PDA

View Full Version : Trading Spaces

lovemyshiba
03-10-2003, 06:35 PM
I noticed some of you mentioned this show on another thread--don't you just love it!!!
I watch it every day when I can, and I love to get ideas from it.
Who are your favorite designers, and favorite episodes or rooms, and the opposite--least favorite designers, least favorite episodes, and rooms???
Which carpenter do you like better, Amy or Ty?

Here is my take on all of the designers:
Vern--wonderful--never saw anything I didn't like from him
Gen--great, she has a few I didn't enjoy, but mostly I like her
Doug--he is very talented, and most of his stuff is good, but he does do a few strange things--like the bedroom he turned into a boxcar
Laurie--not my taste at all, but her stuff usually looks good
Hildi--not for me at all--I would be frightened if I found out she was in my house with a paintbrush and sewing machine
and of course, Frank--he looks like such a sweet man!! I love when he does kids' rooms--he is so creative!! He's not necessarily my taste either, but I don't remember that many people not liking their rooms that he has done!!

There was an episode when the lady cried at the end--didn't like that one--and they show it all the time; I don't care much for the fraternity/sorority house makeovers, and Hildi did a room that looked like a circus tent once--yuck!!!!

Jessica12345
03-10-2003, 06:44 PM
i love that show! although i dont see it very often and dont know the designers names by heart... lol ;) :p

Fuzzy317
03-10-2003, 06:47 PM
I commented on the other thread that I like the other show, "While you were out". They get a husband/wife/S.O. out of the house for 2 days, and they redo a room in the house. Some changes I liked :), some I didn't :(

catland
03-10-2003, 07:17 PM
I've seen enough to comment and to know that I would never want to be on the show.

Doug - I used to cringe at his work but itis starting to grow on me. Some of his newer stuff has been nice - like the bedroom with the impressionist "paintings" on the wall.
Vern - always looks good.
Frank - he's such a sweetie and actually seems to want to do what's best for the homeowners - also, his stuff is easy to change back if you don't like it.
Gen - wasn't she the moss lady? 'nuff said.
Laurie - I like her stuff.
Hildi - total basket case. She's the one person I would NOT want in my home because she doesn't care if she ruins things (the couch she painted pink, the wallpaper she painted over which just ruins the wall, the things she does to fireplaces:eek: )

If I had to hire a carpenter, I'd probably want Amy Wynn over Ty. He sure is cute but seems to spent too much time mugging for the camera and then falls behind.

slleipnir
03-10-2003, 07:19 PM
I love the show too. I usually only watch it on like Fridays or Saturdays though. I like both Amy and Ty actually lol, they both see pretty good :] Mind you, I like Andrew from While you Were Out..love his accent lmao. He built this amazing desk in one of them, I WANTED IT!!!
For the designers, I like Vern, his stuff always seems to nice, Doug is usually pretty nice too, but I agree with you, some is..er, kinda out there. lol. I don't really like Laurie or Hildie, some are ok, but most of the time I don't care to much for it :x

Chinadoll
03-10-2003, 08:09 PM
Love that show!
Laurie-Is that the curly haired red head? If so I like her stuff.
Hildi-Must agree, she's a bit extreme
Ty-wish I could make half the things he does...I'd never buy furniture again.
Since I have so much time now that Joey is away, I think I'm going to attempt some weekend projects. I too love to get ideas from the show. Now if only I could figure out why the darn bobbin in my sewing machine won't work properly, I'd be set!

micki76
03-10-2003, 08:17 PM
Doug - Yikes what a jerk he is to his team. Hate his stuff.
Vern - Nice guy, I like most of his work.
Hildi - Scary Scary Scary!!!! :eek: I would not let this woman into my house or my friends house! (artificial flowers of ALL colors glued all over the walls in the bathroom)
Frank - Super nice man, but too country for me.
Gen - Kooky and fun, some of her work is cool, some too far out.
Laurie - Probably my favorite. I like most of her work and would like to see what she does with a real budget.

