PDA

View Full Version : What color should I get???

tikeyas_mom
03-07-2003, 09:07 PM
What color should I get??

http://www.exotictropicals.com/encyclo/birds/cockatiels/images/grey0.jpg grey?

http://www.showtiels.com/cockatiels/lutinogrchamp2.jpg another Yellow??

http://www.aviannetwork.com/cockatiels/philia.jpg A yellow/ white???

http://www.nitasnest.homestead.com/files/10and11and12AG2001tielsresized1forweb.jpg A white??? Or pure Grey?????

http://www.petoftheday.com/archive/2000/January/04.jpg pure dove like white??????

http://www.classiccreatures.com/twockssliceC.jpg Yellow grey???????

There are sooo many to choose from, you guyz have to help me out!!!!! :D

wolfsoul
03-07-2003, 10:58 PM
i usually find that the grey ones have better personalities when i see them in the petshop...im not sure why...arent the females grey and the males white? or something? dont mind me i know nothing about birds lol...r u getting one soon? they always have them at total pet...:)

CathyBogart
03-08-2003, 01:02 AM
I am especially fond of Lutinos. That would definitely be what I went for, but that's my preference.

Jessica12345
03-08-2003, 11:03 AM
i fell in love with this one... a cinnamon pearl cockatiel!

:D

primabella
03-08-2003, 11:34 AM
i also don't see how color affects gender or attitude. oh well...:D

i like best out of all these the one jess attached. its so pretty. but you should also pick the one with the best personality. (i don't know if that's the bets way to put it)

tikeyas_mom
03-08-2003, 12:30 PM
thanks guys I will go by who picks my :D...

oh ya and how do you figure out what gender Tiels are???

primabella
03-08-2003, 01:08 PM
i doubt its the same but with 'keets they have a colored patch (i forgot the right word :confused: ) if the patch is brown, its a female. if it is blue, its a male.

Jessica12345
03-08-2003, 01:08 PM
You get parrots DNA tested by a nail or feather. I dont know if its the same for tiels?:confused: good luck:)

Jessica12345
03-08-2003, 01:20 PM
also the electus i beleive it was. The females are purple and red and the males are green:)

Jessica12345
03-08-2003, 01:27 PM
omg me2! I was gonna get a female electus instead of tiki, but my mom freaked out because it was too big. lol:D Im glad she did though!:)

Jessica12345
03-08-2003, 01:46 PM
i know! :)

o ya and i was wondering... do popcorn and muffin have a web site????:D

Jessica12345
03-08-2003, 02:35 PM
I have mine on geocities right now too. And Im making another for just tiki and im gonna put lots of cute birdy pics:D

tikeyas_mom
03-08-2003, 03:58 PM
I could tell Spanky is a boy because he has blue nosrtills :).. Ok thanks for the advise.. I dont really care if it is a boy or gurl. I just want another tiel.. :D

wolfsoul
03-08-2003, 06:15 PM
its probably just a coincedence that the grey ones at the petshop are nicer than the others lol....they are probably just more socialized or something ;)

tikeyas_mom
03-08-2003, 06:50 PM
I went to toal pet today wolfsoul and there cockatiels are like 120 or something bucks .. Yikes

wolfsoul
03-08-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
I went to toal pet today wolfsoul and there cockatiels are like 120 or something bucks .. Yikes
eep! r u sure? they r supposed to be forty dollars...not like thats not expensive lol...did u try petcetera?
that would have been funny if i went to total pet and saw u and didnt even know it lol....mines the house that lives right behind it :D

tikeyas_mom
03-08-2003, 07:06 PM
were you there today?? lol that would beee sooo funny if we just missed each other lol.. LMAO!!

wolfsoul
03-08-2003, 07:10 PM
were you there today?? lol that would beee sooo funny if we just missed each other lol.. LMAO!!
i didnt go today, but i go almost every other day lol...today i was desperatly trying to clean my entire room...we had ppl coming over to look at our house, so ya know...and then i had to babysit and uggh it was a hectic day heehee :rolleyes:

tikeyas_mom
03-08-2003, 07:11 PM
check your emails..

