PDA

View Full Version : do you smoke?

marysmerrycats
03-11-2003, 06:21 AM
how many people here smoke, or used to smoke? I quit about 9 years ago, and sometimes I STILL want one LOL:rolleyes:

Pam
03-11-2003, 06:24 AM
Nope, but my hubby does and I would love for him to quit. He keeps saying 'some day.....' :rolleyes:

Former User
03-11-2003, 06:27 AM
My husband and I aren't smoking.

anna_66
03-11-2003, 07:14 AM
Yes:o I do & so does Mark, I'm ashamed to admit. I have quit 3 times. Twice for about a year, and the last time was for 3 years. I don't smoke all that much (about 5 a day) and should quit. But we don't smoke in the house (why kill the dogs & ourselves?).

Ann
03-11-2003, 07:19 AM
Nope.

Never tried it and never will. I wouldn't want to subject myself and the people and pets in my surroundings to the various diseases and besides I want to boycott smoking because of the cruel and unecessary animal tests they use.

03-11-2003, 08:14 AM
We both don't smoke . We never did and we never will !! My husband's dad died of lung-cancer at the age of 41 (he was a non-stop-smoker); my hubby was only 2 then . Since then , everybody in his family is very much against smoking !

Edwina's Secretary
03-11-2003, 08:36 AM
My husband and I quit smoking just over two years ago. I just went on a four day vacation with a girlfriend who still smokes....like a chimney!!!! In the car, in the hotel room, at dinner.

I was tempted a few times...wasn't so much I wanted a cigarette as I wanted to smoke. But the urge passed (or at least I didn't give in to it!)

Crikit
03-11-2003, 09:00 AM
Nope, and due to the fact that I'm allergic to the smoke, have a slight case of asthma and at times tend to have weak lungs I never will. I can't afford to health wise. Heck I can't even stand buying them for my Grandma, it just makes me feel weird.

COCatMama
03-11-2003, 09:01 AM
nope, I don't smoke, disgusting habit. The people at my work smoke, INSIDE! and yes, it is illegal. I now have a sorta smoker's cough! GROSS!
My mom smoked for nearly 30 years and quit just over one year ago! she used The Patch.

Cataholic
03-11-2003, 09:27 AM
Nope. HOWEVER, I do recognize the tremendous difficulty in stopping smoking. I wish everyone strength in stopping!!

lovemyshiba
03-11-2003, 09:44 AM
Yes, my hubby and I both do:o
I don't really want to, and I don't do it that much, but I haven't really tried to quit yet.
Working in a restaurant does that to you (and everyone else I work with).
But we don't smoke in the house, or around the dogs!!!

Andie
03-11-2003, 09:50 AM
Nope, I don't smoke but everyone else in my family (except my parents) smokes. Smoke doesn't really bother me because I grew up in it. I don't even smell it until I go to leave and get in my car (by then I usually smell like a cigarette butt) sometimes I can smell smoke on Dustin (his mom smokes though he is less tolerate of it than I am). I have to admitt though I have bronchial (sp?) problems because of my overexposure to smoke.

slleipnir
03-11-2003, 10:30 AM
I don't. I know thats not saying much as I'm only 18, but a lot of my friends do. Both my parents smoked most of my younger years, and I HATED it. I think its gross and...gross..They've both quit now, thankfully :] I doubt I'll ever smoke as I get a sore throat just from being around it :o

tomkatzid
03-11-2003, 10:32 AM
I quit many many years ago. They were 55 cents a pack then. In my 20's. I started in High School, to be cool.:( I work in smoke, so knows what will happen there. I wish Washington state would ban it in all public places.

slick
03-11-2003, 11:02 AM
Boy, this can become quite the controversy so I'll be brief. I tried it in my 20's but it didn't last long. Never touched a cigarette since and refuse to hang around smokers.

I was watching a program a while ago in the discovery channel. Studies have shown that pets belonging to smoking parents have a higher risk of developing cancer and I believe that to be true. Second-hand smoke can not only affect people but also pets. When I was volunteering last Christmas (I was Santa for Pet pics with Santa) many of the dogs and cats stunk of cigarette smoke and all I could do is feel sorry for them. I'm sure they were well looked after but it made me sad all the same.

For those of you who have quit, I applaud you!! And for those who are still smoking maybe the time just isn't right for you to quit just now. Hopefully soon. The Canadian Cancer Society and the American Cancer Society both have toll free numbers to call if you want to quit. But like any addiction it's up to the individual. Good luck!

Rocky'smomma
03-11-2003, 11:04 AM
My husband does, but I don't....he only smokes outside or in the garage though,never in the house.

