PDA

View Full Version : Ripley was almost a stray dog again!!!

Pam
03-06-2003, 08:16 PM
Tonight my hubby came in through the front door instead of the garage as he usually does. Ripley went to the door to greet him but kept right on going and bounded out the door!!:eek: :eek: He kept going without looking back!! We were calling him and, although he wasn't running real fast, he sure wasn't listening to us. My hubby chased him up the street with some doggie treats. Ripley was in his own little world - galloping on ahead and stopping to smell new smells and then galloping on again. I was in bedroom slippers but I ran and got the car and went to catch up with them. Fortunately Ripley stopped at a bush way up the street to relieve himself and I just grabbed him in mid-pee! Boy did he get our adrenalin going! All I could think the whole time is 'this is how he became a stray.' Needless to say we will watch the door very carefully in the future and no one will go in or out without someone having a restraining hand on this little guy. I shudder to think what could have happened. He is black and it was dark out and soon we wouldn't have even been able to see him. :eek: :eek:

delidog
03-06-2003, 08:29 PM
Oh Dear Pam and Ripley and Hubby,and Bella!!!!!!

You all must have had your hearts in your throat!!!!!!:eek: :eek:

I am soooo Glad that sweet little Ripley is home safe and sound!!!!!!!!
OHHHH!!!!AT Night,Little Black Poodle!!!!
You must have been terrified!!!!!

Well,we know that this won't happen again real soon!!!!:eek:

perhaps a baby gate might help?????
I got mine at petsmart,I always put up when I open the door but want the screen door open....helps me with mine...just a thought Dear Pam!!!!!!
I wouldn't want this to happen again.....are you now 10 years older????;) :)

{{{{{{{HUGS AND TREATS for Sweet Bella And Dear Ripley!!}}}}

tikeyas_mom
03-06-2003, 08:33 PM
oh my that was a close one. you should try obedience classes if you havent allready.. It might be helpfull.. in teaching your dog to come and to stay.. :) Just a suggestion.

Cheshirekatt
03-06-2003, 08:34 PM
How scary! Wilma snuck out once and I was beside myself! Luckily the garage door was open and I found her in there "grazing" out of the pantry. :D

aly
03-06-2003, 09:13 PM
Oh Pam, how scary!! That happened before to the guy who I am petsitting for now. His doggie was running to greet him so he bent down then she just bounded on by :eek: He caught her quickly though.

I am so glad you have your baby back. I bet that IS how he became a stray. Poor little guy. At least he has a good (and fast) mama now :)

*LabLoverKEB*
03-06-2003, 09:30 PM
How scary! Sadie's done that a few times, too!

Pam, I just wanted to let you know that I am IN LOVE with your too Poodles! I just think thay are beautiful, cute dogs! Pictures!:D

Logan
03-06-2003, 10:07 PM
I'm glad you caught him, no matter what he was doing when he was captured! :eek: I know how my heart has dropped every single time that Honey has escaped. So glad you found him!!!

lovemyshiba
03-06-2003, 10:25 PM
I can only imagine how scared you must have been!!!
Thank God everyone is home safe and sound!!
Sounds like Ripley was a bit of a "NAWTEE DAWG"
I'm sure that is how he became a stray, I'm glad to hear everything is fine now--whew!!!

joycenalex
03-06-2003, 10:32 PM
WOW!!!:eek: :eek: RILEY, STAY WHERE YOU GOT IT GOOD!
is your heart and hubbys' back to a normal beat yet?

captain
03-06-2003, 10:47 PM
Pam,

Lucky you got Ripley in time.

Although the site of you running down the road in your bedroom slippers would have been great, at least you got in the car instead :D :D :D

Sudilar
03-06-2003, 11:30 PM
You must have almost had a heart attack!!! I would have!!! So glad Ripley was re-captured!!!! Whew!!

wolf_Q
03-06-2003, 11:35 PM
Glad you got Ripley back!! That must have been so frightening! :eek:

Maybe it's a black poodle thing? Even in his old age, Smokey will always run off down the street. I don't know how many times I've chased that dog..... The only way I ever catch him is when he stops to pee.......lol...;)

Cookiebaker
03-07-2003, 05:40 AM
That must have been so scary!! :eek: I'm glad that you have your Ripley back safe!!!

Tanya&Fritz
03-07-2003, 05:45 AM
How scary! Thank God you were able to catch him. We have a baby gate up so they can't get near the front door :eek:

jenluckenbach
03-07-2003, 06:07 AM
Ripley, don't scare everyone like that! Don't you know we need you around here?!?

Pam
03-07-2003, 06:09 AM
This was the first time he ever did that so we live and learn! Bella ran out twice when she was a little puppy but she just did a couple of circles on the front lawn and came in pretty quickly. Ripley was on a mission headed down the street! It was funny, though, because he stayed right on the sidewalk. He never made an attempt to run through anyone's yard or cross the street :eek: but he did manage to go about 11-12 houses up the street!

Rachel
03-07-2003, 07:20 AM
Believe it or Not....Ripley can be a little NAWTEEDAWG. Hannah loved the tale of Ripley's Great Escape as it brought back some fond memories for her. Thankfully, Ripley was courteous enough not to take you through back yards and snow drifts in those slippers. :D Doesn't sound like he really wanted to go anywhere, although I know your heart was pounding out of your chest even after the little guy was safe in your arms.

anna_66
03-07-2003, 08:04 AM
It really scares the whits out of you:eek: I'm so glad he was caught before it was dark though, that would have made it impossible to see him!

ChrisH
03-07-2003, 08:05 AM
How scary! I am so glad you manged to catch Ripley and get him home safe.:)
Even with all the precautions one of my biggest fears is that Bob will get out of the garden and house. I know for sure he would be shouting `whoopee` in doggy language and heading for the hills!

Chris

primabella
03-07-2003, 08:07 AM
poor ripley and poor you guys! how scary that must have been! i'm glad you caught him though! :D

my mom's dog did that once. she took such a sprint and just didn't stop. my dad ran after her (i've never seen him run o fast :eek: ) thankfully, we also caught up to her. silly dogs, give us a heart attack! ;)

and sarah - we got the same paw print in our sig...:rolleyes: did you take it from me? :p:p

K9karen
03-07-2003, 08:49 AM
Whew! Now that the worse is over.....selective hearing (la, dee,da.... :p ) nuthin like catchin a boy in mid-pee! Gotcha! :eek: Seriously....how scary was THAT??? My heart skipped a beat just reading about Ripley's ordeal! I'm so glad all turned out OK...

AdoreMyDogs
03-07-2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
Ripley, don't scare everyone like that! Don't you know we need you around here?!?

My words exactlly! Don't do that again, Ripley. You are VERY loved, and you have the very best home ever!

Pam, I am SO glad that you could grab hold of him...even if it was mid-pee :) Thank goodness he decided to pee at that moment.