luckies4me
03-08-2003, 07:46 PM
My favorites are pearls and latinos, although PCB I do have to point out that the "albino" you pictured is not a true albino, that's a BEW. True Albinos will have pink eyes. We used to breed tiels and man you wouldn't believe the color combinations we got! Amazing little fellas! :D

As far as the greys being nicer, in my experience having lived with tiels ALL my life, well since I was 5 lol, I have noticed that latinos seem to be more aloof, as well as skittish, whereas the pearls are the most happiess of all. Now this is just my experience with these birds, not a fact!;)

tikeyas_mom
03-08-2003, 08:31 PM
If you were to sell teil I think you wouldent get much buisness. I would personally never but a teil or any pet for 200$ that is rediculas(sp?) .. I got my dog for $150.00 and she is pure bred.
I just think that 60$ for a bird is kinda silly. @ lest I know that I would never be able to buy one if they were all 100-200 $... :eek: how much did you get your birds for ?? I got Cheeko for free. I also got Spanky for 10.00$. :p And even though they are cheep they are still great pets exna the fact that cheeko bites and hisses at everyone.. lol :D

tikeyas_mom
03-08-2003, 08:41 PM
Birds are more expensive than other pets (dogs/cats). Not cockatiels, but birds in general. Macaws are usually priced at $3000-$4000. Everyone sells their tiels here for $100 + and they all make good business. The ones that sell them cheap don't! They have their birds for months without selling. I don't know the price of cockatiels in your area, but they are $100 + here, and $70 if you're lucky and get them on sale.

Here birds are not more exspensive then other pets. I live in B.C. Canada if that helps. Some pet stores over charge I think. For instance today I went to total pet and they has 3 grey cockatiels and they were all like $160.00 . And I could find a cockatiel for like less then half that price.

Macaws are aroung 300$ here as well as Cockatoos..

The price range in pet stores here is 100+ as well. I would and never have bought a teil and I dont plan on paying more for the bird then I did for the cage and other stuff.

I have a HUGE cage with a stand that my mom found for sale for $50.00 and the man bought it for like $200.00 ..We got a major deal on it. I will take the bird for a vet check and crap. But I dont think the breeder will let me take the bird without paying ..

:cool:

Jessica12345
03-08-2003, 09:17 PM
tiki was $900 and NO that is NOT rediculous. its a bird!

jewels was $1200

jordan was $500, but we got him 12 years ago when prices were a lot lower:rolleyes:

wolfsoul
03-08-2003, 09:52 PM
i agree with tikeyas_mom, that birds here are cheap compared to alot of animals...at total pet, the dogs can be expensive...small dogs are sold for between 300 and 400 dollars, and large purebred dogs are between 100 and 200 dollars....large mutt dogs are between 40 and 100 dollars...but their rodents are really cheap compared to petcetera...but thats cuz total pet sells their rodents as snake food :(
and u said that the macaws there are about 3000-4000 dollars?! :eek: they had a macaw named bentley at total pet one time, and he was sold for 1000...he was originally 1500 though but he was at the petshop for a couple years :(

wolfsoul
03-08-2003, 10:01 PM
check your emails..
way ahead of you lol ;)

zanzanfergie
03-09-2003, 12:16 AM
My first ever tiel was a lutino, named Charlie. I got him for my tenth birthday
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid54/p14e4247dd3ee110445d6140b3f070d76/fc8888a6.jpg
He was a little clown, too, Popcornbird, so it may be a lutino thing! He was the happiest, friendliest little bird and i'd rush home after school to take him out of his cage and he'd be waiting by the door of his cage, whistling and bobbing up and down. Anyway, the point of this story is that it really is difficult to tell a cockatiel's sex, because when I was thirteen Charlie died laying her very first egg. She never gave us any reason to think she was a girl - she whistled and acted clownish and hypo, just like a little boy.
And regarding price, we paid $AU90 for Lachie, which is about $45 American. But tiels are native to Australia, so I guess that makes a difference.
Congratulations Tikeya's Mom, too! It looks like we're getting a whole new generation of tiels here at Pet Talk!

tikeyas_mom
03-09-2003, 01:13 AM
your tiel look just like my Cheeko :)

CathyBogart
03-09-2003, 01:56 AM
The owner of the store I work at has two breeding pairs of Hyacinth Macaws. The young ones all sell for at LEAST $8,000.