Logan
03-11-2003, 11:13 AM
None of us do, either. Thankfully, I grew up in a family with absolutely no smokers. My first husband's father smoked, but quit the day we got married, when he came down with pnuemonia and was told to stop. And he did, cold turkey! My current husband grew up in a family of smokers too. But he has asthma and can't stand it. One thing that would stop you dead in your tracks is to have children who go through drug education in school. They believe (and are probably correct) that smoking is as bad as any addiction.

Logan

RockyRoad
03-11-2003, 11:27 AM
My friend finished D.A.R.E. this past month. She learned a lot about drugs and the consequences of smoking. Her mom & dad both smoked, and now her dad has not had one in six weeks, and her mom hasn't had one in one week (because she just started). I don't know exactly the reason why, but I think it was because they didn't want her to be dissappointed. My friend told me it was something to do with D.A.R.E. though.
:)
As for my own family, my grandma passed away more than a year ago from emphysyma (sp?) from smoking. She also suffered from other things as well, and was a recovering cancer patient. My mom smoked for a few years in high school, becuase A) she thought it was cool & B) they were availible (both her parents smoked). My dad's side has no smoking history at all.

ScantyNebula
03-11-2003, 11:33 AM
nope, me or fiance don't smoke. he did for several years...but quit. I tried smoking and thought it was the most disgusting thing, I don't think I could get hooked even if I tried. heh

luckies4me
03-11-2003, 11:41 AM
Both Dan and I used to smoke. I quit when I was pregnant, then after Dylan was born I started again, but only occasionally. Then Dan and I both decided to stop and we quit cold turkey, it's very easy for us for some reason. We never smoked around out pets or Dylan.

Once I caught Dans father smoking with Dylan in the car!!!!:mad: I was SO pissed he would smoke in front of our baby!:mad:

I do sometimes have a craving but I won't give into it, I have started having some troubles breathing and I want to live a little longer, especially to see my children grow up.

My dad has smoked for AGES, and now needs to have oxygen sometimes and he STILL din't wuit until about a month ago! :mad: His lungs are so bad. I don't understand why anyone would want to end their life short because of it. It's very sad. :(

Freckles
03-11-2003, 12:01 PM
Never have, never will.

Tanya&Fritz
03-11-2003, 12:01 PM
Oh oh :eek: Yes, my husband and I both smoke but we don't smoke in the house. I know I have to quit, but believe me, it's not easy :(

popcornbird
03-11-2003, 12:04 PM
Although I'm young, I can proudly say that I NEVER will smoke. I've NEVER touched a cigarette, never will. Neither my parents nor siblings have ever smoked. My grandfather on my mother's side used to, but only like once a week. Two of my uncles on my dad's side have been smoking since college and still do. One of my uncle tried to quit several times, but he always fails when he passes a cigar shop. :rolleyes: I HATE his habit. His children hate it and have tried to get him to stop, but no use. When he comes to our house, he's not allowed to smoke inside period. These rules didn't work before, he would keep forgetting :rolleyes: and he made our house STINK, but ever since we got the birds, I told him clearly, that if his smoking ever causes any harm to the birds, he will NEVER be forgiven. Guess I scared him. He NEVER smoked at our house again! :p Only outside when he visits. (ps. I hate the smell of his clothes too even though he doesn't smoke in the house).

My other uncle is stubborn. He will NOT even try to quit. He's been smoking for the past 30-40 years and won't stop. He's not allowed to smoke in the house though (his kids and wife hate it and won't let him) so at least his house doesn't stink when we go to visit. These are the only smoking family members I have. Good luck to all of you that are trying to quit smoking. I know its hard, but when there's a will, there's a way!

Ps. I never knew so many women smoked! Around here, I don't think I've seen more than one or two women smoking in my life! :eek: Guess its different in other states. Not much of anyone smokes here anyway, but its usually the men.

