PDA

View Full Version : sick betta

wolfsoul
03-07-2003, 11:11 PM
my friends' betta is very sick...they dont know whats wrong with it....it doesnt swim around, and its belly is VERY swollen...it looks discusting, really....its belly is HUGE....it hasnt been eating either....my friend, jeh, thinks that maybe it cant go defecate or something...:confused: anyone know what this could be?

tikeyas_mom
03-13-2003, 11:57 AM
What kind of aquarium is it housed in? If it is in a bowl or a jar that can be the problem. The betta has bactera growing on him and it is mostlikely has dropsy or swim bladder disease. Tell your friend to get this medican :(maracyn-2), ... or maybe try changing his diet to a more suitible brand of tropical fish food.
Does he look as if his tail is too heavy for him and he drags it along? If so he has swim bladder disease AKA DROPSY...

It might also be a form of constipation. Is he poopin ok?
good luck.. :)

wolfsoul
03-14-2003, 07:20 PM
They said that they thought he was constipated...
but I don't even know if he's alive anymore...
I haven't talked to the neighbors since last saturday and I forgot to ask..:(
He wasn't swimming at all...I had to take a second look to make sure he wasn't dead...his gills were moving, but otherwise he was just floating there...it would suck if he died cuz the last betta that they had for four years just went to the rainbow bridge...and the owner was so upset, so they get another for him for his birthday...I hope this one turns out ok...
oh, i almost forgot, he's in a fish bowl

RockyRoad
03-14-2003, 07:57 PM
I'm sorry about your friend's Beta. Sometimes when they are sick, it is hard to find out what it is, let alone treat it. I wish I came to the health section more, I could have had my dad help.

wolfsoul
03-14-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by FloppsyLadySally89

I'm sorry about your friend's Beta. Sometimes when they are sick, it is hard to find out what it is, let alone treat it. I wish I came to the health section more, I could have had my dad help.
does your dad know alot about bettas? :)
It is definatly hard to find out what is in when a fish is sick...and a vet would probably just tell you to forget it if you took a fish in :( I hope the betta is alright...It's in the little girl's room...she would probably be sad if it died :(

RockyRoad
03-15-2003, 06:26 PM
My dad has owned Betas since he was a kid, and knows a lot about fish. He has practically a whole library on fish books, and has read almost all of them. He spends his weekends working on the tanks, and spends a lot of time finding the right addition to any of the tanks. So yeah, I could say he knows a lot about Betas.
I hope the Beta is okay as well. I know I would be very upset if any of my beauties passed away. Kelsey is very weak, and not swimming around as much and not eating. I hope he's not getting sick.:(

wolfsoul
03-15-2003, 06:59 PM
I hope Kelsey is alright :)
Ashley's (chibi_star's) betta passed away a few months ago...she was really upset, because she had has it for four years....maybe she will tell you about it....
how long does the average betta live?

RockyRoad
03-15-2003, 07:07 PM
My dad said that Betas can live for a few years. I hope my Betas live that long. I'm sorry to hear about Ashley's Beta. Fish can mean a lot to a person, they are not "just a fish" like some pople say.

P.S. I created a thread about Kelsey on Pet General. It turns out he is not doing as well as we thought.:(

tikeyas_mom
03-15-2003, 07:39 PM
In the pic of kelsy in your sig it doesnt look to happy or healthy either.

RockyRoad
03-15-2003, 07:58 PM
In the pic of kelsy in your sig it doesnt look to happy or healthy either.

:( :( :(
I hope that was meant as a joke in some sick way. I did not find it comforting at all. :( :mad: :(

wolfsoul
03-15-2003, 09:13 PM
I was sad when my fish died...I don't think that they are "just a fish" like some people say, but I do find that my grieving period doesn't last as long as it might if it were a dog or something that I can feel a connection with...
I had goldfish before...I would really much rather have a betta though...goldfish don't last very long lol...I had one of those really fat ones with googly eyes named Mr. Blubber lol...my first one was named Gingy (compliments of my brother :rolleyes: ) and there was Goober and Trixi...
The only one that lived was Goober, and we got so tired of them dieing that my mother gave him to my aunt...he now lives happilly in a tank with a few other fish :)

RockyRoad
03-15-2003, 09:25 PM
I used to have a tank full of goldfish...and now I have a tank full of hatchetfish & glass catfish. Goldfish are supposed to live long, and some do, but mine just kept dying. We tried everything; diet change, water change, gravel change, etc. Nothing ever worked.

BTW~ Thanks to some helpful information, we have figured out that Kelsey has Swim Bladder Disorder, and that he is not suffering (pain-wise). We are making a complete water change tomorrow, and are going to change his diet. :) I'm glad we found out what he has, and that it is treatable.

P.S. I'm sorry about your goldfish

wolfsoul
03-15-2003, 09:32 PM
That's too bad Kelsey is sick, but hey, that's great that he's in no pain and that you know what it is! :) I hope the diet and water change work out for him...:) atleast everything will turn out fine :D

RockyRoad
03-15-2003, 09:33 PM
Thanks!:)

tikeyas_mom
03-15-2003, 10:05 PM
I just ment that since you were metioning that your betta was sick I thought I'd say that it doesnt look that healthy in the pic compared to the other bettas.. I hope it gets better.

RockyRoad
03-15-2003, 10:06 PM
Oh, I see now. I guess I'm too quick to jump to conclusions. Thanks.:)

tikeyas_mom
03-16-2003, 01:22 PM
It looks happy in the new pic though .. :)

wolfsoul
03-16-2003, 02:05 PM
OMG!! I just saw your new siggy, FloppsyLadySally89!!!
I'm so sorry! :( That's so sad! I thought he would get better :( awww....

RockyRoad
03-16-2003, 02:27 PM
Thanks. I thought he would get better too, but then I woke up, and he was ... yeah. :(

tikeyas_mom
03-16-2003, 03:00 PM
om,g that is soo sad I am so sorry for your loss, I hope you bury him. And not flush him down the toilet. (some ppl do that) :mad:

RockyRoad
03-16-2003, 03:10 PM
I wouldn't flush him. I wouldn't want him to end up in a smelly sewer with vomit and droppings all over...gross. We buried him this morning. We even put some flowers over his burial site.

tikeyas_mom
03-16-2003, 05:21 PM
good. I bury all my pets and plant beautiful flowers over their graves as well. I am sorry again that your baby kelsey died. :(

ScantyNebula
03-28-2003, 09:52 AM
go here betta talk (http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm)

sounds like the betta has a serious disease .. usually fatal unfortunately :( Search down the list on that website for bloated bellies..

iceyshiver21
03-29-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by ScantyNebula
go here betta talk (http://www.bettatalk.com/betta_diseases.htm)

sounds like the betta has a serious disease .. usually fatal unfortunately :( Search down the list on that website for bloated bellies..

Thats a great site!!

wolfsoul
03-29-2003, 10:41 PM
Thanks for your replies everyone, but the fish is now at the RB :(

RockyRoad
03-30-2003, 09:58 AM
Oh I'm so sorry to hear about the Betta. :( Hopefully s/he will be playing with Kelsey on the RB.

iceyshiver21
03-30-2003, 10:05 AM
aawwww.....Oh RB, you now hold two Kelseys and a Zim Gir, and the millions of others, thank you for taking care of them till we are there.