$120 is a good price for a Tiel. I'm with Popcornbird....If there was someone selling Tiels for $40 I wouldn't buy from them, for fear that I was buying a vet bill with wings. So many people come into the store all ready to buy a bird and then balk at the price of the bird, or the cage.

"What do you MEAN the cages are over $100? Do you have any for under $30?" NO!!

aly
03-09-2003, 01:57 AM
I love cockatiels so much. I've been close to getting one or two several times. I think I decided to wait until I have a house though so I can safely keep my kitty cat seperated from them at all times. I don't think she'd hurt them, but I don't want to find out!

I was in the pet store for cat food today and went in to say hi to the cockatiels. I fell in love with the sweetest little gray one. I kept clicking my tongue and she'd do a dance for me :D

zanzanfergie
03-09-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by popcornbird

OMG! OMG! OMG! That's MY Popcorn! LOL! She's doing the same thing as Popcorn too, and he looks JUST like her! CUTIE PIE! I believe cockatiels should be lower priced in Australia because they are native to the country. :)

Mmm, yes I think so. They go up to about $150 ($US75) here I think, although I bought from a private breeder, so it was cheaper for me. She loved her birds but just had completely too many, so she was just glad to let them go to people who were going to look after them.
Do you have Galah's as pets over there? They're native to Australia too...but I don't know if you call them Galah's or not. They're a kind of parrot too, and they're kind of pinkish. It seems weird to me that people would keep them as pets and pay hundreds of dollars for them, but I heard that they are available in America. There's a whole flock of them that roosts just over my fence, and at sunset every day they make the worst racket. But I admit, they are kind of cute :D

wolf_Q
03-09-2003, 02:25 AM

Remember, you are buying a tiel, not a parakeet, not a lovebird, not a rat, not a hamster. A COCKATIEL.

So? That doesn't mean they are a better pet then a parakeet, lovebird, rat, hamster or any other animal.

tiki was $900 and NO that is NOT rediculous. its a bird!
jewels was $1200

jordan was $500, but we got him 12 years ago when prices were a lot lower

WOW Jessica12345, you are one spoiled kid!!! :eek: ;)

Somewhere in this thread we lost track of whats
REALLY important...and that's certainly not what the pet cost.

Smokey was $50
Reggie was free
Nebo was $300

Does that make any one of them a better dog then the other? No. BUT, in the same sense, if you pay more, you are most likely getting a dog that is healthier/less problems. Not always the case though.

I agree that you'd most likely get a more healthy/tame bird for a higher price, and that *should* be important.

If you were to sell teil I think you wouldent get much buisness. I would personally never but a teil or any pet for 200$ that is rediculas(sp?) .. I got my dog for $150.00 and she is pure bred.

I'm sure she would get business. Just not from people like you.

P.S. I don't care if birds are more expensive/live longer, I'll take dogs any day! :D :p

zanzanfergie
03-09-2003, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by wolf_Q

So? That doesn't mean they are a better pet then a parakeet, lovebird, rat, hamster or any other animal.