When people smoke around me, I get sick and feel like throwing up. When I was about 9 or 10 years old, we were traveling for the summer, and took a stupid airline (don't remember what it was) that had a smoking section and put us in it when we reserved non smoking seats! I, unfortunately got a seat next to an evil couple. They had a little baby in their lap (not more than 5-6 months old) and they were smoking continuously, the WHOLE flight (10 hours). OMG, those idiots had no regard for other people, not even their baby! They were smoking in her face! Both of them! The WHOLE time, didn't even put their cigarettes down. You can't imagine how sick I got. I bacame dizzy, felt like throwing up, and eventually couldn't stand out of dizziness. When that evil couple saw me getting so sick, you know what they did? They were LAUGHING! Making fun of me because I felt like I was going to die! I'm serious! I did feel like I was going to die. I wanted to get up from my seat and teach those devils a lesson, but I was too sick to even say something. I just growled at them, and I'm not even sure if the growl came out! The flight attendents constantly came to check on me, and parents were extremely worried because I couldn't even stand. Eventually one of the flight attendants asked a nice old lady if I could sit next to her and she agreed. My dad had to pick me up and put me on that seat. I couldn't walk. If I tried, I would fall. The old lady was SO nice. My seat was away from my parents, so she took care of me the whole way. I started to feel a little better after getting away from those beasts, but I was still sick. After arriving, I threw up, and couldn't eat for the next 3 days. I was constantly throwing up. :( Those evil people don't know how much their wickedness affected me, but I know that I will NEVER forget them in my life. :mad:

tomkatzid
03-11-2003, 12:05 PM
Scanty Nebula that is such a great picture!!!

Originally posted by ScantyNebula
nope, me or fiance don't smoke. he did for several years...but quit. I tried smoking and thought it was the most disgusting thing, I don't think I could get hooked even if I tried. heh

zippy-kat
03-11-2003, 12:21 PM
No... no smoking here. Haven't tried it and don't care too either--my allergies react horribly to it, esp. cigar smoke!

catland
03-11-2003, 12:27 PM
I'm a recovering smoker. I haven't had a cigarette in several years and never plan to have another one because I know I'm an addict and just one cigarette will get me started all over again. I know this because I once quit for five years, then in the process of having a really bad day, I allowed myself to have ONE cigarette and then continued to smoke over a pack daily for the next eight years.:mad:

Yes, it is really,really hard to quit. For any of you out there who want to quit, I recommend the following.

1. Don't kid yourself by saying that you are "quitting smoking". Either smoke or don't smoke.

2. Pick a day, and when you wake up that morning, throw out any remaining cigarettes. Don't quit in the middle of the day.

3. Quit because YOU are determined to quit. Not because of pressure from others.

4. If you feel the need to use the patch or medication, do what ever works for you. Just remember that these are only helpers. You still have to have the personal resolve to quit because a year, five years, ten years down the road, when you get a surprise craving (that doesn't last long, trust me:) ), you'll only have your resolve to get you through the moment.

5. Quitting is terribly hard, but the rewards are so worth it.

Good luck

iceyshiver21
03-11-2003, 12:46 PM
I never want to smoke, Ive been offered but always said NO!! I cant stand the smell either.

tikeyas_mom
03-11-2003, 01:40 PM
I dotn And I never will :D

Kfamr
03-11-2003, 02:04 PM
My parents both smoke. I cannot stand it whatsoever. They have to smoke outside, and can't smoke in the truck. MY RULES! hehe. I think it smells nasty, is nasty, and i will NEVER do it. NEVER have.:)

ramanth
03-11-2003, 02:24 PM
Nope. I've never smoked or had the desire too. :)

Dad smoked until I was 8 and quit cold turkey. He said he still craves a smoke but won't.

I can imagine it's hard and to those that try, keep it up! :)

lynnestankard
03-11-2003, 02:26 PM
I used to smoke many years ago and quite about 3 years before Diane was born. Even after this long time I do occassionaly get the urge to have a cigarette!! I don't though!

Don still smokes and has tried many times to give up - he once managed about 10 months and then started again. He's tried the chewing gum, the patches and the fake cigarettes. I'm still hoping he will stop one day - the sooner the better!!

Lynne

aly
03-11-2003, 03:03 PM
I never have smoked and never will. It just doesn't appeal to me at all. I get a sore throat and headachey when I'm around too much.

I do know its a hard thing to quit and I wish everyone the best of luck!! :) :)

Popcornbird - Wait until you get to college, you'll see more smoking than you've ever seen in your life. I've never noticed more men smokers than women. Would be interesting to see statistics on that.

Kfamr
03-11-2003, 03:43 PM
More smoking in college than highschool? Oh lord.

Cincy'sMom
03-11-2003, 03:51 PM
I do not smoke, although I have had a few cigars... one after our wedding, a Cuban, while we were on our honeymoon and one after dinner each of the 2 times I have been to Emeril's restaruant in FL.

jenluckenbach
03-11-2003, 03:54 PM
NO Never even tried one. My mom smoked. Died of lung cancer at 56 years old. She quit cold turkey, at the end (and even though it was too late, she COULD breath better during those last months, so that was some comfort) But let me tell any smokers out there............
Dying of lung diseaseSUCKS You don't want to do it and you don't want to watch it.!!

weiner_teddy
03-11-2003, 04:08 PM
Nope, I don't smoke, and neither do my parents, and I am very thankful for that. They used to smoke when they were in High School, but they quit when they started having kids.

petsbestern
03-11-2003, 04:25 PM
Smoking is just disgusting! How can anyone destroy their own health like that just because of a stupid addiction?!?! I never smoked, nor will I EVER even try to. Its a disgusting habit. :( No one in my family smokes so I'm grateful for that. Smoking is a big no no for me.

