tonya- We won't be getting him a friend till at least May, we don't want to rush things and we want to make sure he is completly headled before getting him a friend, we also want to make the proper adjustments to have 2 bunnines instead of one and making sure we have enough time to give to them both, which we should as I spend at least 2 hours with Julian a day, usually more as he can usually run the living room.

Heather- Julian always has food, even when we bring him into the living room we hook up some hay, pellets and water for him so that he can eat and drink, and he always finds a way to get me to go into the fridge and sneak him some parcly. :D He is so spoiled!

Thanx Aly and Tikey's mom!

Ash :D

Aspen and Misty
03-12-2003, 03:40 PM
I have more questions :rolleyes: How much exersis should Julian get right now, he was just nutered 2 days ago. I've been letting him out for a short 4 hours of supervised play but he is used to 15 to 16 hours of play. I don't want him to get hurt but I don't want him to get bored so I've been letting him out but it has to be supervised and I try to give him as long of time as possible. Also, He loves to jump on my bed, is that to far of a leap for him to be makeing? Is it true that bunnies know not to leave the yard? We have a large wooden fence the whole way around the yard, but would he try to get out?? How hot is to hot? (Like should I not have him out above the temputer 85) And how cold is to cold? And how long should he be aloud outside? Is it ok for him to be out there by himself?

Sorry about all the questions :rolleyes:
Ash

zippy-kat
03-12-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Aspen and Misty
I have more questions :rolleyes: How much exersis should Julian get right now, he was just nutered 2 days ago.

Also, He loves to jump on my bed, is that to far of a leap for him to be makeing?

Is it true that bunnies know not to leave the yard?

How hot is to hot? (Like should I not have him out above the temputer 85) And how cold is to cold?

And how long should he be aloud outside? Is it ok for him to be out there by himself?

As for exercise... as much as possible, so long as he doesn't hurt himself/do anything too strenuous.

I wouldn't let him jump up on the bed for a wk or two (just my personal opinion).

Leave the yard? No matter how wonderful he is, I wouldn't trust him. Even the best trained dogs can go bezerk and disobey commands... why take the chance?

hot/cold -- that's a tough question! I don't really know the answer b/c there's so much to factor in (humidity, the thickness of his coat, how used to it he is....)

Personally, I would never leave him out there by himself. There's always the chance of a stray cat or dog w/ a high prey drive that might scale the fence...

But Heather might have some good advice on the weather/temperature and whether or not he should be outside by himself! She might give you some good pointers on building/buying a "bunny pen/run." :)

Brie
03-12-2003, 11:37 PM
(Like should I not have him out above the temputer 85) And how cold is to cold?

This is about all the info I could find for you. Anyhting that talks about it being cold basically says use good judegement. Most recommend you bring rabbits inside when the temperatures start dropping below 45-50 degrees. But, if they have to be outside, make sure you provide them plenty of shelter from wind, snow and rain. Give them warm bedding, etc... <-- this is where common sense comes in handy.

When it's too Hot:

You need to cool down a hot bunny. Heat is deadly to rabbits and when the temperature creeps up into the 80s or more, heat stress becomes a real concern. Overweight rabbits seem more susceptible to heat stress-a good motivation to trim Bun down before the hottest months of summer.

Freeze water in one or two liter-size soda bottles and keep in the cage as a giant ice cube for bunny to lean against. Keep a couple of bottles rotating in the freezer.
Dampen a towel and drape it over one end of the cage with a fan blowing gently on it, enough for good air circulation but not so it's drafty.
Gently mist rabbits' ears and fur with clean water.
Place a square or two of ceramic tile or marble in the cage. It will remain cooler than the air temperature and will be a cool place for Bun to rest.
Always have plenty of fresh drinking water available.
If your rabbit spends time outdoors, be sure to provide shade and keep him out of the direct sun in the hottest times of day.
If your rabbit becomes exposed to too much heat, seems listless, is not eating or acting normally, get him to a veterinarian immediately. Do not wait!

When it's too Cold:
Cold Weather tips

These are tips that I have either used or have heard others use that have helped their rabbits stay comfortable
Line the bottoms of your nestboxes with artificial sheepskin--it gives them something warm to lay on and also the fuzz keeps them above small amounts of fluids
Check your nestboxes twice a day for any wetness, a cold and wet bunny will not last long
Provide straw for your rabbit to burrow into

Provide your rabbit with water 2-3 times a day, I use water bottles and bring the bottles in-put them in hot water in the sink, and in about 5 minutes the ice has melted.

If you use wire hutches, consider putting a piece of sheetrock or paneling to provide some protection from the wind.

Most of the wind blows in from the North here, so if you have outdoor hutches, face them to the south.

You may want to get some heavy weatherproofing plastic, and make a mini greenhouse for the winter.

Sometimes, we get a "livestock advisory," meaning that you need to provide extra protection from the wind and cold, consider moving your rabbits to your basement, garage, or other protected place even if it means moving them to their show carriers overnight in your bathroom!This year I moved all the rabbits into our unheated basement, and it worked out well. Although the last month or so there was a ventilation problem, that caused runny eyes--so keep the air moving all the time if you do this.
I give my rabbits warm water whenever the temperature is below 50 degrees. The rabbits seem to really appreciate it.

Give your rabbits a few extra oats or calf manna on cold days/nights, it will create a little extra "heat" for the rabbit.
Also, I have lost every bunny to the cold, so I just started bringing the nestboxes in the house and taking it out once a day so the doe will feed them. This worked very well when I tried it last month. When they were about 2 weeks old, I started leaving them out a few hours more each day, until they were out with mom all day and all night.
putting 4-5 drops of glycerin in a 32 oz. water bottle will prevent the bottles from freezing

Even though rabbits are covered with fur, they do feel the cold, too. A rabbit can't tolerate prolonged exposure to cold (below 50F or 10C), or damp conditions. Prolonged exposure to wet conditions or freezing temperatures may cause the rabbit to become ill.