I'm pretty sure we're just saying that a cockatiel is not more important, or better than a parakeet, lovebird, rat, hamster etc, but they are more of a commitment, seeing as their lifespan can be up to thirty years.
And chances are if a person is selling a bird for a very low, not discount but absolute bargain price (ie $30 for a cockatiel) then they're probably less concerned with the health and happiness of the birds they sell than the amount. Kind of the equivalent of a puppy mill.
I don't mean to speak for Popcornbird and Jessica, but in their defence I don't think they were talking about price in terms defining an animal's worth...more about looking very carefully at 'bargains' where animals are concerned.
You can't be too careful when you don't want to keep profit breeders in business. I think they were just pointing out that it's a characteristic of these kind of breeders to sell for a very low price. :)

I'm sure she would get business. Just not from people like you.

P.S. I don't care if birds are more expensive/live longer, I'll take dogs any day!

I love dogs too! I volunteer at my local dog shelter, cleaning out their pens, not because I like cleaning up poop :p, but because I love to see the dogs and pet them and hope I'm making a difference. The only reason I don't have a dog is because I'm not allowed one. But birds are great too, and they're real little personalities and they can be just as great companions as dogs!

zanzanfergie
03-09-2003, 03:55 AM

Zan, you are SO lucky you have parrots instead of sparrows in your yard! :eek: LUCKY!!!!! I've heard of gallahs but I've never seen them, nor have a clue of what they look like. Do wild tiels, keets, and cockatoos also fly around in your area? I know they are native to Australia. Are the wild ones only in the forest or in cities like we have sparrows, doves, and pigeons flying around here in North America?

These are what galahs look like:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid54/p06c00b9fc5632f8102c157ade0bc16fc/fc885a13.jpg http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid54/pede0013b52470848249f9c5ebb850450/fc885a12.jpg
They're really noisy little critters, and since our house backs onto a school oval lined with eucalypts they roost there and chatter to each other at sunset and dawn.
But no, I've never seen wild cockatiels or budgies. We do get rainbow lorikeets in a lot, though, and they're sweet. If you have a bird bath in your backyard you can teach them to be quite tame, I've heard, but I've never tried it. And we get cockatoos flying over too! Boy can they make a racket! Have you ever heard one? They have this throaty, deep call. It sounds kinda cool when they're flying around and in the bush, but I don't know if I could cope with one for a pet!
But asides from that we just get basically what you get - sparrows, pigeons etc. We get them especially in our backyard since I have guinea pigs who spread a lot of seeds over the lawn, and they have like a communal feed there every day :D
And no, I don't live in the outback...I live in a suburb about thirty minutes from the city. ;) It's pretty cool the birds we get around here. Although we don't get any like the wedge tailed eagle or anything...no way would they be hanging in the 'burbs :D

Jessica12345
03-09-2003, 06:41 AM
omg there is always galah (rose breasted cockatoo) in pet shops around here and they are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooo gorgeous. but for some reason i seem to like the medium sized birdys like tiki or the teils or the conures the best:D

OK well lets get back to the point of this thread. Good luck on finding a bird just for you and becareful who you buy and who from :D :) ;)

primabella
03-09-2003, 09:01 AM
lol jess..yes..lets ;)

zanzan - you work at a shelter? i really wanna help out! how old are you? and you are SO lucky you get those gorgeous birds in your yard. i get stupid pidgeons that fly in and leave feathers in my yard :rolleyes:

Jessica12345
03-09-2003, 09:03 AM
lol :D

i cant beleive you get cockatoos and stuff in your yard still. The galas are ALL over the pet shops, but they would be so gorgeous in the wild!:eek: :eek:

wolfsoul
03-09-2003, 01:15 PM

Actually, there are birds that sell for over $10,000 as well.
10000?! :eek: i wouldnt buy anything for 10, 000 dollars...

tikeyas_mom
03-09-2003, 02:07 PM
zanzan - you work at a shelter? i really wanna help out! how old are you? and you are SO lucky you get those gorgeous birds in your yard. i get stupid pidgeons that fly in and leave feathers in my yard posted by primabellas mom

I love pidgeons, they are so beautiful. I love the robins that fly into my yard and MY favoret wild bird in my area is the black crow. I love them they are soo beautiful. We only had 1 pideon here in my area befor it was a homeing pidgoen and kids killed it by throwing rocks at it :(.. SOO sad.. :(