ChrisH
03-11-2003, 04:36 PM
I gave up nearly three years ago (on July 20) after smoking for 37 years. Just over two years ago I was diagnosed with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. I haven`t escaped unscathed but at least I escaped.

My mom smoked. Died of lung cancer at 56 years old. She quit cold turkey, at the end (and even though it was too late, she COULD breath better during those last months, so that was some comfort)............
My Mum too Jen, only difference was she was sixtyfour. You would have thought I would have learned then. Yes, I was addicted to the damn things and it was so very hard to quit, even now I dare not have just half a cigarette because I know I will be back to square one.
I applaud all those who never have nor will smoke, and to those who do, I have been there, it is so hard to quit I know, but please keep trying, you can do it, really.

Chris

Kater
03-11-2003, 04:43 PM
I don't smoke and have no interest in it.

petsbestern
03-11-2003, 04:45 PM
ChrisH your dog is so cute! :) How old is he?

neko1
03-11-2003, 05:25 PM
NO! IT KILLED MY GRANDMOTHER!! ( A YEAR AGO TOMORROW)

CANCER STICKS ARE DISGUSTING!

Kfamr
03-11-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by neko1
NO! IT KILLED MY GRANDMOTHER!! ( A YEAR AGO TOMORROW)

CANCER STICKS ARE DISGUSTING!

Sorry about your Grandma. Smoking is horrible. :(

Nomilynn
03-11-2003, 07:25 PM
I don't smoke. I've severly allergic.. makes me sick to my stomach on top of the headaches and sinus problems.

Fuzzy317
03-11-2003, 07:59 PM
My fiancee used to smoke, but she has been quit a couple of years now. I have never smoked.

Cookiebaker
03-11-2003, 08:01 PM
Nope...never have & probably never will. The smell grosses me out! Yuk!!!

NoahsMommy
03-11-2003, 09:58 PM
Nope...I have asthma, just smelling it sends me into a coughing fit.

Luckily we live in CA and its illegal in most places. I love that law...there's nothing worse than having to leave somewhere because I'm about to choke to death.

Even when we go to Las Vegas, we stay at the Monte Carlo due to their filtration system. You'd never know anyone smoked in there.

My dad and his wife smoke a lot. As soon as they are done eating, they get out the cigarettes. I would imagine the only time they aren't smoking is when they are sleeping, showering or eating. Its very sad. I'm sure my dad will die of lung cancer. I remember when I was little, I would write: 'Daddy, please quit.' or 'Daddy, don't smoke this' on all of his cigarettes when he wasn't looking. Oh well...in this case...its self-inflicted. (I have prior bad feelings about them as well, that's why I can be so candid.)

Anyway, it really is so bad for you. The second-hand smoke is almost worse (it is for those around you). The news just had a segment on how second-hand smoke is causing cavities in children. How sad. :(

There are ways to quit...I know its hard...but there are so many resources out there that can help. That commercial thats out now ("I can't get out of bed without having a cigarette, I can't get out of bed", "I don't think I can quit, I don't think I can operate") took part in a co-worker quitting. I thought that was really great. :)

Desert Arabian
03-11-2003, 10:06 PM
Never tried it...and never will. I hate smoking/cigarettes!!! I have asthma from second hand smoke, and my breathing gets labored if I am around it too much. My parents used to smoke when I was little, and it was horrible. The curtains were yellow, you could see the smoke floating up by the celing, our clothes stunk....BLECH!

I believe that smoking should be banned from all public buildings. I am so sick and tired of sitting down to eat a cheeseburger and have to choke on smoke. SICK! And come back with my clothes smelling like an ashtray. To me cigarettes are just as bad as pot, heroin (did you know that nicotine is more addictive than heroin!), LSD-- to me it is an addictive drug that kills millions and should be illegal.

Having lungs that look like this:
http://members.aol.com/OrliBloom177/blacklungs.jpg
is not my cup of tea. I really don't feel like dragging around an oxygen tank, with tubes up my nose- DEFINITELY not my cup of tea. No thanks!!

To sum it up: I hate it, I want it banned, I think it is disgusting.

