PDA

View Full Version : Oliver Update (Vet visit, pictures, etc.)

NoahsMommy
03-10-2003, 08:08 PM
Well, Oliver is back in his room, resting his voice. ;)

I took him to the vet for his checkup and he's perfect! They all fell in love with him...I guess they are partial to these blackie boys. :) He was good...but he didn't enjoy being on the table, he much prefered the floor. He was a little scared and I'm sure tired from the constant meowing for the 10 minute car ride. The vet appointment went as follows:

*Got there and placed his port-o-prision on the counter. The front office cat came over to investigate and Oliver liked him! They rubbed noses and office cat walked away. (A gorgeous brown Maine Coone)

*Got into a room and got him wieghed (12.5 lbs) and temp taken (in the ear!! Great huh?).

*The vet called the Humane Society because they never gave me any health records...I assumed they didn't have any. The visit and check up were free!

*I decided to get Soft Paws....due to the cuts he's given me over the last few days and to get him used to them. They had to do it for me, I need help and to see it one time before we attempt it at home. He was a trooper...he HATED being on the table, so they held him tight and pushed his head under the table....he actually began to PURR after that! :)

*Got him a new collar, a nice blue bandana pattern. We'll be able to know who's who now...blue nails AND a blue collar. :)

This vet is really, really great. It was so quiet in there and they are so knowledgable. They told me to keep the cats separated and in a week introduce ONE at a time. (Basie will be first) Prior to that, she said that they need to establish eye contact, but safely. So, I'm thinking of taking him outside on the balcony and having David take three in our bedroom and letting them stare at eachother one at a time through our slider.

Anyway....here are some pictures of him in his new collar, being cute and showing off those new nails!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid54/p0ac048766efdbd007e515dd46663dd57/fc85ad66.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid54/p186327341ba1e96b864905af4101e63d/fc85ad2b.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid54/p4ce907aae9197e7320c19ba6ee29e1fb/fc85ad54.jpg

slick
03-10-2003, 08:13 PM
AWWWWW look at those beautiful feeties......Love the ensemble, matching toes and bandana....

Don't worry, he'll come around, eventually. More pics please!

batgirl1980
03-10-2003, 08:18 PM
He looks so handsome, and even more so (as if that's possible!) with those blue nails!

Very glad to hear his vet check up was perfect!

NoahsMommy
03-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Here's our twins. :)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid54/pb3736121e1d068ab738efdd41e07dbb2/fc85adb8.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid42/pcfa6a5be11d5a2591b4546657f6ebf8e/fcec69ed.jpg

moosmom
03-10-2003, 09:11 PM
What a cute pair!!! And those nails! They are definitely making a "fashion statement".

Here's a little advice when introducing them. Put safety gates up in the doorway of a spare room, stacked one on top of the other (max 3 gates). Let the old timers have the run of the house and put the new kitty in the room (for his own safety). The gates will allow them to introduce themselves and get to know each others scent. This way you can leave the gates up while you're out. It always worked for me.

And yes, more pictures please :p

NoahsMommy
03-10-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by moosmom
Here's a little advice when introducing them. Put safety gates up in the doorway of a spare room, stacked one on top of the other (max 3 gates). Let the old timers have the run of the house and put the new kitty in the room (for his own safety). The gates will allow them to introduce themselves and get to know each others scent. This way you can leave the gates up while you're out. It always worked for me.
Great idea!!!! I have some friends with children...I bet we could borrow theirs for a bit. Thank you!!!

shais_mom
03-11-2003, 12:36 AM
So glad that the vet visit went so well!!!
What a big boy he is!!!:eek:
They are both gorgeous!!! I am so happy for you!

kimlovescats
03-11-2003, 01:06 AM
He is so beautiful ... and what a good boy he was at the vet!!!
I really love his cool collar and those blue toenails too! Are the softpaws very expensive? I have battle scars all over my body... LOL!!!:D

NoahsMommy
03-11-2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by kimlovescats
He is so beautiful ... and what a good boy he was at the vet!!!
I really love his cool collar and those blue toenails too! Are the softpaws very expensive? I have battle scars all over my body... LOL!!!:D Thanks. :) I really like his new collar too. It's handmade and has a safety latch.