Jessica12345
03-09-2003, 02:12 PM
:( ooo!:(

wolf_Q
03-09-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by zanzanfergie

And chances are if a person is selling a bird for a very low, not discount but absolute bargain price (ie $30 for a cockatiel) then they're probably less concerned with the health and happiness of the birds they sell than the amount. Kind of the equivalent of a puppy mill.
I don't mean to speak for Popcornbird and Jessica, but in their defence I don't think they were talking about price in terms defining an animal's worth...more about looking very carefully at 'bargains' where animals are concerned.
You can't be too careful when you don't want to keep profit breeders in business. I think they were just pointing out that it's a characteristic of these kind of breeders to sell for a very low price.

Yes, and I agree with that...and I know some people in here were saying that, but it seemed that others were just a bit confused...

Oh, and I really like birds too. I think they'd be awesome to have for a pet. I've never been allowed to have any other animal besides dogs (and a few fish many years ago) though. I'm definitely a dog person though! :)

tikeyas_mom
03-09-2003, 03:46 PM
Well I am gunna get my next cockateil from the breeder for $30.00 . I can afford that I cannot afford like $160.00 :eek:.. Who can? Geeze I am 16 years old. I went in for an interview yesterday for a job. I'll be lucky if I get that let alone be able to pay for a bird that coast like 100+$. That is redicuals. Totaly pets Birds coast $100 + and they are totally terrified of pppl and they arnt tame . So I dont get what you are saying that " birds that coast more are more freindly and tame" ??? Ya right. The bird @ the breeder I know have like 50 cockatiels and they are Cheep, and they are happy. :rolleyes: .. Not all breeders that sell animals for cheep are evil :rolleyes:

primabella
03-09-2003, 03:50 PM
posted by primabellas mom

I love pidgeons, they are so beautiful. I love the robins that fly into my yard and MY favoret wild bird in my area is the black crow. I love them they are soo beautiful. We only had 1 pideon here in my area befor it was a homeing pidgoen and kids killed it by throwing rocks at it :(.. SOO sad.. :(

the pigeons we get are gray and i see them everyday. they're not very nice to look at. when i see a robin, then i get all like :D hehe

Jessica12345
03-09-2003, 03:52 PM
i was just saying be careful and its really not at all rediculous to get a bird above $100;)

zanzanfergie
03-09-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by primabella

zanzan - you work at a shelter? i really wanna help out! how old are you? and you are SO lucky you get those gorgeous birds in your yard. i get stupid pidgeons that fly in and leave feathers in my yard :rolleyes:

lol :D I know, although i love pigeon's funny little bobble walk.
I think they're funny birds :D And they're pretty gentle. Once we went to Times Square in London...gawd, there are hundreds there, it's not even funny...and they land on you and everything! But the ground's pretty disgusting :rolleyes: ugh
Yes, I work at my local RSPCA (I think you call it SPCA?). Hopefully next year I'll be able to help out in the clinic, but for now I'm happy working with the dogs. It's pretty sad (the fact that so many dogs will never find a new home), but I like doing it, and I like being with the dogs. And I'm fifteen...I called up to volunteer when I was twelve and they were like "um...call back when you're fifteen sweetie" :)

zanzanfergie
03-09-2003, 04:10 PM

Yes, and I agree with that...and I know some people in here were saying that, but it seemed that others were just a bit confused...

Oh, and I really like birds too. I think they'd be awesome to have for a pet. I've never been allowed to have any other animal besides dogs (and a few fish many years ago) though. I'm definitely a dog person though! :)

Yeah, this topic was getting pretty confusing. By the by, I think Nebo is just gorgeous, and my all time favourite thread of him is the "What is cool?" one...lol, "Letting Reggie wear your doggles?" it still makes me laugh :D
You're very lucky to be allowed dogs! I've been begging for years, and reached a lot of 'compromises' with my parents (guinea pigs, mice, rabbits, birds, fish, ferrets etc) but I'm going to have to wait till I move out in about five years or so before I can finally get my first baby pooch! And if you were wondering, no, I'm not getting a $500 pure bred...I'm going to adopt a shelter mutt :D ...the one that needs a home most.