Karen
03-11-2003, 10:33 PM
Remember folks, this is Pet Talk. We should respect each other as people, right? So you can say what you want about smoking, but please stay respectful of those who admit they smoke.

I do not smoke, never have and never will. I am asthmatic, to smoke would be like slow painful suicide to me.

My own father, from whom I inherited asthma, smoked for many years, starting as many young men did when he was in the military. He never, though, smoked in the house, ever. Even in sub-zero temperatures, he walked out to the garage (which is probably 20 feet uphill from the house) to smoke. We never saw him smoke, either. He did not want us to learn this habit from him, and concealed it from us children as best he could.

Then, 12 years ago, after discovering a lump (just a cyst, benign) on his neck, he quit cold turkey. He knew he couldn't have a cigarette in the hospital, knew how dangerous the habit was, and he quit. Even he says, "Yes, I wasn't pleasant to be around for a couple weeks, but I did it."

If he, who smoked for most of 40 years or so, and is allergic to it (which makes you crave it even more, I've read studies about it, it's some weird physiological effect), could quit effectively, so can you. He now breathes better (and this to effect pretty soon after), and has regained some of the sense of smell he had thought he'd lost forever. And, much to his credit, even my mother's prolonged terminal illness did not make him start up again. For this, all his children and grandchildren and pseudo-children/neighbors/friends are grateful.

Please, if you want to quit, and just need an extra push, PM me.

marysmerrycats
03-11-2003, 10:38 PM
my dad used to smoke when I was little, I remember my mom always hiding his cigarettes, trying to get him to quit. what finally made him quit was, when my brothers were in high school, and they would wrestle or goof around with my dad, and then they could kick his butt! he got mad so he quit!! he was coughing so bad that time, and was so out of breath, I guess he finally got the idea.
he smoked alot.
I was a light smoker, but I was still having a little trouble breathing, I felt like I could not breathe well at all while I was smoking the cigarette, so after 2 or 3 times of this, I finally thought this is ridiculous! I threw them out. 3 months later I had a couple, and 3 or 4 months after that a couple more, only a couple. it took me about a year to completely quit for good, .that was 9 years ago.

marysmerrycats
03-11-2003, 10:47 PM
Karen
I agree, I didn't start this thread to make it controversial. I was just wondering, and it seems most people don't smoke.
I had quit for over 8 years, thought I was doing so good, had only occasional, minor cravings for them but then I was around someone who smoked, and it had been years since I had been around a smoker, well after I was around them, it made me want one for weeks! I didn't start again tho, I thought I'll be darned if I am going to start up again after this many years. it is VERY hard to quit as any one who has smoked would know.

COCatMama
03-11-2003, 10:49 PM
smoking is disgusting no matter how ya slice it, it may be more socially acceptable more than heroin addiction, but smoking is more addictive than heroin! Scary, but true.
Even my mom is now totally disgusted by smoking, makes me laugh cause she smoked for soooo many years, hee hee.

CathyBogart
03-11-2003, 10:52 PM
Goddess, no!! One, I find the very idea disgusting, and thankfully so does my bf. Two, it would be harmful to my pets, not to mention the other people I spend time with.

I am thrilled to see so many non-smokers on here! *holds up a glass* here's to long life! ^_^

kingrattus
03-11-2003, 11:03 PM
I never tried it & never will, people smoking never really bothered me cause it didn't bother my breathing at all... I was ok... but after I got walking phenuma (sp) that damaged my left lung I can't stand smoke anymore, its so hard to breath & it hurts, it took 5 yrs to heal enough that I could run again. all of my friends respected the fact I was having trouble breathing when they smoked, so they either only smoked outside, locked themselves in a room with an opened window or just waited until I left, & they would open a window when I came over to freshen the air for me. But now I can hardly walk without coughing up a lung & a 1/2... Rob's mom is such a cold hearted person she said tough s*** move if u don't like it (well I can't move rent is over $1000.00 in this city & I only make $600.00/month, but by oct the latest I'll be out of here & moved to newfoundland, YAY newfy land!!!) at least robs dad tries not to smoke near us kids, he'll go into the washroom & open the window & smoke or smoke near an open window else where in the house, we have much respect for him, he tries not to let his smoke bother us, cause hes a good man... but nooooo robs mom has to start smoking not one but 3 at once!!! right at the beggining of a movie!! she'll be in her room watching tv & as soon as she learns we're watching a movie she'll comeout & play on the computer & smoke none stop through the whole movie, & once its over she'll go back to her room.. she really hates us.

