PDA

View Full Version : Crufts dog show began today

ChrisH
03-06-2003, 04:04 PM
It is said to be the biggest dog show in the world! I am not a big fan of dog shows, but I do love to see all the different breeds and the other events too like obdience and agility. This is what it consists of....

Breed Judging
Crufts will be a truly international dog show with dogs from many parts of the world competing for the prestigious title of 'Best In Show'.
Thursday 6th March - Gundog
Friday 7th March - Working & Pastoral
Saturday 8th March - Terrier & Hound
Sunday 9th March - Toy & Utility

Discover Dogs
Vistors will have the opportunity to see over 180 breeds of pedigree dog each day. Experts will be on hand to answer questions on choice, care and training.
Good Citizen Dog Scheme Ring
With the help of celebrities, the Kennel Club Good Citizen Dog Scheme Ring will host a variety of demonstrations to show dog owners that there is no great mystery to dog training.
Young Kennel Club
The Young Kennel Club (YKC) is open to Young people aged 8-25 years of age. YKC members and their dogs will participate in a number of displays and competitions in the YKC Ring each day.
Main Ring
A continuous programme will take place each day. Events will include Obedience Championships, Inter-Regional Obedience Competitions, Agility and Flyball events, Group Judging and Best In Show.

They had an interesting one today called Breeders Stakes where breeder have to show 4 or 5 dogs from thier kennels. the winners were Beagles, Rotties were second....and the other places have gone right out of my head! Todays group judging for a place in the final were Gundogs, a Flat coated Retriever was the winner to go through, a Welsh Springer Spaniel came second and a Weinmeriner(sp?) third. It is a pity but we have very little coverage of the show on our tv, half hour today, same tomorrow, hour Saturday and on Sunday, the final day, three hours, but it is better than nothing I guess.

Here are two links for anyone who would like to find our more and/or keep up with the judging.
(Check out the picture links on this one, especially the Pup Idol Gallery)
Birmingham events - Crufts 2003 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/birmingham/local_events/2003/02/crufts_event.shtml)
On this one you need to click Crufts icon on the top of the page. When you get there, the Picture Gallery link is worth a visit, it has pictures of a lot of past winners from years and years back to last year.
Kennel Club - Crufts (http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/index.asp?section=discoverdogs/ddframe.html)

Chris

lovemyshiba
03-06-2003, 10:07 PM
Sounds cool--I wonder if it will be televised here?
I think that was one of the dog shows that Mick the Kerry Blue Terrier won last year, but I'm not sure.

ChrisH
03-07-2003, 06:32 AM
lovemyshiba, a Standard Poodle won last year but a Kerry Blue called Torums Scarf Micheal won in 2000, would that be him?

lovemyshiba
03-07-2003, 09:43 AM
Yes, I believe that was his full name--he was the one who won the Westminster show this year.

KYS
03-07-2003, 09:47 PM
My friend who lives in Staffordshire,
is missing Crufts for her first time.
(her friends take her to Crufts every year for her birthday present)
This year she had to have surgery on her knee,
and the date happened to be during Crufts.
I already know she is laying in the hospital room
at this moment depressed and going through
doggie with-drawls. :(
I wonder if the animal planet will air Crufts over
in the US?

Thank you again for the link.

ChrisH
03-08-2003, 06:51 AM
KYS, what good friends they are to take your friend to Crufts each year! It is such a pity that she has to miss it this year. As I wrote before there isn`t much coverage on tv, but even if there was I guess it wouldn`t really be much comfort to your friend. Please send her my best wishes for a speedy recovery.
I don`t know if there is any coverage for USA tv. Maybe not because, although the show is big and prestigious, it is only just recently that dog travel between our countries has been made easier, before that I think the restrictions made it difficult for Americans to bring their dogs to show.

There were two group results yesterday. The Working Group was won by a Newfoundland, with a Rottie second and Leonberger third.
The Pastoral Group was won by a Bearded Collie, an Old English Sheepdog was second and a Briard third.

I still don`t know how the hell the judges can choose one dog in these group things. I know I couldn`t! Best of breed, perhaps, because the dog are the same and there is a standard to follow, but the groups, no way! For instance last nights groups. Working Group includes Danes, Husky, Dobes, Mastifs, Boxers...... And the Pastoral includes Corgi, Rough and Smoth Collies, GSDs, Border Collie, Australian Shepard.... Could you judge? Impartially?

Chris

KYS
03-08-2003, 09:18 AM
Thank you ChrisH,

Her surgery was supppose to be 2 months before
Crufts, but their was an outbreak of something in the
hospital so all non-emergency's surgeries were pushed back.
She ended up in a different hospital than originally
sceduled. Her health insurance is so different than
our's here in the US.
One other thing I noticed, that entires in our "regular"
dog shows have a lot less dogs entered, than over your way.
Over here their might be 10 or so dogs showing
in a particular breed at a "regular" dog show,
where over your way, it is not un-comon to have way over 50 to 100 etc. in one breed alone. Amazes me. :)

Thank you again :)

Albea
03-09-2003, 09:56 AM
Thank for the link Chris.
It makes me miss my trips to the UK very much. I went to Crufts when it was still in London, at Earl's Court in the 80s, and I was living there.
The other great show I always wanted to go to was the Chelsea Flower Show, and I got to do that too. Well, if my travel is rather restricted these days, I have at least wonderful memories of those days.
Hugs to handsome Bob.