PDA

View Full Version : I Have a confession to make

lovemyshiba
03-06-2003, 10:22 PM
I am so ashamed. I used to really dislike poodles. Now, after being on this site, and seeing and hearing about all of these beautiful poodles, I am transformed.
I always disliked them in the shows, they looked like so much work:rolleyes: Plus, they're in the same group as the Shibas, and never win at the dog shows--I'm biased I guess. And, we have a neighbor who has one, and it's not very friendly.

Anyway, I no longer dislike them, in fact, they're one of my favorites now!!!!!

Thanks for turning me around poodle mommies!!!!!

captain
03-06-2003, 10:29 PM
I never used to like poodles much (although, I love all dogs, some more than others :rolleyes: )

My Aunt then got 3 Standard Poodles, and they are BeAuTiFuL. Turned my head around too!!

micki76
03-06-2003, 10:29 PM
Oh, I used to feel the same way!:o I used to groom and I hated doing the poodles!! They can be so much work, and I'm a perfectionist and had such a hard time with their heads!:mad: Then I met my husband and his sister had an apricot poodle (Aly's Reece reminds me of him so) Toto (RB now) and he turned me around, too.
There are still breeds that I don't particularly like that are probably just bias' from my grooming days. :rolleyes:

aly
03-07-2003, 01:20 AM
DeeR Nice Ladies-

Tanks fer changin yer minds and likin' Poodlez! Dat putz a big smile on my face!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid35/p051dad23879bbdad52d1ac496c9285bb/fd28580d.jpg

Sorry fer da Poodlez dat give us a bad name. We R not all like dat! See how gentlez I am wit my mommie's foster kidz?

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid21/p5453922b47ed5097537968fa0dae0b6b/fdb69e66.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid21/pa6bd1c1131c8c5c9e2efc48abb4cc3e2/fdb69e0f.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid21/p48ac0a46ff71db2902b97dca7b1ae61e/fdaf6195.jpg

Ok - Aly here! I had to stop Reece from typing. He gets a little too carried away with posting his own pics :rolleyes: :D Glad to hear that the PT Poodles have changed some minds!!! They really are a great breed. Reece is so kind and gentle and loving and well behaved. I wish you all could meet him in person :)

- Aly and Reecie

wolf_Q
03-07-2003, 01:34 AM
I love poodles, though I'd never get another! Of course, my poodle is not really the best ambassador to the breed...he's demanding, whiney and he'll bite your hand off. Ok so we love him anyway. :D :D

I don't think I'd enjoy grooming them either! I've watched it done many times, it looks hard! I'd go for the Reece look...Teddy Bear face and no poodle feet all the way! hehe Reece you are SO cute!

Poodles really are a great breed though. Most are very sweet, and very intelligent dogs. I love seeing pics of all the poodles on Pet Talk. :)

Cookiebaker
03-07-2003, 05:36 AM
It's kinda funny because when I was a kid...the poodle was my favorite breed!!! My Grandma even got me a stuffed toy poodle! I've always love their curly hair! ;)

Tanya&Fritz
03-07-2003, 05:42 AM
Yay! Fritz says he's so happy! Whenever I tell someone I have a poodle they're like "yuck". Fritz is the best dog ever! Here he is as a puppy:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid54/pc5269a038d88acbd19be4276c28a34fc/fc8a914f.jpg

Here he is now:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid54/p671434f4a8b6c0161ffb21bca2dd6fde/fc8a914e.jpg

Pam
03-07-2003, 05:57 AM
:o :o :o Gee everbuddie we's so happy you likes poodles now. We are usually fun doggies and we comes in three sizes so there is one of us for everbuddie's tastes. Lotsa people thinks we's sissys but we aren't - no siree! Here we are playin' and havin' fun just like any other doggie (and Bella has been known to dig some really awesome holes.) :eek: Bella and Ripley :)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid51/p392d912ea531db4f48fce8e3d8631eee/fca4b299.jpg

Pam here - I always thought poodles were sissy dogs (sorry Bella and Ripley) but I used to work with a girl years ago who had a poodle and learned about the breed from her which ultimately led me to get my first poodle, an apricot girl who looked very much like Reece. A year later we got her a "brother" and after they went to the Rainbow Bridge (in their teens) we got two more (a mini and a standard). When they joined the others at the RB we brought Bella into our home and now of course there's Ripley. I guess with me poodles are like an addiction, but not a bad one! :D Thank you for your nice notes. :)

Captain I would LOVE to see pictures of your aunt's standards!!!

AdoreMyDogs
03-07-2003, 06:21 AM
I, also, never liked poodles much until I came here to PT and learned more about them. I had no idea they were so intelligent and I had no idea they were so trainable. They are right up there with the GSD and border collie in intelligence. I had no idea before I came here.