The Soft Paws were $19.99 for a set of 40 nail caps and two tubes of glue. You only need to apply them to the front paws, so they last at least four applications. I;m really glad to know that my new vet sells them...I was worried about picking the right size initially. Just for your referance, Oliver wears the large size. :)

Former User
03-11-2003, 01:30 AM
I'm glad we have black cat already, because after seeing these pics, I'd want one so badly! Oliver is handsome, the blue collar suits him! And Olivia is beautiful, pink goes with black :D
What a wonderful pair you have there Kelly. Now, if Basil will turn to black too.... ;)

Nomilynn
03-11-2003, 01:59 AM
What a sweetie!!! He looks very handsome and I love the blue nails hehe.. so cute!! :D

Vio&Juni
03-11-2003, 04:55 AM
He's so cute with the blue collar and the blue nails :)
AAAAAAAW I want a black kitty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My cats were mostly black - Naomi - Juni's mom, and Vasea's grandmothers (Vasea is Juni's father) were black. I hope Juni will have at least one black kitten. As you know, she doesn't have a zipper :p

tomkatzid
03-11-2003, 05:01 AM
He does look so cute with his 'blueness'.
Keep us posted on how the nails work out. Kelcee might like to try some hot pink ones to match her necklace.:D

neko1
03-11-2003, 05:25 AM
Awww so cute! I love the blue bandana collar! glad to hear everything went well at the vets.:)

jenluckenbach
03-11-2003, 05:42 AM
Way to go Oliver! And what a great vet, too.

The baby gates are a great idea. I had something similar. I have a 6' free-standing-3-way wooden lattice (boy I hope you know what I mean) that we put up between rooms. Worked great. Biddy REALLY wanted to boss the others around, but he got his share of "what for" and it really did not take that long. All will be fine, I am sure of that.

neko1
03-11-2003, 06:03 AM
Hmmm Lattice...good idea. I would have never thought of using that!

smokey the elder
03-11-2003, 07:45 AM
What a handsome cat, and a sexy pedicure, too!;)

lailamara
03-11-2003, 08:12 AM
I'm looking forward to seeing a picture of Oliver and Olivia together. Lovely pair they will make :D in a week or so.:D

03-11-2003, 08:23 AM
Oh my , what cuteness-overload is this !!! They look like twins !!

A question about those nail caps : how long do they stay on the nails ? Doesn't your cat try to bite them off ?? I don't know if those are available here . It would be kind of handy for my "play-devil" Inka ...:rolleyes: :D ... Sometimes , my hand have so many scars , that people ask me "You have a naughty cat mam?" :D

Cataholic
03-11-2003, 09:36 AM
WOW!!! Oliver is one big boy, isn't he???:D :D

what a cutie pie, and how wonderful the vet visit went well. I know the introductions will go smoothly. Why does Basie have to be first??? He might be scared...cause he is still such a little baby..:D

2kitties
03-11-2003, 09:37 AM
He is absolutely beautiful. As human to an all black kitty, I have a personal bias for these sleek beautiful fellows!!!;)

Baby gates are a great idea. When I introduced Rocky to Taz, I took the screen door off the front of the house and rigged it between Rocky's bedroom and the rest of the house. They growled and sniffed at each other through the screen for a few days. My house is now back to its original setup, though, and the boys are best buds.

Gorgeous blue ensemble! Love the fashion!

NoahsMommy
03-11-2003, 11:20 AM
Jen,
Lattace is a great idea...and Home Depot is just down the street. Thanks!