------
"I believe that smoking should be banned from all public buildings."
-------
It is banned in all public building/working places/malls/resturants/bus's/bars its great!!! I can go out to eat & breath at the same time!!! for all u none smokers & for people who don't like smoke at dinner time (& yes there r alot of them) move to Ottawa/Ontario/Canada we have a smoking bylaw :D :D

King

COCatMama
03-11-2003, 11:17 PM
pneumonia permanently damaged your lung?!!? I had pneumonia when I was 12 1/2, had bronchitis a few times since then.
yuck!

wolf_Q
03-12-2003, 12:04 AM
Nope, never will either.

Thankfully, nobody in my immediate family has ever smoked. But I had a friend who's parents (which have now quit! yay!) were heavy smokers. EVERY time I went over to her house, I'd come home with a really bad cold that'd last for weeks, and my lips would swell up. I guess I'm allergic or something...

The last time I went to Las Vegas we spent quite a long time wandering around the smoke-filled Casinos, and after I nap in our hotel room, I woke up with an awful cold. It was more then a cold, I don't know what it was. Cigarette smoke does something to me.

I've bathed quite a few dogs at work that just reeked of smoke...it made me gag...had to wash them several times, it's very hard to get the smell out.

I *applaud* all of you that have been trying to quit, and have been able to quit. That's an amazing accomplishment guys!! :)

kingrattus
03-12-2003, 12:16 AM
ya it did something to the bottom 1/4 of my left lung... I had it really, I couldn't walk more then 10 feet from my chair for a month. I was forced to sleep sitting for a month, does anyone know how hard it is to sleep sitting in a chair??? it was horrible!!! but at the moment it was much better they laying down, I couldn't even bend over without gasping & choaking & getting light headed... I think I was 13... I got if from working at L.A.W.S. (Lanark Animal Welfare Society) an animal shelter. I told them I don't want to work with cats because more then 2 make me sick & the room were too cold, damp & smelly, but if I wanted to work with the dogs I had to clean all 50 cat cages & then all 4 cat room, then the hall, the the main office room, then the staff room... 5 hrs later I would finish & work with the dogs for the last 3 hrs... but 3 months of that was almost my death. So I had to quit... but the town learned what the managers were doing, they weren't just keeping the place cold & damn but they were kill all the cats they had once a month (didn't matter how long the cat was there for) but they didn't kill any dogs at all (or none that I foundout about) The town got rid of them & found GREAT AWESOME TEREFIC PERFCT manager/owners... they put all the money into the shelter & not into their pockets & built new safer dog runs, built a HUGE running pen (u could fit 30 large dogs in it!!) & they built proper sick room & new animal rooms & they don't kill animals unless they r hoplessly ill or psychoticly vicious, but not after they try to rehab. them at their own homes. They turned a mean german that was beaten by her neighbour into a super loving job... it took the lady 2 yrs to rehab that dog, she would muzzle her & chain her to the couch & have her male friends come in & watch tv while the dog went psycho, after a while the dog learned that the guys wern't going to harm her & when she feels threatoned now, she only woofs & backs off. Talk about a good shelter eh?? oh & they also built 3 cat rooms that resembeled living rooms. they had a broken tv (not broken glass), rugs, chairs, window cils, couches, & of course toys, 1 room was able to hold up to 15 cats at once (only used during the day no cat was left in there over night) it had open windows (with bars of course) the other room held 5 cats with a couple of chairs & the same window set up & the last room was for special cats. Mousing cats... they had a room with one chair & a smaller window with same set up as others, but this room was a storage room, its where they kept the dry bags of dog/cat foods this cat stayed there all night long & it was tipically a cat that would never find a home because it wasn't friendly enough but was a great mouser.
They also built/bought real dog houses for the dogs that were chained up outside (only during the day), before there were only 2 sheets of wood & if the dog was lucky it had a third sheet, the dogs froze during the winter because they had no proper shelter... but now the dogs have big houses with lots of hay to lay on, toys to play with & about 8 feet of chain (which isn;t too bad)... & insted of letting the smaller dogs freese outside they would let then run lose indoors, either in the cat hallway, the main office, the dog room, or the puppy pen (if their were puppies they were moved to a smaller pen so the dog could run around in theirs)... I spent a week there last year & I told then I can't work with too many cats, so they asked if it was ok if I did the 1 display cat cage in the main office & the cage in the hidden storage room with the new cats & the one killer cat (who was eventually tamed & the owner took him home to his farm to live) since he was still to agressive to go to a family home, but a farm was perfect.

I think I've typed enough, I gotta learn to type less

King

AdoreMyDogs
03-12-2003, 06:33 AM
Never have and never will. I have asthma anyway. No one in my family smokes, thankfully. My mom smoked before she decided to have kids, and quit when shortly before she became pregnant with my older brother. She has raised us to be anti-smoking.