Why live with birdies? There's danger you know,
Can't adopt just one, the craving will grow.
There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger,
While living with lots, you'll grow poorer (and stranger?)

Is it worth it you wonder? Are you caught in a trap?
Then your bird pals fly over, and into your lap.
Their sqwarks say your special, and you know that you will,
Keep all your birdies, in spite of the bill.
:D

zanzanfergie
03-09-2003, 04:17 PM
Zan, we call that a rose breated cockatoo here! OMG! I can't believe you have those in your backyard! You're so lucky! I'm sure you can tame them (even the wild ones) because they are very intelligent and one Australian on a cockatiel board I'm on said she tamed all the cockatoos that come in her backyard and they're very friendly, even come in her house sometimes! :eek: Makes me want to take the next flight to Australia! We only know those birds here as pets, so I can't even imagine them wild! When we went to get Popcorn and Muffin, there was a rose breated cockatoo there. It was BEAUTIFUL! I went up to see it, and it started bobbing its head and all of a sudden told me "HELLO! My name is Ruby!" OMG! He really startled me because I was NOT expecting that. I started begging for him, and my parents said well get him..............until they saw the price! $1,500!!! Is it illegal in Australia to adopt a wild bird as a pet, because all the parrots there are pet birds! LOL

Yes I thought you called them something different, but I couldn't remember what :D
Well, I'll have to get to work taming all the galah's in my backyard...that can be my next project after I get my new baby tiel! And LOL Ruby sounds gorgeous!!
I've only seen on galah here actually on sale as a pet, but I didn't see what the price was.

zanzanfergie
03-09-2003, 04:20 PM
oh and also, I forgot to say Popcornbird I LOVE your new sig (especially the pic of Popcorn, I have to say). Are both Muffin and Popcorn clipped? We clipped Lachie but he can still fly a little, so we don't take him outside at all...but anyway, those shots are just beautiful!

Jessica12345
03-09-2003, 04:22 PM
i know! how can you keep them outside?? i know there wings are clipped but i guess im kind of a worry wort when it comes to bringing tiki outside:o lol:p

tikeyas_mom
03-09-2003, 04:47 PM
So What color cockatiel should I get? Grey? I think I am gunna get a grey one :D

zanzanfergie
03-09-2003, 04:49 PM
Thanks! I tried to get a pic of Muffin as good as Popcorn's, but she kept moving! She wanted to go back inside. She HATES the outside world! LOL

I would NEVER take any other bird outside even if they were clipped, but Popcorn and Muffin are different. It seems that they never learned to fly. :confused: They are clipped, but even when their wings are fully grown, they still don't fly. They have never even tried to fly once in the 3 1/2 years we have them! :eek: They glide down from high places, but they are too scared to fly up. I only take them in the backyard to take pics, but I stand RIGHT next to them, and when they are out on my hand, I wrap my fingers around their feet. I'm VERY careful, but I wouldn't recommend it. My birds are just different.

lol :D "I'm different!"..."No honey...you're special."
And that is weird. We can't get Lachie to STOP flying :D we've clipped his wings just how the vet said and he continues to fly wherever he pleases :rolleyes: . It doesn't matter that much, anyway, and it's probably good for him to stretch his wings. My dad doesn't think it's so funny though, because Lachie's favourite landing place is on his head! lol it's pretty funny, dad's got this thick black hair and Lachie settles himself in it like it's a nest, before I rescue dad :D But he's still perfectly tame, and if I whistle to him then he will come and land right back on me, so I don't think it's really a big issue.
Maybe Muffin and Popcorn bird never needed to learn to fly? I don't know, maybe it's something to do with the age they were sold at, or maybe you're just such a good parent that they never felt the need to fly away from you ;)
BTW i might have said this before but I'll say it again...Muffin just looks about the cuddliest bird I've ever seen! (just as a whisper, I'm thinking about getting a pearl cockatiel, because she's so gorgeous)