Cataholic,
Basie needs to be first because he LOVES other cats and is very submissive during introductions. I'll be there, so he wont be scared, he's my little baby!! :)

Lut,
They can last up to three months!! I was surprised when they told me that, pleasantly. As soon as they were on, Oliver forgot they were there. Cool huh? I bet Inka would look REALLY cute with a manicure. You can order them at www.softpaws.com

Everyone else, thanks for the sweet words. I'll be sure and pass them on. :D

OK, I'm off to my upper GI....can't wait!! :rolleyes:

Logan
03-11-2003, 11:33 AM
I can't see any pictures. :( Seems that lots of signatures and pictures are showing up with the Red X right now. Maybe something is up with Imagestation, which I know most of you use.

I'm so glad he had a good vet visit, Kelly! And kudos for you going the Soft Paws route! Can't wait to be able to see him sporting his new collar and blue toenails!!!! :)

Miss Meow
03-11-2003, 02:52 PM
I'm so glad it all went well :) Good luck with introducing him to your crew. Hopefully Basie can word the others up that Oliver is a very special guy and to be nice to him :D

jenluckenbach
03-11-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy

Cataholic,
Basie needs to be first because he LOVES other cats and is very submissive during introductions. I'll be there, so he wont be scared, he's my little baby!! :)

you know, even across the miles, I had a feeling it would be Basil who should go first. Guess you must describe them pretty well over the internet.;)

ChrisH
03-11-2003, 06:19 PM
Oh, my, how gorgeous can you get!:) Super handsome Oliver and super beauty Olivia, what a stunning pair of kittys!

Chris

krazyaboutkatz
03-12-2003, 12:17 AM
Kelly, I'm so glad that Oliver's vet visit went well. He sure is a gorgeous boy and very stylish too with his blue nails and matching collar. :) Olivia is also very beautiful. :)

HayleyRosie
03-12-2003, 06:42 AM
I am happy everything went well at the Vet's office. I love the blue nails. I'm thinking about ordering them for Hayley. Maybe I'll get her pink. Pink would look good on a grey cat don't you think?

All Creatures Great And Small
03-12-2003, 09:20 AM
That's a pretty clever idea, using the colored nails to tell the kitties apart! Too bad I can't do that with YLL's rats - I just have to memorize their markings :rolleyes:, and I'm usually wrong :o .
(I still refer to Nugget and Sweet Pea as "the brownies", since they are almost identical) :p

Oliver is so lovely - what fun to have a new "baby" in the house!

marysmerrycats
03-12-2003, 09:41 AM
that is so cute! I love the nails, does the other cat have pink nails?

do those work well? do they bother the cats at all?

ramanth
03-12-2003, 10:50 AM
Great to hear that Oliver is in good health. :D He's so adorable and blue suits him very well. :)

I hope the introductions go well!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-12-2003, 11:15 AM
I love the blue collar with matching nails - so chic of Oliver. ;) :D

I'm so glad to hear everything went well at the vet. I'm sure he'll be part of the group in no time. :)

NoahsMommy
03-12-2003, 12:18 PM
Thanks guys! :) I love his Soft Paws so much! I was playing with him yesteday with a mousie and he was on his back. (cutie!!) He kept getting my hands because those mice are so small and it didn't hurt! LOVE those things! :)

We are getting them put on all the cats. I have an appointment today to take Noel in for her set of pink ones. I know it sounds stupid...we have to pay to have them put on...not because its hard, but because my hubby and I are babies and our cats aren't used to having their paws touched. We will reapply them when they fall off a few at a time, though. I think we can do Basie at home too...he's used to having his paws touched.