Now, not only do I absolutely adore them, but I would love one some day. Aly's Reece was the first poodle to enter my heart. The way Aly describes him, he seems SO similar to my angel, Graham. He is a beautiful old soul just like my Graham. He is the first poodle to make me want a poodle. Next came Bella. She is one of the most beautiful dogs I have ever seen, and she is quite the dear girl. I absolutely love gorgeous Bella and I would LOVE to have a standard if I ever have one. I love how Pam describes her. Her personality and her playfulness. I love that Bella.

I have a husband who does not see the beauty in poodles. He had a really bad experience with a poodle when he was young and he is not enlightened to them. My goal is to open his mind to the beauty, magesty, and intelligence of the poodle one day. Even if we never own one, I want him to at least see how incredible they can be if they are bred/trained/raised well.

Tanya&Fritz
03-07-2003, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by AdoreMyDogs
I have a husband who does not see the beauty in poodles. He had a really bad experience with a poodle when he was young and he is not enlightened to them. My goal is to open his mind to the beauty, magesty, and intelligence of the poodle one day. Even if we never own one, I want him to at least see how incredible they can be if they are bred/trained/raised well.

Hint :eek:

My husband also never liked poodles. I just arrived home with Fritz and my husband fell in love with him within 5 minutes :D

ChrisH
03-07-2003, 07:41 AM
I just love every single poodle on Pet Talk, they are all so adorable!:) Just look at Reecie with those kittens, how sweet can you get!:)
The only thing that has ever put me off poodles, indeed disliked about them, isn`t really anything to do with the dog, it is how some of their humans insist they must look when they are groomed/cut, with the pompom tail and shaved areas and stuff.

primabella
03-07-2003, 08:11 AM
i felt the same way :o PT has helped me see the breed itself beyond the looks. (look at me, i'm getting so philosophical :p) i always saw them as the regulary winners of dog shows and it got me nervous. but now i see that they are beautiful dogs. thanks PT ;) :p

*LabLoverKEB*
03-07-2003, 09:56 AM
I LOVE POODLES!!! I especially love all the Poodles on Pet Talk!:) ;)

lovemyshiba
03-07-2003, 10:05 AM
How cute are those pictures of Reece and the kittens???:D
I love them!!!!!

ParNone
03-07-2003, 03:12 PM
Before I got Oz, I was actually considering a standard poodle.
I finally decided against one, due to the grooming requirements,
but personality wise I always thought they'd make a great dog.
They're the victim of gross misrepresentation based on that silly
hairdo for the show dogs.

It's funny how our attitudes about breeds can change. I never
though of myself as having a Collie, because I didn't think the
long nose was attractive. But I really wanted a gentle,
friendly, trainable breed, so I decided that except for grooming
requirements, appearance wasn't going to be considered in
my choice. Now that I have a Collie, I find that the thing I love
best about him is his nose. :)

Par...

sammi
03-07-2003, 03:59 PM
QUOTE: Aly Reece is so kind and gentle and loving and well behaved. I wish you all could meet him in person

- Aly and Reecie

HA HA!!!!!! Eat your heart out! I have already met the sweet Reece and yes he is a doll - his sister Lolly is sweet too! I even got to babysit them while their mother was running around in a zoo!:D She was also running around with these people named Karen & Paul..........................

aly
03-08-2003, 12:10 AM
AWWWW :D Reece says thanks to Aunt Leslie for such kind words. Graham's personality also reminds me of Reece when you describe Graham :) I bet they'd have fun together.

And thanks Sammi for the nice words. I'm glad my kids were good for you when mom was off horsin around at the sanctuary :D Can't wait til the next PT meeting :)

Twisterdog
03-08-2003, 11:02 PM
I like poodles a lot, although I'll probably never own one. I like slick coated dogs, personally.

I groom a LOT of poodles, though. They are my favorite dog to groom, I always take all the poodles, and let everyone else groom everything else. ;)

Poodles are super smart dogs. Like any breed, there are good and bad dogs, but for the most part, I think poodles are good little dogs.

oodlesofpoodles
03-09-2003, 06:46 AM
As we know I luv poodles, but before getting my poodle, I was a rottie person, have owned 7 and a german shepherd all have gone to the Rainbow Bridge. After my Caleb passed (rotti), he was my last, Reba my german Shepherd(now since passed) was so depressed so I decided to get a small dog little grooming. :rolleyes: I got a Standard poodle puppy:eek: :eek:

Now somewhere I think I had a brain freeze. Low grooming right. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I love my standards they are so smart, My Riley has already protected me when someone tried to break in my car he was 14mths old. A lot of people dont know but st. poodles were used as guardian dogs in the castles in med-evil times and used in the wars- in the 1500's the battle of the roundheads with Prince Rupert and charles the 1st also were used in WW1 and WW2.
They are awesome hunters, service dog, therapy, agility and great companions

If you keep them in a short puppy clip the grooming isn't as bad as everyone thinks.

sasvermont
03-09-2003, 07:06 AM
I just don't know what it was about poodles, but I learned to NOT like them as a child. Looking back on it, I think it was how they were handled and treated like children, that made me resent the little critters. THEN, YES, THEN I was introduced to a guy who owned two standard poodles. They were SO SO SO smart and wonderful to be around. Since then I have been exposed to smaller poodles that were well behaved and I learned to love them too. In general, I think I didn't like the owners of the little snotty poodles (their Mom's made them that way).....and I think this legend is much like the Pit Bull legend etc. etc. It is the owner!