Jessica12345
03-09-2003, 05:11 PM
zan: i looovee lachie! do you have any new pics??? thx:D

zanzanfergie
03-09-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Jessica12345
zan: i looovee lachie! do you have any new pics??? thx:D

no sorry jess, my digital camera's not working at the moment :rolleyes: I've got my brother onto it, but he hasn't fixed it yet.
Anyways, since pettalking birdies are so cute, i reckon it would be really cool if someone could put all of the birds into one photo so it looked like they were really together...i'd volunteer, but I don't have photoshop or whatever it is a person needs to do that kind of stuff. Don't you think it would be neat? The cutest photo ever!

zanzanfergie
03-09-2003, 06:07 PM

She is the cuddliest bird! LOL! They were very young when we got them, so I guess they never learned to fly. They were young when we got them, and I guess they got used to walking and not flying. They can fly down, just not up. I dunno, maybe they can but just don't want to?? Oh well, their choice. I wouldn't mind them flying in the house, but they choose not to!

Ps. I noticed pied tiels LOVE to fly! LOL

There's this lady that lives a few houses up from me that has a pet Rainbow Lorikeet and she walks down the street in the evening with the little guy on her shoulder! :eek:
I don't know why he doesn't fly away. Maybe he's a wild bird she just tamed, or maybe she's permanently clipped his wings or something. Anyway he's a gorgeous little bird! And she takes him for his daily walk every evening and it's really sweet.
And about Muffin - if you pet her a lot does she close her eyes? Because that's the kind of cuddly bird she looks like! I used to rub Charlie's cheek patches and she'd go completely into this trance sleep thing...she looked like bliss itself. Does Muffin like to be petted a lot? Because she looks like that kind of bird.

Tikeya's Mom: When are you getting your new tiel? As for colours I'm debating between silver, pearl, and lutino (I guess it also depends on availability). Post pics when you get your new baby!

wolfsoul
03-09-2003, 09:47 PM
So What color cockatiel should I get? Grey? I think I am gunna get a grey one :D
maybe just pic the one with the best personality? ;) looks are important but maybe pick the bird that picks u? :p

tikeyas_mom
03-10-2003, 12:06 AM
I am for surely gunna get a grey one that likes me.. Oh to hell with it I dont really care about the color any more as long as the bird is nice like popcornsbirds birds. :).. Cheeko always bites. He will sit on my finger and thats it. Did I mention it is hell to get them out of their cage :rolleyes: ..

wolf_Q
03-10-2003, 12:35 AM
I am for surely gunna get a grey one that likes me.. Oh to hell with it I dont really care about the color any more as long as the bird is nice like popcornsbirds birds. :).. Cheeko always bites. He will sit on my finger and thats it. Did I mention it is hell to get them out of their cage :rolleyes: ..

Why do you want to get another bird if the one you already have isn't even tame? I dont' think PCB's birds just "came" nice...I'm sure she really worked with them to get them to love and trust her, and be the sweet birds they are. You've got to be willing to work with the bird also, to get them to like you. Maybe you should work with Cheeko first.

Jessica12345
03-10-2003, 06:44 AM
I think you should work with the one you already have for a while before getting another. although you said you getting a job first? how soon? because until then you should really be reasearching on birds and working with cheeko.;)

Tiki didnt exactly like me at first either, but Like i said i went to a speical bird place and they made me get to know her for a month before taking her home, so it wasnt that hard to tame her. But i still had to work with her. :)

tikeyas_mom
03-10-2003, 10:09 AM
Well I dont know what to do to make my bird trust me, he just bites really hard and dwars blood. And he hisses. I think He is impossible to tame, or @ least is seams that way. How do I tame him? He'll sit on my finger but he wont let me touch him.