Who are those new people? I think the newest guy is Edward. Yucky stuff. Always seems to do the same thing.
And I can't remember the newest woman, but I hate her stuff! Anyone see the graveyard in the bedroom? :eek:

And Ty. Ah Ty. He's so cute!:o

aly
03-10-2003, 09:55 PM
I watch Trading Spaces and While You Were Out ALLLLLLLLLL the time... I even watch the ones I've already seen over and over and over again.

My take on the designers :

Laurie - Usually like her stuff. Sometimes its not quite my style but I usually do like it.

Frank - Big sweetie! He's so cooperative and easy going. He's changed his plans a lot at the peoples' suggestions. Did you guys see the episode where the cockatiel pooped on his head? I was laughing SO HARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I didn't like that monkey desk he did in that episode. It clashed with the walls and was a little scary).

Hildy - This woman drives me insane. She has no respect for the homeowners, she will not listen to ANYONE else's opinions, and she's just plain annoying. She has awful ideas and I almost can't even stand to watch the episodes she's in. I hated the one where she did the circus room and the flower bathroom was hideous. I'll stop on her now because I could go on all day about what all I don't like about her :rolleyes:

Genevieve - She's pretty funky and cool. I almost always like her results. I don't always see the big picture when she busts open the paint cans, but it usually works out.

Doug - I dislike him almost as much as that snot Hildy. He also has no respect for the home owners and is unwilling to compromise. His rooms are usually awful. I would NEVER want him or Hildy to do a room in my house.

Vern - I like his style. He can redo my house anyday.

I like both Ty and Amy Wyn. Ty cracks me up. He's hilarious. TLC did a Makeover Story with Ty and Amy. Ty was SO FUNNY in it.

Nomilynn
03-11-2003, 01:18 AM
I like those shows but I don't get the channel they are aired on :( TLC isn't part of the regular cable package. Sigh :( ;)

NoahsMommy
03-11-2003, 01:40 AM
I LOVE Trading Spaces. Since we live in an apartment, its my outlet for decorating. :)

Laurie - I really like her style...but she's really snobby.
Frank - He's a very sweet man....but I hate his style.
Hildy - I can't even tell you how much she bothers me! I can't get that episode where she painted the couches pink out of my head! :rolleyes:
Genevieve - I like most of her things...she's a sweetie too.
Doug - DON'T like him....same category as Hildy. Some of his stuff is pretty neat...but his attitude ruins it all.
Vern - Love him, love his style!! He can come over any day!

Did you all see the one where Vern got mad at Amy Wyn??? He got really grouchy and mad!!! EEEP! :eek:

And yes...Ty...he sure is a cutie.... ;)

neko1
03-11-2003, 05:33 AM
I love that show!! I love Frank's work cause I love the country style (love my country kitchen b.w.!!:D ) Everyone else is just sorta there for me. Except for those new people, I don't like them.

Crikit
03-11-2003, 09:09 AM
Love that show I watch it when ever I remember that it's on. :D

Anyhoo I don't really have a fave carpenter, just because I was raised to respect wood (does that make sense?) and both Ty and Amy do such a good job on the projects that I can't like one more then the other.

As for the designers, I would have to say my faves are Frank and Gen, just because I always seem to like their rooms. They're always so quirky and funky.

Not a big fan of Laurie or Hildi though, the stuff they do just scares me sometimes...I mean hello, hay on the walls? What the heck is up with that.

lovemyshiba
03-11-2003, 09:41 AM
There was an episode on yesterday where Doug was wearing leather pants--gross!!!!!!

The monkey desk that Frank did scared me too, I can only imagine having it in a kid's room:eek:

Dakota's Mommy
03-11-2003, 03:06 PM
Yes, I like to watch Trading Spaces. I don't know, for some reason I just enjoy watching those type of shoes, that one and While You Were Out are the ones that I see the most though!

aly
03-11-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy

Did you all see the one where Vern got mad at Amy Wyn??? He got really grouchy and mad!!! EEEP! :eek:

YES!! The one where he said he was going to come back next season as a carpenter? Hehehe

sammi
03-12-2003, 08:55 PM
Try to catch it when I think of it! Hate Hildy - she is soooooo weird. That bathroom with all those flowers! Wouldn't that be fun to dust off? I like Frank - so easy going and dosen't get to carried away.