PDA

View Full Version : Sick dog

Brinkley02
03-11-2003, 08:24 AM
I have a golden retriever named Brinkley. She is usually really well, but monday morning, early, she started to have diarrea. This morning she threw up and still has diarrea. I have had her to the vet and she has taken some endosorb which is supposed to cure diarrea, but she still has it. Anyone had a similar experience? Let me know!!!

Melody <><:confused:

Logan
03-11-2003, 09:40 AM
My main concern would be that Brinkley might get dehydrated. Is she taking in enough water? You might withhold food for a while and just let her drink, then introduce food, slowly, using boiled hamburger and rice until she is better. I would follow the vet's instructions and keep in close touch with them if she isn't better by the end of today.

Good luck!! Give her a big Golden hug from me, please.

Logan

PS. Welcome to Pet Talk!!!

Aspen and Misty
03-11-2003, 09:46 AM
I was worried she might be dehydrated also. I would suggest lots of water. I hope she gets feeling better soon!

Ash

Brinkley02
03-11-2003, 11:52 AM
I went to the vet and she is VERY hydrated so thats not the problem. We did, however, discuss that she has recently eaten a small beaded doili (sp?). I don't know if this is the reason but it could be a major factor in this whole hassle. She is only 7 months old and it seems as though there is ALWAYS something wrong with her!!! Are you a golden owner? Have you had any similar problems? Why the hamburger and rice diet for awhile? I have never heard of that. Thanks for the quick response.

Melody and poor sick Brinkley <><

Tanya&Fritz
03-11-2003, 11:58 AM
Hamburger and rice is the best thing ever invented :D It's very bland and when dogs stomach's are upset it's the best thing for them. I hope Brinkley is feeling better soon. Keep us updated.

Welcome to Pet Talk :D

tatsxxx11
03-11-2003, 11:58 AM
Most vet's prescribe a boiled hamburger or boiled chicken and rice diet when a dog has an upset stomach/diarrhea because the rice is very bland and binding and the boiled meat provides some protein and nutrients without a little fat. I would definitely follow Logan's advice, gradually feeding her small amts. with free watering. Brinkley is still a puppy and like most puppies, they get into and TRY to eat everything!!:rolleyes: If she isn't getting better after a day or two, I think the vet might suggest an abdominal xray, just to make sure there's nothing in her that she swallowed and might be causing a problem. I'm not a Golden Mom, but Logan is:) Keep us informed on how she doing and a big hug to Brinkley! Get well soon, sweetie!:)

Logan
03-11-2003, 12:07 PM
I do have Goldens, two of them, in fact, and love them dearly, so I completely understand your concern about Brinkley. We also have a yellow Lab, Murphy, who is older. I think Sandra answered the hamburger/rice question exactly the way I would, but I wouldn't rush anything until your vet adivises you to start feeding again.

Best of luck and lots of prayers to you and Brinkley.

Brinkley02
03-11-2003, 08:18 PM
Thanks for all the help!!! It is amazing how many people reply to simple stuff like this. I went to the vet and I have some medication to give to her. One is in a tube it is some sort of brown paste, and the others are pills. She had her first doses this morning and, so far, no more diarrhea. Yay!!! Hope that all is well with all of you. Thanks for the support!!!

Melody and a Brinkley on the mend :D

wolfsoul
03-11-2003, 08:23 PM
welcome! :D i hope brinkly feels better soon

ps did u name her after the golden retriever, brinkley, on youve got mail? :confused: :)

KYS
03-11-2003, 08:57 PM
Sounds like her medication is working.
Please keep us informed on her progress
and welcome to Pet Talk. :)

Brinkley02
03-11-2003, 08:57 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are the first person that has made that connection!!!!!! Everyone else is like "Brinkley? What kind of a name is that?" And i have to go through my whole shpeel about the movie and they either haven't seen it or don't remember the dog. I knew as soon as I decided to buy a golden that I would name her Brinkley. I work at an animal hospital/kennel and I see dogs day after day with the same names. Lexie, Lacie, sam, cleo, dolly, suger, sweetie...and I didn't want one of those lovey dovey names....Nope...Brinkley is special and original. She is one of a kind, and so far no one else has chosen the name. I don't know why...it is beautiful. Thanks for noticing!!!! So now after Brinkley has passed on (hopefully not for 13-14 more years) I can always look back at the movie and remember my first dog. The other choices I danced around but never realy considered were...Riley, Raylynn, Bosley (charlies angels), and Emma. All very sparce in their usage. Thanks again for letting me know that someone has made the connection!!!!!!!!!!!!

Melody;)

micki76
03-11-2003, 09:07 PM
Hi Melody!
Welcome to Pet Talk!! Glad Brinkley's feeling better and we would love *hint, hint* to see some pictures of her when she's all better!:D

wolfsoul
03-11-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Brinkley02
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are the first person that has made that connection!!!!!! Everyone else is like "Brinkley? What kind of a name is that?" And i have to go through my whole shpeel about the movie and they either haven't seen it or don't remember the dog. I knew as soon as I decided to buy a golden that I would name her Brinkley. I work at an animal hospital/kennel and I see dogs day after day with the same names. Lexie, Lacie, sam, cleo, dolly, suger, sweetie...and I didn't want one of those lovey dovey names....Nope...Brinkley is special and original. She is one of a kind, and so far no one else has chosen the name. I don't know why...it is beautiful. Thanks for noticing!!!! So now after Brinkley has passed on (hopefully not for 13-14 more years) I can always look back at the movie and remember my first dog. The other choices I danced around but never realy considered were...Riley, Raylynn, Bosley (charlies angels), and Emma. All very sparce in their usage. Thanks again for letting me know that someone has made the connection!!!!!!!!!!!!

