PDA

View Full Version : Dental scaling

wolf_Q
03-11-2003, 12:27 AM
I've been brushing Nebo's teeth since he was a tiny puppy. Several months ago I noticed the very back teeth on the top of his mouth having a buildup of tartar on them. It was driving me nuts...I'm weird, I know. Anyway, one of the girls at work had a dog dental scaler. And obviously, I'm not a vet, so I guess I shouldn't do it on my own...but I did. He was a good boy and let me scrape his back teeth, now they are all sparkling white! :D I'm thinking of buying a dental scaler (I guess that's what it's called) on my own to use...I figure it's easier then having him be put out and it done at the vet! (not that he needs that anyway). Has anyone else tried this with their dogs?

Cookiebaker
03-11-2003, 05:46 AM
No I haven't tried it, but must say that you are BRAVE! Malone barely lets me really get in there to brush. All he wants to do is chew the brush (either finger or regular) and whatever else may try and get in the way (MY fingers). :eek: Yes, I will try to brush, but not much beyond that. :eek:

micki76
03-11-2003, 08:42 AM
Yup. Used to do it every 4-6 months on my Westie, Stolly (RB). I would sit on the couch and he'd lay his head in my lap and open wide. He loved it! He was weird. :D He would lay there as long as necessary, then he'd get ice cream after!

lovemyshiba
03-11-2003, 09:38 AM
You are brave--Abbey would swallow my fingers!!!!
You're right, if he will let you do it, it's better than having him put out at the vet's--I can't imagine doing it to my dogs!!

*LabLoverKEB*
03-11-2003, 10:34 AM
Yes, I have done that with Sadie's teeth! She was very well behaved while I was doing it!