PDA

View Full Version : Tex and his thyroid- good news!

Cataholic
03-07-2003, 04:24 PM
I posted two months ago re Tex and his hyperthyroidism...and maybe the radioactive iodine therapy. Many of you responded, as I knew you would, with words of encouragement, giving tails of feline and human progress. I wanted to update you on Tex's condition.

We have adjusted his meds a little, as the original amount was too much, and had a recheck on 3/4/03. I am pleased to report the following: his thyroid level is now WNL!!!!! (within normal limits). His BUN, which had been slightly elevated has returned to a 'better' number, which can be just a normal reaction to another hormonal change, and his whiteys (white blood cells) seem to be pretty good. (they are slightly high, but, we are watching it to see if it will regulate, also, before doing anything). One huge bonus is Tex now weighs 9 pounds! He has gained 12 oz in just about two months. I am praying he will reach 9.5 or 10 pounds, which would be really his ideal weight.

With all the 'numbers' aside, truly the most remarkable change is his personality. He is so much more involved with the herd and me. Always a loving cat, he was really pretty darn grumpy alot. I know that was because he didn't feel well. He maintained his distance from them a little bit...hissing, and moving away if someone got up in his space. His vomiting has decreased alot, and while that was not supposed to be related to his hyperthryoidism, it seems connected somehow. Tex is a chronic vomiter...and the thyroid condition was acute. So, I am really pretty excited and awed by his improvement. I wanted to share the good news with you all!!!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
03-07-2003, 04:50 PM
That's wonderful news for Tex the tuxxie! :) I'm so happy he's not only doing better physically, but emotionally too (joining in more, etc.). I know how he felt 'cause I've recently been diagnosed with thyroid problems myself, and now with the medication I feel so much better. Not as grumpy or quick to fly off the handle - just like Tex. ;) :)

Give the big guy a big hug and lots of skritchies from me. It's great to hear good news! :)

NoahsMommy
03-07-2003, 05:49 PM
That is wonderful news!!! I'm so glad he's getting better and has made such an improvement!!! Go Tex! :)

Steffi N
03-07-2003, 05:56 PM
This is wonderful news. I hope Tex continues to improve and I know he's getting plenty of cuddles.

batgirl1980
03-07-2003, 06:40 PM
Whoo hooo. chin rubbies and head bumpies for Tex. :) I'm glad to hear he's doing well! my babies send their kitty huggies.

slick
03-07-2003, 06:48 PM
It's sooo nice to hear some good news!!! Way to go Tex. You and your mewmie are truly remarkable!!:D

Paws up for Tex!!

jenluckenbach
03-07-2003, 07:06 PM
Yeah Tex!! Great news!!

catland
03-07-2003, 07:12 PM
Way to go Tex. Keep up the good work and keep gaining weight.

wolflady
03-07-2003, 08:01 PM
Yay!! :D :D It's so nice to hear good news on the boards! :) Go Tex! I am glad that he has gained some more weight and is in better spirits! :)
Lots of scritchies to Tex and **hugs** for you! :)

rosethecopycat
03-07-2003, 10:16 PM
Go, Tex, Go!

So happy for you Cataholic. :D

Miss Meow
03-07-2003, 11:34 PM
Tex, may your WBNs and BUNs stay normal :) You are doing such a good job for your mummycat and it sounds like you're a happier boy now that you're on the right medication. Keep eating :)

krazyaboutkatz
03-08-2003, 12:52 AM
Way to go Tex! :D I'm so glad to hear that your meds are working and that you're feeling much better too. Johanna you must be so relieved and happy too. :)

Barbara
03-08-2003, 06:19 AM
Good to hear -it is just as with humans -the "character" depends a lot on the hormone and general health situation:)

Cataholic
03-08-2003, 06:26 AM
Tex and I send you all our best for such kind words and caring. He slept with me on the bed all night, and was ready for pets this am...a sign that he is back to his Tex Tux self!! Thanks so much!

smokey the elder
03-08-2003, 08:03 AM
I'm so glad Tex feels better! I've had thyroid problems my whole life and they do affect your moods. It's truly remarkable how the change of a few specks of a material in your body can make such a huge difference! (one of the reasons I became a chemist.)

ChrisH
03-08-2003, 08:08 AM
Wonderful news!!:) :) :)

AdoreMyDogs
03-08-2003, 08:22 AM
Wonderful news! I am so glad that he's feeling better.

kimlovescats
03-08-2003, 07:40 PM
Oh that is such WONDERFUL news!!! Way to go, Tex .... you keep on improving, sweet boy ... we all love you sooooo much!!!!

:D

03-09-2003, 08:33 AM
Good on you Tex !! I knew you could do it !!

tuxluvr
03-09-2003, 08:55 AM
Tex, one of my favorite tuxy gents! So glad to hear of this improvement...sounds like you and meowmie have been through a lot lately. Ritzy's been through an ordeal in the "pee department" lately and finally getting around to a solution can be so trying! (see other threads)

Headbumpies and kissies!

emily_the_spoiled
03-10-2003, 10:42 AM
Congratulations to Tex :D :D

I am so happy that he is doing well and is feeling better. He must have known how worried you were about him and he is just thanking you with all the extra loving...

HayleyRosie
03-10-2003, 11:25 AM
Great news!

marysmerrycats
03-10-2003, 06:59 PM
thats wonderful news about Tex!:D