Brie
03-10-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by wolfsoul

10000?! :eek: i wouldnt buy anything for 10, 000 dollars...

So I guess you'll never own a car or a house!:D ;)

Ummmm, I hate to play devils advocate here, but, T's mom, WHY ARE YOU GETTING ANOTHER PET??? your dog just killed your rabbit and in another thread you talked about your dog having killed a bird. Then you were complaining about the cost of spaying the bunny, but, you're willing to PAY for another animal!!!
You keep saying that your a bad pet owner and I'm starting to wonder if that's true. A good pet owner would make sure all of their pets are taken care of before they bring any more pets into their home. And if your dog has a high prey drive, then that should be taken care of before you bring anymore pets home.

just my .02$

shais_mom
03-10-2003, 12:14 PM
Just remember that Popcornbird and others are trying to help you. She is very passionate when it comes to birds, yours and others.
Well, said Brie!!! I have wondered the same thing myself, but was leery of saying anything here b/c I don't know the first thing about birds. But I do care.

tikeyas_mom
03-10-2003, 12:34 PM
I did try the sheet thing and it didnt work:(. I have tryed sittingon the floor with him @ eye level and that duidnt work . I am tryed whistling to him and even playing soft music to get him relexed NOTHING WORKS :(.

posted by Brie:
Ummmm, I hate to play devils advocate here, but, T's mom, WHY ARE YOU GETTING ANOTHER PET??? your dog just killed your rabbit and in another thread you talked about your dog having killed a bird. Then you were complaining about the cost of spaying the bunny, but, you're willing to PAY for another animal!!!

I am getting another bird because I just figured out how cool they are. Cheeko does buite and stuff but he sings back and forth to Spanky it is soo cute. I Love animals so much and getting another bird would just add more love to the family. :) ..I desided I am gunna tame Cheeko and Spany befor I get another bird though because it would be to hard to tame all 4 @ once. :eek: :). My dog has killed wild birds not inside birds. I wasnt complaining about the coast of spaying a bunny, I was gunna spay her right when I saved up. :).. :confused: .. I am willing to pay to buy another bird yes. The thing that didnt cross my mind is getting a vet check befor hand. I dont know why I never thought about that. Good thing I am waiting till I get a job then I'll have money to take my birds all to the vet .

Brie
03-10-2003, 12:46 PM
I am getting another bird because I just figured out how cool they are.

That's not a very good reason for wanting another bird.

tikeyas_mom
03-10-2003, 01:09 PM
I just found this really cool site :D.. goto it..http://www.cockatiel.com/index.shtml

I printed off so much stuff lol, I think I used all the school printer paper :D.. I will try the sheet thing again.. :)

Jessica12345
03-10-2003, 05:51 PM
thanks!they are both so cute!:D

Jessica12345
03-10-2003, 05:56 PM
opps.... wrong thread:o lol:p ;)

Jessica12345
03-10-2003, 06:03 PM
Its not going to work in one day. It needs time and patience. Put the bird in your lap under the sheet, and talk to it for 1/2 an hour every day and don't move. Try to be as calm as possible, and talk to it in an assuring and loving voice. Do this everyday for a month, and then come and tell me if it worked or not. Ok? I've tamed at least 10 birds besides my own and it worked for ALL of them within a week, but I figure it will take loger for your bird since he lost confidence after the dog bite and he's not a young baby either. With time and patience, it should work. As I said, do NOT lose patience. Its only been a few days. Its not supposed to work that fast. The bird needs time.

at least 10 birds?! wow!:eek: lol:D :p PCB - The bird tamer...

hehe:p

Jessica12345
03-10-2003, 06:14 PM
:eek: wow!:eek:
lol you should! im sure you'd get a lot of buisness if you held your birds up to the custumors face and showed them off. lol:D They would completely cave!:p

Jessica12345
03-10-2003, 06:39 PM
;) hehe

CathyBogart
03-11-2003, 06:44 PM
Who knows...some people make a living as avian behavior consultants, I'll bet you could too!