Although I am not a smoker, I understand how hard addictions are, and I respect the people who have quit, or even attempted to quit. I am terribly addicted to refined suger....chocolate to be specific! I can't go a day withouth getting even just a little bit of chocolate.

Vio&Juni
03-12-2003, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by catland

1. Don't kid yourself by saying that you are "quitting smoking". Either smoke or don't smoke.
5. Quitting is terribly hard, but the rewards are so worth it.

Good luck
I quit smoking last year in May and I know for sure I will never smoke again. It was hard to decide to quit, but I can relate to Catland point 1. It works only if you just stop and that's it. Cutting the number of cigarettes doesn't work, or at least it didn't work for me.
I started smoking in the University in Romania - they used to smoke EVERYWHERE, on the street, in the dormitory and what I found strange inside the University. I had to smoke, it was unbearable to inhale others' smoke. When I returned to Moldova, I tried to quit 3 times by limiting the number of cigarettes per day. Ha-ha, I just started smoking less, but I was craving for one when somebody else was smoking. Last year, on May 15, I said to my friends: To celebrate the International Day without Smoking (May 31) I will not smoke until that day! Because it just worked so well, I decided not to smoke a cigarette again in my life. I am not sure, if I would try again if I could stop, so, why not quit for good now, while I can.

Good luck to all those who want to quit. It's easy when you don't let a small gate for yourself to come in and out. (I hope it's not confusing :p)

ScantyNebula
03-12-2003, 08:37 AM
My dad started smoking when he was 10 years old, and the worse part is, he smoked in the house all while I was growing up. Even at the supper table! I used to get so mad, I never did like smoking. He finally quit a couple years ago when he was 40. Whats really sad is when I go home and see 12 year olds outside the school smoking ... nasty stuff :(

RICHARD
03-12-2003, 11:34 AM
i smoke when i am on fire.
my old truck smoked and so does the chimney.

it's pretty funny when is see non smokers pass me on the freeway doing 85-90 cutting in and out of traffic..........

they won't smoke but they'll put everyone else in danger...

me, i'll take my chances with the people who want to kill me

s l o w l y.............

;)

anna_66
03-12-2003, 03:11 PM
I've noticed about 95% of you here don't smoke, and that is absolutely wonderful! And thank you to those of you who understand how hard it is to quit.
I want to say something, but don't get offensive, I'm not trying to be mean.
Tell me, do any of you drink? That is also addictive. I've seen many people die from blood alchol poisioning in 1 night, & how many people kill themselves & others while driving drunk (my uncle was killed by a drunk driver). I could smoke a whole carton & never die that night or kill someone because I didn't have control of my sense from smoking. So no, I don't think it should be against the law. If anything, alcohol should be against the law.

jenluckenbach
03-12-2003, 03:21 PM
NOPE. don't drink. at all, not even a little.

Desert Arabian
03-12-2003, 03:30 PM
The only thing I have tasted was a Godiva ice cream drink.

NoahsMommy
03-12-2003, 03:36 PM
I don't drink either. My body is allergic to alcohol too...fun huh?? Not that I mind...its bad for you anyway...why do something that is bad for you? (Strictly MY opinion)

I'm sure its hard to quit and its an personal decision. I think the ONLY reason it should be outlawed is the effects it has on other people. That's great if smokers go outside and away from people, that's very respectful. But I can't tell you how many times I've seen people smoking around children at little league games...that really pisses me off. Not only am I coughing my head off, but young children are getting exposed to it. That's wrong....

popcornbird
03-12-2003, 03:58 PM
Nope, don't drink. Never did, never will. I think it should be banned too.

Vio&Juni
03-13-2003, 02:27 AM
I drink beer when I go out.
Moldovan wine is very good and to not try it it's a pity. My friends (foreigners) always take wine from Moldova.
It's a pitty that some people get addicted, but I think it's important to respect some rules - never drink when you're down, never drink too much and keep the drinking only for parties.

marysmerrycats
03-13-2003, 02:45 AM
I don't drink, well I will have the occasional glass or 2 of wine. and that is very rarely. I don't drink anything else, just red wine maybe 4 or 5 times a year. when I was younger, I did drink with my friends, when I was 16-early 20's. I really don't care for alcohol now. it tastes awful and gives me a headache.

ok, now, how many of you are choc-aholics or sweet-aholics?
I am, bigtime! if oreos and m&m's were illegal, I'd bein prison LOL

marysmerrycats
03-13-2003, 02:46 AM
and have you seen all the new kinds of oreos there are? sheesh, there must be 26 kinds!!