Of course, now that I am older, I love all doggies, some more than others, but I change my mind constantly, and add "one of these to my list of wonderful doggies" and then to my "favorite" list. So, there ain't no dog out there that I don't love. Same goes for cats. BUT I DO HAVE MY FAVORITES.....and here is one of mine!
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid54/p5321126af72f2f19e5b23e4148eea59d/fc883a55.jpg Opppsss... this belongs on the Cat Thread! Hehehehehehehe.

Rachel
03-09-2003, 07:26 AM
A lot of people dont know but st. poodles were used as guardian dogs in the castles in med-evil times and used in the wars- in the 1500's the battle of the roundheads with Prince Rupert and charles the 1st also were used in WW1 and WW2.
They are awesome hunters, service dog, therapy, agility and great companions

They were also used as sheep dogs. Even though Hannah is only one-half poodle she displays the *crouch and watch* position like a border collie would. I never understood what that was all about until I read about the sheep dog history.

There was a time when I would not have even considered getting a poodle. Now this breed is definitely on my *short list*. Moral of that story is to keep an open mind.

Rachel
03-09-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by sasvermont
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid54/p5321126af72f2f19e5b23e4148eea59d/fc883a55.jpg Opppsss... this belongs on the Cat Thread! Hehehehehehehe.

No, SAS, anyone can tell from looking at this picture that Miley is truly the Goddess of All here at PetTalk.

Cataholic
03-09-2003, 08:44 PM
I have wanted a st. poodle, I like thier size and intelligence. I never really thought, "I hate xyz breed of dog"...I think I pretty much love them all. But, speaking of learning...I have always had a thing for BIG dogs...no toys for me- I have kitties for that. THEN, I met Cocoa, a little chihuaha, and OH BOY, did I fall for her. I get to babysit her when her family goes away, and she is just adorable. I carry her everywhere, and she loves it. She loves car rides, will walk with me (until she gets tired and looks at me to carry her). I would certainly consider a couple of chewies, after knowing her. I always threaten her family that I am going to steal her from them!!! People look at me strange when I tell them about this special little girl.

luckies4me
03-09-2003, 08:58 PM
Sorry I haven't posted any PICS of Pee Wee yet but here is my miniature poodle:

Before a much needed clipping/bath.....but if I go into his horrible conditions I will just get angry.

Isn't he cute? Yes I look NOTHING like I do in real life in this pic, I hate it. :o

luckies4me
03-09-2003, 09:00 PM
PeeWee after I clipped the mats away from his eyes....I was not about to groom his top knot either lol, he's way too squirmy having only been groomed a few times. :rolleyes:

luckies4me
03-09-2003, 09:01 PM
Oops fogot the pic! :o

luckies4me
03-09-2003, 09:02 PM
In the tub:

:D

luckies4me
03-09-2003, 09:04 PM
He had so many fleas and mats I had to literally take almost all the fur of his ears and around his eyes! :mad:

captain
03-10-2003, 07:20 PM
Pam,

My aunt lives in South Africa, but I will try and get some pics of her Std's! :D

PeeWee in the bath - Toooooo gorgeous. :p

Jessica12345
03-10-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by oodlesofpoodles
As we know I luv poodles, but before getting my poodle, I was a rottie person

from rotties to poodles? thats a big transition! LOL!:D even though i love both.. hehe

I have to admit i didnt always like poodles. :o but now i do! I really do! lol they are to cute!:D

aly
03-10-2003, 09:30 PM
PeeWee is a doll! How long have you had him??

luckies4me
03-10-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by captain
Pam,

My aunt lives in South Africa, but I will try and get some pics of her Std's! :D

PeeWee in the bath - Toooooo gorgeous. :p

See how red his eyes are? I had to shave to the skin because he had scabs around his eyes. He was so full of mats. But he is cute isn't he?

ALY: We haven't had him for long, in fact he doesn't live with us permanently yet, only the weekends. We are having the cats and Dylan get used to him as well as him being trained because he likes to "mount" Dylan. So.....but cute eh? heh He's 7 years old and spent 5 of that tied on a short leash outside.

aly
03-10-2003, 10:18 PM
Good lord, we had a dog at my work who spent 6 years tied to a tree in someone's backyard :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Makes me SICK!