Noah goes in for his bath and tummy-only haircut this Sunday and I've asked them to apply his too. Is it any wonder it took Basie a hundred years to take his pill?? Jeeesh! :rolleyes:

Anyway, Oliver sends his love. :D

wolflady
03-12-2003, 01:00 PM
How sweet! What a cutie pie Oliver is! I agree, aren't those soft paws things the greatest invention?? I'm so glad that Marius is such an easy cat. You'll soon get the hang of applying the caps yourselves. It might take both of you at first, until you master the "soft paws application grip" on kitty and can do it yourself! LOL LOL ;)
They usually last about a month (about the time it takes for kitty to shed his/her nails), and they'll just come off randomly, so it should be pretty easy to reapply them as they come off. I've been doing it for years, just in case you need any tips! LOL LOL ;)

How did your upper GI go yesterday??
**hugs**
Karen

Russian Blue
03-12-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by wolflady
They usually last about a month (about the time it takes for kitty to shed his/her nails), and they'll just come off randomly, so it should be pretty easy to reapply them as they come off. I've been doing it for years, just in case you need any tips! LOL LOL ;)

How did your upper GI go yesterday??
**hugs**
Karen

NoahsMommy, do you have wood floors or carpet? If you'll be putting soft claws on all the cats and have wood floors, then you'll have alot of clicking going on! It will be like to many people tap dancing *lol*

And if soft claws come off randomly, what happens if the cat eats it? Nakita seems to eat everything off the floor, so she would have a belly full of claws! :rolleyes:

I was going to ask also, how did your appointment go yesterday?

;)

NoahsMommy
03-12-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Russian Blue
NoahsMommy, do you have wood floors or carpet? If you'll be putting soft claws on all the cats and have wood floors, then you'll have alot of clicking going on! It will be like to many people tap dancing *lol*

And if soft claws come off randomly, what happens if the cat eats it? Nakita seems to eat everything off the floor, so she would have a belly full of claws! :rolleyes:

I was going to ask also, how did your appointment go yesterday?

;)

We have carpet...but our kitchen and entry way have wood, so it'll be cute to hear it! :) If they eat them, they are safe to swallow and pass right through. That is one of the questions I had too. :)

My test went well yesterday...the barium was discusting, but its over. :) I got to see my colon and small intestine on the screen, that was really wierd. The dr. in radiology said everything looked fine on first glance, which I intrepret to mean...more tests. But...as I told God in my dressing room, if you want me to have more tests, you'll have to help me get through them. I know He'll only give me what I can handle. My followup appointment with my GI is on the 20th. He'll have these results back as well as the blood test back (blood sucking...lol Karen!! :D ) by then.

Thanks so much for asking. :)

Russian Blue
03-12-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy

Thanks so much for asking. :)[/COLOR]

You know that if I didn't keep tabs on Basil's mommy's health, Nakita would be very mad at me!

Just so you don't feel alone, I will have to get a coloscopy in the future. My father passed away from Colon cancer so I have to get checked also. See, we all get to share in these 'fun' tests!

:rolleyes:

Seriously, glad you are getting progress with better medical guidance!

Chin Up!

;)

NoahsMommy
03-12-2003, 02:46 PM
Thanks Nakita's mommy! :)

Oooh....we both get to have that test done??? How soon do you have to have that done? I've heard from many people that the worse part is the prep.

Thanks again. :D

tomkatzid
03-12-2003, 04:46 PM
I go on the 27th to talk about the test. I was too scared to just jump in and have it done. Hopefully the prep is the worst part:p

Russian Blue
03-12-2003, 06:45 PM
Kelly, I don't have to get my test done till I reach 40. When this disease runs in the family, doctors usually test people 10 - 15 years earlier than when your family member was diagnosed with Colon cancer.

My stepfather and a close friend just had a colonoscopy done. They said, by far, the preparation is the worst part of the whole procedure. They were sedated and did not feel any discomfort during the procedure.

If your interested, here is a good resource I found on the internet: Colonoscopy (http://www.colonoscopy.com/)

Tomkatzid, go for the procedure. Early prevention is the best thing you can do to stop the #2 cancer killer.

;)

NoahsMommy
03-12-2003, 10:37 PM
Russian Blue,

THANK YOU for finding that site!!!! So much. :)