Nomilynn
03-13-2003, 02:48 AM
I love coolers. They are yummy. I really don't think banning it would work.. people would still make it in their garages and stuff. And if someone drinks a beer next to me, I don't cough and hack from the second hand.. alcohol? LOL.. that's the difference. Yes alcohol is addictive but if someone has ONE drink it isn't necessarily endangering an entire room.

marysmerrycats
03-13-2003, 03:19 AM
no it just endangers the community if they get into the car after a few too many. I understand what you mean tho, second hand smoke is terrible. I hate the smell of smoke now.funny how I hate it but it makes me want one too, LOL
I forgot about coolers, ok I do have them, also rarely. a couple times a year I will buy a 4-pack of them.

they tried to make alcohol illegal once before it didn't work... about 70 or 80 years ago!

03-13-2003, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
The only thing I have tasted was a Godiva ice cream drink.

Woohoo , did you all know that the Godiva factory is Belgian ?!
Read it all here :http://www.godiva.com/about/faq.asp

Yummie chocolates :p :p :p

"From New York to Paris to Tokyo, it is Godiva that brings the best of Belgium to the world."

neko1
03-13-2003, 06:10 AM
OK I am a chocoholic!!! But I have no desire to quit!!!:D

I hate being at work an having animals come in that reek of smoke. Most of the time, you can smell them from a distance!! I wanna punch the owners! I can only imagine what it's doing to their poor little lungs. They are defenseless- they cannot tell their owners to stop. I always said that if I were one of these animals, I'd run away. Anything's got to be better than living in those conditions.

jenluckenbach
03-13-2003, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by neko1
OK I am a chocoholic!!! But I have no desire to quit!!!:D

well I am a cat-a-holic (sorry Johanna, did not mean to steal your name) and I have no desire to quit.

Vio&Juni
03-13-2003, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach

well I am a cat-a-holic (sorry Johanna, did not mean to steal your name) and I have no desire to quit.
I thought exactly the same, Jen, when I saw the question :D

Former User
03-13-2003, 06:27 AM
We drink very rarely, we buy maybe 10 bottles of red wine in a YEAR, so it's nothing. Unfortunately I know people who go out and drink themselves drunk every weekend :(

Andie
03-13-2003, 06:03 PM
Ok I know I'm gonna get flack for this because I'm underage but I do drink occasionaly but it's not very much. The most I have is half a wine cooler and I never ever drive (even with that little bit).

I am more of a quesidilla-aholic! LOL I have to have some at least once a week!

batgirl1980
03-13-2003, 06:44 PM
Nope. Never have, never will... neither does my hubby.

primabella
03-13-2003, 07:28 PM
i don't smoke. don't want to and probably won't. drinking, well here's the weird thing. i hate the smell. like a big loser..lol, i just can't stand it. i hate it also when we drink the champagne on new years and at weddings. i just don't like it. lol

Twisterdog
03-13-2003, 09:49 PM
I smoke. I've smoked for about fifteen years. It is a nasty, filthy, stupid thing to do, and I sincerely hope that all the young people on this board NEVER start it.

Sometimes, one starts to smoke because it's cool, or rebellious, or all one's friends do it, etc. And then, before one even thinks about it, one is addicted to nicotine, and is a smoker. That's what happened to me. No one ever plans or decides to smoke for the rest of their life. That's the danger of all things addictive ... smoking, drinking, drugs .... the addiction sets in before you even realize and you are hooked.

Actually, I'm trying to quit smoking right now. I have been gradually cutting down for the last two weeks. I am now smoking about five cigarettes per day ... compared to about thirty cigarettes two weeks ago. :D I have two packs left out of a carton, then I'm going to try to quit completely. I HATE trying to quit, I get so, so physically ill. It's a horrible thing to try to quit smoking. That's one of the reasons I haven't been posting much lately ... it's really hard for me to be on the computer for any length of time and not smoke, it's such a habit for me ... type, smoke ... type, smoke. Grrrrrrr ..... :mad:

Wish me luck!!!!!

COCatMama
03-13-2003, 09:51 PM
TD: try the patch, it worked for my mom
she smoked for almost 30 years!

neko1
03-14-2003, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach

Ok then I'm a chocoholic and a cat-a-holic!!! :D

jenluckenbach
03-14-2003, 06:10 AM
NO NO NO, 4 (cats) does not a cat-a-holic make. hee hee

I had 4 once, as a matter of fact, I had only 4 for 9 years, then WWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

what can I say?????????????????????

(j/k)