Melody;)

yay! I feel special now lol...I love that movie :D i think Brinkley is a great name :)

Cookiebaker
03-11-2003, 09:35 PM
Poor Brinkley...hope she feels better ASAP!! Please keep us updated...and we'd love to see pictures if you have any.

p.s. I *love* "You've Got Mail"!!!!!!!!1

Albea
03-13-2003, 12:27 PM
Melody,
Sandra, Logan and Tanya are right about boiled chicken and rice. My vet also recommended that diet when my pups were sick.
Having gone through the puppyhood of three Goldens, I know the little devils can get anything in their mouths and you always have to be two steps ahead of them to make sure they don't get in trouble.
;) I'm glad to hear that Brinkley is doing better already. Hugs and belly rubs to her from another Golden mom.
Welcome to Pet Talk!!!
Alicia

ParNone
03-13-2003, 01:48 PM
brinkley writes:

The other choices I danced around but never realy considered were...Riley, Raylynn, Bosley (charlies angels), and Emma.
Bosley was on my list when I was naming my Collie puppy too.
I've got a movie/tv theme going for my dog's names, but a friend
said Bosley didn't sound dignified enough for a Collie. So he
ended up as Oz, to connect him to my 2 Cairn Terriers. Not
sure Oz is exactly dignified either, especially since his full name
is "Whizzer of Oz".:)

Love the name Brinkley btw.

Par...

Brinkley02
03-13-2003, 05:56 PM
Thanks to all of you who cared enough to give me opinions on the prusuit to wellness of my baby. She is totally better now and I am so happy. Now we can play again and she can sllep at my feet. The bed is so empty when she isn't there. I am so used to that extra 45 Ibs on the bed!!! This is a question for golden owners: Do any of you remember how much your golden weighed around 7 months? Brinkley is about 45 Ibs and she doesn't seem to be getting any bigger!!! When do they stop growing or is she as big as she is going to get? AND when will her tail fluff up. It is sorta ratty right now. Just getting somemore opinions!!! Thanks to all of you for caring so much. Couldn't have done it with out you! Hugs and licks from this end of the computer.

Melody and Brinkley

tatsxxx11
03-13-2003, 06:43 PM
I won't take up too much time or space so the Golden Mom's can reply...just wanted to tell you how happy I am that Brinkley is doing so well and is back in the "big bed" where she belongs!!:)

Brinkley02
03-13-2003, 09:40 PM
This is a picture of Brinkley as a LITTLE puppy. I hope that is turns out. She is still a puppy even though she is no where near little. I don't have a scanner so this is as good as it gets for now. I'll try to get more. Thanks again guys.

Melody and BIG baby Brinkley:p

wolfsoul
03-13-2003, 10:49 PM
i cant see the pic :(

Brinkley02
03-14-2003, 06:14 PM
Well...I tried to put it in, but it doesn't show up. What do I do?
Melody and Brinkley

wolfsoul
03-14-2003, 08:11 PM
want to send it to me? I will post it for you :) If you want to, my email is [email protected]

wolfsoul
03-14-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Cookiebaker

p.s. I *love* "You've Got Mail"!!!!!!!!1

me too! :) I'm a sucker for the romances :rolleyes:

wolfsoul
03-14-2003, 09:02 PM
here we are! Brinkley is sooo cute! She is 8 weeks here...
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid55/pb0d43a8c238218bb246ff1394a0fd406/fc813d42.jpg
send as many as u like! i would be happy to post them! :) my mother is probably gonna make me get off soon though lol

Albea
03-16-2003, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Brinkley02
Thanks to all of you who cared enough to give me opinions on the prusuit to wellness of my baby. She is totally better now and I am so happy. Now we can play again and she can sllep at my feet. The bed is so empty when she isn't there. I am so used to that extra 45 Ibs on the bed!!! This is a question for golden owners: Do any of you remember how much your golden weighed around 7 months? Brinkley is about 45 Ibs and she doesn't seem to be getting any bigger!!! When do they stop growing or is she as big as she is going to get? AND when will her tail fluff up. It is sorta ratty right now. Just getting somemore opinions!!! Thanks to all of you for caring so much. Couldn't have done it with out you! Hugs and licks from this end of the computer.

Melody and Brinkley

Melody,
I'm sorry it took me so long to post this; I've been under the weather for a couple of days.:(
In the first place, I'm so glad to know Brinkley is over her bout of tummy trouble. She's a precious little girl.
As for her weight, don't worry too much about it. Pups grow at their own pace. When Carina came home, she was six months old and rather small at 45 lbs. The vet thought she was going to remain a small Golden, but she is 68/70 lbs. now.
As for the tail, it will probably get fluffier when she sheds her puppy coat. You may not be so eager for it to get very large when you realize what a lethal weapon a wagging tail can be, specially close to a coffee table.;)
Please give many hugs and kisses to Brinkley from me.
Alicia

tatsxxx11
03-16-2003, 10:14 AM
Brinkley, you are one precious little doll baby!!:) So glad to hear you're feeling all better now!!

ellensy
03-16-2003, 11:15 AM
wow, Brinkley's so cute!

glad she's doing well now........ :)

Brinkley02
03-17-2003, 10:29 PM
Brinkley is great. She is fully recovered and ready to sleep in "the big bed" again. Doesn't matter how long she sleeps in her kennel, I CANNOT seem to sleep well anymore with out her on my feet or up against my back. Just recently she has decided that she is a lap dog. A 50 Ib lap dog to be exact. Hope that all is well with all of you. Keep your pups safe!!! Love them TOO much!!!! Hope to hear from you soon!

Melody and Brinkley <><:D